• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CSGdesign's NATURAL GROWTH

Started by CSGdesign, November 20, 2009, 12:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSGdesign

Quote from: rooker1 on February 03, 2010, 05:12:40 AM
Now that CSGdesign has replied there will be no more talk about where his MD is now and why.

Great stuff so far.  You and MG have piqued my curiousity. 
I can't wait to see what you two are up to.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Thankyou Robin. While I really do appreciate the support, let's just all move on - I'm here and happy and if you come across anyone that can't read it here for some reason please point them to my blog, which requires no log-in to view.

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on February 03, 2010, 06:52:05 AM
Whoa, a big lot of replies...

Anyway, I don't post often in the MDs section here at SC4D, instead preferring to work behind the scenes at the NAM team forums further up the page... anyway congratulations on your OSITM, and I'm looking forward to many more updates that will be coming about... it's a shame you had to leave ST, but this isn't the place nor time to discuss it anyway.

I've been reading through your blog, too - it's really grown since the last time I paid a quick visit a couple of days ago.

Can't wait to see your next update - your highways really are growing at a cracking pace!
Haha yeah what's with that??  Easilly the most replies I've had from one entry.
It's only because of the OSITM thing though I think.
It is a shame I had to leave, but I've had a steady and growing number of people register for my blog, and now that the journal is being published there I hope that will snow-ball.  So at the end of the day, no problem.  In fact it should be beneficial in many ways.
Ya the highways are growing fast - they've been being built for 2.5 game years now, and are on track to be finished at the end of the forth... fast paced I know but I want to get them done so I can deal with the interesting repercussions of having them and how it affects the Natural Growth process.  This following entry hints at one such repercussion.

Quote from: deathtoall on February 03, 2010, 05:59:37 PM
Nice update CSG. I havent been checking in recently with your updates but that elevated interchnage from the previous update was briliant. Enjoying following your work again.
DTA!  Glad yer here buddy.
Come and join me on my blog!  It's a lot bigger than you'd think and it's getting more juicy every time I add stuff... which is daily.

The SimNational Highway project has had an unexpected benefit for me.

I've enjoyed my yachting lifestyle in Kelly Bay, but the commute Spankton is long and during peak can be very crowded, and it's really having a major impact on my quality of life.

Well imagine my delight when I heard that Boston is building it's very first water-front living estate, just a little north and with easy access to the new highway (when it's done).  I contacted the number in the advert and two days later this brochure arrived, showing me the new estate, where it's located, pricing, the available releases... although they haven't specified the actual lots yet but it says that's only months away from approval and I can buy right off the plan.

The area being developed in a small bay north of here, I think it used to be called Mudgrove but they're renaming it to Skipper Bay.  Probably a good marketing decision.

The brochure's very nice - I really hope this is as good as it looks because with the third pay-rise I got recently I've got a lot of expendable cash and to be honest its quite a drag trying to figure out new things to spend it on.  A nice big house, a yacht, and my own mooring would be just delightful.

Decent prices, but that's always for some battle-axe block stuck in the middle of the main turn-off or something... we'll see what the average house and land package is worth.

I particularly like this one.  The Silbermann.  There are a lot of nice ones, but this one just says "I'm a pompous twat with too much money" and that's just exactly the message I'm going for.

All my friends at the country club are gonna be so jealous.

Want more?  Visit my blog.

deathtoall

I already have your new blog CSG. Im excited about the prospect of your canal estates. I cant wait to see you finish them. Then on to greater things heh?

ecoba

Hehe, a watefront estate, eh?

Well I guess there has to be one in every city, and starting from only 258000? Wow! In Boston it seems it would be something along the lines of 700K.

I also noticed that you used New Zealand dialing on the brochure, the number should have 10 digits.  :thumbsup:

But, all in all I like the work that's coming from you, it really shows excellence!

Ethan

mightygoose

be careful you may start recieving phone enquiries, legitimate ones. that is some superb work.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

canyonjumper

I want one of those :D! Great work!

-Jordan
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Battlecat

Thats a very professional looking brochure!  Looks a lot nicer than the ones that get included with development applications here at work.

Shadow Assassin

Oh, totally. I'm so jealous about that lovely house.

Euro tileset, right?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

DarthViper3k

Awesome 3d work there CSG love how it looks. Though if you're using USD there I would suggest raising that price. My parents owned a home that was no bigger than 3bed 2 bath for $300k. If you're wanting rich scale water front homes I would say that number would realistically be closer to 800k

CSGdesign

Quote from: deathtoall on February 04, 2010, 04:19:24 AM
I already have your new blog CSG. Im excited about the prospect of your canal estates. I cant wait to see you finish them. Then on to greater things heh?
Yeah I'm looking forward to them as well - I think it will work out really well from what I've seen from my tests.

Quote from: ecoba on February 04, 2010, 04:32:46 AM
Hehe, a watefront estate, eh?

Well I guess there has to be one in every city, and starting from only 258000? Wow! In Boston it seems it would be something along the lines of 700K.

I also noticed that you used New Zealand dialing on the brochure, the number should have 10 digits.  :thumbsup:

But, all in all I like the work that's coming from you, it really shows excellence!

Ethan
You must remember the year the game is set in at the moment.  1991.  Houses that are now $700k were $220k and less, back then, depending on the suburbs.  In Brisbane at least.  It's only a fictional figure really, very vaguely associated with reality more for a reader to associate with than for realism.
Same with the phone number - purely random fictional number (so some poor sucker doesn't get calls in the real world and wonder what its all about).

Quote from: mightygoose on February 04, 2010, 06:09:33 AM
be careful you may start recieving phone enquiries, legitimate ones. that is some superb work.
Haha I made the phone number totally bogus so that won't happen.  :P

Quote from: canyonjumper on February 04, 2010, 08:12:40 AM
I want one of those :D! Great work!

-Jordan
Me2!!  Stupid cheap Boston tradie workmanship probably has no internal faces and there's probably vertexes missing from all the corners.  Get a good builder, or all your splines will slide to one end of the room.

Quote from: Battlecat on February 04, 2010, 08:15:26 AM
Thats a very professional looking brochure!  Looks a lot nicer than the ones that get included with development applications here at work.
Thx Battlecat.  I've personally never seen one this dimension (they're always A4) but I was originally going to make that front cover as an advert in a magazine and then I converted it to a brochure and altered the story halfway through doing it.

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on February 04, 2010, 08:52:11 AM
Oh, totally. I'm so jealous about that lovely house.

Euro tileset, right?
Correct as always, you know your game.

Quote from: DarthViper3k on February 04, 2010, 10:17:11 AM
Awesome 3d work there CSG love how it looks. Though if you're using USD there I would suggest raising that price. My parents owned a home that was no bigger than 3bed 2 bath for $300k. If you're wanting rich scale water front homes I would say that number would realistically be closer to 800k
For 2010 or even back to 2003 I'd agree with you.  But this is set in 1991 still, and prices were very, very different back before the 2003/2005 boom. If you do a quick search on any water-front estate in Brisbane at least, such as Pelican Waters or Raby Bay you'll see that this price is reasonably accurate for the bottom-end of the scale at that time (which is what I was going for - the "starting from" price).  It's only meant as a vaguely relate-able figure... I could make Bostonian Sims trade shells and corncobs, but I want it to be a bit more able to be related to than that.

Faded Glory

I LOLed at the asterisk. "House and Land packages may not actually exist. Please don't read any more of the fine print before purchasing."
If anybody noticed I bet the developers would be something like  :-[ . Keep adding in the detail; it makes it refreshing! As always, nice update, and the highway's really coming along!

jdenm8

Great work with the brocheure. I especially love your 3dsMax(That's what you're using for the 3D models I think you said in your blog)/Photoshop work. It makes it look much more realistic.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Ditro

Nice to see a new subdivision develop; ought to be interesting.  I guess I'll follow your MD here from now on.

-Ditro (from ST)

nedalezz

Waterfront living, eh? Cant wait to see what that looks like. So Im curious as to what some of the biggest companies/employers are in Boston.

CSGdesign

Quote from: Faded Glory on February 04, 2010, 03:38:25 PM
I LOLed at the asterisk. "House and Land packages may not actually exist. Please don't read any more of the fine print before purchasing."
If anybody noticed I bet the developers would be something like  :-[ . Keep adding in the detail; it makes it refreshing! As always, nice update, and the highway's really coming along!
Haha you liked that.
Every now and then I'll chuck some little easter-egg like that in - I find it interesting to see who gets it and who misses it.

Quote from: jdenm8 on February 04, 2010, 03:42:09 PM
Great work with the brocheure. I especially love your 3dsMax(That's what you're using for the 3D models I think you said in your blog)/Photoshop work. It makes it look much more realistic.
Ya 3dsmax. The whole point of this journal (for me) is to recreationally exercise my set of tools, which includes 3dsmax, photoshop, illustrator, premiere, and a few others.
Glad you like - cuz I enjoy doin the 3d work - I've got some pretty big plans fer it in the future.

Quote from: Ditro on February 04, 2010, 05:43:00 PM
Nice to see a new subdivision develop; ought to be interesting.  I guess I'll follow your MD here from now on.

-Ditro (from ST)
You can follow it on my blog too if you like, as you know.  Anyway, I'm glad yer here and that I didn't shed all my readers in the move.

Quote from: nedalezz on February 05, 2010, 02:44:20 AM
Waterfront living, eh? Cant wait to see what that looks like. So Im curious as to what some of the biggest companies/employers are in Boston.
Much of it is featured in previous entries.  The single biggest business in town is Grimey Industries.  They control much of the industry, including every mining operation in town.  At the moment that has only manifested itself in Tunnings Quarry and the White Sands Inlet Silica Mine but there are many others being planned for development, with rights paid for decades in advance.

Skipper Bay was a direct result of the SimNational Highways Project bringing the region together, making travel time shorter, and in essence making Boston smaller.  This meant that a drive from the CBD to what used to be a remote area was now a short and easy drive down the highway, which really opened up a world of opportunities for developers.

The first of these opportunities to be really noticeably taken advantage of, was Skipper Bay... Boston's first canal water-front living estate.

Built on an area previously dominated by farmland, Skipper Bay was to completely transform these flats into a thriving high-wealth retreat.

In turn this would prove a boon for the local community as far as commerce and probably industry was concerned, so approval for the project was short-tracked, and marketing material was distributed in accordance with the release plan.  The entire project would be released in two releases, the first being the mouth of the canal network, "Skipper Island" commercial district, and the southern-most section of canals.  The second release would come some years later, and involve a second hill-top commercial district and the northern-most canal networks.  The entire project would cover an area almost 6 square kilometers.

The first release was approximately half this, and would be available to build on just as the highway itself to the area was due for completion.

Step 1, as always, is the resumption of properties.  Since most of these were farms, this was a reasonably inexpensive process for the developers.

The only thing left undemolished at the end of this phase was the road itself, as it was the only coastal means of travel north and south, without a VERY long detour a few kilometers to the west.

This was important, and was one of the conditions imposed by council.  The new road must be fully in place before this old one can be demolished.  This posed a few challenges for the developer, but none that money and good engineers and urban planners couldn't get over.

Want more?  Visit my blog.

jdenm8

Nide to read about the development of Skipper Bay. I have a feeling that this is going to be more of an excersise in teaching us how to use your canals. What I generally do (as I am too lazy to pause the game nowadays) and what I think they do in real life is build a road that (eventually) encompasses the entire stage of the estate. When the estate is expanded, just demolish the perimeter road as roads through the estate would already be taking the load.

(on a different note, I had a problem with your fences that you had on Simtropolis before you left. I tried PMing you here but it didn't seem to work.)

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Battlecat

Looking good!  I'm looking forward to seeing how this all comes together, particularly with those canals you're working on!

bat

Great work on your two new updates! :thumbsup:

nedalezz

That looks like prime real estate there, especially by the bay. Also looks like a fantastic location for a golf course, actually!

Great update.

canyonjumper

Great stuff! Interesting to see what this will turn out like!

-Jordan
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Tomas Neto

Great updates, very nice work!!!