• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarkus

Hi everyone-

Welcome back to the NWM development thread!  We're still not quite to the point of the long-awaited initial release of this project, but after a year of development behind closed doors, we are finally ready to show you some of our work-in-progress.  The initial "sticky post" in the thread now contains an FAQ and some other useful information regarding the project, that you may find interesting.

You may also note the use of the pronoun "we".  I'm part of that "we", as is my good friend and colleague from Down Under, Dave (superhands).  Dave was an instrumental part of the RAM Team's development of Single-Track Rail, and he came on board the NWM project early in 2009.  He's been an absolutely invaluable part of this project, producing a majority of the textures and putting together some of the puzzle pieces, while I've mostly been wrangling the RUL 0x10000002 end.  It's been a true team effort. :thumbsup:

I also need to thank jplumbley, z, Ryan B., smoncrie and memo for their help over the past 3 years.

And without further ado, a few pics of what we've been up to since early 2009 . . .

Enjoy!

-Alex

RickD

OMG! I can't stop staring at the pictures. This will be so great.

One question: Will there be transition pieces (e.g. maxis avenue to mave-4)?
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

MandelSoft

Certainly. These transistion pieces are as far as I know quite finished.

Making puzzle pieces isn't the hardest part. The hardest part of the whole NWM mod is actually the texture override code and making textures.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

j-dub

RickD, when I got to take a look, there were transition pieces including Ave to Mave-4, and Mave-4 to TLA. The NWM is getting further and further in terms of feature and function, but it still is under construction.

mightygoose

fantastic work my friend, it has been a long time coming.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

ecoba

Oh my gosh! This is absolutely wonderful, some great development pics you've posted Alex. But, what ever happened to Daniel's textures in the making, because, of course Euro textures will be needed.

Ethan

mrbisonm

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

superhands

Alex I think your being modest as your contribution has been the foundations of bricks and mortar whilst mine is just render :P

needless to say below are the Road-to-Ave-2 and Mave-6 to Ave-4 Type A Transitions...

-Dave

Haljackey

May as well post this video containing NWM components too now that this thread has new life:

http://www.youtube.com/v/Fr9AKY5Rs1E&=22&ap=%2526fmt%3D22

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fr9AKY5Rs1E

Awesome pics guys!  The NWM has come a long way from its toddler years that's for sure!

metarvo

It's good to see that the NWM is alive, Alex!  &apls  Now I can start planning for NWM networks to be included in my cities, and maybe I can set up construction zones like in RL.  The OWR-1 looks like it would be good for narrow, one-way alleys, and it might even do as a synthetic OWS (One-Way Street).
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

DCMetro2834

Awesome video Haljackey! Yet another gigantic project that looks to good to be true!  :P I can't wait for it to come out, superb work!  :)

canyonjumper

Excellent work, guys! Really loving that road-avenue transition at 2:03, Haljackey.
Dave, those are great textures you're using!
Alex, my eyes still have not recovered from seeing this thread back in action! And I'm still staring at that last pic ;D

Your friend, Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

ShultzCity

Awesome work guys!! Loving it :)

Haljackey, may I ask where you got both the bridges in the video?
I'd love it if you could check out my photography! Click on of the links below:
http://www.jacobshultz.com.au
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jshultzphotography/

Battlecat

Glad to see something new for this project, the results are simply stunning already!  Great work!

Jack_wilds

Hey guys, Jack wilds here...

will wonders never cease as I've given up on of this project ever coming into being...  &apls :thumbsup:  much less be remotely lining cities networks...  :'(  BUT now there is reason for hope and rejoicing  :sunny: as I may yet get to play with this mod in my sim-cities  &bis&  

()what()  is this 'mod' a tru 'mod'...is this part of the NAM and/or RHW... will it be a part or a stand alone 'mod' ... will there be possibilities for third parties to add the street-scaping such as lights, traffic signals, transport stops etc...  also could the single be made into say a one way alley... can textures be modified... %confuso

Anticipating its release in the near future (relatively speaking)... thanks all of you not stopping the project and making something of it... keep up the good work -its well worth it   :thumbsup:   :)

Jack   :satisfied:

Toichus Maximus

looking great! can't wait for the release. Do you guys know if it will be with the upcoming nam or a future one?

itsacoaster

Hmm, no three tile networks?  That's too bad, I was looking forward to some wider avenues.  Shame it didn't work quite right for you guys this time around.  (For the delay, I think you guys owe us an 8-lane avenue!) Only kidding, you guys do great work and I understand how long this can take.  Oh well, back to waiting and lurking.

Tarkus

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!  'Tis good to be back.

To answer a few recent questions:

Quote from: Jack_wilds on March 09, 2010, 03:12:53 PM
is this 'mod' a tru 'mod'...is this part of the NAM and/or RHW... will it be a part or a stand alone 'mod' ...

The NWM is planned to be released in much the same fashion as projects like the RHW, SAM, etc. have been--fully integrated with the NAM, but downloaded separately. 

Quote from: Jack_wilds on March 09, 2010, 03:12:53 PM
will there be possibilities for third parties to add the street-scaping such as lights, traffic signals, transport stops etc... also could the single be made into say a one way alley... can textures be modified...

Third-party "streetscaping" is certainly possible, much as it has been with the RHW and SAM.  The same goes for texture mods as well.

Quote from: Toichus Maximus on March 09, 2010, 03:14:24 PM
looking great! can't wait for the release. Do you guys know if it will be with the upcoming nam or a future one?

That really will depend on NAM Core development and how it progresses in relationship to NWM development.  It's hard to say.  We actually don't necessarily need to synchronize it with a Core release, either, as we have the option of delivering the necessary RUL updates with the Essentials package.

-Alex

Haljackey

Quote from: ShultzCity on March 09, 2010, 01:46:51 PM
Haljackey, may I ask where you got both the bridges in the video?

Actually, I didn't get them anywhere!  They are both standard bridges included in the game.  The first bridge is the Brooklyn Bridge for road and the other is the default RHW-2 bridge.

danielra96

great work! &apls
it's nice to see that this project is back online