• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CSGdesign's NATURAL GROWTH

Started by CSGdesign, November 20, 2009, 12:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSGdesign

Quote from: canyonjumper on January 24, 2010, 01:06:53 PM
Great update! Where did you get the road detritus? Or is photoshopped in? Eagerly awaiting more :thumbsup:

-Jordan
Thanks Jordan!
Totally photoshopped - purely to show how the old road has been ironed out.

Quote from: Tomas Neto on January 25, 2010, 04:39:10 AM
Very nice update!!!
Spanks!

Quote from: Battlecat on January 25, 2010, 09:37:57 AM
Great pair of updates!  That urban road really was due for an upgrade, that's some serious congestion there!

Also, very nice touch with the highway upgrades, I really like how there are some leftover segments there where the alignment was improved!
Yeah I like to keep everything in the green, but the eternal commuter loop ... well it kills me.  Really does.  Such a pity, that bug.

Quote from: BuildingUp on January 25, 2010, 03:30:38 PM
Love the rural road pictures! :) You truly have a magnificent region!
Thankyou very much BuildingUp.  Welcome to my MD, I hope you enjoy it!

Eastern Sea-Board Highway South.
This stretch of the SimNation Highway project is proceeding on schedule, and the highway itself has now begun to wrap around the western edges of Kelly Bay, having successfully made its way between Kelly Bay and Tunnings Quarry.

During the course of it being built, it has passed over three intersections, all of which have been completed within a year of being started.

This entry takes a look at those three intersections, and a close look at the construction of two of them.

Area A is the ESBH South / Tunnings Road intersection.  This is the first major intersection of this highway project to have been completed.  We'll take a detailed look at the latter stages of it's construction.

Area B is the ESBH South / Tunnings Lode Line crossing.  This pre-existing rail line is the line that carries virtually all produce from the Tunnings mine to industry and the port in Tellequin Beach.  The line cannot afford to be interrupted for even one day, and it is far less expensive to build a highway bridge over the line than build a new rail bridge or tunnel under the highway.  We'll take a look at the early stages of it's construction.

Area C is the ESBH South / Mavrick Street at-grade intersection.  Mavrick Street is a one of several rural dirt roads in this part of the region, but it cannot afford to be cut off by the highway.  An at-grade intersection with give-way rules applied to the dirt road is all that is required at this intersection.

Let's look at these in reverse order, which is the order they're constructed and also the order of size and complexity from the most basic (C) to the most complex (A).

Area C:

A simple at-grade intersection where Mavrick Street has been upgraded at the intersection to bitumen (to help prevent gravel and rocks be dragged by traffic onto the highway as it crosses).  Mavrick Street must give way to traffic on the highway at all times, but due to the small amount of traffic on the highway, Mavrick street can cross it directly...  At this point ESBH South is little more than a high-speed medium traffic volume road.

The most important aspect of this particular crossing is that it does not interfere with the valuable movement of goods between Tunnings Quarry and Tellequin Beach.

Since the only traffic on this line are two freight trains moving back and forth, communication between the road crews and the traffic controllers for the line is pretty straight forward, ensuring the lines are never obstructed (by a catapillar crossing it for example) when one of the engines is moving through this crossing during construction.

Let's take a look at the early stages of it's construction, and then jump to it being completed.

Step 1 is to clear the trees in the construction zone.

Step 2 is to begin grading the area to raise two slightly graded wide ramps on either side of the line.

Step 3 is to complete these ramps, and survey them to ensure they are the correct heights and distances apart.

Step 4 is to grade and compact the surface, in preparation for the bitumen.

Step 5 is to bitumen the ramps and erect the bridge itself, which consists of the construction of four large concrete pilons, with concrete beams resting on them, ramps leading up to them, and then their surface being bitumened, with crash barriers erected along the side to prevent traffic sliding off the side in crash.

Area A - my favourite:

Here Tunnings Road (the road leading between Kelly Bay and Tunnings Quarry) can be seen winding past the only property being resumed by this intersection - Mays' lucern property.

Let's take a look at the latter stages of it's production, by jumping in at the point where the property has been resumed, trees in the area have been cleared, and Tunnings Road has been lifted and re-layed in it's final position to allow through-traffic during construction (if at a somewhat limited capacity).

After this comes the surveyed piling of the two low-grade ramps that lead up to the new crossing.  At the same time the roads are graded in preparation for the bitumen for the on-off ramps on either side of the intersection.

Next comes the bitumen process itself, where the on-off ramps are laid and while simultaneously the bridge ramps are graded in preparation for their own bitumen being laid.  During this process the Tunnings Road under-passing road is sealed, and road-abouts are finalised at either side of the intersection in preparation for the connection of the on-off ramps and the opening of the highway.

The next stage is the complete sealing of all roads.

Then the bridge itself is constructed, again with massive concrete pilons supporting even more massive concrete beams, which are then surfaced and edged.

Now that the main structure of the highway intersection has been completed, there's nothing left to do but tart it up.  Start with a bit of turf to cover all that unsightly dirt.  Make it a species that is easy to mow, or it's going to be very awkward and expensive to maintain.  Tall grasses are not practical as they are too stalky, too fast growing, too dry, and will too easilly be ignited by a casually discarded lit cigarette butt.

Last but not least, a few shrubs, bushes, or other crash damage reduction strategies.  These have the dual purpose of looking pretty as well as absorbing the energy of a car that has come off the road, preventing it from sliding so far that it causes huge damage or even crosses another road (like an on-off ramp).

It is important to make sure this shrubbery is not large trunked trees, because while they will very effectively stop the wandering car, they will also almost certainly kill it's passengers.

You want smaller shrubs that will give way to the sliding vehicle without stopping it dead, and in this way several bushes or shrubs will slow it to a stop but not so suddenly that everyone on board is turned to paste.  Good rule of thumb if you don't want to scrape up the mess.

Meanwhile the rest of the region barrels ever onwards.

canyonjumper

Great update! I like how you detail the process that the road gets built, instead of just building it, like most people.

-Jordan
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

rhythmandjays

Very nice and methodical...I really enjoyed the quick construction video; it was a fresh angle on how you approach road construction. I hope the highway project finishes on schedule and will be properly utilized.  ;D

Battlecat

Great series of construction views for the area.  Very methodical and realistic approach based on what I've seen of recent highway construction in my area!

GaBoR

Excellent, finally somenone showing how-to-RHW, nice thank you so much

CSGdesign

Quote from: canyonjumper on January 25, 2010, 10:02:45 PM
Great update! I like how you detail the process that the road gets built, instead of just building it, like most people.

-Jordan
I wanted to show a bit of history to the intersection's construction.

Quote from: rhythmandjays on January 25, 2010, 11:58:42 PM
Very nice and methodical...I really enjoyed the quick construction video; it was a fresh angle on how you approach road construction. I hope the highway project finishes on schedule and will be properly utilized.  ;D
So far we're ahead of schedule.  The central main intersections may take some time to complete but everything is going well.

Quote from: Battlecat on January 26, 2010, 10:19:40 AM
Great series of construction views for the area.  Very methodical and realistic approach based on what I've seen of recent highway construction in my area!
I haven't seen highway construction, but plenty of smaller road and avenue construction, locally... the process is interesting for me.

Quote from: GaBoR on January 26, 2010, 11:14:42 AM
Excellent, finally somenone showing how-to-RHW, nice thank you so much
Haha I'm not sure I'm showing anyone how to RHW just yet - I'm very green at it myself, still.

A quick entry to let you guys know that I have now launched my own blog site, which is pretty comprehensive.
You can visit it here.

It will grow in complexity and detail over time, but for now it's pretty fleshy.

It currently has:

1. Links to all publication releases of this journal and my other journal
   2. Links to my other websites, including my main site
   3. Links to other unrelated materials, such as tutorials I've produced for other games
   4. Entries that relate to behind-the-scenes looks at how things are being done for the production of this and other journals.
   5. Personal entries about my life in general (not too personal though!)
   6. Search fields to make finding stuff easier now and especially in the future as it grows.

It will also have in the immediate future:

1. Videos and animations, including tutorials.
   2. My portfolio (both personal and work-related)
   3. A few surprises I'm not telling you about just yet!

This is a supporting blog for my journals, and will not replace them.  It will act as a kind of "glue" binding all my stuff together and giving readers a bit of something extra to browse. Anyone can join, comment or make suggestions or ask questions, or even just lurk and read it like a creepy stalker type dude if that's yer thing.  You can also contact me directly by email.

I look forward to seeing you there!

GaBoR

Nice blog and lovely street mapping tutorial!

CSGdesign

Quote from: GaBoR on January 29, 2010, 09:37:19 AM
Nice blog and lovely street mapping tutorial!
Haha thankyou GaBoR.  The blog I'll update as often as this journal - it has all sorts of juicy behind-the-scenes stuff cuz I wanna keep the MD as clean and clear and dedicated to the story as possible, but I also want to publish the behind-the-scenes like BAT threads and upcoming release ideas and such, and involve readers in that too...

Mathshampton Intersection has begun being constructed.

As with many of these intersections, the planning process lead to a debate process (including public input) which lead to a re-planning process, and often this cycle occurred for months until a final design was formed.

This particular intersection moved in favour of overseas models that showed that raised highways were effective but the negative repurcussions could often outweight he positives.

For this reason the raised section was as small as possible to prevent this negative impact, to slow traffic well before the roundabout, and to increase local appeal.

The entrance to the university was re-routed, initially in gravel while construction of the main avenue progressed, and then asphalted alonside it.

The grading process was particularly lengthy, as it needed to take into consideration noise-restrictions on times of operation of heavy equipment (due to the neighbouring residential areas) as well as the stadium foundations which needed to be re-enforced as the grading changed the earth works near its base.

The primary concern was to put the roundabout in as soon as possible, to keep traffic flowing during the construction of the highway.  Landscaping of the roundabout would be done last, along with everything else cosmetic about the development.

Leading from the roundabout the boulevard was laid, lined, and intersections were upgraded to handle the traffic once the boulevard was opened.  This particular strip of the boulevard is now open and fully operational, although traffic flowing on it is minimal since most of it will be the highway which is not yet connected.

The raised section of the highway is being built, the ramps will come last to prevent dangerous situations caused by idiots driving cars up on an unfinished raised construction site.  All equipment and supplies are craned onto the construction site as it snakes it's way south through the suburbs.

The Maynard Road intersection was also completed recently, although it too varied somewhat from original plans.
It has taken direction from Korot Industries, who pointed out that for not much extra cost a simple diamond overpass intersection could be installed and would save council from having to install exactly the same intersection in only 5 short years according to traffic increase projections.

Signage is being built for this and other intersections... you can read about (and comment on) this process by visting my blog.

Till next time!

carkid1998

Very nice MD!! &apls

I look forward to seeing the signage! Also, will you upload your signs? If so, then Great!!

Ryan :thumbsup:
Sendona... Coming soon!

Nanami

canyonjumper

Cool update! That signage looks cool, can't wait to use them, if you release them.

-Jordan

MandelSoft

Nice you started working out signage. Maybe I can give you some tips about designing signs. I've already created a few signage sets, and I'm happy to share my knowledge  ;)

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

CSGdesign

Quote from: carkid1998 on January 30, 2010, 07:54:03 AM
Very nice MD!! &apls

I look forward to seeing the signage! Also, will you upload your signs? If so, then Great!!

Ryan :thumbsup:
Well the problem with uploading them is they need to be built specifically for each intersection.
Not only because of what they say, but also because of how they affect the roads.  See they are effectively parks, so when you place them next to a road the roads gets all these footpaths and stuff on it automatically.  To stop that they need to be plopped further away from the road (with their props overhanging so much that they appear next to the road).  As a result it becomes pretty much impossible to make them fit any other intersection other than the specific one they've been designed to fit.

Quote from: 976 on January 30, 2010, 09:39:04 AM
It's nice!
Spanks!

Quote from: canyonjumper on January 30, 2010, 02:48:54 PM
Cool update! That signage looks cool, can't wait to use them, if you release them.

-Jordan
I have posted a lot of detail on my blog about their progress... I'm not sure it will be possible to create them in a way that will make them useable by anyone else.

Quote from: mrtnrln on January 31, 2010, 12:42:09 AM
Nice you started working out signage. Maybe I can give you some tips about designing signs. I've already created a few signage sets, and I'm happy to share my knowledge  ;)

Best,
Maarten
I'm very happy to be shown anything you can show me!  Especially if you can show me a way around the issues I'm currently having...?

Boston's SimNational Highway Project has been under construction for 9 months now with great gusto.  The single largest single project ever undertaken by the Boston City Council (due in no small part to the resources and funding provided by the SimNational Government), it has proceeded in an organised and rapid fashion.

Many of the major intersections are being commenced independently to the highway itself, to time their opening with the connection of the highway itself to them as they are completed.
Boston v2 Region is alive with earthworks and the beeping of heavy earth moving equipment.

The Boston Central CBD region.

The Western Mountain Highway as it winds out of town towards the Western Mountains Range (to the west, oddly).

The Eastern Sea-Board Highway North, having upgraded the existing road that had served as a highway for the last 20 years.  Crews on this stretch of road have been diverted to the other roads, and will resume the upgrading and bypassing of this stretch of the highway later, by connecting it from the south as it is constructed from the Gretchin Avenue end.

The ESBH South as it winds it's way around Kelly Bay.  Very little protest about smashing through the forests, as the residents know the alternative is smash through Kelly Bay itself, and the majority of those with "fight" in them had already put their eggs in the "don't build through our town" basket... taking the wind out of their sails and the credibility away from them for protesting the clearing of the forest instead.

The ESBH as it curls around the east side of the Tunnings Quarry and makes it's way through southern woodlands towards Boston's southern neighbors.

The project is on track to being completed at the end of 1992.

Rady

That's simply great. Every time I read you MD I see something new in the way of presenting a MD! You must spend some time on that!!
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

canyonjumper

Wow! Great update! You must spent a lot of time on those maps! And excellent blog!

-Jordan

rooker1

An out standing MD.  &apls No wonder it is being moved to the OSITM spot light this month.

Congratulations on the move from mysel and The SC4D Staff!

Call me Robin, please.

mightygoose

congrastulations, now lets see if  we can't turn a few heads
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

tooheys

QuoteRibbon to come later...

Damn, knew we should have paid that bill  :D Well done CSGdesign, have a great month.

canyonjumper

metarvo

Congratulations on OSITM, CSGdesign!  :thumbsup:  The level of detail and planning in this MD is very good, and I'm ready to see what you have planned for this month.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.