• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, August 01, 2009, 09:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan_Waters

This aerobatics!  :thumbsup: &apls &apls &apls

Are there any ideas to develop NRD-4? It seems to me - it is the most convenient way for the city, but very little support for it.

dyoungyn

FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  AMAZING &apls  Off the shelf!!!! 

Would love to finally &idea see AVE6/7 T intersection with TLUPs with AVE4.

compdude787

Quote from: Alan_Waters on February 05, 2016, 02:20:04 PM
Are there any ideas to develop NRD-4? It seems to me - it is the most convenient way for the city, but very little support for it.

Given the fact that NRD-4 already takes up an entire grid cell with a very narrow sidewalk, you can't really add turning lanes without the road extending into adjacent tiles. This basically defeats the purpose of having it being narrow. Sure, you could make the network overhanging like the RHW-6S, but this isn't really going to be feasible because adjacent lots will cover up the road.

What would be nice for the NRD-4 would be to have transitions between it and the two-tile RD-4, as well as transitions to avenue and TLA-5.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

metarvo

I had to think about whether or not I wanted to collapse onto the floor after seeing that.  That intersection is a like a boss to be sure!  What a beast!  Fantastic, Alex!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Tarkus

Thanks, SimCoug, Alan_Waters, dyoungyn, compdude, and metarvo! :thumbsup:

Just about got this gator down, too . . . still a couple problem spots that can show up in clicking, but it's almost there.  The Avenue setups (Type 120 and 220) are next on the list.

Quote from: Alan_Waters on February 05, 2016, 02:20:04 PM

As compdude mentioned, there's almost no potential for NRD-4 FTLs, aside from slip lane support (which will happen this time around) and maybe, much farther down the line, a Type 021 setup that would add an extra tile with a right turn lane on one side.  There's also the matter of supporting intersections of non-FTL NWM networks crossing FTLs (i.e. an Avenue Type 120 x NRD-4 intersection), but that's going to be a later phase of the project.

-Alex

dyoungyn

Alex,

WOW ;D  Is it possible to add slip lanes with the AVE6/7 T Intersection?  Also, I sincerely hope you are looking into AVE6/7 ending with a T Intersection with AVE 4 as this is something that does not exist as of yet.  You are really breaking the sound barrier with what again was once thought IMPOSSIBLE now becoming reality.   Keep up the surprises and if I may speak coming from all those hard care players out there, thank you for all you do keeping the game alive.

dyoungyn

Tarkus

Thanks, dyoungyn!

The slip lane situation with a T-intersection like that is a huge can of worms that I don't plan on getting into for awhile.  Perhaps when dual-lane slips come into play, the two right turn lanes can branch off, but I don't know how I'd set up a version where there's just the existing single-lane slip there in terms of the lane control.  Theoretically, the way the code is right now, that setup could exist, but it'd be an awkward quagmire with the lane control.  T-intersections are very difficult beasts, far more so than +-intersections.

-Alex

j-dub

And so does this mean there soon will be double left turn lanes at X intersections that width? It looks like without the bike path or shoulder on each side, one more lane would of fit on there.

Tarkus

I'll give you a little bit of a hint.  $%#Ninj2 Open up NetworkWideningMod_TripleTile.dat in the Reader or SC4Reader, and load up the S3D file at IID 0x5B003305.  That'll give you some idea of future plans (though probably not for NAM 35).

-Alex

Gugu3

Tarkus

Thanks, Gugu3! :thumbsup:

Just started on the Type 130 x Avenue support.  Here's an early look at a Type 130 x Type 120 +-intersection in-game.

-Alex

Gugu3

Seaman

@Tarkus:

When I look at these interchanges and think of the dragability, it seems to me that your nickname Dr PuzzlePiece will become obsolete. Although one could think of a medical doctor who finds a cure to save us from puzzle pieces :D

honestly, this is amazing. I had the impression that the NWM received little attention in the last couple of NAM iterations compared to the amazing new features of the RHW, thus everybody focused on building fancy highways in rural areas. I think the FTLs will bring the focus back to the dense, crowded city centers and skyscrapers :P

sitejunction

&apls &apls
Getting really excited now that turn lane implementation has finally gotten into full gear. Thanks for your work on these awesome new features.

Are AVE-6/TLA-7 Type 330 and 231s planned out for the long run too? It seems like you could fit 3 turn lanes on a triple tile TuLEP.

Simcoug

omgitskosc

Whoa, these are absolutely amazing! My body is so ready for the next NAM.

Tarkus

Thanks, Gugu3, Seaman, sitejunction, SimCoug, and omgitskosc! :thumbsup:

Quote from: Seaman on February 09, 2016, 06:36:51 AM
@Tarkus:

When I look at these interchanges and think of the dragability, it seems to me that your nickname Dr PuzzlePiece will become obsolete. Although one could think of a medical doctor who finds a cure to save us from puzzle pieces :D

honestly, this is amazing. I had the impression that the NWM received little attention in the last couple of NAM iterations compared to the amazing new features of the RHW, thus everybody focused on building fancy highways in rural areas. I think the FTLs will bring the focus back to the dense, crowded city centers and skyscrapers :P

Hehe . . . oddly enough, I haven't made a static puzzle piece in at least a couple years--not too long after my CML got upgraded from "Mr" to "Dr". :D  And I like that idea of saving everyone from puzzle pieces!

I am at the point where I am largely burnt out with RHW development--in large part because there's not much to add to the system anymore--so you'll probably see a lot more FTL and NWM stuff coming from me, among other things.

Quote from: sitejunction on February 09, 2016, 08:42:45 AM
&apls &apls
Getting really excited now that turn lane implementation has finally gotten into full gear. Thanks for your work on these awesome new features.

Are AVE-6/TLA-7 Type 330 and 231s planned out for the long run too? It seems like you could fit 3 turn lanes on a triple tile TuLEP.

You're welcome, and to answer your question, Type 231 is definitely planned, as it's pretty common setup in RL.  Type 330 is less so--it'd entail three left turn lanes (or right turn lanes, for ye LHD folks), but it's something I may look into going down the line.  Interestingly enough, the one triple-left I'm familiar with (and have actually driven through) in California is actually a Type 321.

And here's another look at the Type 130 progress--the preliminary work on the Type 220 crossing:

-Alex

dyoungyn

APSMS

So beautiful :crytissue:!

Lovely work here; NAM 35 is gonna be pretty sweet, with RRW and FTL/TuLEPs (FTuLep?), and code adjustments.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Gugu3