• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAM 2.1.0 Uploaded and ready

Started by InvisiChem, January 28, 2016, 02:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bombardiere

Ok, that didn't went well. :( The installation failed with IR FIX. It deleted the simcity_1.dat file but failed to create a new one. It gave me an error, but I didn't realise to take a screen capture. The error refered to a log file but I can't find one. The Dat packer did not run. I don't have that program, but I did understood that it wasn't neccesary.

The file simcity_1.dat is now missing and I need to re-install SC4.

My OS is Win7 and I have GOG version of the game.

bombardiere

New attempt. Now the install says that IR FIx is already installed even though I made full re-install and the game is now vanilla Rush Hour. Ok, I need to try with Mac manual install.

sputnik1969

I use sc4 digital from steam, after using the install the game would not start.
After some digging I found the SimCity_1.dat file in a new folder called "original SimCity files" in the my documents section for the game.
I moved this file to the program files version of SimCity with the rest of the SimCity .dat files and then made a new shortcut from steam (right click game name, properties, create shortcut) and it now works.
I also noticed in the program files version of SimCity in the sku_data file that it contained sku1 (American) and sku2 (European) so I have deleted the one I don't use.
Hope this helps.

InvisiChem

@bombardiere  Let me modify the installer real quick to allow an option to run the IR Fix anyways. The installer is definitely not one of my strong points. I'm very interested in seeing what the error is so I can fix it, but we shall go with what we have for now.

I do wish you would have waited to reinstall, but great that it is done. The backup SimCity_1.dat file should have been created in the \Documents\Original SimCity Files\   directory. This could have saved some time.

If you don't wish to wait for the new installer, I'm going to step you through the removal of a single registry key to get it back running correctly.
1. click the start orb.
2. in the white box at the bottom, type regedit
3. click the "Registry Editor" entry that comes up or just press enter
4. Click yes on the UAC Message that pops up
5. On the left pane will be a series of keys. Click on the plus sign to the left of HKEY_CURRENT_USER
6. Click the plus sign next to SOFTWARE
7. Right click the Colossus Addon Mod entry and select Delete.
8. Agree with the warning.
9. Close regedit and rerun the installer.

The only problem with going the route of the MAC verision is you need to have a knowledge of JDat Pack or SC4 Dat packer to merge the files correctly. This is what the installer is supposed to do. Just in case, here is the directions for SC4 Dat Packer.

1. Extract the Mac Version into your \Documents\SimCity 4\  directory.
2. Create a folder in \Documents\SimCity 4\Original SimCity Files\
3. Download Dat Packer http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=26 and install that.
4. Copy your SimCity_1.dat file to \Documents\SimCity 4\Original SimCity Files\
5. Make another copy of your SimCity_1.dat file to the \Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\SimCity_1\  directory
     NOTE: In this directory is already a file named z_CAM_2.1.0_Stand_Permanent Merge.dat
6. Run SC4 Dat Packer
7. Select just the SimCity_1 listing in the main program window
8. Click start, then close on the window when it pops up and is done, then quit on the main SC4 Dat Packer window.
9. Open the \Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\Plugins Compressed\ folder
10. Copy this SimCity_1.dat file to your SimCity 4 install directory, overwrite if asked.
11. Delete the \Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\SimCity_1\   directory.
12. Delete the \Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\Plugins Compressed\  directory
13. Follow the rest of the instructions in the MAC version to finish Installing the CAM

I know this is a lot of instructions. This is what makes the Installer so complicated, it really is doing a lot. I apologize for my failure to foresee these issues and I will do everything I can to make sure this does not happen again. I'll post here once I have the new installer up.
Everyone has something to offer, most do not possess the courage to offer it.

InvisiChem

@sputnik1969 The copy that you copied over was your original SimCity_1.dat file. This means the IR Fix is not applied. Now, lets figure out what happened.

I imagine from the symptoms when you move the SimCity_1.dat file back to the SimCity 4 install directory, it did not ask you to overwrite the file. Please tell me if this is correct?

If this is correct, then this means the DatPacker failed to create the SimCity_1.dat file from the merged files, but the rest of the installer ran correctly.

Let me update the installer for the same reason as bombardiere had and we can troubleshoot this further. I'll also be adding a check to make sure the file was created before removing the original from the Install Directory.

If you do not wish to wait, the same steps above will work in your case. If you do follow these steps, please let me know how this went and if there was any problems so I can fine tune everything.

Thank you both for your patience and I apologize for these problems. This will help me to build a better product for everyone though.

InvisiChem

Installer update complete. Even if the Registry entry has been set that the IR Fix has been applied, you can still select to apply it again. If you are unsure, go ahead and reapply the patch. It won't hurt anything.

It also checks for a SimCity_1.dat merged file from SC4 Dat Packer before deleting the SimCity_1.dat from the SimCity install directory. If the merged file is missing, it will give you an option to continue the install, but warn you the packing failed.

sputnik1969 and bombardiere, this update is specifically for you guys so nothing has to be done manually. Again, thank you for the reports. This allows me to produce a higher quality product with less failures.

bombardiere

Yes I did find that the installer made a copy simcity_1.dat and exe. After I did reinstall. :) Anyway that is  good practise by you. I know better next time.

I also found error text. I attach it to this post in case it is any use to you.

My Oparating System is not happy about changes. I have had Windows 7 only few months but I have already learn that it doesn't like if programs try to change files in "my Documents" of in "Programs Files" folders. Security features no doubt, but hey I want to control my computer, not some bloody Seattle guy. :D

I have had similar type issues with NAM 33. It did install but made my SC4 prone to crash. I am guessing that some vital part did no install correctly or not all files were removed and the was conflict with the files.

In general I don't like install program with BAT. Of course with complex NAM or in your case the need for Datpack, the installer is justified.

P.S. Attachment does not accept txt files so I converted it to pdf. I think the top line says it all "Access Violation."

sputnik1969

The install worked this time with no problems. Thank you for your help and making mods which make SC4 a keeper.

InvisiChem

No problem. Just glad to be creating content and sharing my positive experiences with others. More to come, for sure. If you want, join the CAM 2 Farming discussion and help out with the debate. :)

bombardiere

Still no joy. :( I have tried 3 times your new installer. I only get this error message. I tried to follow that path but there was no log file. Just empty folder. I have set the lowest user right level so that should not give acces problems.

However I got a new folder in SC4 plugin folder. Simcity_1 It contains one file z_CAM_2.1.0_Stand_Permanet Merge.dat Size is 1 KB

Is this what should happen? Edit Yes, I can see from the installer messages that you sugget I manually merge that file with Simcity_1.dat Ok I get it :)

During the installation I got text document pop up. It say to choose destination for DatPacker, but I never got any option to choose. Just this error pop up.

Mero90

@bombardiere

maybe you need Visual C++ 2003 libraries, I had the same error when i tried to run the installer on Wine. I installed those libraries and everything worked.

InvisiChem

Mero, that is a very good idea.

@bombardiere Yes, the problem is having to do with SC4 Dat Packer failing to load on your system. Unfortunately, the only way I would be able to fix this is to rewrite it or build a program to merge the file myself (Currently outside my scope but planned for future installs)

In this very rare case, I highly suggest installing SC4 Dat Packer manually, and using the MAC version to manually install. I would love to be able to send a merged SC4.dat file, but that would be a very large file and against the EA/Maxis User Agreement and SC4Devotion Upload Agreement.

Bombardiere, use the steps provided by me in a previous post. Feel free to PM me with any parts you may be unclear about at all. I'll also ask that you install iLive's Reader http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=656 just long enough to verify the merger.

Worst case scenario, I will step you through every change manually with the reader, but we will only go that route if absolutely necessary. Reader does not like to save files this large.

Please, PM Me and I will step you through everything. Be patient, I do work graveyard shifts tonight.

Zeratai

`Hi, I recently downloaded CAM 2 but the exe wont run. I cant give more details because there arenĀ“t. I only double click the exe and nothing happens. Also I tried tu run as an Admin but still nothing happened. I notice that when I run the .exe in task manager 3 process open dont know why but nothing else happens. I leave a pic of the task manager.

InvisiChem

Looking into this for sure. Windows has initiated the process threads, but failed to operate the executable or is stalled on the Init script.

I'm not seeing anything in the NSIS .onInit function that should be causing this. This is going to be a manual install for now. For the next increment, I will write the installer using InstallShield and see if that helps with some compatibility issues. For now, follow these steps exactly.

1. Extract the Mac Version (http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3336)into your      \Documents\SimCity 4\  directory. (If you have changed your plugins directory, change this path)
2. Create this folder  \Documents\SimCity 4\Original SimCity Files\
3. Download Dat Packer http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=26 and install.
4. Copy your SimCity_1.dat file to \Documents\SimCity 4\Original SimCity Files\
5. Make another copy of your SimCity_1.dat file to the \Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\SimCity_1\  directory
     NOTE: In this directory is already a file named z_CAM_2.1.0_Stand_Permanent Merge.dat
6. Run SC4 Dat Packer
7. Select just the SimCity_1 listing in the main program window
8. Click start, then close on the window when it pops up and is done, then quit on the main SC4 Dat Packer window.
9. Open the \Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\Plugins Compressed\ folder
10. Copy this SimCity_1.dat file to your SimCity 4 install directory, overwrite if asked.
11. Delete the \Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\SimCity_1\   directory.
12. Delete the \Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\Plugins Compressed\  directory

This will have patched your SimCity_1.dat file

13. Open \Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\a__CAM\a__Core\
14. Remove the files you do not want. You must keep the MainController and only one PlayStyle. If you keep the Rural PlayStyle, you also must keep the FarmOverride file.

That will install your CAM and patch the file. You will not have the registry entries or uninstaller, but that will be fixed with the next increment. I am getting better with installers, so I do greatly apologize for my failures here.

A final note, The FarmOverride file can be kept with all playstyles, it just provides a ton of boost to the normal farm demand drives. I suggest removing it if you are not using rural cam though.

I'm not sure what is causing the stall right now, so I'll look into it a lot more.

Mero90

After playing with CAM for a while, I got some conclusions and suggestions.

The CAM controller fixes very well how the game handles RCI demands and workforce distribution. I'd recommend it to all players.
So, would be nice to add in the installer the option to install only the controller and the playstyle (like the NAM does with the traffic simulator).

I'm telling you this, because before installing the CAM i had some low-rise R overrides (I don't like how those maxis buildings look like). Those overrides don't work while the "CAM_2.1.0_Buildins.dat" file is in the CAM folder (removing it the situation is reverted).

What do you think about this?
There are some people, other than me, who could use this option?

I also tested the IRM (CAM version) with I-D and I-M Addons.
Addon lots fits quite well with low stages, they provide approximately the same jobs amount per tile.

InvisiChem

Thank you for your detailed and great observations. These help out a lot with further development.

I actually contemplated the optional install or not install of certain features, the Farm Demand boost with the rural CAM added to other PlayStyles, but found I lack in experience with installer scripting to make it happen quite yet. I am learning how to use the InstallShield scripting, both to make the installer more compatible and less buggy than the NSIS installer I'm currently using, and to give me a smoother scripting language I'm more familiar with.

The buildings file contains:
the original CAM 1.0 altered maxis files for all but IR
the Nuclear Power Plant, Solar Power Plant and Medical clinic with fixed workforce values(Workforce bug like IHT)
IR Buildings unchained from their parent cohorts along with the query fix and altered workforce and pollution values.

The problems you are facing tell me these share the same TGI as your custom buildings and the original Maxis buildings. An easier fix would be to put your custom buildings in a folder that starts with a letter after a (i.e. B_LowriseR, LowriseR, etc.), to load after the a__CAM folder. This should override my buildings file, while retaining the fixes. Make sure they're not just in the Plugins folder. If I remember right, it loads these first and then folders.

I would make this an optional install except the altered stages and occupancy values are necessary to keep balance with the new stage settings. Since the original CAM used older modified values, I am currently separating out the buildings and updating them with the current PIM-X values for an incremental release. With this, overriding in the same fashion should work well still.

I am very happy to hear the IRM Addon Lots have similar occupancies. I personally really like the mod. I don't use it while developing and testing, but I do use it when playing casually. :)

I hope this helps out a bit. The game will play without the buildings file, just quite a few stage 7 and stage 8 maxis buildings are quite out of density ranges for CAM.

Mero90

Making my low-rise overrides load after a_CAM doesn't fix this issue, however I merged them with CAM_2.1.0_Buildins.dat and it worked, this should keep all other balances.  :thumbsup:

I can't say now if I-D and I-M Addons fit well with industry higher stages, I'll continue to play with IRM to see how factories develop.

One more think, I used JDatPacker
http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3140

If you succeed into run it in the installer would be great, many people haven't Visual C++ 2003 libraries installed since they are old. ()testing()

InvisiChem

QuoteMaking my low-rise overrides load after a_CAM doesn't fix this issue, however I merged them with CAM_2.1.0_Buildins.dat and it worked, this should keep all other balances.  :thumbsup:

Can't argue with that fix for sure  :D Glad it worked out.

I know there was someone working on the IRM Addon packs awhile back. They never did release it out, as far as I know. I was reading there was an easily solved problem with the modifications, but shouldn't be too hard to get them going. Just very time consuming. I noticed Twrecks is very flexible about this type of modification to his mod. After I get done with this, I'll take a look at them if noone gets to them first.

From your observation, is JDatPacker as friendly to use as SC4 Dat Packer in an installation? The purpose of using Dat Packer was to remove as much user interaction as possible without rewriting the program. I originally was going to use command line arguments, but this ended up corrupting my SimCity_1.dat instead. Any info you have to make that happen would work very well, especially for compatibility reasons. :)

Tyberius06

Hello!

First of all, thanks your hard work.

Quotethe I-HT bug is fixed in this version. The cause of the bug was the Census drives asking for 10% R$ 80% R$$ 10% R$$$. Since the R$ and R$$$ were the same, the bug cause I-HT to not hire any R$$$. The new values are 15% R$ 60% R$$ 25% R$$$. No bug possible.

About the quote: Do I need to install the full package or just a part of it to fix the I-HT bug, because at this moment I wouldn't like to use the rest of the benefits of the CAM.

I had a fixed Simcity_1.dat file, fixed by the I-HT census mod, but lately I needed to reinstall the game (digital copy). Now I wanted to "reinstall" the  I-HT census aswell (before I read your post about the fixed I-HT bug), but I can see in the datpacker the notice: useless file, all entries have been superseed in: ....plugins\Simcity_1IH_census_10_78_12.dat
Well I'm not sure what exactly means that, but the new SC_1 dat file is smaller then the original, and I can't recall that I read this notice the last time, when I "installed" the I-HT census.

Thanks any help and advice! :)

Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Mero90

@Tyberius06

I don't know how CAM files exactly have been built, but I imagine that the I-HT fix is somewere in the two .dat files in Plugins/a__CAM/a__Core.

@InvisiChem

Both DatPackers have some pros and cons.

SC4DatPacker:

Pros

• Gives a detailed report about the process.
  • Gives the possibility to choose, inside the input folder, which folders to compress.

Cons

• Cannot choose the input folder (only SimCity 4/Plugins).
  • While compressing some lots gave me an error (more than once) which made the final .dat corrupted.

JDatPacker:

Pros

• Crossplatform.
  • Let you chose both input and output folders.

Cons

• Will compress all folders inside the input folder.