• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CSGdesign's NATURAL GROWTH

Started by CSGdesign, November 20, 2009, 12:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSGdesign

Quote from: soulchaser on February 14, 2010, 10:25:40 PM
I's suggest a mixture of 1 and 2. some real park on the outside, more (cleaned up) nature on the inside.

Great update as allways, by the way!
That ties in nicely with a suggestion MightGoose made, where the park actually spreads out into suburbia to create green corridors to help fight off pollution and other impacts from suburbia (like predatory pets).

Quote from: dedgren on February 14, 2010, 11:59:45 PM
I am seriously impressed.

...note to self: get out more, missing too much great stuff...

David

Thanks David  ;D

Quote from: scott1964 on February 15, 2010, 08:19:24 AM
Nice nature pictures to go along with the growing problem.  :)
Cool glad you like - non-sc4 pictures add atmosphere and perspective to the story I think.

Quote from: Battlecat on February 15, 2010, 08:36:55 AM
Beautiful photos!  Nice to see a big block of forest preserved like that! 

I've never been entirely sure about those game notifications.  I've gotten them in some circumstances where it really doesn't make sense.  At least they make sense for your region!
It's not that big of a block really, it's about 800 meters by 1500 meters I think - roughly a square kilometer.  Nice as a park, but pretty much useless as a preserved State Forest.

Quote from: bat on February 15, 2010, 10:41:53 AM
The pictures are really nice! Looking forward to more... ;)
Cool Bat, lots more comin.

Quote from: Maravone on February 15, 2010, 12:15:38 PM
I know a lot of people already supported proposal 3 for the forest, but I just want to give it yet more support by me! Turn that place into a Large Botanical Park now! It will be lovely.  :thumbsup:

btw, can someone tell me why the hell do I find Llamas heads stupid yet extremely comical?
I tend to agree, but with the Botanical Gardens keeping a large area as natural as possible, and sort of cleaning it up, making it weed free, but adding a parks and recreation aspect to it instead of a non-interference State Government aspect to it.  I think it would be nice to have paths and picnic areas winding their way through natural forest, with gazebos here and restaurants there...

Yeah Llamas are funny.

Quote from: marsh on February 15, 2010, 01:44:47 PM
Maravone: This is why
Haha I lol'd.

Quote from: canyonjumper on February 15, 2010, 05:36:59 PM
Great pics, CSG!

-Jordan :thumbsup:
Ha cool.  More comin yer way right.... .... .. NOW.

Hello.
I am Samantha.
I am four and a half years old.
I like blue and chickens and my favorite chicken is Betsy because she is round.
This is where I live.  My town is called Whatstha.  It is very pretty.

Come on I'll show you!
This is Whatstha Point.
I live here but my Mummy doesn't.

Daddy also likes chickens but he says his favorite chicken is Korma.
I dont know where Korma is but he says he loves Korma and her best friend puppy dumb.
I think that's a mean name but daddy says he loves puppy dumb a lot.

This is where Daddy works.
He says hay is heavy but I have seen hay and its very light. I think Daddy is silly but he's funny.

This is Uncle Jeff's farm.  He makes the best scrambled eggs ever.
This is where Betsy lives.  Daddy says Korma comes from here too but Uncle Jeff just laughs when I ask where Korma is. His eyes wrinkle when he laughs.

On the far edge of town is a farm that Daddy doesn't like me going to... he says Mr. Plebbit is mean.  I've never met Mr. Plebbit but Daddy says he's mean.

Sometimes Daddy and me go to the next town... Merry Vill... um... Meril ... I can't say it but Daddy can.
We take our truck and also our lawn mower to this place to be fixed sometimes if it breaks and Daddy can't fix it himself.
Normally Daddy fixes it but sometimes it breaks too much and he needs someone else to fix it.

It's not far to the next town which I can't say properly but it takes us awhile because Daddy drives slowly.
He says he likes the air and to take his time.  He always smiles when we drive so I smile too.

One day Daddy says he will take me to see the big city.  Daddy came from the big city you know? Before I was born. Daddy doesn't smile when he talks about the big city but he promised to take me when I'm bigger.  I want to go but I can't take Betsy.

Want more?  Visit my blog.

Faded Glory

Ohh another poll! I love these!  ;D I vote for a mixture of 1 and 3; zone a protected forest out of the way, and convert the existing zone into a central park. It would make sense when development finally makes its way south from the main city itself. Keep up the amazing work! (See what I did there? New adjective  :o )

Nanami

jdenm8

That is the kind of girl I would expect to see on some foreign Orange juice commercial.
Nice way to introduce some new towns.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Tomas Neto

canyonjumper

Great update, CSG! Whatstha Pt. is an interesting name ;D!

I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

CSGdesign

Quote from: Faded Glory on February 15, 2010, 06:33:59 PM
Ohh another poll! I love these!  ;D I vote for a mixture of 1 and 3; zone a protected forest out of the way, and convert the existing zone into a central park. It would make sense when development finally makes its way south from the main city itself. Keep up the amazing work! (See what I did there? New adjective  :o )
Haha you posted this only a few minutes after I posted my last entry - you must have been reading as I was writing.
I agree with your suggestion - we really need a new State Forest, there is no question of that... regardless of what is done with the existing Franklin Park (it's been renamed as the jurisdiction has now been handed over by the SimNational Government to Boston City Council).  It has become Boston's sole responsibility to develop this site in any way Boston City Council sees fit.  With such high profile public awareness of the site, it will need to serve a conservational as well as a recreational value, so as to carefully balance the cost of maintaining and reforming it with the heritage and conservation value that has been its sole reason for existing for almost 100 years now... something that can't just be abandoned overnight.  It's an interesting problem to solve.

Quote from: 976 on February 15, 2010, 07:16:36 PM
Sweet!
Haha.

Quote from: jdenm8 on February 15, 2010, 11:25:58 PM
That is the kind of girl I would expect to see on some foreign Orange juice commercial.
Nice way to introduce some new towns.
Well that's because in 1992 (only a few short months after writing this entry) she got a contract with Daily Juice Company... you've probably seen her on TV.
Turns out Samantha's got a flare for show biz.

Quote from: Tomas Neto on February 16, 2010, 10:12:02 AM
Nice update, again!!!  :thumbsup:
Thanks Tomas!

Quote from: canyonjumper on February 16, 2010, 03:48:11 PM
Great update, CSG! Whatstha Pt. is an interesting name ;D!

Haha yer the only person that seems to have noticed that.   ;D
The easter egg behind the tractor repair place's name, and the Chicken Korma ones seem to have been missed tho... many are but that's kind of the point of them.  Hidden little details that some find and some don't... makes writing it more fun to bung a few in.

jdenm8

She actually reminded me of some orange juice ads that seemed to dominate the advertising space on JR's trains when I was in Japan last. It had a young (western - possibly french) boy playing with floating bubbles of (rather opaque) orange juice.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

deathtoall

Quote from: CSGdesign on February 16, 2010, 07:46:33 PM
Haha yer the only person that seems to have noticed that.   ;D
The easter egg behind the tractor repair place's name, and the Chicken Korma ones seem to have been missed tho... many are but that's kind of the point of them.  Hidden little details that some find and some don't... makes writing it more fun to bung a few in.

Not everyone misses the little "easter eggs" CSG. Rather, they are taken, smirked at, and left alone :P Nice update on one of the outlying areas of Boston.

CSGdesign

Quote from: jdenm8 on February 16, 2010, 08:34:28 PM
She actually reminded me of some orange juice ads that seemed to dominate the advertising space on JR's trains when I was in Japan last. It had a young (western - possibly french) boy playing with floating bubbles of (rather opaque) orange juice.
I haven't seen it.  Just struck me as a good pic to show an innocent country girl to put a face behind the narration.   :)

Quote from: deathtoall on February 17, 2010, 01:07:06 AM

Not everyone misses the little "easter eggs" CSG. Rather, they are taken, smirked at, and left alone :P Nice update on one of the outlying areas of Boston.

I know there are many that don't miss em... you, Benedict and ShadowAssassin in particular are very good at spotting them.
Putting something not-so-obvious behind the story adds another depth that makes a story more interesting to write, and hopefully to read too.

Battlecat

That was a very entertaining update!

deathtoall

Quote from: CSGdesign on February 17, 2010, 02:10:53 AM

I know there are many that don't miss em... you, Benedict and ShadowAssassin in particular are very good at spotting them.
Putting something not-so-obvious behind the story adds another depth that makes a story more interesting to write, and hopefully to read too.

Flattery will only get you so far CSG  :D But they do contribute quite an amount to the story and make for an interesting read.

rooker1

Interesting month so far....funny updates.

Please include your replies with your updates as movement through the MD sections is based on post count.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

CSGdesign

Quote from: Battlecat on February 17, 2010, 09:00:06 AM
That was a very entertaining update!
Thanks Battlecat!  :)  Hope you like this one.

Quote from: deathtoall on February 18, 2010, 10:48:28 PM

Flattery will only get you so far CSG  :D But they do contribute quite an amount to the story and make for an interesting read.
Flattery gets you anywhere you wanna go.   ;D

Quote from: rooker1 on February 19, 2010, 04:43:46 AM
Interesting month so far....funny updates.

Please include your replies with your updates as movement through the MD sections is based on post count.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Oh my bad - I thought you could write reply messages or entries on a daily basis... I'll limit replies to entries only from now on then.
This next entry isn't as funny as others you've read.  A bit more sober.

Boston had grown very fast in the last few years, and in fact the last two years alone had seen Boston's population grow by the same amount that it had grown between the years of 1925 and 1965 - by over 140,000 sims.

These sims traveled - by car, train, boat, and of course by plane.  In recent years especially, aircraft traffic had become a more and more affordable and popular means of travel, and had made the entire SimGlobe a very small place.

But Boston's aging airports were becoming more and more burdened by increasing traffic, despite leaps in equipment and training.
Flight 86H, tragically, was simply a matter of time.

Flight 86H - a routine flight from Boston v2 to Washingsim, stopping off at Everglades en-route.

But on this one routine trip, something went terribly wrong.

Shortly after take-off, Flight 86H radioed Control with the following message:

"Control, we have a fire in Engine One.  We are declaring an emergency - request immediate clearance to land. Over."

Control of course provided immediate clearance, however a few seconds later the following and final transmission was received from Flight 86H.

"Control, we have lost all control of elevators, we are in a steady descent bearing 311. Altitude 3000 feet and falling. We are unable to pull up.  Mayday Mayday."

The eery automated beeping and the artificial voice of the cockpit controls could be heard in the background of the transmission repeating "Pull - Up. Pull - Up."

Shortly afterwards all communication with Flight 86H was lost.

Two other flights in the region saw Flight 86H decend and strike the forests of the Ilium Range on Boston's distant south-west, about 7 kilometers south of Carver Hills.  They radioed the location to Control, and reported that a fire and smoke could be seen in the area.

Recognising the need to stem a forest fire that could easily take over the area and kill any survivors as well as potentially threaten Boston itself, a remote Fire Fighting crew was dispatched from the Airborne Fire Brigade in Boston East Central.  It was not hard to locate the site of the crash - an alarming thick black smoke surged from the area.

The fire was a massive scar on the forest, with greasy dark smoke billowing angrily into the sky so thick that it cast a shadow on the forest for kilometers.

Controlling the blaze took two days, during which time any search and rescue was completely impossible not only because of the noxious black smoke but the danger of further air-crashes due to the semi-controlled nature of the aircraft in the sky over the area.

The fire left little hope for survivors, and dealing with the fire was first priority both for the city, and for any survivors that may have evacuated the area into the neighboring forest.

The public outrage, shock, and fear during this time was electric.

Shock, followed by anger and immense sadness had officials and the SimNational Flight Safety Regulation (SFSR) squirming and struggling to find answers that ensured this disaster didn't land in their lap, so to speak.

When the fires were out, the true horror of the scene was laid bare for the entire nation to see.

Flight 86H was utterly destroyed, with a huge ruinous trench having been smashed into the Ilium range by the fallen aircraft.  There was no hope for survivors.

While SimNation mourned, the SimNational Airforce dispatched three heavy air-lifts to assess the possibility of survivors and to set ground-crews at the site to begin documenting the crash.

As expected, no survivors were located, and the state of the wreckage indicated that there was essentially zero chance anyone could have made it out alive.

As soon as was practical the area was searched and each piece of the wreckage was carefully documented and relocated to a federal crash investigation hangar, where the cause of the crash was to be determined.  The blackbox was recovered without incident and verified much of what was already known.

The SFSR had some serious heat from the press, but for the moment there was no specific word on what had caused this horrific disaster - the worst aviation disaster in SimNational History.

284 souls had perished in the Flight 86H Tragedy.
Someone was going to be responsible.

Want more?  Visit my blog.

warconstruct

Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

nedalezz

Tradegy indeed :(

It kind of hits a soft spot because although I live in Africa (Ghana), I am a Lebanese national, and I was in Lebanon when the Ethiopian Airlines crashed into the sea last month. In fact, my home just to the south of Beirut is situated on a hill and overlooks the sea and the area where the plane crashed, and there were a few people whom were acquiantances on the plane. So yeah, :(

Faded Glory

Nice update, though very somber indeed. I love how you can manage to take both the good and the bad from your region and turn it into well-written stories. Also, that bottom picture looks a lot like an older version of Sarah Palin. Lol

Tomas Neto

Very realistic the fire on the forest!!! Fantastic update!!!  :thumbsup:

Battlecat

Quite the sobering update today, although it's very well done.  You've done an excellent job with the images here. 

canyonjumper

What a tragedy. Great pictures though.

I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.