• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CSGdesign's NATURAL GROWTH

Started by CSGdesign, November 20, 2009, 12:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSGdesign

Quote from: Stray Cat on March 02, 2010, 02:31:56 PM
Simply awesome updates CSGDesign!  I love the detail of the story. I know nothing about logging and the logging business but I could very much believe that you are describing a real operation and the resulting difficulties there.  And the screenshots are awesome as well!  Great work!

Thank you.

Cheers!

Scott
Well I'm very glad you're enjoying them!

Quote from: Battlecat on March 02, 2010, 03:21:45 PM
Ahhh, that was fanastic!  Very well done by Boston City Council.  Only problem there is it's a lot easier to get a law onto the books than it is to get it back out again! 
That is true... generally.
Turns out the laws being passed had not reached their final stages and were "amended" shortly after the new contracts were drafted... a side story not worth including in the journal.  These vehicles are still limited when and how they can travel, but it's far less expensive and restricted now.

Quote from: Faded Glory on March 02, 2010, 03:23:22 PM
Haha, City Council is doing what they do best; revenge. Take that, Colorado Lumber! On a side note, this law would definatly help in the future to reduce congestion.  :thumbsup:  Second side note; will Skipper Bay recieve an update before you finish your canals, or afterwards?
It will help a little, but most congestion is due to heavy peak traffic, not large lumbering logging machines.  The machines can only travel on main roads at night now, which helps a lot.
Re: Skipper Bay - yep - read on.  :)

Quote from: scott1964 on March 02, 2010, 04:07:47 PM
Nice deforestation  $%Grinno$% Where did you get the props? Your areas look very good.  :)
Those are Pegasus Ploppable Logging Scenes. Very useful for this type of update.
I'm happy you like my area!  :)

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on March 03, 2010, 03:11:19 AM
Heheh, this is when council does something right for once.

I bet the people of Kelly Bay are happy about this (especially considering how they almost got screwed over by the SimNational highway project) as it means that the land left behind can actually be cleaned up and sold off to developers for a nice price which then can be reinvested back into the region.

The question is, though: parklands or housing developments? I'm sure most people wouldn't really want to live near a highway though...

Just seen Entry 81 as well - I'm interested in seeing how that pans out for the southern part of the region in future updates beyond that one.
Well hi!
I haven't heard from you in ages!
I spose the main time I spoke to you was in ST chat rather than in the journal, so there's prolly no difference in that regard.
There's a lot of housing going into the region, but you're right building right next to the highway (at least without some sort of sound-barrier) is not a good idea... people hate highway noise.
It will almost certainly be development rather than parklands, but at this point I have no idea what... I never do until the last second.  Most likely suburbia, but it will need some kind of anti-highwaying... maybe a raised and planted out embankment topped by some sound walls...  Developers haven't made any plans yet.

Ya Skipper Bay will be an interesting development - I don't think this has been done before in a journal so I'm trying to do a thorough job of it...

Construction had been going on in the new Skipper Bay canal estate for some months now, and good headway was being made.

After the site had been carefully surveyed and marked, the canals were grading gradually down towards sea-level.  Even at this early stage it was clear how the layout of the canal estate would go.

This was the heart of the Skipper Bay Canal Estate, Skipper Island.  It lay between what would be the two entrances to the canal estate.

This was to be one of two commercial districts being built in the canal estate.  Skipper Island would host the new Skipper Bay Marina, as well as various upmarket and somewhat nautical themed commercial ventures.

Skipper Island was to be intersected by a main road, which would cross the two canal entrances by flat unassuming bridges.  These bridges were carefully designed to allow ferries and small masted vessels passage.  The northern bridge has not yet been built.

Most of the canal structure lay further north, up the main chanel which was still being constructed.

Much of this estate would be built after the initial release of Skipper Bay, which would include Skipper Island and pretty much all the area shown in this picture.  The second and larger inland commercial district would be built on a natural hill that had been made higher by the fill cut from the canals themselves.  This would result in a spectacular local raised commercial district - Boston's first artificial hill - which would overlook the entire canal estate and out across the bay.  This district would be finished alongside the second release, which would include the canals further up the chanel to the north, wrapping slightly around the new commercial district hill.

It was a grand and spectacular development - Boston's largest development undertaking to date - and was sure to bring a lot of wealth and growth to the city.

And it was all thanks to the SimNational Highway Project.

Which, by the way, was drawing towards completion...

Want more? Visit my blog.

limeyfox

That canal estate is going to look fantastic, great imaginative development!

What density will the development be, and what public transportation networks will be provided?

nedalezz

Ohhh, canals :) This should be really interesting. Im also curious to see what type of developments there will be next to the canals.

Battlecat

This really gives a good view of how large the canal system is going to be!  The walls are looking great!

metarvo

It's interesting to see how the city council is dealing with realistic city planning scenarios.  Keep up the good work, CSG!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

canyonjumper

This is looking great! I can't wait to see how it looks when it's finished ;D

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

mightygoose

excellent work with the canal.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

M.M.Malwin

Superb! I really like this presentation pre-project! it's very original!  :thumbsup:  ;)

Faded Glory

Quite nice. I like seeing your stuff in action, as it looks very much at home here. There is one thing I'm confused about, however. Is the main chanel in the north different (in functionallity/appearances) than the canals? I like to visualize your well-drawn plans, and that is the only grey spot.  :D Anyways, great stuff.
~Faded Glory

CSGdesign

Quote from: limeyfox on March 03, 2010, 04:34:25 AM
That canal estate is going to look fantastic, great imaginative development!

What density will the development be, and what public transportation networks will be provided?
Most of this estate will be medium and high wealth.  Therefore most public transport will be wasted.  The commercial districts and most of the main intersections in the canal estate will have bus-stops (like any other suburb). No rail lines or subways stretch to this area, although it does lie in between the two currently existing rail lines so it is only a matter of time until they connect and run past this area.

Quote from: nedalezz on March 03, 2010, 05:47:58 AM
Ohhh, canals :) This should be really interesting. Im also curious to see what type of developments there will be next to the canals.

Mostly high-wealth suburbia at this point in time... not sure about the future when things get higher-density.

Quote from: Battlecat on March 03, 2010, 08:47:10 AM
This really gives a good view of how large the canal system is going to be!  The walls are looking great!
Thanks Battlecat.  This canal estate will be larger than a small city tile in total area.

Quote from: metarvo on March 03, 2010, 09:04:06 AM
It's interesting to see how the city council is dealing with realistic city planning scenarios.  Keep up the good work, CSG!  :thumbsup:
Cheers metarvo! I have quite a few surprises up my sleeve yet.

Quote from: canyonjumper on March 03, 2010, 04:20:08 PM
This is looking great! I can't wait to see how it looks when it's finished ;D

Thanks Jordan. I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out too.

Quote from: mightygoose on March 03, 2010, 05:30:41 PM
excellent work with the canal.
Thanks Goose!

Quote from: M.M.Malwin on March 04, 2010, 05:35:17 AM
Superb! I really like this presentation pre-project! it's very original!  :thumbsup:  ;)
Thankyou M.M.Malwin... I'm not sure I've seen non-plop-water canals done before... so it'll be interesting to see how they turn out.

Quote from: Faded Glory on March 04, 2010, 04:41:20 PM
Quite nice. I like seeing your stuff in action, as it looks very much at home here. There is one thing I'm confused about, however. Is the main chanel in the north different (in functionallity/appearances) than the canals? I like to visualize your well-drawn plans, and that is the only grey spot.  :D Anyways, great stuff.
~Faded Glory
Yeah the main chanel is just that - a thoroughfare for incoming and outgoing boats... a bit like a road compared to a street.
The canals will have lots of jetties and moored boats, while the main chanel is slightly wider and will have fewer of these jetties, and probably a couple of ferry pontoons.
It will be more obviously different when it's completed... for now all of the chanels look the same.

James Sunderson, originally born in Margoree, studied in Belgriffe City, and then moved to Cove Ville (the home town of his wealthy Aunt Hadley) at the age of 24.

In Cove Ville James opened a used car lot and shortly afterwards married a beautiful young woman, Nancy Cartwright.  Nancy and James had two children, Sarah and Trevor, and both showed great promise in their studies and social skills.

This all changed when in July of 1941 Cove Ville was all but leveled in the terrible earthquake that rocked most of the nation of Palu.  Ten thousand people perished in the disaster, with James' wife, two children and aunt all being counted among them.  The story of this event is covered in DarthViper3k's journal "Palu State - Natural Growth".

Sunderson was destroyed emotionally by this terrible event, and it completely changed his life.  In one of life's little ironies the event also made James extremely wealthy through inheritance and insurance passed on from his lost family.

His world completely taken away from him, but at the same time made incredibly wealthy, Sunderson moved to a small cozy town called Cradle Bay, on the northern edge of a young Boston v2.

When the Palu Earthquake of 1941 destroyed Sunderson's home and family, it left James with a growing respect for the power and majesty of nature, and his own insignificance compared to it.  Sunderson commented once that it was during this time that he had an epiphany about his place on the earth and purpose in life.

So it was that in the summer of 1944 James Sunderson founded what came to be known as the Wilderness Warriors - an environmental group that would defend the voiceless plants and animals of mankind's environment from the onslaught of an uncaring, all-conquering humanity.

The Wilderness Warriors grew to be a mighty force, tackling governments, businesses, corporations, developers, anyone and anything that would take and destroy without thought of consequence.

By 1990 the Wilderness Warriors were self-funded through a range of programs such as environmental education, environmentally friendly tours, eco-resorts, and a host of investments.  By this stage Sunderson was more of a figurehead than a decision maker in the Wilderness Warriors, but the entire group (right down the guys packing seeds into palettes to germinate for next year's planting season) looked to James Sunderson for passion, enthusiasm, and a love for all things wild.

It was therefore a very sad loss when James Sunderson passed away one night in his bed from a stroke, although many remarked that going to sleep at the end of such an eventful life and never waking up was a damn fine way to go.

James Sunderson's personal estate included only his home on the southern shores of Vieseldorfe Point.

For around three years prior to Sunderson's passing the Wilderness Warriors had been engaged in discussions with state government about an area of forest being gradually dissected and developed to Boston's north.  The discussions and negotiations were such that this area - being home to some of the most unique ecosystems in SimNation - should be declared a national park and preserved for future generations.

With the great weight of respect granted to the Wilderness Warriors by governments and sims all around SimNation, these negotiations had proceeded reasonably well - due in no small part to the organisation, research, and passion of the Wilderness Warriors which in turn was due in no small part to the efforts and funding of James Sunderson.

It was therefore very well received when the SimNational State Government granted protected National Park status to the area (without reservation) that had been negotiated by the Wilderness Warriors, and named it the Sunderson National Park, in James Sunderson's honour.

Rest in Peace James.  You earned it.

jdenm8

Much bigger than Franklin! All looking good.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Battlecat

What an excellent legacy for someone who's lived such a busy life!  That's a great spot for a national park! 

CSGdesign

Quote from: jdenm8 on March 05, 2010, 05:31:06 AM
Much bigger than Franklin! All looking good.
This is one of a few National Parks being discussed for the region.
Another much larger one includes the area that Flight 86H came down into... again motivated by reverence for the dead.

Quote from: Battlecat on March 05, 2010, 12:56:44 PM
What an excellent legacy for someone who's lived such a busy life!  That's a great spot for a national park! 
It's getting tough to find places in Boston v2 for National Parks - I honestly NEVER thought I'd say this... but I'm running out of room in this region.  :o

Colorado Lumber had completed the logging of the two contract sites between the new highway and Kelly Bay suburbia.

It was, therefore, time to move on.

Now, while Boston City Council had significantly relaxed its laws in regards to moving the Tigercats between sites, it had not abolished them altogether.  A movement plan was still required, a pilot vehicle was still required, and traveling in the early hours of the morning was still required to minimise impact on traffic and risk of accidents.  The Tigercats were allowed to travel under their own power, without the requirement of a semi-trailer, which greatly reduced costs.

6 of the 7 Tigercats working on Contract Site #0801a would be relocated to the new site across the highway, #0802b.  The other Tigercat from #0801a and the 5 Tigercats from #0801b would be moved south, across the highway, to the site next to Tunnings Town - #0802a.

The movement plan for the northern site was simple - keep to the backstreets until the highway, then travel north up the highway, past the incinerator power plant, through the town of Daedalis, and to the northen edge of the site.  Logging machinery would then work the site from the north to the south.

Colorado upheld their end of the bargain (it was afterall now written into the redrafted contracts), and plowed all stumps out of the ground, piled them, and burnt them, leaving behind a reasonable clean cleared earth.  The neighborhood kids loved it, and dirt-bike sales had a spike.

So that made two sites cleared and in the process of being cleaned up.  But Colorado had many more lined up.

The other site being cleared was of course the Tunnings Town site, #0802a.  It would also be logged from the north towards the south.

The landscape around Kelly Bay had changed drastically these last three years.  The SimNational Highway that sliced so cleanly through the forest to Kelly Bay's south had brought with it destruction for huge swathes of forest on either side of it.  Such is the price of development.

Tomas Neto

Another great update my friend!!!  :thumbsup:

Shadow Assassin

Hmm, I wonder if the highway will get duplicated to the other side of the Tunnings Town logging site...

It'll be interesting to see what you finally decide to do with all that cleared land... and it's also good that the south of the region is having some attention paid to it with the last few updates. I wonder if we'll see more of Orthanc and Broadbeach (it is Broadbeach in the south-east isn't it?)

I should comment more often, but I do lurk. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

nedalezz

Great update! So what of the area cleared by the logging company, what is the plan for it?

canyonjumper

Great update! I'm curious to know what you're going to do with the empty spaces. Probably develop them, I'm guessing?

I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Faded Glory

Very nice pair of updates. As the development reaches towards the highway, will we be seeing some higher density buildings as space becomes scarce? Also, glad to see the Council decided not to be completly lax on the contract; those stumps won't move themselves, ya' know. Anywho, enough rambling. Great stuff.
:thumbsup:

Swesim

Having been away for a while I noticed several updates of various kinds.
It is nice to see how the community grow and the problems it brings with it.
How did You change the buildings names in the queryboxes?

I am also eager to see how the canal estate will develop, I guess I´ll head over to Your blog right away...

Battlecat

Somehow I missed this update!  The stumps being cleaned up will make the land much more appealing to developers!  It's actually fairly realistic that it's getting hard to find space for large parks in the region.  I imagine the real world Boston Region has the same problem!