• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pilotdaryl

Quote from: burgsabre87 on December 16, 2007, 02:11:09 PM
I think I know what you're getting at, simzebu - something like this:

The highlighted part is - if I'm right - the thing you're suggesting.
Yeah, what I'm thinking is maybe you add a similar puzzle piece where the 3rd lane ends and merges to create a normal RHW-4.

JGCarter

Aaaahhh!!!! I cant wait! Wow, you guys are awesome, Tarkus and Blahdy! Keep up the good work and take your time...I can wait (I hope  :'( )

blahdy

Base .s3d model for 2-lane elevated highway is completed.  Pretty basic, without any fancy stuff on it (all the add-on's are to be T21'd).  Total poly count is 498 per tile.

How it *should* look like with all the T-21 exemplars applied in-game:

Real-world application: Click here
The RL version has steel fence on side by side;  the fence will be included in RHWMIS as well, but not on the base elevated highway model.  It will be included on interchange elements.  (The RL picture URL above is actually an interchange ramp)

rickmastfan67

-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

DFire870

Ooh, great work blahdy! Those look great, and they remind me of the elevated stretches of I-35 and US 183 here in Austin. I can't wait to see what these will look like in-game.

-- John
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

Shadow Assassin

Looks great, but be warned, if the LODs are built like that, you're gonna have problems on slopes. Maybe you can talk to buddybud about how to deal with this problem?

Basically, you're going to have to split up the model: the pillar, the barriers (set to conform to slope), and the sign (that includes the concrete support piece, too), and all three will need to be added as T21s, which is what you're going to do anyway. :P

Hehe, maybe you should talk to rickmastfan about those cool-looking concrete textures, too :P Maybe the el-RHW could use something like that.

EDIT: Tarkus, saw the 6-C. Are there going to be puzzle pieces for the MIS ramp (which can actually be recycled for the 8-C, too, using the same puzzle piece as the 6-C) and merges from 4 to 6)?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

blahdy

shadow_assassin:  thanks;  The models when completed will be delivered as source Max 7 files to Tarkus along with all textures (these models are specifically licensed for NAM use).  So you guys can deal with LOD or however you want to import them into the game as you see fit :)  I did however model accordingly to recommended specs though to make it easier for you folks.  All T21's are grouped separately away from the base model itself, so they can be easily exported independently as props without having to manually select them or edit the model when you dont have to.

Regarding the concrete textures, I'll ask rickmastfan to see what he has.  But it's unlikely that concrete texture will change anytime soon, as the current ones used by big dig offer the most realism/mentalray-photometric-like behavior than plain greyness.

rickmastfan67

Well James, I think I might have found a problem with those pieces.  The Highway paint for the dashed line is on the wrong side of the piece.  If hooked up with a normal RHW-4 piece where the white line starts on yours, it would create a jumbo sized white line.  Just thought I would point that out to you.
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

Crissa

Those stretches in Austin scare me; they don't have big enough pillars.

...But then again, I'm from California, everything has to be earthquake safe so the columns are oval and placed so at the ends of the segments instead of the middle.

I like your model, it's a nice compromise.  Too modern looking for my cities, though.  A friend of mine has been sending pictures and letters from Prague... They have some awesome roads there.

-Crissa

thundercrack83

I'm speechless...and, like everyone I'm sure, I can't wait!

Keep up the great work here, guys! I don't have to tell you what a fantastic job you're doing!

cammo2003

Looking great blahdy. The concrete texture looks a lot lighter on the elevated section, but I think you can definitely get away with that - It's not at all uncommon for elevated sections to be paved differently.

One other question -- have any bridges been done or are any going to make it into the release? It's not such a big deal given the possibility to transfer into a FHW (which widens the options anyway) but it'd be nice to have a bridge -- even a basic one would be a start.

I get the feeling I've asked this before and it's already been answered, but no harm in asking again. My memory's a little poor at times...  :D

Palpatine001

[Is Speechless]

Going to make re doing the 400km of highways in Solaria an interesting challenge to say the least

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: As always
Now Idle
Please leave a message after the beep and I'll get to you as soon as I can bother

dragonshardz

shouldn't the camera be acing oncoming traffic?

yes, i know, being nitpicky  ;D

Still, cameras and lane markings notwithstanding, it's great!

JGCarter

Yeah, I better make room in my city's budget to reconstruct the highways!!!

CasperVg

Looks great, one question: what is a 'hazmat'?  :thumbsup:
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

thundercrack83

HAZMAT = HAZardous MATerials.

On the sign, NO HAZMATS means that vehicles containing hazardous materials are not allowed into the tunnel.

Hope this answers your question, my friend!

blahdy

Quote from: dragonshardz on December 16, 2007, 09:03:12 PM
shouldn't the camera be acing oncoming traffic?

yes, i know, being nitpicky  ;D

Still, cameras and lane markings notwithstanding, it's great!

The camera is mounted on a QuickSet QPT-20 360-degrees rotation platform (~$6000 installation including camera per pole).  There's no set rule in camera installations regarding where they are actually pointing to, because operator can simply rotate the camera 360 degrees by click of a mouse button from the operations center.

Yea, the lane markings will be corrected... i made a mistake with UV mappings that screwed up the lane order.

BigSlark

Amazing work, blahdy.

I'm really, really excited about the RHW for the millionth time. Keep up the great work NAM team!  :thumbsup: &apls

Cheers,
Kevin

Tonksie

Quote from: blahdy on December 16, 2007, 05:20:49 PM
Base .s3d model for 2-lane elevated highway is completed.  Pretty basic, without any fancy stuff on it (all the add-on's are to be T21'd).  Total poly count is 498 per tile.

How it *should* look like with all the T-21 exemplars applied in-game:

Real-world application: Click here
The RL version has steel fence on side by side;  the fence will be included in RHWMIS as well, but not on the base elevated highway model.  It will be included on interchange elements.  (The RL picture URL above is actually an interchange ramp)

Inspired by your work im considering doing something similar. I have already modelled one side for the strait piece as you have. But got a little distracted and animated a whole strait...

And yes im aware of the cars going in reverse lol.