• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Show us your ... Region shots

Started by Giligone, January 25, 2007, 07:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sincitybaby

The city of New Concord just surpassed one million residents

And a transportation map:

cmdp123789

Quote from: art128 on December 09, 2013, 06:46:00 AM
Reminds me of EJC's recreations. Looking fantastic in region view, but when you zoom in you can see the infinite zigzags.  Still pretty nice.

Well, I do agree with you... but the FAR angles from NAM have limitations too, and sometimes, achieveng one special angle requires the zigzag. Take for example Manhattan financial district, or even so, take for example a "grid" area, which is Houston's downtown.. even if it is a grid that runs, the angle is way off of what NAM brings us.. and personally, I like using it.. Of course, it is not the best result, as I agreed with you.. but it creates a balance between region view and realism, at the expense of some little bumps...  :-\

figui

really old region, still in development. i abandoned it several times, yet returned again other several times. the advantage of a really BIG region is there's always some place to develop:

first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

Varnado

Quote from: figui on May 17, 2014, 07:44:39 AM
really old region, still in development. i abandoned it several times, yet returned again other several times. the advantage of a really BIG region is there's always some place to develop:
I really like the effect of the patchwork forests. Also, I concur that huge regions are awesome even though seeing all that empty space can make them seem like truly daunting tasks to take on.
Check out my YouTube channel for dozens of hours of high quality SimCity 4 content and new videos uploaded regularly.

figui

Quote from: Varnado on May 23, 2014, 11:38:50 AM
I really like the effect of the patchwork forests. Also, I concur that huge regions are awesome even though seeing all that empty space can make them seem like truly daunting tasks to take on.

i'm sorry but i can't understand this part  &mmm
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..

________

Varnado

Quote from: figui on May 26, 2014, 03:02:47 PM

I was referring to how the landscape is not covered by a uniform growth of forest. There are lots of irregularly shaped clear patches, like most real life forests that are close to populated areas.
Check out my YouTube channel for dozens of hours of high quality SimCity 4 content and new videos uploaded regularly.

Themistokles

I agree with varnado, the forest is looking really good. I, for my part, never have the patience to forest so many tiles, but the effect is truly stunning.
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

PlaneCrash12000

This is my latest city, Rockport.

Rockport is based off Halifax NS. A small port city surrounded by nothing but a large, dense forest and a few scattered towns and communities.

figui

Quote from: Varnado on May 26, 2014, 03:42:21 PM
Quote from: figui on May 26, 2014, 03:02:47 PM

I was referring to how the landscape is not covered by a uniform growth of forest. There are lots of irregularly shaped clear patches, like most real life forests that are close to populated areas.

Quote from: Themistokles on May 27, 2014, 03:37:26 AM
I agree with varnado, the forest is looking really good. I, for my part, never have the patience to forest so many tiles, but the effect is truly stunning.

oh, now i understand. i reached that result by using a "tree controller" (sorry, don't know who's one; think is one made for the italia terrain mod), so when planting trees in god mode, they are planted following the irregularities of the terrain.

thanks for your comments  :thumbsup:

________

compdude787

[pic]

I really like that region; in fact, I really like large regions! Can you tell me what region this is? I'm assuming it's based on a real-world location; if so, where?

Also like how well you did the trees.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

figui

Quote from: compdude787 on May 27, 2014, 07:30:06 PM
[pic]

I really like that region; in fact, I really like large regions! Can you tell me what region this is? I'm assuming it's based on a real-world location; if so, where?

thanks  :thumbsup:

the region is based on a map of the region of hobart, australia. i liked the variety the map provided and downloaded it (sorry, don't remember where). then i joined (on the SE portion) other map i had previously downloaded that showed the mouth of a big river and created one new, fictional map. i had to work a bit with the mapper and finally i rescaled it to fit in a 14 x 11 (approx.) large city tiles.  ()stsfd()

btw, here is the area that is more developed:

________

compdude787

Quote from: figui on May 28, 2014, 01:31:32 PM
Quote from: compdude787 on May 27, 2014, 07:30:06 PM
[pic]

thanks  :thumbsup:

the region is based on a map of the region of hobart, australia. i liked the variety the map provided and downloaded it (sorry, don't remember where). then i joined (on the SE portion) other map i had previously downloaded that showed the mouth of a big river and created one new, fictional map. i had to work a bit with the mapper and finally i rescaled it to fit in a 14 x 11 (approx.) large city tiles.  ()stsfd()

btw, here is the area that is more developed:
[pic]

That's cool how you combined two regions together. It makes your region more unique and lets you make a mark on a region someone else created.

My YouTube Channel

figui

^^ i used ms paint to join the grey-scale maps and some fine-tuning and then used the terraformer to make this joint more seamless. i even rotated one of the maps prior to join in ms paint.  :satisfied:

________

travismking

lets revive this cuz region shots are cool, i play with cam 2.0 rural so things are relatively low density and going for a sorta natural growth look in this region, obviously a work in progress and im pretty happy with the way its going so far :) the large towers one in each of the two largest cities are plopped to make things more interesting and to solve some demand issues i was having (playing on hard with cam 2.0 is hard :p) region just hit 420k pop

vortext

Nice region, I forgot the name but it's one of my favorites! For some time I actually contemplated starting over again with this one. That said, please render the rest of the tiles asap! I cannot understand how you folks can build on a half rendered region.   :P
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

travismking

I agree its definitely one of my favorite maps ive seen or played. The terrain is perfect, not too flat or too hilly, I also really like the way the coasts are. Makes it a lot more interesting to play :)

isii94

It looks really interesting what you are building on this map. I'm also playing this map currently and it has become one of my favourites.
MD coming soon...

vortext

Yeah, it really has a lot of attractive features. Because I couldn't quite recall my plans and got curious I went digging through old emails and uncovered this region shot, from about a year ago.

As you can see it was meant to be an extension to the existing region - so not quite starting over from nothing. The delta, circled in blue, is taken from yet another region, though I can't recall which one. The islands in orange was meant to be the location for The City (in capitals yes  :P). The mountain range in red would tie the two regions together. Needless to say I never got that far. In fact, this is just a composite image and the only remainder of these plans, unfortunately I might add. Seeing it again I'm quite tempted to make this reality. .  ::)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Mayor_Erinhold

Mirror Hollow. No road or building mods. I did use the RCI mod for flexibility and the money tree mod for a sandbox mode. And of course the Nam mod for traffic. But other than that It's plain old Sim City 4.

I try not to use road mods, or building mods.
I do use RCI mods and Traffic mods to keep the game flowing.
I'm new and hope to learn whilst here.

compdude787

Interesting region, and welcome to SC4 Devotion, Mayor_Erinhold!

Anyway, that Cardwell region that others have been discussing is pretty nice! I think you all just convinced me to download it and start playing on it. I'm thinking of doing a natural-growth type of approach to it since I think it'll be fun to do retrofitting in order to put in new infrastructure such as freeways, much like RL. It seems more fun than planning everything beforehand!

I don't think I'm going to abandon my current region, since I'm gonna need my RHW fix every now and then (and this new region won't have any freeways till a lot of development comes in), but I definitely can see myself having a lot of fun with this region.

My YouTube Channel