• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

Over here on the opposite coast, in Virginia, they're still building new roads with center turn lanes, and I, having driven on my fair share, must say that I find nothing dangerous about them. Besides, you don't have to use it in your cities if you find it too dangerous for your sims. :P

And since this thread has been dug up anyway, any more progress, Alex? ;)
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

BigSlark

It seems the Mississippi Department of Transportation has missed that memo, vinlabsc3k. They're still building TLA-3 and 5's like mad around here, with no end in sight.

And I have to agree with DTP, I've never felt that they are dangerous roads at speeds under 55 mph (80 kph).

Cheers,
Kevin

vinlabsc3k

I know: "if u don't like it, don't use it" :P,
but to give the project an international style and to save time and energy for all the developers %%Order?/.
However keep up the good work!! :thumbsup:
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Tarkus

Quote from: vinlabsc3k on January 30, 2009, 05:11:11 PM
but to give the project an international style

Well, TLAs, while they are rare outside the US and Canada, do exist, from what I've seen.  While the non-North American userbase is fairly large, the US one is as well--I'd estimate about 50/50.  Plus, they also allow for crossover traffic, allowing your sim-motorists to access zones on the other side of the road, even when the other side is on another tile.

And they haven't stopped building them here in Oregon, either.  There's been plenty of new ones springing up all over here.  I've never seen any accidents on any, and there's actually been a number of projects to replace MAVEs with TLAs here--the MAVEs are actually more dangerous, imo, particularly when you have people making left turns off them.

As far as new development news goes, there has indeed been some more work done.  Like the RHW thread, though, I'm planning to seriously curtail teasing. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

Patricius Maximus

Ah, progress. I hope it is progressing... nicely.

kings_niners

a wise decision on your part alex, it was getting kinda crazy towards the end of the version 3 release, good job :)

vinlabsc3k

Well, I say that only for (positive) critic ;) and I love a so entusiastic player as u &bis&.
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Kitsune

Quote from: Tarkus on January 30, 2009, 05:21:08 PM
Well, TLAs, while they are rare outside the US and Canada, do exist, from what I've seen.  While the non-North American userbase is fairly large, the US one is as well--I'd estimate about 50/50.  Plus, they also allow for crossover traffic, allowing your sim-motorists to access zones on the other side of the road, even when the other side is on another tile.

And they haven't stopped building them here in Oregon, either.  There's been plenty of new ones springing up all over here.  I've never seen any accidents on any, and there's actually been a number of projects to replace MAVEs with TLAs here--the MAVEs are actually more dangerous, imo, particularly when you have people making left turns off them.

As far as new development news goes, there has indeed been some more work done.  Like the RHW thread, though, I'm planning to seriously curtail teasing. ;)

-Alex (Tarkus)

I've seen accidents, the problem in my hometown is that people also use them as merge lanes, which is what ussually leads to the head on or swide swipes. Very lucky up there no one has ever been killed.
~ NAM Team Member

bakerton

I know here in Southeastern Wisconsin (Kenosha), we have a state highway going north to south (Highway 31 or Green Bay Road) that uses left turn lanes for most of it's route even though there is no road to turn onto. Speeds range from 35 MPH to 55 MPH with 2 to 3 lanes in easch direction with heave traffic at times as it connects Kenosha with Racine and Illinois. Alex, If you can, take a look on Google Earth and go around to different towns and cities to see what they have and and check out what I am saying (search for Kenosha, Wisconsin then find Highway 31) Miklwaukee also has them left turn lanes to nowhere too. Cops (the police) love the LTLNs. Waqiting quietly for anything. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

j-dub

My state has plenty of turn lanes into no where as well. Sometimes traffic lights are at those intersections. I recorded a truck not realizing he had no where to go after making a turn at a turn lane to nothing.

Real SC4 long unfinished road experience
http://www.youtube.com/v/PSU72lz9ZP0

metarvo

I see MAVE's and TLA-x's quite commonly in my area, but they mainly appear in urban areas, and they don't go into nowhere.  Those that do appear in rural areas where I'm from are present near small clusters of commerce.  I definitely think they should be included in the NWM, by the way.  When it comes to transit, I always say, "The more, the better," whether there's teasing or not.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

LE0

Theres a TLA-4 near where I live.
And MAVES are EVERYWHERE ;D

Also, can there be eyecandy NWM networks where there are eyecandy parking at the sides, like a MAVE-4 with parking lanes at each side. For added realism.
Leoland coming Spring 2009

j-dub

Some one could T-21 cars in the parkways, but I wouldn't want that in suburban or unzoned areas. It would have to be above medium wealth for me.

LE0

Like an option, but a mod where you could still have normal MAVE, and another network that would be a MAVE-4 but the extra on the sides would be zoned parking lanes, and in rural areas it would be shoulders.
Leoland coming Spring 2009

j-dub

That sounds good, but personally I think a lot of other networks, the ones existing should be allowed that too. This shoulder thing could just be done by a T-21 prop, but that will have to be done somewhere else at another time because as ideas still are being born in the NWM, function always comes first before cosmetics.

And then maybe, just maybe, the future of diagonal networks can be taken care of.

Dexist

hey is there already an release date of this??

and i have some questions?

is this mod useable with nam and rhw and other mods/plugins?

(Ps i am new too these plugins for sc4. sooooo)

io_bg

Quote from: Dexist on February 04, 2009, 01:55:30 AM
hey is there already an release date of this??
and i have some questions?
is this mod useable with nam and rhw and other mods/plugins?
(Ps i am new too these plugins for sc4. sooooo)
Read the first post of the page, in it there is also a FAQ.
QuoteThere is no release date or timeline for the NWM project.  It will be released when it is done.
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

j-dub

No Dex. This goes for any noob. If you all looked at the top of the thread, you will clearly see NO release date yet. The reason? The past year, all energy was on the RHW project and only one person has the knowledge, talent, and time to do this, Tarkus. Now since RHW 3.0 has been taken care of, it will be the NWM's turn for new development. Compatibility? The NWM would be an additional NAM component, and could not work without the NAM. Right now there is a compatibility issue with this and FLUPs where FLUPs won't work with this at the same time do to the latest controller build. No, there probably won't be a connection to this with FLUPs. It will be a very long time for everything to be interfaced with everything, because just like RHW 3.0, this has so many new networks being added to it as well, and is road based, with the exception of the OWR (which still is roadway) and other people will be making other networks. I did experiment, and find some T-RAM pieces to override and work with this mod. Thats besides the point, the NWM is not even finished. Why would you want something left undone? A good reason to wonder where the NWM is, is because the T-RAM NAM addition did introduce NWM like features. After being introduced to a 4 lane type of road with sidewalks from the T-RAM, there is a new NMAVE (narrow median less avenue) concept, single tile road based.

Kitsune

Will there be a Canadian Version of the TLA released whenever it is released? (In Canada the dashes are on the outside)
~ NAM Team Member

Haljackey

Quote from: Kitsune on February 04, 2009, 03:51:07 PM
Will there be a Canadian Version of the TLA released whenever it is released? (In Canada the dashes are on the outside)

I'd assume it would have to be made separately, just like SA made the Euro RHW mod.  I'd like to see this too, but it isn't too bad seeing it on the inside.

Best,
-Haljackey