• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your ... Region shots

Started by Giligone, January 25, 2007, 07:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adrianor

@RBC: Wow! What an excellent picture! I think you've a good job so far, specially the northeastern section! What's the region size?

RBC

Quote from: adrianor on September 09, 2010, 07:36:46 PM
What's the region size?

It's 4x4 large city tiles. Blade2k5's original map:

http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=22617

...is 7x8 but i cutted the map square and resized it. Tried the original map at first, but it was  to massive. The problem with realistic sized maps from the real world is, that buildings, parks, interchanges etc. in SC4 isn't realisticly sized.

Nexis4Jersey

Its not quite finished or polished yet , but i thought i'd show it off.    I got hyper and started building up the Urban Coastal bottom....LOL

samerton

@ Nexis4Jersey - wow.. looks good!

StegSC

I always get preoccupied by other ideas whenever I work on a region, but I've finally decided to buckle down and build a single region for as long as I can, using no cheats whatsoever and no gameplay changing mods (besides NAM of course). Although I'll admit I needed to use a money cheat for the airport only, those are so expensive!!!

Here is Antioch

Clearly far from finished though
Find my old CJs at Simtropolis-Link To Profile at ST

Jayster

Very nice StegSC&apls

Keep up the great work!

Jayster

x-ten

louistsw

It shows that a "super region" ,Pearl River Delta, i made in today..
well, should i build it... ???

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

modedit: built it, built it, built it, but keep your pictures under 1024px ;)
A lazy fox (=^ω^=)

Canidae Inu Republic League
犬科大犬和民共和國聯盟

marsh

Wow..... 400 large city tiles.....  :o
I would say go for it if your actually up for the challange. A map like that you will probably never finish. Which in some ways, is good. The region I am currently working on is 16x14, and I don't think that I would even get done with that....

samerton

@ louistsw: WOW! That's big!  :o I'd say you build it... it would make an amazing MD!

x-ten

WOW!

It's even larger than 3RR, amazing job &apls &apls

TiFlo

Actually, when you think about it, 80km x 80km is about right for a real sized region that includes a central metropolis, several mid-sized satellite cities far enough from each other and from the main hub, real rural sprawls, as well as some wilderness areas. The only limits to it (apart from the time required to fully develop the region) would be the simulator not being able to deal with RL transportation networks, even with what the NAM does, and the huge memory required to process everything.

Shadow Assassin

You have got to release that map one day.  :o
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

FrankU

That brings me to the question:
I always thought that a large region does slow down gameplay, but is that really the case? Of course a large region does take a lot of HD-space, but that isn't a problem.
While playing the game you have your city, only one at a time, and you have the plugins, always the same for your region, and as far as I understand the game takes into account some facts from the neighbouring cities, which is max 8 of them. And that number can be reached for the central city in an 3x3 region already.
And yes, I know there are some facts from the whole region taken into account such as inhabitants etc.
So I can imagine that it doesn't matter if there are another 391 cities attached to the city I am playing in....

Who can elaborate on this?

It would be nice to build on such an enormous region without fear form crashing of extreme slowdown....

Rionescu

Quote from: FrankU on October 13, 2010, 02:24:02 AM
That brings me to the question:
I always thought that a large region does slow down gameplay, but is that really the case? Of course a large region does take a lot of HD-space, but that isn't a problem.
While playing the game you have your city, only one at a time, and you have the plugins, always the same for your region, and as far as I understand the game takes into account some facts from the neighbouring cities, which is max 8 of them. And that number can be reached for the central city in an 3x3 region already.
And yes, I know there are some facts from the whole region taken into account such as inhabitants etc.
So I can imagine that it doesn't matter if there are another 391 cities attached to the city I am playing in....

Who can elaborate on this?

It would be nice to build on such an enormous region without fear form crashing of extreme slowdown....

To be honest, I'd be curious to hear the answer too. I've heard this and accepted it for a while, but I can't imagine looking at a big region in region view would slow it down that much.

Anyway, Here's the region I'm working on right now. This region is actually 2 regions that I spent just about all day trying to put together. It was a lot of work but I'm happy with the result. In case it isn't blindingly obvious, the left half of the region was there originally, and today I added in the right side. The right side was originally a real world map, and for the most part the general layout is the same, I just made it a lot flatter to make it easier to build on and to match the left side. I seem to have screwed up the coastline on the left half, but I don't really care right now, it's good enough :P

Click it to see the big version (2 MB)

This region is built in a Synoecism style with the 6 towns all being established simultaneously and growing at a similar pace. I'll have to catch the new towns up since I want all of the towns to one day grow to the point where they form one huge city, although that could take a while. My population right now is about 195,000, but for absolutely no mid- or high-density, I think that's pretty good. There are a bunch more places I could establish towns, and I guess I should do that before these ones get too big.

Just for fun, bragging rights go to whoever can guess the two regions I spliced together!

Terring7

Welcome to Mars :)
It's still under development but i hope that you like it ()stsfd()

And a nice surprise ;D

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

FrankU

Nice mars!
Though I didn't know Mars had so much atmosphere that there are clouds?
And what is the squarish texture on the land? Are that the remains of the old Martian civilizations?

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: Rionescu on October 13, 2010, 05:52:56 PM
Just for fun, bragging rights go to whoever can guess the two regions I spliced together!
That's a lovely combination of Eaton and Hamilton you've got there, Rionescu! I look forward to seeing how you develop it.

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Bill_Chen

this is my old work:Bud of Floods_水沒之芽

My first MD here : The Urban construction diar

Terring7

Quote from: FrankU on October 14, 2010, 03:59:21 AMNice mars!

Quote from: FrankU on October 14, 2010, 03:59:21 AMThough I didn't know Mars had so much atmosphere that there are clouds?

Yes, Mars has clouds. It's true that the Martian atmosphere is about 100 times less dense that the Terran one, but still it's enough for clouds and nice sky colors.

Quote from: FrankU on October 14, 2010, 03:59:21 AMAnd what is the squarish texture on the land? Are that the remains of the old Martian civilizations?

It's the texture of SimMars.
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.