• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Question about bridge shadows.

Started by buddybud, February 08, 2012, 07:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buddybud

I made this bridge to replace the horrible in game default elrail bridge. Instead of batting it i used one of the road bridge models and adjusted the exemplars accordingly, changed some textures and narrowed it some in reader. It works fine but  for the life of me i can't figure out how to attach shadows to the underside of the bridge. I tried using the same method as used for network models but that doesn't seem to work. Been through the simcity dats a couple times and have failed to find anything of value. Searching i have come across references to controllers and ruls. Is this how it's done?? Anyways I hate to start a new topic but seeing that choco is afk at the moment i thought i would throw this here. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

choco

hey bud!  nice to see ya again!  :thumbsup:

its actually pretty easy to do, and it looks like you already have the shadow for the base network.  you simply need to remap the bridge exemplars to use that shadow.

open the bridge controller in the reader and have a look at the .INI file.  near the top is the "shadow remapping" section.  i believe there is a small explanation at the begginning of the section explaining the notion, masks, etc. 

buddybud

&apls  Ok...Found it! Thanks for the tip...i never thought to look into the ini files. Right away i can see that because i changed the instances of the bridge models it couldn't map a shadow to the puzzle pieces. I'll noodle around with this some and post back on results. Much appreciated as always and i hope all is well!

Bud

noahclem

buddybud

:thumbsup:

Glad you like it noahclem!

Also noticed in the same file i can map out repetitive shadows for my el network intersections...thanks again for sharing choco!

a very happy hippy Bud.... :satisfied:

Edit...

Just in case your wondering why i replaced the default bridge rather than just including an additional one, here's the full reason....

The default bridge is built from pylons and the standard orth puzzle piece. Makes it worse than even the regular default....lol.

Edit #2

On a side note i was able to add my custom shadows to my elrail network intersections using this method also. It will save me lots of time and effort thanks to you choco! I thought i would have to include x number of identical shadows for x number of intersections with the same el over head. Awesomeness.

Again Thank You Kindly
Bud

choco

excellent!  it certainly is a huge time saver....

:thumbsup: