• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CSGdesign's NATURAL GROWTH

Started by CSGdesign, November 20, 2009, 12:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

It could've happen anytime that Natural Growth would get the OSITM. It's well deserved! Congratulations!
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Faded Glory

Nice update (as usual). I like how you can see the overview; it gives it a sense of accomplishment. Also, thank god I have an SC4D account, or else I would sorely miss this CJ on Simtrop. Keep up the good work!  ;D

Jmouse

Congratulations, CSGdesign! I have a feeling I'm going to wish February had a few more days - it's going to be an exciting month in OSITM! :)

Later...

Joan

Battlecat

Congratulations on your OSITM!  Glad to see your excellent work here is being recognized!  I quite like the style of those maps, the region is exploding with highway construction now!

GaBoR

Nice regional overview!, canpt wait to see your new highway system!

Tomas Neto

Great update again, and congratulations on OSITM!!!  :thumbsup:

rhythmandjays

Excellent updates...a great, new presentation! It's no surprise that this MD would receive an OSITM honor. Congrats on the achievement!  &apls  &apls  &apls

bat

Congrats for the OSITM-award! And looking forward to more updates... ;)

naftixe

Wow, you have shocked me and the CJ/MD worlds :'(

Keep up the good work and I will try to keep up.  &apls

Feel free to PM me anytime. If you want I will give you my personal email to keep in touch ;D

ecoba

Congragulations on OSITM! Natural Growth really is an amazing MD!

Ethan

marsh

Congrats on the OSITM!

Your question is not a public one, this is a MD.  Robin - Global Moderator

jdenm8

Nice highway update and congratulations on the award. Had to do a bit of searching to find this NG thread though.

(I am the same jdenm8 from Simtropolis in the unlikley event that you were wondering.)

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Maravone

What about my surprise when I found out that your CJ was no longer in Simtropolis!
Thankfully you have a blog!
I normally just use SC4D for downloading purposes, but guess I'm going to start popping up a LOT more here! ;D

Congrats on all the recognition and awards (OSITM) you just got!
Keep up the damn good work and keep on connecting those loose dots in the sea of connections that is Boston's transportation map!

DarthViper3k

Quote from: marsh on February 01, 2010, 04:14:32 PM
Congrats on the OSITM!
Just out of couriosity, why did you leave simtropolis?

When you think about it its rather easy... Makes a lot of sense to me at least.

Hes running his own company... thats time consuming as it is... playin SC4 enough to do a new journal entry each 2-3 days I think he said... and then hes posting it on 2 different forums and Simtropolis' CJ section... all very possibly using slightly different BB code for links and images making copy and paste more work than it should be.  And then to respond to all of his hundreds of fans he has to visit 3 different boards.

Personally I envy him... between programming, 2 kids.. I barely have enough time to make 1 journal entry a week.

Oh.. Congrats on the award their CSG... Your style of city building has created its own cult following.  So much so that as much as I used to want CitiesXL... not having all the custom content to do a NG city in the game might be a big deal breaker for me until its out there.

Then again thats just me.

marsh

darthviper: actaly i just saw... on CSG's blog he said that it was cause the moderators there were.... i'm guessing... a pain in the ass

mightygoose

Guys reasons for leaving are not for discussion in public, if you want to send CSGdesign a PM and ask him there thats cool, but the thread must stay on topic.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

CSGdesign

Holy.
I'm away for like 3 days doing blog stuff and I get BURIED in comments lol.
Wow.

Ok.  *Cracks knuckles*

Hello and a very, VERY warm welcome to all my new readers.
I really hope you've enjoyed any of the previous entries you may have browsed through, and I'll do my best to give you an entertaining read this month and with any luck some of you may even find it interesting enough to follow for awhile...

Just to let you all know, I have a blog site that is pretty intensive - has heaps of stuff, and will in a few days also have this journal in page-by-page form, my other journal, downloads, all sorts of bits and pieces, as well as behind-the-scenes stuff, teasers... just in case you need a bit of a fix or like to get a little more in depth with things or see it from a new angle.

You can read my blog completely anonymously, or you can register to comment and make suggestions or ask questions.  You'll find I am much more active there than here.
You can visit my blog here and you're very welcome!

Okay... now to meet everyone.

Quote from: Rady link=topic=9440.msg306070#msg306070
That's simply great. Every time I read you MD I see something new in the way of presenting a MD! You must spend some time on that!!
Haha awesome, I'm glad you like it.
Each entry generally takes me a couple of hours to produce.
Some of the really huge ones can take more.
In general I spend 4 hours per evening doing something related to these journals instead of television (what a waste).
It is either reading and writing replies, creating BATs, conceptualising a story, editing images, playing the game itself to grow the area or build new infrastructure, or creating a new entry.  The last week or so it's been setting up my blog properly - that will continue for another week or so until everything is fully published and up to date, and then it'll just be new entries and minor tweaks.

Quote from: canyonjumper link=topic=9440.msg306080#msg306080
Wow! Great update! You must spent a lot of time on those maps! And excellent blog!

-Jordan
These particular ones took about 35 mins to trace in vector, then another 15 or 20mins to render each image and upload the entry.  I hope you enjoy reading in my blog and post in it!  I have HEAPS of visitors and lurkers, and many people that have registered but haven't commented yet.

Quote from: rooker1 on February 01, 2010, 04:27:43 AM
An out standing MD.  &apls No wonder it is being moved to the OSITM spot light this month.

Congratulations on the move from mysel and The SC4D Staff!
Thankyou very much Robin. I keep meaning to ask you where I can get that SC4PIMX tool that I need to begin qualifying for LEX but it always seems to find it's way to the "forgot about" basket...

Quote from: mightygoose on February 01, 2010, 04:33:24 AM
congrastulations, now lets see if  we can't turn a few heads
Yay!  I'm so pleased we're both on OSITM at the same time.  Have fun!

Quote from: tooheys on February 01, 2010, 04:47:37 AM
Damn, knew we should have paid that bill  :D Well done CSGdesign, have a great month.
Thankyou tooheys. Hope you enjoy mah MD.

Quote from: canyonjumper on February 01, 2010, 04:52:11 AM
Congrats!
Spanks!

Quote from: metarvo on February 01, 2010, 06:18:28 AM
Congratulations on OSITM, CSGdesign!  :thumbsup:  The level of detail and planning in this MD is very good, and I'm ready to see what you have planned for this month.
Hey me too!  :shocked2:

Quote from: mrtnrln on February 01, 2010, 06:51:46 AM
It could've happen anytime that Natural Growth would get the OSITM. It's well deserved! Congratulations!
Thankyou so much.  You sound as though you've read through some of it already?  I don't remember seeing any comments by you?  Welcome and I hope you enjoy it.

Quote from: Faded Glory on February 01, 2010, 07:42:53 AM
Nice update (as usual). I like how you can see the overview; it gives it a sense of accomplishment. Also, thank god I have an SC4D account, or else I would sorely miss this CJ on Simtrop. Keep up the good work!  ;D
That's one of the reasons why I made that first timelapse - I'm working on a much more complex one at the moment that shows milestones as an overlay... it should be an interesting addition... especially once these highways are done. I'm glad you have a SC4D account too... but for everyone on ST that doesn't, I'll be publishing the journals in full, CJ style, on my blog.  Just figuring out all the nesting, popdown menus, page templates, etc, then BAM ppl will be able to read and lurk without ever having to register.  And if a reader wants to comment, all you need is a username, email address, and password.  Easy peasy.

Quote from: Jmouse on February 01, 2010, 08:26:04 AM
Congratulations, CSGdesign! I have a feeling I'm going to wish February had a few more days - it's going to be an exciting month in OSITM! :)

Later...

Joan
Haha well thankyou Jmouse - I hope I can live up to your expectations.
I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment to be honest.

Quote from: Battlecat on February 01, 2010, 08:46:06 AM
Congratulations on your OSITM!  Glad to see your excellent work here is being recognized!  I quite like the style of those maps, the region is exploding with highway construction now!
Yeah they're all being built simultaneously...
What's going to be REALLY interesting is the reactionary changes to the region as a result of these highways.  One of which is featured in my very next entry, in fact.  Well... the lead-up to it anyways.  These highways are really going to make for an interesting set of circumstances to Naturally Grow from.

Quote from: GaBoR on February 01, 2010, 09:05:23 AM
Nice regional overview!, canpt wait to see your new highway system!
Me too!   ;D

Quote from: Tomas Neto on February 01, 2010, 09:06:53 AM
Great update again, and congratulations on OSITM!!!  :thumbsup:
Thankyou very much Tomas!

Quote from: rhythmandjays on February 01, 2010, 09:25:14 AM
Excellent updates...a great, new presentation! It's no surprise that this MD would receive an OSITM honor. Congrats on the achievement!  &apls  &apls  &apls
Man every now and then I look back at my previous entries... I've been doing this so long I sometimes forget about just how many entries and images I've made.
It's easy to forget, when you've having this much fun.

Quote from: bat on February 01, 2010, 10:02:39 AM
Congrats for the OSITM-award! And looking forward to more updates... ;)
They's a-comin'... :-\

Quote from: naftixe on February 01, 2010, 11:26:02 AM
Wow, you have shocked me and the CJ/MD worlds :'(

Keep up the good work and I will try to keep up.  &apls

Feel free to PM me anytime. If you want I will give you my personal email to keep in touch ;D
Haha that was not my intent.
I look forward to your continuing to read and challenge me with great ideas and questions.
I'm very sorry to have buggered up your rating chart, but that was one of many bridges I had to burn.

Quote from: ecoba on February 01, 2010, 03:05:02 PM
Congragulations on OSITM! Natural Growth really is an amazing MD!

Ethan
I'm still amazed that it has drawn the attention it has since I published it.
It all started with me just trying to visually show why I thought working a city without grids and "planned perfection" was more fun for me, and its kind of taken on a life of its own.

Quote from: marsh on February 01, 2010, 04:14:32 PM
Congrats on the OSITM!
Just out of couriosity, why did you leave simtropolis?
Thankyou Marsh.  Here isn't the place to discuss that, but you're welcome to read what I have written in my blog, and can comment or ask questions there if you like.  I'd prefer to just keep it clean and move on to be honest - ST have a history of long drawn-out slagging matches and dramatic slur campaigns and I just have no interest in being part of one.

Quote from: jdenm8 on February 01, 2010, 10:26:52 PM
Nice highway update and congratulations on the award. Had to do a bit of searching to find this NG thread though.

(I am the same jdenm8 from Simtropolis in the unlikley event that you were wondering.)
Hi and welcome jdenm8!
Yes I'm sorry for the search - SC4Devotion have just given me the honor of highlighting my journal in their Of Special Interest This Month section.  There is a link to this journal from my blog, however, and it remains in place no matter how much they move my MD around?

Quote from: Maravone on February 02, 2010, 04:20:39 PM
What about my surprise when I found out that your CJ was no longer in Simtropolis!
Thankfully you have a blog!
I normally just use SC4D for downloading purposes, but guess I'm going to start popping up a LOT more here! ;D

Congrats on all the recognition and awards (OSITM) you just got!
Keep up the damn good work and keep on connecting those loose dots in the sea of connections that is Boston's transportation map!
Yeah I made the blog to tie all my stuff together... it gives readers a chance to know a bit more about me, and comment, question, and inspire me at another level if you guys feel inclined to.  It's doing surprisingly well - there's heaps of traffic and quite a few registered and unregistered lurkers - all VERY welcome.

Quote from: DarthViper3k on February 02, 2010, 08:04:16 PM
When you think about it its rather easy... Makes a lot of sense to me at least.

Hes running his own company... thats time consuming as it is... playin SC4 enough to do a new journal entry each 2-3 days I think he said... and then hes posting it on 2 different forums and Simtropolis' CJ section... all very possibly using slightly different BB code for links and images making copy and paste more work than it should be.  And then to respond to all of his hundreds of fans he has to visit 3 different boards.

Personally I envy him... between programming, 2 kids.. I barely have enough time to make 1 journal entry a week.

Oh.. Congrats on the award their CSG... Your style of city building has created its own cult following.  So much so that as much as I used to want CitiesXL... not having all the custom content to do a NG city in the game might be a big deal breaker for me until its out there.

Then again thats just me.
While I do have my own business, I mostly work in business hours only - a forced decision.
I generally update the journal every 2-3 days, and yes the code on ST is slightly different to everyone else but that's ok... no big deal... that was not a factor in my decision at all.
Most of my time doing this is during the evenings when most people would be watching that brain-sapping, time-eating idiot box the television.  The amount of time that is sucked out of your life by that thing is scary.  So I use that time to produce entries and respond to comments and such, and I find it far more entertaining than being advertised to in between mind-numbing nothing TV shows.  Did I mention I don't like TV?  No?  I don't like TV... okay you get it.  ;D
I have a toddler - quite the handful - I don't think people that don't have kids can quite understand just how time consuming they are.  But so worth it, aren't they?  Just the most amazing source of pleasure and joy and inspiration and rejuvenation.  Wouldn't trade her fer every gram of gold on the planet, and that's a fact.

I was a big avid wide-eyed excited fool for CitiesXL, and really wanted it badly.  Everyone said "no dont bother" and I poo-poo'd them and bought it.  I gave it a week... I mean I really blinded myself to the problems and just plowed through giving it every chance to prove itself, and in the end had to take it back... it was such a dissapointment I cannot express how over-marketed it is.  My opinion.

Quote from: marsh on February 02, 2010, 08:59:34 PM
darthviper: actaly i just saw... on CSG's blog he said that it was cause the moderators there were.... i'm guessing... a pain in the ass
Pretty much.  Now let's move on.

Quote from: mightygoose on February 03, 2010, 01:59:46 AM
Guys reasons for leaving are not for discussion in public, if you want to send CSGdesign a PM and ask him there thats cool, but the thread must stay on topic.
I agree.  Thankyou MightyGoose.

Ok well entry #71 is coming guys but I'm not big on teasers.  If you DO want a teaser, you can visit my blog, and feel free to comment there too if you like.
Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy my stories.

rooker1

Now that CSGdesign has replied there will be no more talk about where his MD is now and why.

Great stuff so far.  You and MG have piqued my curiousity. 
I can't wait to see what you two are up to.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Shadow Assassin

Whoa, a big lot of replies...

Anyway, I don't post often in the MDs section here at SC4D, instead preferring to work behind the scenes at the NAM team forums further up the page... anyway congratulations on your OSITM, and I'm looking forward to many more updates that will be coming about... it's a shame you had to leave ST, but this isn't the place nor time to discuss it anyway.

I've been reading through your blog, too - it's really grown since the last time I paid a quick visit a couple of days ago.

Can't wait to see your next update - your highways really are growing at a cracking pace!
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

deathtoall

Nice update CSG. I havent been checking in recently with your updates but that elevated interchnage from the previous update was briliant. Enjoying following your work again.