• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeST

Quote, United Kingdom   Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:20:57 -0500

is me  $%#Ninj2

:p
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Nexis4Jersey

Quote from: Ryan B. on March 26, 2010, 06:21:37 AM
Westwood, NJ, United States                        Fri, 26 Mar 2010 04:25:39 -0500

Thats me , this thread is getting kinda stalkish  ,  :P

dedgren

Wait's almost over!

DW&W terminus at Tincup Mine, 1923 (personal collection)

Create your own visitor map!

Here's the visit map as of present.  I've noticed that many visits are not captured, or are simply inaccurate,  I can't figure out the time deal myself, for one.  Oh, well, just some fun eye candy stuff, and we did add a few more lurkers to the ranks of the 3RR Regulars*.

Speaking of the Regulars, I've heard elsewhere that our good friend Matt (tahill79) has had some family stuff going on that's kept him kind of scarce as of late.  We're thinking of you here at 3RR, Matt- hang in there!

Later.

David

*  3RR Regulars, no application required, no credit check, no annual fee- just post here, or over at 3RR-ST or the 3RR Blog, at least once.

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

scott1964

Louisville Colorado, but I live nowhere near there.  :o

Unkles27

*wakes up from three year lurking hibernation*

YAAAAWN... Did I miss anything?

EDITMeh... we've done this or that, my friend.  It's great to have you back on board! -DE

dedgren

Okay...

I'm up, had coffee, and have appropriate music going.

Only one last thing stands between us and a day of working on collaboration...

Was this the Progressive® Insurance lady's previous gig?

...inquiring minds want to know...

Today's probably a good day to check in every so often.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

metarvo

If David knows where we all are, then I think we had better do our best on this collaboration.  $%Grinno$%
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

ecoba

I agree. And, that lady does look an awful lot like Flo...  :D

Ethan

dedgren

Which collaborator gets the first quad?

...here's a hint...

We'll see how well you know your 3RR geography before this is over.

Now playing.

"Orange Crush" always make me feel happy- I don't have any idea why.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Rayden

So, you're giving away John's quad first, isn't that so? :thumbsup:

EDITSharp eyes, Silvio.  It seems to me you have a quad coming, too. -DE

mayorfabz

Oh my. That was a HUGE R.E.M. album. My personal favorite goes to World Leader Pretend, apparently the 1st song ever for which the band released lyrics. Hard to believe it has been 21 years already!
Fabien (suddenly feeling old)  &mmm

ecoba

Heh, I know Michael Stipe, nice guy. Living in Athens has it's perks.

Ethan

dedgren

As long as I'm on a roll...

Any guesses as to the second quad, seeing as how Silvio (Rayden) nailed the first so quickly?

Probably one of the easier ones.

So, my great friend and mentor John (Darmok) gets the first collaboration quad to go out.  Here's the topo.

And here's some detail info on the Diddicks-SW quad that we posted on February 17, 2008 [linkie], to honor another great friend, Robin (Rooker1), who had just made 3RR's 2,600th comment.

Can you believe we are just about 7,000 posts down the road just a little over two years later?  Me neither.

[tabular][row][data]Diddicks-SW is a scenic quad located in Diddicks Township in the southeast corner of the region.  Here's the 3RR Atlas [linkie] map with the quad outlined in green.

Here's a few snapshots keyed to the map.

No. 1

Truro is a quaint little unincorporated area that is the main feature of the quad.  Here's its highway sign

and its Gazetteer [linkie] entry.

• Truro (Unincorporated Place - SW Quad Diddicks Twp - lat. 48° 47' 53" N / lon. 94° 44' 34" W - elev. 1,112 ft/329 m amsl.)  Truro is a small urbanized area and associated environs located about midway down the Iron Hook Cape on the eastern shore of Hotham Inlet 3.4 miles/5.6 kilometers by road S of the city of Des Plaines.  The urban center extends a small distance either side of where Regional Route 9, the main road up and down the cape, crosses Truro Creek.  Population (2000 est.): 138.  Local Government:  None.  Police and Fire:  Served by Regional Trooper Post #12 (Des Plaines), Rural Fire Service Station #16 (Des Plaines).  Medical Services:  Privately run open to public emergency care facility.  Postal Service:  Rural Postal Station #38.  Air Service:  None.  Rail Service:  None.  History and General Information:  Truro apparently had its origins in the 1850s as a fishing camp located at the ford across Truro Creek on the trail between Des Plaines and Ellisport.  A small store and private wooden toll bridge were built by one R. Rooker in the 1880s, and the area became known as Rookers as a result.  In the 1920s the area's residents, hoping to attract some of the summer home development that was occurring along the north shore of the inlet between Pineshore and Des Plaines along the DW&W's Des Plaines Spur line by having the line extended south, renamed the area Truro after the popular beachfront town on Cape Cod.  While the line was never built, Truro did gain its own post office and quite a number of summer guest cottages and small resorts.  Rooker's Store, by then operated by great-grandchildren, operated until the start of World War II, when gas rationing and other economic conditions proved too big a challenge to remain in business.  In the 1950s, Regional Route 9 was paved (the last major stretch of secondary highway in the region to have this done), and this only served to further increase the popularity of the area.  By the 1970s, local residents were pretty much uniformly opposed to further development; and this opposition has continued through the current date.  Referenda to incorporate and establish a city government were defeated in 1975, 1993, and most recently 2005.  Despite this opposition, however, the Truro area has grown at an estimated 20-25 residents per year since the year 2000, and a number of McMansions have been built on the area's north and south fringes, and in particular along Truro Creek and on the western slopes of Truro Hill.

Truro Creek flows through the center of the built-up are and is bridged by Regional Route 9.  Local volunteer groups have purchased land along the north bank of the creek and built quite a nice park there.

No. 2

The growing popularity of Truro and the nearby area has made summer traffic a real problem, but discussion of a bypass appears to be about as unpopular as the congestion.

No. 3

Much of the traffic is generated by the small resort cabins, most built in the 1950s and 60s, that line the shores of Diddicks Bay.

No. 4

To the east of Truro north of Regional Route 39 stands Truro Hill.  It's not particularly large as hills go, but it has a commanding view of Diddicks Bay and is a very popular day hike.

No. 5.

Here's Truro Hill's Gazetteer entry.

• Truro Hill (Hill - SW Quad Diddicks Twp - lat. 48° 48' 10" N / lon. 94° 43' 56" W - elev. 1,250 ft/381 m amsl.)  Truro Hill is a small hill located about midway down Iron Hook Cape about half a mile/.8 kilometers ENE of Truro, an unincorporated urban area on the shore of Diddicks Bay.  The hill rises 196 feet/60 meters above the shoreline, and its crest is a popular day-hike for area residents and visitors alike.  The trailhead is along Regional Route 39 about two-tenths of a mile/one-third of a kilometer east of the junction with Regional Route 9.  Truro Hill was named in the 1920s by local residents seeking to call attention to the area in their effort to have the DW&W Railroad extend it is Des Plaines Spur Line south onto the cape.

Truro Creek, while small, is very scenic and may be canoed for much of its length.

It also appears in the Gazetteer.

• Truro Creek (Stream - SW Quad Diddicks Twp - lat. 48° 47' 57" N / lon. 94° 44' 57" W (mouth))  Truro Creek is a small, shallow stream about 1.4 miles/2.3 kilometers in length.  It rises in wooded marshlands in the rough center of Iron Hook Cape and flows westward into Diddicks Bay.  The lower stretches of the stream are particularly scenic, and it flows through the small built-up area of Truro just before reaching the bay.  Truro Creek was named in the 1920s by local residents seeking to call attention to the area in their effort to have the DW&W Railroad extend it is Des Plaines Spur Line south onto the cape.

No discussion of this area would be complete without noting Diddicks Bay, that great expanse of Hotham Inlet the curving shoreline of which is very easy on the eye of local and visitor alike.

No. 7

The Gazetteer entry for Iron Hook Cape is also worth review.

• Iron Hook Cape (Cape - NW, SE and SW Quads Diddicks Twp, NW and NE Quads Iron Hook Township and NE Quad Pine Cone Township  - lat. 94° 47' 23" N / lon. 48° 43' 37" W (area center))  Iron Hook Cape is a cape extending into the Hotham Inlet of Lake of the Woods measuring 7,900 acres/3,200 hectares in total area.  The cape extends out into the waters of the lake about five miles/eight kilometers to the SSW and then curves and extends another 1.6 miles/2.6 kilometers almost due west.  The waters enclosed by the cape are referred to as Diddicks Bay, and the origin of this name is not known.  The cape is apparently named after its shape and began appearing on maps of the area in the 1830s.  It is geologically glacial in origin, and consists of very sandy soils covering a spine of cobble deposited as a moraine.  There are also a number of granite pediments, most notably Nike Site Point and Haystack Rock located at the end of the cape.  The northern landward end of the cape is generally considered to be between the mouth of the Des Plaines River to the west and the mouth of Redfox Creek to the east.  The cape is drained by a number of very small streams: the two largest are Truro Creek and Strechnitz Creek.  The cape is sparsely settled historically and remains so today.  Ellisport, a city at the south end of the cape, has a population (2000) of a little over 2,000.  Truro, an unincorporated area on the west side of the cape about midway up, has a population (2000) of less than 200.  Several hundred more live in widely spread rural homes and the cape's few farms.  Iron Hook Cape's sandy soil is not well-suited for large-scale agricultural purposes by comparison to lands in the rest of the region and main road down the cape, Regional Route 9, was not paved until the 1950s.  Since the 1980s, though, a number of small specialty farms have been established in the southernmost one-third of the cape.  By and large, the remainder of the cape remains heavily wooded, and as a result extremely scenic.  The cape has been a popular tourist destination and summer home location since the mid-20th Century, and the shoreline of Diddicks Bay, in particular, is lined with small resort and family cabins.  The local population has become increasing resistant to development over the past 20 years, however, and this has slowed, but not halted, the construction of the more modern and upscale mega-resort and McMansion-style properties.

Diddicks-SW has a few small farms east of R-9 north of Truro.  Most of the quad, though, remains wooded and undisturbed.  There is no industry to speak of, and this quiet corner of Three Rivers Region remains one of its most lovely, although increasingly discovered, places.[/data][/row][/tabular]

We're getting into the really special stuff now.

Neil Young was a session-man on this puppy [linkie].

We're headed well into the evening with this.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

mightygoose

holy moly... its actually happening...
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

dragonshardz

Quote from: mightygoose on March 27, 2010, 06:07:31 PM
holy moly... its actually happening...

I agree completely.

Four years after collaboration is announced, everything finally falls into place.

Let it begin! Let it begin! LET IT BEGIN!

Ryan B.

And heeere we go!

David, quick question for you before I get cracking on signs for John:

Should Routes 9 & 39 have a secondary route shield?

Thanks!  I hope I'll have some great stuff to you & John here very soon!

EDITHey, Mr. 3RRDOT Commissioner!  Routes 9 and 39

are part of the 3RR regional route system (equivalent to the old federal and state highways in the US, like US 20 in your neck of the woods, Minnesota 74, and the provincial level highways in Canada, as shown).

3RR's secondary routes, like these in Diddicks-SW

are the equivalent of county or local level roads in the U.S. and Canada.

I left the secondary road markers off the Diddicks-SW topo, I've now corrected that [linkie].  I've also attached attached 100x100 pixel PNGs of the shield faces to this post for your use.  Thanks, Ryan
! -DE

OP EDIT:  Thank you for clearing that up!  Off to work I go . . . ;)

ecoba

A great start to collab, David. On a great soundtrack as well!

Ethan

WC_EEND

QuoteMelle, Belgium                                          Thu, 25 Mar 2010 12:26:39 -0500

I'm quite curious about this one...
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

Ryan B.

David, that explanation helped a (metric) ton. 

Pass / fail on these assemblies (the intersection of P-9 & P-39 in Truro):

EDIT:  The MODEL & DESC files are attached below.

EDITThose look incredible, Ryan! -DE

dedgren

Well into the day working, and I had no idea where the time had gone.  Heh!

It'll be Mojito Time® before you know it... no, actually, it's snowing to beat the band here today, and they just aren't just that great without the deck to sit on.  The birds are here, though, and they provide endless amusement.

Heather Report.  Just so nobody thinks I'm wrecking my marriage working on 3RR all weekend, Heather is near sunny Tupelo, Mississippi, where it was 70 degrees/21 Celcius yesterday.  She's helping out her grandparents, who are quite elderly, for a couple of weeks.  I've done nothing, of course, to disabuse her of the notion that I'm remodeling a bathroom, but that's for another day.

By the way, which famous 3RR resident, was born in Tupelo in 1935?

HINT:  He's spotted around here all the time.

So, on to collaboration.  I was thinking of Alex Chilton [linkie] this morning- he passed on recently having many years ago done, as all of us could only hope for, one big thing in his life.  So I listened to one of his later albums.

More Floyd...

...which one's Pink?

...is on right now.  I think Quadrophenia's [linkie] next (Who's next, heh!- you just had to be from My Generation to get it).

So, who's getting the second quad?  I thought the hint I gave yesterday [linkie] was too easy- let's try again.

I'll be rolling a third quad out this weekend, and then one or two out every couple of days after that.  Speaking of collaboration quads, a number of you folks have corresponded to 3RR

by PM asking to be assigned one.  You can be assured that's in the works- this is open to anyone willing to give it a shot.  The more the merrier- it's a big region.

I'm working on a couple of Gazetteer [linkie] entries.  Next post in a bit.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...