• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your Highways!

Started by Travis, April 21, 2007, 09:00:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike3775

Quote from: Gurning_Chimp on November 20, 2011, 02:39:32 PM
Quote from: mike3775 on November 20, 2011, 02:32:23 PM
No, I had a city once where it was an island and I had the big dig go underground right after the neighbor connection and go all the way to the other side and come up to a neighbor connection and had the offramps on the island and they took it

Wow! They need to make Big Dig LHD!

I wish the Big Dig would become RHW compliant somehow, it would make things so much easier, especially with water crossings

Gurning_Chimp

Quote from: mike3775 on November 20, 2011, 04:31:41 PM
Quote from: Gurning_Chimp on November 20, 2011, 02:39:32 PM
Quote from: mike3775 on November 20, 2011, 02:32:23 PM
No, I had a city once where it was an island and I had the big dig go underground right after the neighbor connection and go all the way to the other side and come up to a neighbor connection and had the offramps on the island and they took it

Wow! They need to make Big Dig LHD!

I wish the Big Dig would become RHW compliant somehow, it would make things so much easier, especially with water crossings

They just need to completely overhaul the tunnel system it seems.

By the way, ILL_TONKSO's tunnel only transports pedestrians.

Haljackey

Very nice work art128! It does in fact remind me of that tunnel under Tokyo Bay.

I have a new video to share. It involves driving on highways in a mountainous area, ascending and descending through the hills before reaching the city at the base.

http://www.youtube.com/v/FRxW_o4gsU8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRxW_o4gsU8

Anyways enjoy! Hopefully the video window worked. You can click the link above if not or if you want high quality and more info.

Gurning_Chimp

Brill video Hal! Love the music!

Where did you get The Gherkin by the way?

art128

Thanks guys! Excellent video, Haljackey! I lol'd at the two plane landing at the very same time! :D
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Risu

Quote from: art128 on November 20, 2011, 10:55:51 PM
I lol'd at the two plane landing at the very same time! :D
Really? I reacted to that diffrently. I was all, "woah cool, that's unexpected."

Either way, Hal's videos are fun to watch. ;D

mike3775

Nice combination of both MHW and RHW Haljackey.  I love your video's and pictures because you do such an awesome job on things(so do others as well). 

PS I hope you really don't drive like that in real life, that poor little mini car getting pushed into the arrow sign was just mean  :)

Risu

MHW is sooo underrated. Heck, I use it all the time - Only becos' I haven't learned how to make all those fancy RHW interchanges yet.

DAB_City

Quote from: Risu on November 21, 2011, 10:31:33 AM
MHW is sooo underrated. Heck, I use it all the time - Only becos' I haven't learned how to make all those fancy RHW interchanges yet.

That's what I said when I started on SimCity... I've just (unintentionally!) scrapped my Timbuktu region, so my new one will be RHW from the ground up.  ???
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

Haljackey

Thanks guys!

Never underestimate Maxis highways. They can look terrific in certain scenarios, although I admit I rarely use them anymore. In the video I showed a ground highway climbing hilly terrain with lots of curves before entering an urban area. Once you enter a city they become more difficult to make them look good, so I usually switch to RHW :P.

Many classify the Maxis Highway as a grade 'b' highway, 1 below RHW. This makes little sense from the game's mechanical standpoint, but in realism and game appearance it does.

Risu

Quote from: Haljackey on November 21, 2011, 08:41:26 PM
Many classify the Maxis Highway as a grade 'b' highway, 1 below RHW. This makes little sense from the game's mechanical standpoint, but in realism and game appearance it does.
You make it sound as tho' there's also a grade 'C' highway?

Meastro444

Haljackey, if you drive like that in the Netherlands you would get ticketed you know. Unnecesary driving on the left. ;D
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

mike3775

Quote from: Risu on November 21, 2011, 10:31:33 AM

My main issue with MHW is the fact that they have barriers on the sides, where no interstates where I live have concrete walls off the shoulders when they are on the ground.  Plus you have to destroy buildings and roads to plop an interchange in when laying one, where with RHW, you still have destroy some, but you can squeeze interchanges in to fit the surroundings better.  Also you can use RHW as a bypass far easier than MHW because you can easily make street connections to it(I live near a 4 lane state highway that has at grade intersections with or without traffic lights on them), where with MHW you can't do that.

Like Haljackey states, MHW still has uses in the game, but RHW has taken over a majority of the uses for it to me.

Haljackey

Quote from: Risu on November 22, 2011, 12:17:15 AM

You make it sound as tho' there's also a grade 'C' highway?

Perhaps a grade 'c' highway would be a RHW with intersections instead of interchanges (expressway rather than freeway).
-It could also be a RHW or Maxis Highway without smooth curves and/or steep slopes. Interchanges could be very tight and not up to standards (like no merging room or weaving).

It all really depends on the player. That's what makes this game so interesting. There is no universal standard (unlike Real Life), and that's why we all like to look at creations from others.

bat

Great video, Haljackey! Also nice work on the highways!!!

Terring7

I like using both M.H.W. and R.H.W., as well as mixing them :thumbsup:. The original highways are very simple in construction and very futuristic-looking, especially with some extra stuff ;D. My favourite Real highway is the double decker, because it's space saver and very futuristic ;D. I have an idea about how to use them both, but my C.D. drivers refuse to read any C.D.-R.O.M., including Simcity :'(. I'll show you some examples when the problem fix :)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Haljackey

I've created a new 10-lane RHW. I wish there were some medians for these, like the RHW-6/8C.

Risu

Quote from: Haljackey on November 24, 2011, 09:27:56 AM
I've created a new 10-lane RHW. I wish there were some medians for these, like the RHW-6/8C.

It's very good! But it looks so underutilised....

mike3775

Might be in a growing city and traffic will increase over time.  Thats why when I lay my highways, I always leave enough room on both sides to expand if need be.  I actually had a city once where I ended up having a RHW-10 maxed out and had to build an elevated RHW-4 in the median as express lanes to relieve the pressure off of the RHW-10

Haljackey

Quote from: mike3775 on November 24, 2011, 12:48:04 PM
Might be in a growing city and traffic will increase over time.  Thats why when I lay my highways, I always leave enough room on both sides to expand if need be.  I actually had a city once where I ended up having a RHW-10 maxed out and had to build an elevated RHW-4 in the median as express lanes to relieve the pressure off of the RHW-10

Makes sense to me. I usually will widen over time but this time I just decided to go for it. I did include an extra tile on both sides on the overpass for a future C/E system though, so there's still work that can be done.