• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Is it possible to un-pack files?

Started by 0rion79, August 25, 2009, 10:06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0rion79

Hello, due to a tragic mistake I've selected "delete" instead than "burn" when I was next to make the backup of my SC4 files. Quikcly I've interrupted the process, but some files went lost anyway: by luck, they where only the backup of uncompressed files for hypotetical further changes, but I would still like to know if it is possible to revert the action used by datpacker and unpack files. Also, I would like to know where is the dowload link for the latest functioning datpacker version because on the Stex I can still find only the very last version, that has been locked down.
Thanks a lot!!

Andreas

In theory, yes, but it's very, very tedious. You'll have to open the DAT that was created by DATPacker with the Reader and manually find the subfiles that belong to the lot(s) you are looking for. This means you should be familiar with the internal structure of those files, so you are able to detect which files belong to a BAT model, the lot, or other files, such as texture packs or UI files.
Andreas

BarbyW

This is the latest version of SC4DatPacker.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

0rion79

Quote from: Andreas on August 25, 2009, 10:54:51 AM
In theory, yes, but it's very, very tedious. You'll have to open the DAT that was created by DATPacker with the Reader and manually find the subfiles that belong to the lot(s) you are looking for. This means you should be familiar with the internal structure of those files, so you are able to detect which files belong to a BAT model, the lot, or other files, such as texture packs or UI files.

Never mind: with more than 2. gigaBts of data, only Data from Star Trek next generation could be able to rever the whole folder! hahah! XD
Anyway, thank you.
PS: may I use the reader to edit dat-packed files?

jplumbley

Essentially, all the files you download are "DAT Packed".  They are containers which hold numerous files for the game to use when loading a BAT or Lot, etc.  When you use the "DAT Packer" all it does is take all the files within all of your "container" files into one big "container" file.  So, instead of having 1 file for each BAT you have 1 file for all your BATs.  And well, it is not really recommended to edit anything in a DAT packed file because it could take a long time to find what you are looking for.  It is better to edit those things before it gets packed.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

0rion79

When I tried to modify some details as the number related to icon order with SC4Tools, I have never been able to save the files: SC4Tools didn't crash and didn't give any warning message but the changes have never take any effect. Tat's why I ask!

Andreas

Basically, all modding tools are intended to work with relatively small files (maybe 10 or 20 MB at most) - if you try to edit an even larger one, saving might work, but it's not guaranteed, since this was never tested, and the tools were not programmed for this.
Andreas