• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

I doubt the RHW team will need testers, no announcement has been made yet.  But, if you DO need volunteers, count me in as well.

sithlrd98

Hey "transportation implementing gods" :)
I have had the NAM\RHW since release and after not being happy with the maxis highways, I finally decided to use the RHW. My question is on the current release ( not the one you are working on ) the texture isn't the same.

Is this normal , or is this something I'm doing wrong? I apologize in advance if this has been covered , and am not complaining at all , just curious . Thank you for the hard work and look forward to the next incarnation! &apls

Haljackey

Easy:  no 90 degree piece has been made yet (and I don't think will ever be).  Just curve your RHW at a 45 degree angle (like the in-game highway and rails) and the textures should match up.

Oh, and there are not any RHW intersections made yet other than the street intersection, so if you converted your RHW to one-way roads or avenues then you can make intersections.

If you are trying to put to RHW networks side-by side, they will turn into 2 separate networks.  There is a special way to set this up though, follow the Multi-RHW guide in my signature for more information.

I hope this helps!
-Haljackey

Tarkus

Hal, it's funny you bring up Frankie's barriers . . . this post back on Page 32 of this thread [link] may be of interest to you. ;)

sithlrd98, as Haljackey alluded to, the RHW is reverting to the base ANT network, as there aren't textures or RULs in place.  I can confirm that there are no plans to implement the 90-degree corner, and likely, it will be eliminated from the next version of the mod.  The Road-RHW at-grade is planned for the next release, though.

I am planning on using RUL Overrides to block certain problematic situations from being possible in the next version.  Here's the list of some of the things that won't be possible in the next and future versions, and why I'm planning on blocking them.  Note this list isn't by any means complete, but it should give you a good idea of the situation:

RHW-4 90-degree Bend
Asymmetrical Curves

Reason: Realism factor.

RHW-4/RHW-4 At-Grade Intersections
RHW-4/RHW-2 At-Grade Intersections
Reason: There is a function in Path files known as a StopPath.  StopPaths basically instruct automata to stop when there is the risk of a collision.  They are also tied into traffic signals/stop signs on some level.  However, there are some networks on which StopPaths cannot function due to the hardcoded functionality of the network.  Among these are the highway-class networks, which include not only the Maxis Highways, but the ANT network on which the RHW is based.  So, in essence, these intersections are completely uncontrolled and basically do not function properly, causing a multitude of issues (including a lot of wrecked automata).  The only way to fix this problem would involve editing the .exe file.  There are workarounds, which involve converting the RHW to a different network (Avenue, OWR), and these workarounds will be the only ways to produce these intersections in the future.  Eventually, it will be possible to override the workarounds so that they maintain the appearance of the RHW.

All Wider RHW At-Grade Intersections (except emergency lane)
Reason: Realism, StopPath issues

As far as testers go, no comment yet. :D  I can tell you, however, that the MIS is getting quite close.  The pics should be fairly evident, and I can guarantee this will see the light of day in the very near future.  RL the past couple days has been a bit of a setback, and will probably be plaguing me a bit for at least a couple more days.  I have a take-home midterm for the Medieval Music History class I'm taking, due on Monday.

Hope this update here answered some questions, and I'll be back with some further development pics at some point very soon.

-Alex (Tarkus)

MOD EDIT: Added a link to the post I assumed you were talking about. It confused me that the link didn't work - :) Fred

Shadow Assassin

It definitely does. :P

In any case, I might experiment with T21s and create median barriers for the RHW.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

sithlrd98

Tarkus , thank you for replying so fast! I'm not 100% sure what you said , but it defiantly was a very thorough answer!  :thumbsup:

rickmastfan67

Well, I have made a 90-degree turn for the RHW-2 only.  So, making a 90-degree turn with the basic RHW-2 should be possible, but nothing anything higher. ;)
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Filasimo

thank you for pointing hal to the right page Alex, so yes guys sit back and relax and let our thinking minds go to work. were normally 5 steps ahead of you  ;)
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

cammo2003

Medieval Music History? Yikes, it'll take you a while...  :P

As for no 90 degree turns... Well, yeah, I think that goes without saying, it'd be kinda dangerous anyway.  :P

A *longer* 90 degree turn puzzle piece would be nice in the future, but it can definitely wait. Better to get the core stuff (such as the MIS) working first.

allan_kuan1992

More textures... including one that was requested recently... the road-RHWMIS intersection... although the texture was intended to be for RHW2-RHWMIS intersection.

- Allan Kuan

Haljackey

Excellent textures allan_kuan1992!  They are coming along nicley  :satisfied:

And RHW Team, if your already 5 steps ahead of me, then I guess next time I gotta be 6!

sc4luv2

Quote from: Haljackey on October 25, 2007, 12:42:14 PM
Excellent textures allan_kuan1992!  They are coming along nicley  :satisfied:

second that!
[

XL2007

Quote from: Haljackey on October 24, 2007, 05:31:00 PM
I doubt the RHW team will need testers, no announcement has been made yet.  But, if you DO need volunteers, count me in as well.

Same here.  I've been following the RHW development for a while, and in turn, creating a region that'll be based on the RHW.  If there's any need for beta testers, you'll have one ready and willing soul available.

Crissa

riponite

Hi Alex,

Medieval Music History?  Good topic.  Melismatic Organum was an interesting development, but I much prefer Renaissance English Choral Music.  It almost sounded "20th Century".  Dufey & DesPrez -- master composers.  In any case, good luck on the test.   :)  I was a music major as an undergrad, and am currently working on a master of church music.  [Sigh]

Back to topic.  Keep up the great work on the RHW.  This is going to be so great when it is done.  [Repeat to self:  I will be patient.  I will be patient.]  As an aside, it would be interesting to have an elevated Super 2 option (for overpasses in particular).  However, that's one of those "back burner" type projects.

Again, I hope your test goes well, and thanks for all of your work on this.  I look forward to using it someday.  I have plans.   ;)

Riponite

P.S.  Thanks to the rest of the RHW team too.  You are all doing such a great job.  :thumbsup:

Shadow Assassin

QuoteAs an aside, it would be interesting to have an elevated Super 2 option (for overpasses in particular).  However, that's one of those "back burner" type projects.

You'd be surprised at how close it is actually to being done (since the El-RHW4's been done a while ago), which means it'd be quite easy to see a Super-2 option.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Ryan B.

Here's my second revision of the MIS ramp / road intersection piece.  I tried to clean it up a little bit.

dragonshardz

might want to blur the edges of the grey and black a little bit so it doesn't look so defined

Palpatine001

Hmmm interesting working coming along here indeed

I have stopped playing around with it and RHW Additons as I prepare to sit an exam from univeristy on a Saturday Afternoon  :angrymore:

Anycase keep up the good work here  :thumbsup:
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

BigSlark

Well, lets assume for a minute that the RHW (or Interstate) and road (a state highway or city street, more than likely) are maintained by different Department of Transportations. There will be a definite difference in pavement when jurisdictions change. However, in almost all U.S. states interchanges are also maintained by State DOT's, with county or city maintenance reverting at the end of the freeway's right of way.

So, depending on what burgsabre87 was trying to replicate, he's either spot on or needs to do some blending. And since he's the one putting the time into making the textures, lets all smile and be glad this is coming our way in the near future. Its easy to retexture compared with getting the whole mod ready to release in the first place.

Cheers,
Kevin