• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your Highways!

Started by Travis, April 21, 2007, 09:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Luckily, being a veritable old man of 26 years now, my voice has de-weirded. :D  I'd recommend picking up some sort of Wave Editor program, however--Audacity is a long-time favorite of mine.  Using a High Pass Filter and some compression (or even the Change Pitch feature, if you're really inclined--though if you go more than a half step out, hilarity may ensue) might help.

Bipin, I'm intrigued by what you have there.  Might have to play around with it myself.

And for those wondering on the stack front, I can confirm that all this "Project 0E" business that has been referenced in the RHW thread is related to the integration of multi-level networking, as well as greatly increasing stability.

-Alex

mike3775

I sound weird whenever I hear my own voice, and I am 36.  So my voice never de-weirded  lol

I like that stacked interchange idea, looks great

DAB_City

Quote from: mike3775 on October 20, 2011, 07:26:03 PM
I sound weird whenever I hear my own voice, and I am 36.  So my voice never de-weirded  lol

I like that stacked interchange idea, looks great

Lol, I love how everyone's gotten onto this conversation! My (also adolescent!) voice becomes higher-pitched when recorded, but I usually instead use a custom-built synthesiser tool for the Mac.

P.S. I really ought to upload some of my motorway (English freeway equivalent) routes here!  :-\
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

Swordmaster

Quote from: Tarkus on October 20, 2011, 07:03:19 PM
Luckily, being a veritable old man of 26 years now

Have we crossed into the realm of Veritable Old Men now?   &mmm
('85 rules)

mike3775

Quote from: Swordmaster on October 21, 2011, 05:17:59 PM
Quote from: Tarkus on October 20, 2011, 07:03:19 PM
Luckily, being a veritable old man of 26 years now

Have we crossed into the realm of Veritable Old Men now?   &mmm
('85 rules)

well you know the age old rule, never trust anyone over 25, as they are old   :P

j-dub

QuoteI'll make sure to add some sort of commentary. Not sure exactly what I'll do though, as the voice of an adolescent doesn't sound too good through a mic.
What is every one talking about? On that show "The Adventures of Finn and Jake", the guy is clearly voiced by a kid, and he does not even have a dropped voice, and thats on television. That is an example that casting directors seem to accept without dropping.

Koenieboy997

I'm planning a new region and because I'm not familiar with the RHW, I made a highway interchange to know the RHW a little better.

This is the junction. The text shows where the highway goes to. I made the directions heading to the ring roads RHW-4, because they will be extra busy. Because it's a busy urban junction, I made it as compact as possible. And because there isn't an rhw-6 exit with a turning RHW-4 (I don't know how you say that in english), I used the RHW-6 A2/B2 exit pieces (is there another better workaround?).
Does it look realistic and does anybody have tips to make it more realistic?

I'm also facing a problem when I plop lane reduction pieces. Sometimes when I plop a piece, it faces the opposite direction. Does anybody know a solution?
‎(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Dexter

@Koenieboy997

Great interchange you've made there :thumbsup:.  Regarding the lane reduction arrows, you'll find that the tab ring contains a version for the left lane ending and another for the right lane ending, as well as versions with the block markings.  Maybe you're confusing them as they appear similar in the preview.
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

MandelSoft

Note the difference between the exit arrows (left at the picture below) and the lane reduction arrows (right):

The lane reduction arrow shows that a lane will soon end, so you have to change lanes. Exit arrows show that the road splits in several directions.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Koenieboy997

@Dexter That's not the problem. I also tried to plop the wrong direction first and then plop the right direction, but it didn't work out. Sometimes I also get the problem I can't view the preview of an item, and have to drag it around and then sudden it appears. Is that a similar problem?
‎(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

Swordmaster

I like the style of the arrows, Maarten, but aren't they just a bit too large? I've been looking at some RL examples in wikimapia and they all measure 8m at most, while yours appear to take up an entire tile. I could be wrong, though.

Haljackey

I think my scale's a little out of wack:

Click for full size.

DAB_City

These all look great! Maybe I really should post some of my highways here...

I think that this is a suitable point for me to say R.I.P. to all the victims of the tragic M5 catastrophe on Friday. My thoughts are with all those affected by this horrible accident. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-15603124
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

Original

CARmageddon! Not a traffic generator in sight either!   :satisfied:

The city is still highly under developed, this highway is expected to become more congested.

After expansions of this free way in the near future. Traffic would probably look like this...

Swordmaster

Awesome corridor you've got there!

Risu

Quote from: Original on November 06, 2011, 01:22:55 PMAfter expansions of this free way in the near future. Traffic would probably look like this...
I predict this to be a reality in a decade or two. Or at least in China, that is. In America, our infrastructure is so crumbly it isn't even worth expanding.

mike3775

Quote from: Risu on November 06, 2011, 03:14:50 PM
Quote from: Original on November 06, 2011, 01:22:55 PMAfter expansions of this free way in the near future. Traffic would probably look like this...
I predict this to be a reality in a decade or two. Or at least in China, that is. In America, our infrastructure is so crumbly it isn't even worth expanding.

Actually its easier to get expansion shot down at the earliest of stages now then it used to be.  If the rules and regulations in place today were around when Eisenhower proposed his Interstate system, we would still be driving on dirt roads today

Risu

Guise, I was joking. $%Grinno$% I could tell that it'd been Photosh00ped, and I hope you could too. Look at some of each of the cars, and you'll see duplicates.

mike3775

Quote from: Risu on November 06, 2011, 06:02:36 PM
Guise, I was joking. $%Grinno$% I could tell that it'd been Photosh00ped, and I hope you could too. Look at some of each of the cars, and you'll see duplicates.

I know it was a fake photo, but the way parts of California are expanding, that could be a reality some day, especially around LA where they desperately need more highway lanes 

But my last point is true, they have been wanting to extend a 2 lane road only 3 miles in my area since 1982(yes almost 30 yrs now), and they did an environmental study in 1983, 1985, 1987, 1989, 1990, 1993, 2001, 2005, and in 2009 (those results are still pending 2 yrs later), and every time that was done, they found a reason not to extend the road(the best one was the fact that a species of turtle would not be able to migrate to mate, even though the proposed extension would be a floating bridge or a 4 ft high bridge all the way through as the area is basically a marsh.  The state bought the easements in 1982 for all 3 miles, and also for 10 additional miles where the road already is(for expansion to 4 lanes with turn lanes/drive around lanes where needed) as well, and the environmental report finds nothing to stop that from occurring, but the state cannot widen it unless the extension is done because all the money for that has been allocated since 1983, and money has also been allocated in 1986, 1990, 1997, and 2006 to keep up with the costs.  What was going to cost $4.6 million in 1983, is now going to cost $17.4 million(allocated so far is $13.6 million, but the county is covering the rest), all because idiots find a BS reason to stop a road from being built.  The county needs that road to be extended/widened big time as truck traffic has increased and that road is horrible at shift change times at the mills, as it is only 1 of 2 roads in the county that goes North to South for as long as it does, and the western portion of the county needs a major North/South route desperately.

j-dub

Meanwhile, they spend millions of federal money on bridges in my state that ultimately end up under used.