• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Empire Bay: Green Meadows

Started by RickD, February 03, 2012, 03:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickD

Empire Bay - The Monastery

Previously on Empire Bay:
The region seems to be uninhabited and untouched for ages. Pristine nature wherever the eye can see.
Really?

There is one outpost of civilization in the region:

an old cloister of the Dovahkiin Brotherhood, founded in the 16th century. It is currently inhabited by 108 monks.

They live a life of deprivation, almost fully isolated from civilization. An occasional boat brings news from the outside world and new applicants for the order.

The monasterie's church and herb garden.

The monks are growing vines on the hill around the monastery. It is an old grape variety that can stand the harsh climate. The wine tastes very, very sour dry, though.

With almost no contact to the outside world, the monks have to supply themselves with food.

Therefore they are keeping farm animals.

Next on Empire Bay:
Witness the first settlers since over 500 years arrive in the region. What is their motive? What are they up to?
Don't miss the third update of Empire Bay.

Replies:

Quote from: Framly on February 03, 2012, 04:13:51 PM
I was the "last one" in Santa Barbara, soo..i'm the "first one" at Empire Bay!

Very promising pictures! I like your landscape :thumbsup:

Viel Glück und Spass für das neue Projekt :thumbsup:
First comment!  &hlp Danke!

Quote from: Dantes on February 03, 2012, 04:22:18 PM
Your new work begins. $%#Ninj2  I am very impressed by the scenery.  :o An exciting region.   :) I wish you much fun.  :thumbsup:

(the waterfall is spectacular  :o  :o  :o )
Thank you Dantes! :)

Quote from: Tarkus on February 03, 2012, 04:32:34 PM
Raphael, it's great to see your new effort up and going--and to an auspicious start! :thumbsup:  I really like what you've done with the CP trees and RRP flora--you've certainly created a lush landscape there.

And it's great to see someone else use the Kinbasket Lake map, too.  It's fun and challenging terrain, to say the least, and I'm very interested in seeing how you develop it. 

-Alex
Hey, thanks for following my new MD. Are you still playing on the Kinbasket Lake map? I thought you had changed in between.

Quote from: ricardomiranda on February 03, 2012, 06:08:31 PM
Great start for his new journal, good luck to you. Fantastic waterfall!
Thank you.

Quote from: threestooges on February 03, 2012, 06:32:16 PM
I like it. The stage is set for many interesting things to come. I really like what you've done with the trees and meadows. The only thing that stuck out to me was the rock mod. It's a good color and all, but on large bits on uninterrupted cliff it seems a bit repetitive. Perhaps add a few plop rocks or a bit of variation to the terrain to try to break it up, but in pictures like 1.3 it's interesting in that the trees are dense, the waves/rollers in the water are dense and the rock texture follows suit. It's a nice composition in that sense, but given the update, it doesn't seem like that was the concept you were after. Pictures like 1.4 on the other hand really show off the rock mod nicely. Great feel to that one. The barren chilly feel comes across quite well in the early morning/later evening light.

Also, as for 1.6, it's interesting there are rapids only along that one little part and nowhere else. Was this perhaps the source of a mill from the former kingdom, or just a quirk of nature?
-Matt
Hi Matt, thanks for your comments. You are right, I should have worked on the cliffs a bit more. I actually like the rock mod and I probably won't change it, but it would have been better to add some more variation with the terrain tools and ploppable rocks.
The rapids, well, I have to admit that I still haven't mastered the skill of ploppable water :( (at least not to the extend others have). I am currently learning to use the new RFR Water. I plan to revisit certain areas of the region when my skills or available plugins have improved.

Quote from: carlfatal on February 03, 2012, 07:00:59 PM
Wow, great pics...
I too like the waterfall, but also the remains of the buildings as William Tygard I was king. It´s hard to believe nobody came her since then. The winters may cold and long, but the land looks good for people who like a life without the restrictions of the feudalistic era (a lot of dense forests to hide a little village).
And a perfect place for the tower You did find, from here You can make a light and wait till ships and load comes for free. Maybe a good place for wreckers...  $%Grinno$%

I´m intrigued...
Greetz, Carl
I will probably skip the "little village" era. I need to concentrate on what I am good at: dense downtowns and sprawling suburbs.  :P

Quote from: emmotic on February 03, 2012, 09:33:50 PM
Yeah!!! Been waiting for your fresh start...
Awesome intro, will look foward to know what's coming up next
Matt
Great to see you here, Matt!

Quote from: nbvc on February 03, 2012, 09:55:45 PM
Great start. I like the landscapes and the water fall. &apls
Thank you, glad you like it.

Quote from: noahclem on February 04, 2012, 03:39:29 AM
Excellent start Raphael  &apls &apls

The area sounds a bit Nordic and I'm curious what your take on that kind of area will be. So far I'm really enjoying the natural scenes you've created especially the sunny mountain.
I played this region before Santa Barbara. And indeed I got the urge to start it again during my vacation in Norway, with its spectacular landscape of fjords and mountains. Finland is on my top list vacation destionations for 2012, by the way. ;)
I'd join in suggesting a different rock mod--personally I love Ennedi's HD ones on the LEX but I know there's other great ones available as well. Another thing is the trees--they look great now but I'm wondering if they're seasonal (snow-covered in winter). That would be great for the region's long, cold winters. Girafe's various seasonally snow-covered coniferous trees have been a godsend for me.

Have fun continuing I'll be following excitedly  :thumbsup:
Actually, it is an Ennedi HD rock mod. It is completely my fault that it looks that boring. I should have taken the time to use some terrain tools to make the cliff more varied.  &ops I appreciate your constructive critisiscm, though. I know that I can't compete with other players when it comes to nature scenes, but your honest feedback helps me to improve.

Quote from: solsystem on February 04, 2012, 04:30:04 AM
Amazing Map. I'm curious about your new towns and how they fit into this beautiful landscape.
Thanks. You will soon see.

Quote from: art128 on February 04, 2012, 04:30:56 AM
Nice start, Raphael!

Everything is looking really nice. You chose a nice map, and by far the forest are wonderful.

Can't wait to see more.

Arthur.
Thanks, Arthur.

Quote from: bat on February 04, 2012, 10:55:33 AM
Great start of your new MD! :)
Looking forward to more from this nice region... ;)
Thanks and good to see your here, bat.

Quote from: AcoG000 on February 04, 2012, 04:59:44 PM
This is unacceptable! (seriously, it's awesome!)
:D thanks!

Quote from: marsh on February 04, 2012, 06:01:09 PM
Great start! I can't wait to see where you take this.  :thumbsup:

,marsh
Thanks. Give me a few updates to find the direction for this MD. ;)

Quote from: dedgren on February 04, 2012, 06:08:13 PM
A lovely start, Raphael.  Great pics, crisp graphics and... I'm a pushover for waterfalls.

David

Thanks. It is always a pleasure to have you here.

Quote from: apeguy on February 05, 2012, 05:48:50 AM
Very nice start, I like the photoshopping effects. :thumbsup:

Looking forward to more. :)
Thank you.

Quote from: Kergelen on February 05, 2012, 11:45:07 AM
Promising start!

The region you have chose is really nice as the nature picture. I like the "Widows Peak" picture :thumbsup:
I am glad you like it.

Quote from: io_bg on February 06, 2012, 03:31:56 AM
Great start! I'm eager to see how this develops further.
Thanks, Ioan.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

apeguy

Interesting update, a far cry from the urban landscapes of Santa Barbara County, but still great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

MTT9

It always a good surprise to see an update in your MDs. I really liked the fact that you didn't use streets but mpp's to make trails. Look foward for more. Matt
You can call me Matt

marsh

QuoteDovahkiin Brotherhood

Yes! :D

Lovely work. It will be interesting to see how you take rural scenes. :)

,marsh

carlfatal

The monastery looks good, it´s a nice place to live there but i´m not eager to try this vinegar they have in their cellars. And i´m searching for the dragon´s lair but can´t find it.  ;)
Greetz, Carl

Tarkus

This is the first time I can recall ever seeing a monastery represented in an MD--and I think you've done an extremely convincing job of it.  The amount of detail built into it is absolutely incredible.  And the landscape around it is very well put together as well.  I'm really very curious to see where you go next from here, too.

Quote from: RickD on February 06, 2012, 03:49:30 PM
Are you still playing on the Kinbasket Lake map? I thought you had changed in between.

Wakeman (my first region in Tarkusian Cities) was on Kinbasket Lake . . . I still play that region every once in blue moon, though I haven't showcased it in almost 3 years.

-Alex

Dantes

A very beautifully landscaped cloister.  :satisfied: It looks very medieval. I'm looking forward to the future.  $%#Ninj2

GreekMan

HEY! Sorry to hear that SB is done. I loved that MD a lot! Your downtown in the last updates was fantastic!

anyways, glad to see you start with a new MD. the best of luck to you!
Recreation: San Diego County
Rebuilding America's Finest City!
Visit my MD today!

noahclem

Awesome work with the monastery  &apls  The farms, gardens, trails, and buildings work together very well. And what are the new visitors up to?!

Nice to hear you're wanting to visit Finland! Northern Europe is a spectacularly beautiful place. It's definitely a bit different here than in Norway and I'm sure you'd really like it. If you do end up visiting I'd be happy to suggest places to go and you're welcome to visit around here if you're in the north-central part of the country  :thumbsup:

benedict

Great start to your new endeavor - and it has catapulted you to number one on this week's Ben's Top Ten.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

art128

That is one nice monastery, Raphael! I really liked the detail put with the MMPs.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Ol.S / Benoit

Love your monastery, great work !  :thumbsup:
Benoit.
MD : Click on picture

RickD

Previously on Empire Bay:
The monastery is the only outpost of civilization in the region so far.
This changes in todays update.

The First Settlement

In the early 20th century geological surveys found large deposits of coal, iron and other minerals buried deep in the Kinbasket Mountains. Not a year after this discovery the Empire Mining Corporation, a consortium of Simnation's three largest mining companies, signed a deal with the federal government. It granted them the exclusive mining rights and put the region under the administration of the company. Malicious tounges allege that bribery was involved.

It took only a few month to put together a first team of pioneers (a crude mix of adventurers, people with no other perspective in life, and plain criminals) and send it into the region. Its task to construct a harbor for bringing in more materials and workers, build a base camp, and start expeditions into the mountains to find a good location for the first mine.

This natural harbor on Empire Island was chosen for a first settlement. It will provide protection for the ships from the ocean waves during the frequent storms.

Quickly the workers construct a simple dock...

...and some warehouses.

Barracks provide temporary housing for the first settlers living on Empire Island.

Much improvisation is needed. Fresh produce can't be brought in by ship so the settlers are growing vegetables in their gardens.

The Empire Mining Co. knows that hard working men need a little recreation after a long day. Murphy's Bar is the meeting point in the evening. Lots of alcohol, gambling, fist fights and other "amenities" are available here. The bar is located at the corner of Dock Road and Murphy Street (named after the Bar, of course).

A simple but robust diesel generator provides electrical power to the small settlement. But only the docks, warehouses amd Murphy's Bar have electricity. It is a hard and simple life out here and priorities have to be set.

Soon the docks will need to be expanded along the shoreline.

An overwiew of the fist settlement on Empire Island, population 247.

Next on Empire Bay:
No time can be wasted. The Empire Mining Corporation needs to make profit. Construction of the first mine begins in Update 4.

Replies:

Quote from: apeguy on February 06, 2012, 03:56:47 PM
Interesting update, a far cry from the urban landscapes of Santa Barbara County, but still great. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Thank you. And don't worry, I will get back to big city life eventually. I just want to establish a richer and more consistent background story than I did in Santa Barbara.

Quote from: emmotic on February 06, 2012, 04:02:39 PM
It always a good surprise to see an update in your MDs. I really liked the fact that you didn't use streets but mpp's to make trails. Look foward for more. Matt
Thanks, Matt.
Quote from: marsh on February 06, 2012, 04:15:10 PM

QuoteDovahkiin Brotherhood

Yes! :D

Lovely work. It will be interesting to see how you take rural scenes. :)

,marsh
Glad you like it Marsh. I got Skyrim lately. I'm almost 60 hours in the game and haven't even started the main quest.  ::)

Quote from: carlfatal on February 06, 2012, 05:05:05 PM
The monastery looks good, it´s a nice place to live there but i´m not eager to try this vinegar they have in their cellars. And i´m searching for the dragon´s lair but can´t find it.  ;)
Greetz, Carl
I like dry wines but I won't even try this one.  $%Grinno$% About the dragons lair ... well, I won't copy Skimbo. ;)

Quote from: Tarkus on February 06, 2012, 07:19:55 PM
This is the first time I can recall ever seeing a monastery represented in an MD--and I think you've done an extremely convincing job of it.  The amount of detail built into it is absolutely incredible.  And the landscape around it is very well put together as well.  I'm really very curious to see where you go next from here, too.

Quote from: RickD on February 06, 2012, 03:49:30 PM
Are you still playing on the Kinbasket Lake map? I thought you had changed in between.

Wakeman (my first region in Tarkusian Cities) was on Kinbasket Lake . . . I still play that region every once in blue moon, though I haven't showcased it in almost 3 years.

-Alex
Thank you. Alas, I couldn't find any ploppable monks. Interesting that you still play Wakeman sometimes. It is not exaxtly the best region for extensive freeway networks. However, I look forward to mastering the challenges this terrain provides in regards to RHW.

Quote from: Dantes on February 08, 2012, 05:14:08 AM
A very beautifully landscaped cloister.  :satisfied: It looks very medieval. I'm looking forward to the future.  $%#Ninj2
Thanks. We will progress into the future with fast steps. :)

Quote from: GreekMan on February 10, 2012, 01:10:49 AM
HEY! Sorry to hear that SB is done. I loved that MD a lot! Your downtown in the last updates was fantastic!

anyways, glad to see you start with a new MD. the best of luck to you!
Great to see you here. And there will be downtown updates from Empire Bay probably sooner than later. I layed the foundation in todays update. ;)

Quote from: noahclem on February 10, 2012, 05:23:52 AM
Awesome work with the monastery  &apls  The farms, gardens, trails, and buildings work together very well. And what are the new visitors up to?!

Nice to hear you're wanting to visit Finland! Northern Europe is a spectacularly beautiful place. It's definitely a bit different here than in Norway and I'm sure you'd really like it. If you do end up visiting I'd be happy to suggest places to go and you're welcome to visit around here if you're in the north-central part of the country  :thumbsup:
Hey thanks. I might actually come back to your offer. ;)

Quote from: benedict on February 10, 2012, 07:04:55 AM
Great start to your new endeavor - and it has catapulted you to number one on this week's Ben's Top Ten.
Thank you!

Quote from: art128 on February 10, 2012, 07:11:11 AM
That is one nice monastery, Raphael! I really liked the detail put with the MMPs.
Glad you like it, Arthur.

Quote from: Ol.S / Benoit on February 11, 2012, 07:24:29 AM
Love your monastery, great work !  :thumbsup:
Thank you.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Terring7

So a bar has better priority than the houses, right? ::)
The landscape colours are very nice and I really like the bottom of the sea. Keep it up :)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

carlfatal

Hi Rick,
Your new MD is really fantastic. I like the pictures as well as the story background.  &apls
I can see how Murphy´s law is ordinary in Murphy´s bar...  $%Grinno$%
And i can´t wait for the next update!
Greetz, Carl

apeguy

Nice update once again, I look forward to the next chapter of the story. ;D

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

art128

Hello, Rick!

You've done some good job with the first settlement. That little harbour is looking already nice. I hope it will develop into a major international seaport in the future.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

io_bg

Interesting... I'm curious to see how this town will develop further!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

nbvc

Nice small town and the cloister too. :thumbsup:

Yan077

Exciting start of your new MD !
My favourite update was the number two with the isolated monastery,
The atmosphere is very unique, sad and disturbing, and I love it ! &apls

Keep up the good work  :thumbsup: