• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

[WIP] SCAG McDonnell Douglas MD-80 Project

Started by pilotdaryl, May 25, 2008, 12:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sim-al2

B777s only have 2 wing engines, so this is probaley a DC-10 or MD-11. I think it has winglets so it's likely a MD-10 or MD-11.
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

canuck3360

nope I talked with him bout this it's a 777 in a tri-4engine configuration so it's his imaginary idea

zero7

It's a 777 concept.  This text preceded the image in pilotdaryl's original post:

"and not to mention this trijet concept I've put together from the 777"

Call me Richard

nofunk

I hope this isn't a silly question, but has anyone figured out how to get multiple airplane designs into the game? My understanding is that, similar to other automata like cabs and trains, you can only have one design in the game at a time. Is that (still) true?

By the way, I love all of these designs you've been working on!

SimFox

Oh, silly me... reading by picture, instead of words...
Sorry...

canuck3360

hey nofunk well you can do it as a prop most of the stuff in the Aviation Group/or wahtever other airport geek squad they create the models as props and just like that it's eye candy but great looking eye candy at that hope that helps. so yeah it's still true Automata is still limited to one design I personally stoped using the Automata for Airports when I went to the custom ones.

Swesim

Quote from: nofunk on July 17, 2008, 09:26:54 AM
I hope this isn't a silly question, but has anyone figured out how to get multiple airplane designs into the game? My understanding is that, similar to other automata like cabs and trains, you can only have one design in the game at a time. Is that (still) true?
Unfortunately You can only use one design per automata, but in the case of Airports that means that You can at least in theory have at least four different designs at the same time replacing the Maxis Turboprop, ARJ, B707 and B767.
Personally I use Pilotdarryl´s retextured ARJ, Fukuda´s SAS MD90 (replacing the B707) and the Dutch Navy version of KLM´s B767 replacing the Maxis B767.
On top of that You can then add as many propversion aircraft as Your computer can handle... 
If You want some inspiration You are welcome to have a look at my thread on available aircraft for SC4. ;D

allan_kuan1992

"and not to mention this trijet concept I've put together from the 777"

hmm... the original plans for Boeing in the 1970s were that:

757 - replaces 727, single-aisle two-engined aircraft
767 - challenged A300, double-aisle two-engined aircraft
777 - concept plane, challenged DC-10 and L-1011TS, tri-engined aircraft

(from wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B777#Background)

so to see a tri-engined plane derived from the 777 is very... coincidental... =P

- Allan Kuan

pilotdaryl

Both the 777 and the MD-80 will be props and not automata; these props will contain custom LODs so they can be placed beside a jetway or on a taxiway or runway unlike ACE aircraft, while avoiding the plane-above-jetway bug.
nofunk: fukuda was working on a mod in '07 that would allow multiple automata aircraft, however, I haven't heard anything of it recently.  It might've been cancelled.
swesim: Will you include an 'upcoming aircraft' section (so as to have my 777 and MD-80 up on that list ;D)
allan_kuan: Well... I thought I had completely made it up, I never realized that there really was a 777 trijet concept!  Thanks for the info!

Yoman

Quote from: pilotdaryl on July 27, 2008, 01:09:25 PM
Both the 777 and the MD-80 will be props and not automata; these props will contain custom LODs so they can be placed beside a jetway or on a taxiway or runway unlike ACE aircraft, while avoiding the plane-above-jetway bug.

It is not a bug, planes are intentionally rendered with the jetways to provide maximum detail and perfection.

Voltaire

PD and owen - you're both right, bit of clarification needed...

PD's sentence parses somewhat awkward, the gist is that he wants to fit the aircraft LOD very close to its skin. So that (unlike ACAircraft jetliners to date) the airbridge could be separate (with its own close-fitted LOD). Then the two LODs would meet without render-precedence errors. It's a valid design, I actually used it on our initial 742 models. But ultimately I chose to render the aircraft & jetways together, because it produces visually superior nightlighting and natural shadows. Which are difficult or impossible to recreate in separately-rendered scenes.

______   F  L  Y    A  C    J  E  T  S   ______
The finest SimCity Aviation LOTs BATs and MODs

pilotdaryl

I'm sure nobody will have a problem if I take a different approach. :)  Although I must agree that rendering the aircraft with a jetway attached adds more precision and detail, it also provides some drawbacks, including lack of customization which many people are already complaining about.  I'm one that usually pays close attention to detail, however chose this approach to improve customizability.  Other aircraft producers like Kumba and tabinohito have released aircraft as unlotted props, and while my aircraft will be released like yours (attached to jetways) my method should allow for people to get creative in the LOT editor and allow them place the aircraft anywhere, anytime.  I'm sure you all understand.
--
Now I have to get realistic.  Fixing my computer is taking more time than I expected.  I wish I could minimize the delay but in this circumstance, you don't always get what you wish for.  I'd like to apologize for these big delays and ask all of you to be just a bit more patient.  Both projects will be back up and running soon! :)

Swesim

Sorry to hear about Your computer problems, I hope You get them sorted.

Your idea about an upcoming section in my aircraft list is not bad, but I find it somewhat useless as it seems difficult to set a prognosis for completion.
If there is one thing I´ve learned about airport related stuff it´s that it is complicated and not at all easy to predict.
I will of course add Your creations the moment I find them online though, rest assured of that!

As for Your ambitions to fill some of the gap in the shortrange market I wonder if those ambitions might include ARJs as well?

simsmart

Are you suuurrre that you won't need any modding help? ;D

pilotdaryl

Swesim: Sorted. ;D
Nope, I don't plan to BAT the ARJ, but I do plan to BAT the Embraer E-Jets sometime soon.
simsmart: Maybe I do need some... ;)

I come with only good news for you all!
My computer is fixed!
All SimCity 4 files are now back on my working computer and BATwork has continued.  The schedule has been modified to counteract this event, and I now have a planned release date sometime during the winter/new year season.

pilotdaryl

UPDATE!
Yes people.  For the first time in almost two months, an update...
In the SimCity Aviation Group, we strive for the greatest detail and accuracy.  Recently I've been able to finish most of these details on the fuselage and engines.  Some pictures, please:

Forward fuselage details

Rear fuselage/engine details

Close-up on those engine details

West render/side view

South render/front view

Like it? ;)

canuck3360

&apls

looking good and glad to see the thrust reversers on the Engines now!

pilotdaryl

Cross-posted from ST:
I've been back on track for only 5 days, and I have to go into hiatus, yet again...
This one will be much shorter, though.
This is NOT another computer virus.  It's my computer itself.
I recently noticed my computer was slowing down on me.  Then I began getting notices about 'checking my hard drive.'  Just a few minutes ago, while I was minding my own business, my screen turned black and I noticed my computer was restarting.  After the restart, my computer loaded a temporary profile and warned me that my hard drive could be failing.  This may mean getting a new computer or a hard drive.  All files have been backed up, including recent MD-80 progress as shown on SC4D (as shown above).  I have yet to decide what to do and when... hopefully soon.

tabi

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog