• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starmanw402007

Thanks for your response Ryan. I'll be looking for those when they are ready of course. Keep up the great work with these modds!!
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

Tarkus

I still haven't found the root cause for the NWM Wide-Radius Curve issue jdenm8 reported--it seems to escape all logical explanation.  However, I did figure out how to fix it.  More on the front later . . .

-Alex

HunEthnic

i was wondering if they can use T or cross intersection by using 6-lane medianless road?

metarvo

The MAVE-6 intersects the default Maxis networks (except for highways) and the other NWM networks in both T- and +-intersections, if that's what you mean.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

zenith1107

How do you get rid of the arrows on the 3, 4 and 5-lane one-way roads? The NAM arrow reduction mod doesn't seem to work...

Thanks!

Rady

Sorry for a really tupid question, but: where does the readme go after one executed the exe??? I can't find it on my PC? Problem is, I was looking for possible problems with the NWM since part of the most common crossings between NVM-network and standard networks are not working proper, like shown here:

and here: connecting the road to that avenue/MAVE-4 junction will turn the road into half an MAVE-4

Also, you cannot build a T-intersection between a MAVE-4 and a road wwhere the road intersects all 4 lanes of the MAVE-4. Have a look:

This is possible:

This is possible, too:

This is not possible:

So, basically I was looking for an overview of the current functionality - which network can be combined with which one and how. Some more impossibilities that I discovered:

• you won't be able to have diagonal intersections with the NWM ASR3 - it will turn back into a nromal road on that tile
  • repeatedly intersecting a e.g. MAVE-4 within a few tiles will turn the MAVE back into a road - I guess that's the same problem that we encounter with the SAM roads

If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

Andreas

The readme is either installed into "My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins\Network Addon Mod\Documentation" or the subfolders of the individual NAM addons, such as "\Network Addon Mod\Real Highway Mod" etc.
Andreas

j-dub

Yes Rady, its only the first released NWM, and there will be some limitations. I thought as in the case of the Road to MAVE had the texture for the other side of the T, maybe not, but it was very tricky where starter pieces were placed to get that Road T to connect right, and involved multiple clicking until the right opposing texture aligned.

The first picture, unless I can demonstrate a video work around otherwise, for now, you have to put a Mave to Avenue conversion piece before the end of that T and turn the end of that street into a road before connecting to the intersection. SC4 is not crazy about allowing 3 networks to intersect. Also, that TE bus stop is kind of cutting it close there.

As for connecting a road to AVE/Mave-4 junction, its not like Maxis allowed you to connect a road to an avenue T in the beginning. Despite the Mave being based on the road network, if you think about it, what you were trying to do is almost like attempting to connect 3 networks together: a road, an avenue and a Mave; and SC4 was not set up to allow that. However, there is a way to work around connecting a road to a regular avenue T but it requires a lot of puzzle piece after FX manipulation. Please see videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emiZhdZLwPg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFYJSKINhP0

Korot

While I realise that this is the first release of the NWM, and I'm very glad I finally can play with it, I did ran into some things I'd love to see in the next version:
  • El-Heavy rail over NWM network pieces. Now I either have to make a tunnel (OWR-4's), or change network(MAVE-4).
  • EL-Road over NWM pieces. Reason: See above.
  • Parallel OWR-3 to MAVE-6. Now I have to reduce the amount of lanes first, to change into two OWR-2's, to change those into one AVE-4, which I then can convert to a MAVE-6. It's no problem capacity wise, but does look unrealistic.
  • As earlier suggested: OWR-4 to two OWR-2's, both parallel and with one branching off.
  • Two tiled networks can go 'round corners: Would help a lot. Current solution is to make it into a four-way intersection with two stubs, which just looks weird and takes up valuable space.
  • OWR-6. Though I don't really need it, if you can cram 3 lanes into one tile, then cramming 6 lanes into two tiles shouldn't be much of a problem. I however completely understand it if this one will have to wait quite some time.
  • Bridges for two tile networks. I don't know if they already exist for one tile ones, 'cause I haven't tried, but I'm pretty sure that they aren't present yet for the two tile networks. They'd obviously have to be avenue based, but since the wider RHW bridges will be MHW based, this should also be possible, right?

Can't think of anything else right now, though I do have some suggestions for the RTMT-team, which I'll address in their sub-forum.

Regards,
    Korot

yddot

Has anyone yet figured out a way to avoid this problem with transition pieces?  It happens to me 100% of the time and I'm curious if maybe it's just my computer... (I don't have another Windows machine to test on)

Tarkus

The downloads on the LEX for the NWM have now been updated to Version 1.02, incorporating the previous patch for non-RHW users and also fixing the LHD Wide-Radius Curve issues.  Additionally, the patch that is attached to the first post of the thread has been updated to Version 1.02, for existing users.  Please note that if you downloaded the NWM after May 16, 2010, you do not need to download the patch.  

Quote from: Rady on May 16, 2010, 10:25:03 AM
and here: connecting the road to that avenue/MAVE-4 junction will turn the road into half an MAVE-4

That particular intersection won't ever be possible through draggable means due to coding limitations.  

And Korot, that's a good list there--virtually all of those are planned for some future release, either this next one or the one after, more than likely.  

yddot, I've not been able to replicate that here on my end yet--it's possible it may indeed be some sort of graphic setting issue.

-Alex

yddot

Alex,

I just had the opportunity to try to replicate the problem on a friend's computer and was unable to do so. 

On my computer, I've tried different versions of drivers, changing driver settings, disabling Win7 Aero, everything.  I'm considering just buying a new computer for SC4 use.  This is a Dell Latitude E6400...brand new, fully loaded with the good nVidia card.  Apparently it's just not going to work on this machine.  Oh well. 

Matt

jdenm8

Just a suggestion,
Can I ask for a MAVE4 - Road transition? Having to go back to AVE-4 and then to road is a pet hate of mine.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Cosmic

Quote from: yddot on May 16, 2010, 02:43:44 PM
Has anyone yet figured out a way to avoid this problem with transition pieces?  It happens to me 100% of the time and I'm curious if maybe it's just my computer... (I don't have another Windows machine to test on)

<pictures snipped>

I get this issue as well; so it is likely not just your computer. I use an NVidia graphics card (specifically, an NVidia GeForce 8800GS); if you use one also then perhaps the issue is only for NVidia cards?

Blue Lightning

The transition issue is most likely with how your video card z-fights. I think there's an option in the Nvidia panel.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

yddot

Quote from: Cosmic on May 16, 2010, 05:17:57 PM
I get this issue as well; so it is likely not just your computer. I use an NVidia graphics card (specifically, an NVidia GeForce 8800GS); if you use one also then perhaps the issue is only for NVidia cards?

I think it must be an nvidia thing.  I tried to duplicate the problem on a computer with ATI graphics and the issue was pretty much non-existent.  I'm still looking for a way to fix this.  I can't exactly swap video cards in a laptop...

yddot

Quote from: Tarkus on May 16, 2010, 02:49:26 PM

yddot, I've not been able to replicate that here on my end yet--it's possible it may indeed be some sort of graphic setting issue.

Alex,

I've made some observations.  The problem only exists when there is zoning or development placed next to the transition piece (you mentioned "wealthification" before and I think that's contributing).  Also, I can rotate my map and sometimes the problem will completely disappear by doing that.  But upon returning to the original direction, the problem returns.  Also, zooming out to the third highest zoom level seems to fix it as well.  But of course, this is not very useful.  Also, moving screen away from the problem area and returning to it causes it to render differently--the problem is still there, just either slightly better or slightly worse than before. 

I think the comment about the z-fighting might be spot on, but I have no clue which settings to tweak in the NVIDIA control panel for that.

I hope these observations might shed some light on the problem.  I LOVE NWM but this issue is very distracting--sometimes it causes the road to disappear completely from view!

Thanks again for your effort.

Matt

Starmanw402007

I'm having some problems with downloading the May Nam 2010. When i click on download I come up with that message that tells me i have to try again when i do.
I does it again. Reason why i need to replace the Origional May 2010 release is
because I'm missing turning lanes for avenues. And when i re install it its still missing.

Your Friend;
SWhitehouse
(May Of Varrock City,Maxiston City,Steven Point)
proud to be cities of Sim Nation!!
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

Wilfried

I have one question on the NWM - Why are the TLA-5 and MAVE-4/-6 based on the Road network and not the One-Way Road network? Are there any technical reasons for that?

Oh, and another thing - please consider these two screenshots:

There are paths missing or wrong, when a Street or Road is connected to only one half of an OWR-4. (I'm already using z-NWM_Fixes.dat aka NWM 1.02.)

b22rian

hey ALex ...

brian here...

Fantastic job on both the NWM and RHW releases !
Hopefully you feel the hours and hours you toiled and worked so hard on these 2 mods were worth it !

looks like the pathing is missing from the OWR-3 ending in T intersection with road.. Left hand turn from

OWR-3 on to road network,

thanks again brian