• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Shultzy's Showcase - Riverholm

Started by ShultzCity, January 03, 2010, 04:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmouse

The zoomed-out shots are great, Jacob. I especially like the way you've laid out the roads – I guess they're roads, not rail lines, but it's hard to tell from this distance. 5.3 really shows off how the shape of the water and the road layout complement each other. You definitely have an eye for the aesthetics of design.

One thing that caught my eye in the first couple of shots is the "thickness" of the quad – the elevation. It would be almost impossible to cut a river through it or have a beach, yet I can see what looks like normal shores in 5.4. I do believe I'm missing something here. ()what()

I must agree with the others who have posted here. That region shot looks quite realistic, as do the other photos.

Another good update...
Joan

Welcome to page 11, and congratulations on 200 posts!

metarvo

I'm glad to see the non-grid layout here, Jacob.  It can be hard to do, but it looks like you've done it right.  That square map resembles something one might find on the Google Maps or Google Earth satellite view.  Congratulations on OSITM, Jacob!

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

ShultzCity

-- Replies --

sumwonyuno: Thanks for the lovely comment! Yes, I'm sure that would be a great name - maybe I should reserve it for my grandest city?  :D

nedalezz: Thanks! Glad it looks realistic :)

Bobbi: Thanks Renne  :)

ecoba: Thanks Ethan! Read on and find out ;) .

Battlecat: Thanks BC :) - Haven't backed it up yet... Probably a good idea though!

Jmouse: Thanks for the lovely comment Joan. That's the main freeway, definitely not rail ;) . There is another medium sized tile between this one and the river  :thumbsup: . Thanks again :)

metarvo: Thanks! It is hard because of the restrictions to the curves  - getting it to look nice at zoom 1 and zoom 6 is a very fine balance!

-- Update --

A name has been decided upon! SC4D community, meet 'Estburn', the newest city of Riverholm! As quickly as it started though, Estburn, being a small tile, has been completed. Two thirds of this tile is pure nature, which has been reserved by the council to preserve natural flora and fauna. I tried a few new and slightly different techniques to creating the rec area. It will be interesting to see what you think! So on with the update...

6.1 - I tried to make the banks of the river look as if it were under a restoration project - lots of smaller shrubs being established to maintain soil quality, among other things.

6.3 - The main rec area. You can see little paths going along the river banks.

6.5 - Floodplains, currently flooded with recent rainfall.

6.6 - Main freeway connection between Estburn and Grenish.

6.7 - Main commercial district of Estburn.

6.11 - And finally, a mosaic skirting up the western edge of Estburn.

Hope you have enjoyed the update!
Jacob :)
I'd love it if you could check out my photography! Click on of the links below:
http://www.jacobshultz.com.au
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jshultzphotography/

ecoba

I certainly have enjoyed it, Jacob !

The river banks really look great in this situation, I especially like the river in the middle of the freeway, you've made a great usage of the flora.

At the bottom of the mosaic, I also see your SAM textures in the rural setting, and they look fabulous as well !

Ethan :)

threestooges

Fine update you've made here. Your flora work is great, as is the textural variety. How long did it take you to put it all together? I would have almost expected to see a bit swampier of a picture in 6.3, but then I've also seen clear water in small channels like that before. Is that part of the restoration plan? It looks like a nice wetland/bird sanctuary. Also, nice work on the rail viaduct in 6.10. The curved trestle is a nice touch. Making the most of your OSITM it seems.
-Matt

RickD

The wetlands look great. Especially in the zoomed out view (6.10).
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Girafe

"greener it is better it is"

natural pics are really amazing and you found the way for mixing mayor plop items and classical plop items it's so nice  &apls &apls
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Battlecat

I love how your swampy land turned out!  Great use of the two different styles of plopable water!  The overview of the entire area is stunning as well, you really have a good eye for natural detailing!

planetechef

Lovely pictures, you really create a beautifull nature  :thumbsup:
& coming soon "Sakura Republic".

kwakelaar

The natural features are looking very good, a nice update from Estburn.

Earth quake

These pictures are splendid and your nature is fantastic.

Jmouse

The first five photos are so typical of your distinctive style – a style I never tire of admiring and studying. I really like the way you've depicted a flash flood in 6.5 – never saw that done before.

6.10 looks especially good. Once again, I must compliment you on the highway layout, and its conformity to the existing terrain. Wish RL DOTs were as conscious of preserving the natural beauty of the environs as you are! The little village is well placed, too, and looks perfectly natural right where it is.

I looked at 6.11 for quite a while, admiring the detail work and the way you've combined so many elements in such a natural-looking way. I'm not at all sure it's something which can be taught, though – you either have the gift or you don't.

Congratulations, Jacob, on another fine update and a stellar month in OSITM... :thumbsup:
Joan

CoastRunner

That river is beautiful!  I love the detail done in creating it, it looks wonderful!  I can see why you got OSITM.

canyonjumper

Wow Jacob! Amazing work with the river! How do you decide what goes where? Because the results look awesome!

Your friend,
                                 Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

io_bg

I just love that river and the highway curving around it. Fantastic work! &apls
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

sumwonyuno

Unbelievably wonderful!   &apls &apls &apls  I really like 6.2 and 6.5, they're especially well-crafted and looks quite realistic.

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

ShultzCity

Hi everyone,

After not being able to update Riverholm for such a long time, and RL getting busier and busier, I think it has become time for me to call an end to what has been a wonderful (and educational) journey. I still play SC4 every now and then, but nowhere near long enough to pull together enough content for a respectable update.  :'(

I might still post some pictures of Riverholm in various show us your threads in the future, but I can't say it will happen with any consistency.

Mods, feel free to do whatever you do with inactive MD's.

See you around,
Jacob :)
I'd love it if you could check out my photography! Click on of the links below:
http://www.jacobshultz.com.au
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jshultzphotography/

Jmouse

I've been thinking about you lately, Jacob, and wondering what became of you. So sorry to hear you won't be able to continue with Riverholm, but it's completely understandable. We all know SC4 isn't a game you can pick up for 15 minutes at a time like solitaire!

What's more, starting and keeping up with an MD involves an enormous commitment of time. Later, if it no longer fits into your schedule, putting it aside is your best choice. I do hope we'll see some pictures of your work from time to time, though.

Later... :)
Joan

RickD

Oh no, that's too bad. But I understand your desicion.  &mmm
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

sumwonyuno

ShultzCity,  I for one have been greatly inspired by your work!  Take care!  :)

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!