• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugu3

Tarkus

Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

In any case, now that I've let the cat out of the bag (and changed the thread title to match), I thought I'd detail a bit more about how this secret project has progressed up to this point, and briefly describe how it works.  The FTL concept was initially devised by my brilliant colleague memo (presently MIA, sadly), who came up with a prototype version for the Road network exactly 2 years ago today, just before NAM 32 had its official release.  Subsequently, we collaborated on the project, and expanded to cover Avenues.  It was shelved for a time as we shifted our attention to other projects, but with the recent developments with the OWR Signalization and Turn Arrow Project, and the necessity of it for the proposed revamp of the FlexSPUI system, the dust is being cleared off it at long last.

The basic principle behind it is that rather than placing individual TuLEPs and having to connect them to the appropriate intersection, the FTL system all emanates from a series of hybrid starter/FLEX transition pieces, which, when dragged out one side, produce a base or base override network, and out the other, produce a turn lane setup for that network.  The turn lane overrides continue until they hit an intersection, at which point the appropriate overrides reconfigure the base intersection to fit the turn lane setup.

Here's the now-finished version of that Avenue Type 220 FTL/One-Way Road intersection from yesterday:

All that is needed to construct this setup is placing the FTL piece that transitions from Avenue to Avenue Type 220, and dragging out the turn lane side until reaching the One-Way Road/Avenue intersection, which is subsequently overridden to support the dual left turn lanes.

You might notice a little difference with the look of the turn arrows on the Avenue FTL as well--I'm experimenting with the implementations.  The previous screenshot used a T21-based arrow, whereas these arrows are part of the texture, just as the OWR Turn Arrows from the signalization project are.

-Alex

dyoungyn

I am excited to see development into this.  I feel that FTL is the way to go and reminds of "Star Trek Enterprise". 

Again, keep up the GREAT imaginative thinking WAY outside of the box.

dyoungyn

compdude787

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Tarkus

The array of possible setups for T-intersections is also increasing.

The one quirk I have found with Avenue setups is that there seems to be a hardcoded limitation with the stop point placement and its effect on signals, so with intersections like this, at least one of the approaches will have to be Road-based to get working signals on the far side of the intersection.  The overrides for the Avenue FTLs will work with either Avenue or Road/TLA-5, and the transitions into the turn lanes will allow either network through.

-Alex

compdude787

Wow, that looks nice! This is going to be a feature I'm really looking forward to in NAM 35!

We'll get to NAM 40 by the end of the year if you keep up the once-a-month updates. That will truly be impressive!
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Ryan B.

What in . . . I just may have to dust off the BAT & get some lane use mast-arms done for you, Alex.

kbieniu7

Wow... great respect for your work every time, you show something new  &apls
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Gugu3

Tarkus

Thanks, guys--and Ryan, great to see you back around these parts! :thumbsup:

Quote from: compdude787 on January 08, 2016, 09:15:17 PM
We'll get to NAM 40 by the end of the year if you keep up the once-a-month updates. That will truly be impressive!

The gap between NAM 34 and 35 may end up being a little bit longer than the one between NAM 33 and 34, but we're still aiming to keep the gaps way down from what they were, and I think that quick turnaround on NAM 34 has given us confidence in our new methods of release engineering.   That 22-month cycle for NAM 33 was bad all the way around.  Rather than just continually cramming things in, we're looking at each project and figuring out what is manageable now, and queuing things that aren't doable in that immediate timeframe for NAM 36, with the understanding that the release-after-next is not going to be years away.

Getting back to FTL development, I've also been playing around with the slip lane implementation a bit . . .

There's still some kinks to work out with some INRUL interference, but we're getting close to replicating all existing TuLEP puzzle piece functionality with the new FTL system, which is the primary goal with this initial phase of the project.  The only things that haven't been covered yet are the turn lane crossings with Rail, GLR, and Elevated Rail, and the triple-tile NWM networks.

-Alex

InvisiChem

Alex,

As always, your projects are an inspiration. These will save so much time and frustration. I am slightly colorblind, as many others are. Trying to place TuLEPs was a pain and a lot of trial and error.  &hlp sometimes only partially explains things. Not the fault of the mod, just a problem with colors faded and our eyes.

Anyways, Flex will make this a problem of the past. Thank you and as always keep up the inspiring work.
Everyone has something to offer, most do not possess the courage to offer it.

Tarkus

Thanks!  It's really great to hear that FTL is going to make the turn lane situation better for the slightly colorblind--and that definitely gives me even more motivation for this project. :thumbsup:

I've started adding NWM slip lane support.  It's going to require quite the slew of adjacency overrides so that the intersection following the slip lane split doesn't deconvert to the base network.

I'm also having to go back to the drawing board a little bit with some of the narrower dual-tile networks--the OWR-4, OWR-5, and RD-4, as well as the outer tile of the triple-tile AVE-6--because the original curvature I used to make the existing slip lane splits isn't long enough to reach the outermost lane of those networks.  The OWR-4 is especially problematic in that regard, as it may even require an extension tile in order to reach properly.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Slip Lanes are great, but without center turning lane(s), rather useless to me.  I assume the pix is a new type of AVE6 or is this narrow AVE6 or 3 tile AVE6?

Tarkus

That's the RD-6 network, actually.  It's not a new network, and has been around since the first NWM release 5 years ago, when it was initially known as the MAVE-6, and renamed because people kept confusing it with the triple-tile AVE-6.

The good news is that the RD-6 has an identical footprint to the Avenue Type 220 FTLs (the ones with the dual left turn lanes), so it should be relatively easy to generate the slip lane setup for those now.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

Thank you for the clarification.  Still looks GREAT!!!! 

I tried to figure it out and initially thought it was a two tile road but wasn't sure.  I am anxiously awaiting to see the same with traditional AVE6/7.

Tarkus

Well, the wait is over . . .

It turns out I did need extender tiles for the OWR-4, OWR-5, RD-4, and TLA-7/AVE-6 to produce a satisfactory result.  Made all the textures today for those, and started coding them in tonight.

Once I add the support for the slip lanes off the Road Type 110, and Avenue Type 120 and 220 FTL setups, then all the slip lane functionality will be coded.

-Alex

Vizoria

Great stuff! So am I correct in saying that all of the TULEPs no longer need puzzle pieces?

Gugu3

mgb204

Quote from: Tarkus on January 13, 2016, 12:37:04 AM
Well, the wait is over . . .

>:( You are making more work for my texture mods. Keep it up  :thumbsup: $%Grinno$%

Tarkus

Quote from: Vizoria on January 13, 2016, 01:21:15 AM
Great stuff! So am I correct in saying that all of the TULEPs no longer need puzzle pieces?

That is correct.  It'll all be draggables and FLEX/starter pieces once NAM 35 arrives.  The old puzzle pieces will be relegated to legacy support.  The development threshold I'm looking at for the FTL functionality for NAM 35 is the point at which (a) all existing TuLEPs PP functionality has been replicated under the new paradigm, and (b) there's enough additional extra bells-and-whistles to sweeten the deal, to convince any potential holdouts.  After that has been accomplished, FTL development will transition toward the addition new configurations and lane control setups.

Quote from: mgb204 on January 13, 2016, 06:29:31 AM
>:( You are making more work for my texture mods. Keep it up  :thumbsup: $%Grinno$%

:D

In any case, thank you all for the kind words.  And before I conclude this post, a development screenie.  The FTL/slip lane interaction is coming into focus:

You can actually see one of the hybrid starter/transitions on display partially exposed there.  Here they are completely exposed:

Dragging out from the bottom of each, you'll get the base network, and out the top, you'll get the turn lane setup.

-Alex