• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CAM - inCAMpatible Mods

Started by RippleJet, August 03, 2007, 05:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ocram

What is the compatibility status of the recently released SimPeg Agricultural Mod?
If you always do YOUR best you will always be better than the best.

Can't think of anything better for a sig.

huntingfire

The SPAM readme said incompatible.

RippleJet

jmyers2043

It is not CAMpatible.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

SlimShady

Would one get into trouble if one made it CAMpatible for ones self?  :D

travismking

shouldnt you be able to datpack it with simcity_1 and Cam to avoid the problems? I was thinking about this, but not quite sure if it would work to avoid the problems

RippleJet

Since SPAM changes the same Industrial Resource developer exemplar as CAM does, you cannot use them both at the same time.
Effectively, SPAM would disable stage 6 and 7 CAM farms. I'll add a detailed report about SPAM up in the opening post later on. ;)

On the other hand, SPAM lots should grow in CAM as well, since CAM already enables all growth stages that SPAM is adding... :)

Quote from: SlimShady on April 15, 2011, 08:48:22 PM
Would one get into trouble if one made it CAMpatible for ones self?  :D

No, and I think Jim already did that for himself... ::)
Should be quite easy too... just run the SPAM lots through PIM-X. ;)

travismking

Thing is, I really like how spam changes the farming, its not just the lots that I like, Its that it also allows them to grow in all EQ levels, and have mid and high wealth jobs, makes them more like I-M instead of I-R. I'm trying to find a way to be able to use SPAM and CAM at the same time.

FrankU

Yes, and I am interested in the same subject as well.

A long time ago I once asked if it were possible to have agricultural lots with higher education levels. The answer at that time was No, but apparently there is a Yes possible. It makes me very curious.

I have the feeling that SPAM does not only add the two higher stages, at least not the way CAM does. So I'm afraid that there is more to this. I just am not able to find out what. Maybe RippleJet and Paeng can do this together?
It would be great to have SPAM lots in CAM areas, or the other way around (CAM lots in SPAM areas?)

And of course it is possible to edit SPAM lots with Pim-X, to make them CAM patible, but that'.st quite a job.

Lowkee33

The simplest thing you can do is copy/paste all 7 of Stage Vs Size from the CAM IR Developer exemplar into the SPAM developer exemplars.  This will at least have you able to grow all of the CAM lots in an education friendly environment.   

There is no reason to assume that the SPAM lot stages increase like the CAM stages, and for that you would go into PIMX and "fix" everything.  With a tool like PIMX, going from SPAM to CAM is easier than going from CAM to SPAM.

The exemplar that has R$$$ working in farms is the IR Census, this could be taken out of SPAM and used alone much like the 5% R$$ working in... that come with CAM (though I am not sure the % that SPAM uses).

Fukuda's IR Placement Mod does the trick if you are looking to keep odd zoning possibilities.

FrankU

Sorry Carl,
This is way above my head.

What I'd like to know is:
Is it really possible to use the SPAM and the CAM together? Maybe first load CAM and then SPAM, so that SPAM overwrites the CAM agricultural stuff?
I'd use SPAM for the agricultural developments and lots and CAM for the others (ID,IM,IH, R and C).
Meaning: I'd use only CAM stage 1 to 5 lots and SPAM lots. I simply won't use CAM stage 6 and 7 lots. Would that work?
Meaning also: if I make my own farming lots I can make them simply with Pim-X, but make only lots up to stage 5.

Lowkee33

I think you would be just fine with that, though another SPAM conversation goes on Here.  CAM aught to be datpacked into SimCity to avoid double demand anyway, so SPAM should load last.  My general impression is that SPAM is for farms, and farms only.  While farms may not be CAMs strong side, at least other things can happen as well, other people are testing the mod out though, and I think I will shut up about the matter. 

FrankU

And I probably should too.
Maybe I'll just wait what comes up.

On the other hand: my Dutch farms set is growing and I'd hate it if I had to do a lot of work over again because some kind of incompatibility shows up.
At least the lots and textures of SPAM are beautiful, and I'll probably use them in my own lots. But that's maybe besides the point of compatibility discussions.

Lowkee33

Your farms are completely compatible.  However, looking at SPAM from the Reader side (and not the in-game side) I would say that SPAM farms generally have a higher Capacity than other farms, so yours may be stage 1/2 compared to SPAM.

The SPAM fields have a capacity of at least 36 so I wouldn't use those (Actually, they offer ID and IM jobs too, I don't know how well a SPAM field will work in a non-SPAM world).  This is exactly what PIMX is for though.

FrankU

Ha, nice to know.

My aim is to make the lots via Pim-X. So the question is more: will they behave nicely in SPAM surroundings? Furthermore I will use some pre-made SPAM lots in my areas. And Í will probably use some props and textures from the SPAM in my own lots. So the fields and buildings will be all Pim-X'ed. So there won't be a problem I guess.

Lowkee33

Quote from: FrankU on April 18, 2011, 07:25:54 AM
So the question is more: will they behave nicely in SPAM surroundings?

I guess for this you would have actually play the game.  :P  I would build a pre-SPAM farm city with your lots and then throw SPAM into the mix.  SPAM does make life better for farms, so I imagine you would see an improvement there.

However, your farms will have a tough time competing once SPAM is in.  The Capacity of the Farm buildings is many times more than those given by PIMX.  The Building Value, which is one factor in what building SC4 grows, is often 2x that that PIMX gives.

SPAM makes farms work, but the effects on other building types is quite large.   

gamzdude

how can the stander uncapped  jobs/ residents uncapped  in the rci muitly be inCAMpatible  i mean they don't do any to the mod except stop the annoying cap to increase so i can make my city as big as i want to they don't modify the jobs or stages also  i played with those files before  and nothing was wrong so if you can explane why they may not be fine ripple jet i will be happy :)

xxdita

Quote from: gamzdude on July 31, 2011, 12:49:23 PM
how can the stander uncapped  jobs/ residents uncapped  in the rci muitly be inCAMpatible  i mean they don't do any to the mod except stop the annoying cap to increase so i can make my city as big as i want to they don't modify the jobs or stages also  i played with those files before  and nothing was wrong so if you can explane why they may not be fine ripple jet i will be happy :)

It's been ages since I've looked at the RCI Multi mods. By "removing caps", you mean eliminating the factors that determine whether an area of the city is ready for a particular Stage to grow;  such as Power, Water, Fire Protection, and Park Facilities? Then yes, it would be inCAMpatible, since it would create an extreme style of play, not in accordance to CAM's original design.

That alone of course does not mean the mod would not work with CAM installed; but it would create an extreme sort of game play, like most other "cheat" mods, directly disrupting CAM's natural flow of building stage placement within your cities. Then you face likely abandonment issues if you have not prepared the area in other ways as well.

You want BIGGER FASTER BETTER MOAR!!!? Check the LEX for xxturbo :)

gamzdude

hi i have made a cool stage mod right here http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/26589-radicle-stage-mod/
and i think that it does not work with the cam so if it is incompatible please add it to the list thanks :)

thoffman

Hi all,

I've recently downloaded a ton of "Simgoober's lots/model packs" - some of which apparently are containing "CAMeLots". Since Simgoober unfortunately decided to pack everything into single .dat files, I can't easily single out or separate the relevant buildings from the rest...I am tempted to just leave them be. What would happen (if anything), should I attempt to run a (new) game with a bunch of CAMeLots sitting in my plugins folder, without CAM actually being installed as well?

Would those CAMeLot-buildings just not advance to the next stage and stay at whichever stage they initially appeared at, would they not spawn at all, or would there be any other undesirable effects occuring?

Sorry if this has been covered already somewhere, I tried using the search but the support threads here have grown beyond "searchability" it would seem..70+ pages, sheesh. ;-)

Regards,
TH