• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your Highways!

Started by Travis, April 21, 2007, 09:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Risu

Yeah, I learned the hard way not to place the soundwalls that close to the RHW. &dd Next time I'll leave a row of one or two tiles in between.

Haljackey

Quote from: SimRisu on March 07, 2011, 08:44:08 PM
Yeah, I learned the hard way not to place the soundwalls that close to the RHW. &dd Next time I'll leave a row of one or two tiles in between.

Yeah leaving an extra tile or two between the RHW and soundwalls or any other developments is a good practice. Maybe leave another tile free near interchanges for accel/decel lanes or any other modifications that need to be done for future widening.

Also, building your RHW with a a grassy median 1-2 tiles wide will also enable you to widen your highway without needing much more right of way.

Risu

Quote from: Haljackey
Yeah leaving an extra tile or two between the RHW and soundwalls or any other developments is a good practice. Maybe leave another tile free near interchanges for accel/decel lanes or any other modifications that need to be done for future widening.
I'm haven't got that skill level yet.... D:

Quote from: Haljackey
Also, building your RHW with a a grassy median 1-2 tiles wide will also enable you to widen your highway without needing much more right of way.
That's another good idea. Currently I leave a median one-tilerow wide for trees & lightposts.

jdenm8

I was following the practices of Motorway construction here in the eighties.

Build four-lanes wide, sell the land right up to the hard shoulder, stick soundwalls alongside, add 20 years, Traffic Hellhole!

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Risu

Ohh, so you did it on purpose....?

Haljackey

Here's a video of Highway 8, the route I showed improvements on in the previous page.

The highway forms a partial ring-road system on a tropical island and is an expressway for the majority of it's length. It's showcased for most of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/v/QhsKX_4UdmQ

More info and HD playback via Youtube.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhsKX_4UdmQ

It's an old highway (built in 2006 when I was less skilled at SC4), but the recent upgrades help bring it up to more modern standards.

Cali

"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

lilly72

dedgren

Not a highway, really, but a shot from the first RHW/MIS cloverleaf that I was more or less happy with the ramps in.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

noahclem

Looks great David! Why not add a merging lane for the bottom RHW though?

cammo2003

Quote from: jdenm8 on March 08, 2011, 08:19:01 PM
I was following the practices of Motorway construction here in the eighties present day.

Build four-lanes wide, sell the land right up to the hard shoulder, stick soundwalls alongside, add 20 years, Traffic Hellhole!

Sorry, that needed to be fixed.

Although we don't generally build above ground these days, we tunnel... and run in to the same problems 5 years later, except that it's even more expensive to fix.  :P

jdenm8

Quote from: cammo2003 on March 22, 2011, 08:59:24 PM
Sorry, that needed to be fixed.

Although we don't generally build above ground these days, we tunnel... and run in to the same problems 5 years later, except that it's even more expensive to fix.  :P

XD

Too true... With Can-Do Campbell's tunnel-vision, we'll probably see a lot more tunnels too :P

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Risu

The first cloverleaf I'm actually proud of....

. . . . :-[

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Risu

Why thank you! =3 It isn't often I have stuff worth showing....

Terring7

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

marsh

jacksunny

samerton

Wow.. marsh... that is breathtaking!  &apls &apls

jacksunny

Here are some pics of a sunken highway...