• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CSGdesign's NATURAL GROWTH

Started by CSGdesign, November 20, 2009, 12:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanami

CSGdesign

Quote from: Tomas Neto on March 06, 2010, 06:21:23 PM
Another great update my friend!!!  :thumbsup:
Cheerz Tomas!

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on March 06, 2010, 06:33:00 PM
Hmm, I wonder if the highway will get duplicated to the other side of the Tunnings Town logging site...

It'll be interesting to see what you finally decide to do with all that cleared land... and it's also good that the south of the region is having some attention paid to it with the last few updates. I wonder if we'll see more of Orthanc and Broadbeach (it is Broadbeach in the south-east isn't it?)

I should comment more often, but I do lurk. :P
Not sure what you mean by "duplicated on the other side"... the highway runs down to the east of that logging site and off the southern edge of the region.... but it converts from a RHW-4 to a RHW-2 somewhere just north of that contract site to the east of Tunnings Town.

Glad yer still lurkin!  I haven't seen you post anything on my blog site though - have you visited it?

Quote from: nedalezz on March 06, 2010, 07:05:35 PM
Great update! So what of the area cleared by the logging company, what is the plan for it?

No specific plan at this time, however the council has the intention of selling it off to developers - hence the battle over clearing it.

Quote from: canyonjumper on March 06, 2010, 07:10:18 PM
Great update! I'm curious to know what you're going to do with the empty spaces. Probably develop them, I'm guessing?

-Jordan :thumbsup:

Definately.  How and when remains to be seen.

Quote from: Faded Glory on March 06, 2010, 08:33:44 PM
Very nice pair of updates. As the development reaches towards the highway, will we be seeing some higher density buildings as space becomes scarce? Also, glad to see the Council decided not to be completly lax on the contract; those stumps won't move themselves, ya' know. Anywho, enough rambling. Great stuff.
:thumbsup:
Medium density generally springs up in the older and wealthier (or more crowded) areas.  For this reason most of Boston is sprawl around the edges of water, which eventually becomes small towers with sprawl stretching inland from the water (and along major routes).  It is extremely rare (but not unheard of) for medium density to be zoned with an initial development in Boston v2... unless its very close to the heavilly populated areas... such as a very old farm finally being bought out and converted into part of the surrounding suburbia.

Quote from: Swesim on March 07, 2010, 03:09:17 AM
Having been away for a while I noticed several updates of various kinds.
It is nice to see how the community grow and the problems it brings with it.
How did You change the buildings names in the queryboxes?

I am also eager to see how the canal estate will develop, I guess I´ll head over to Your blog right away...

The names can be changed just by clicking on them ingame and changing them like you would any other text.
Hope yer like my blogsite... it's becoming less of a blog and more of a major fansite every day haha.  I might need to consider renaming it soon... maybe even creating its own domain.  I'll setup a forum first and see how it fares before I spend too much money (and time) on it.

Quote from: Battlecat on March 11, 2010, 09:33:56 AM
Somehow I missed this update!  The stumps being cleaned up will make the land much more appealing to developers!  It's actually fairly realistic that it's getting hard to find space for large parks in the region.  I imagine the real world Boston Region has the same problem! 
No doubt - except that the real world Boston has filled many times over the space I have.  The entire region I have is suburbia and towers... I would have to re-check but I'm pretty confident there is ZERO wilderness in this region in the real world... even farms would surprise me... all city.  Boston v2 has a LOOOONG way to go to compare to that kind of development.

Quote from: 976 on March 11, 2010, 10:33:25 PM
Very good!
Spanks!

Orthanc Quay - Boston v2's oldest northern neighbour within the local area - was still considered a remote location.  Especially now that sims had begun getting used to the cruisey drives afforded by the new (and very nearly completed) SimNational highway project.

The only way in and out of Orthanc Quay was still the original ferry pontoon (now very old) and the winding scenic Great Northern Bay Road which didn't access the new highway network until far west of Crystal Bay... quite a drive.

As a result growth in this region had been slower than closer in to the heart of Boston, but the Orthanc Quay Council wanted all that to change.

There was still plenty of room to expand both outwards AND upwards on this little point of land... all council had to do was make it attractive to sims to live and Orthanc Quay could benefit from the population boom that Boston v2 had already begun to experience.

With the introduction of the new Orthanc Marina (privately owned and run by Flushing Floater Holdings) Orthanc Quay was becoming a very attractive city to live in.

Prosperity had been creeping into this previously farm-dominated landscape for generations, and the council recognised that this was where the growth, development and most importantly of all - the Simoleans - would come from.  Not pumpkins.

All it really needed was a bit of effort spent into upgrading and consolidating its isolated suburbs...

...some active campaigning to promote its natural attractions...

...and a big-ass road connecting it to the new SimNational Highway grid and Orthanc Quay would soon be called The Place To Be.

Hey maybe a jingle would help?

Orthanc! Orthanc! Come and see the Quay!

Water! Termites! It's the place to be.

Maybe the council should stick to their development plans and leave marketing up to the experts.

Want more? Visit my blog!

nedalezz

Given its location on the coast and with the construction of a new marina, I would not be surprised to see the rich start buying up second and weekend homes in the area. Great update!

Battlecat

Great update!  Orthanc is a neat looking little community, lots of growth potential there!  Love the attempt at an advertising jingle at the bottom.  They'd better leave that one to the professionals! 

Faded Glory

Ohh yes. Termites definitely determine where I wish to live. *Warning- Heavy sarcasm used in prior sentence* Haha, anyways very nice. What have we learned today? People > Pumpkins, and government officals should stick to politics  ;D

canyonjumper

Orthanc looks great! That's a great map!

Your friend,
                                 Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Bjarni

Spectacular!  &apls you're region is the best developed, most natural looking I've ever stumbled upon.
Actually been following this since ur post on deagon rail  ::) ;D
After seeing what you did here I got ALOT of ideas about how to develop my own region. So thank you for the inspiration, I am enjoying SC4 more and more with this playstyle.
And keep up the amazing work, I must say you really have some skills when it comes to designing and presenting your MD. Can't wait to see your end result  ;D :thumbsup:

oh and one thing... how do you take pics in game, and view them outside the game, I cant figure that one out.

CSGdesign

Well!

It's been a very long time since I wrote an update (compared to normal), but here it is.
I'm sorry for the delay, but I've been a very busy little bee setting up CSGforums, which is the forums aspect of CSGdescussions (my blog site).

Check it out some-time, I reckon you'll be surprised at what you find.

Quote from: nedalezz on March 12, 2010, 03:02:42 AM
Given its location on the coast and with the construction of a new marina, I would not be surprised to see the rich start buying up second and weekend homes in the area. Great update!
It is a long way from the CBD, so growth here will be much slower than growth nearer the CBD on the coast.  Portsmouth Island for example is growing faster than I can zone for... it's going nuts!

Quote from: Battlecat on March 12, 2010, 08:51:38 AM
Great update!  Orthanc is a neat looking little community, lots of growth potential there!  Love the attempt at an advertising jingle at the bottom.  They'd better leave that one to the professionals! 
Yeah.  &mmm  Lucky feeding my family doesn't depend on my jingle-writing abilities...

Quote from: Faded Glory on March 12, 2010, 05:33:48 PM
Ohh yes. Termites definitely determine where I wish to live. *Warning- Heavy sarcasm used in prior sentence* Haha, anyways very nice. What have we learned today? People > Pumpkins, and government officals should stick to politics  ;D
Haha right.

Quote from: canyonjumper on March 13, 2010, 09:24:14 PM
Orthanc looks great! That's a great map!

Your friend,
Thanks Jordan! Speaking of which I'm due to make a map of the entire region... if for no other reason than to prevent me from accidentally naming the same town twice (or more!)

Quote from: Bjarni on March 16, 2010, 03:30:39 AM
Spectacular!  &apls you're region is the best developed, most natural looking I've ever stumbled upon.
Actually been following this since ur post on deagon rail  ::) ;D
After seeing what you did here I got ALOT of ideas about how to develop my own region. So thank you for the inspiration, I am enjoying SC4 more and more with this playstyle.
And keep up the amazing work, I must say you really have some skills when it comes to designing and presenting your MD. Can't wait to see your end result  ;D :thumbsup:

oh and one thing... how do you take pics in game, and view them outside the game, I cant figure that one out.
Wow you've been reading since the second entry?? Amazing!
I'm really glad I'm able to give you some ideas.
As for end result... I'm not sure there ever will be one... you see I'm a total addict.  It's consuming my life.  I go to bed thinking about what I can do next to either write in my journal or improve my blogsite and (now) forums, and I wake up the next morning thinking about what to do first.  I think I need help.  Can you help? .....help.   %confuso

As the end of 1992G.Y. drew near, the Kasmir Rail Link also drew near completion, having been erected in near record time by the now very well established and well organised rail-manufacturing industry located in Tunnings Town, only a couple of kilometers to the south west.

Tellequin Minor League station was the first part of the upgrade, and it's construction was done in parallel with the rest of the track being laid.

The bulk of the rail line was laid through two large privately owned farms, making the Kasmir Rail Link one of the single least expensive rail lines per meter ever laid in Boston v2, not counting the cost of the earthworks required to create a new artificial land-bridge at the northern end of the rail line.

As the track headed north between Tellequin Beach and Eastlook, it passed through the administrative area of Tellequin Beach, very close to city hall.

The Eastlook Station was installed almost across the street from the Tellequin Courthouse, and was expected to become the hub station of the entire point.

The earth-works to widen the natural pass to Kasmir Point went largely without a hitch, as the entire point was founded on rock with only a superficial layer of sand having been deposited over the centuries.  There was some concern expressed over the erosive damage that might be caused by a 1-in-50 year storm event, and the problems it would cause if such a vital infrastructural link were severed, so council began considering options to curb this threat.

In the meantime only a few hundred meters of rail to the Kasmir Point Station remained, and the Kasmir Point Station itself.

The southern Boston coast was powering ahead, and would soon match the North-Eastern coastline for development.

Want more? Visit my blog.  Or check out our new forum site, CSGforums!

jdenm8

I sense a once in fifty years storm event pretty soon!

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

limeyfox

Hi CSG,

Sorry to bring this up in this topic, but I'm having a problem registering for your blog forum  ()what()

I've had about 10 attempts at inputting the Confirmation Code, I'm certain I'm getting it right but each time it tells me I've got it incorrect.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers,

Limeyfox

nedalezz

Another great update. I am sure the rail link will ease travelling traffic significantly, and bring a developing city closer together. The CBD, due to easier access, should see more activity, and more people wanting to take jobs there, as well as better retail sales.

canyonjumper

Great stuff, and I bet the area is getting a big sales boom.

Your friend,
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

Battlecat

Looks great!  That low elevation rail segment is pretty risky as has been observed!  Some seawalls or something would be a good start to prevent erosion.

Faded Glory

Great update. Glad to see that the southern coast is starting to get some love, because we haven't seen much recently except Skipper Bay and Tunning's Quary/ Town. By the way, are the canal walls officially done, or are they subject to some tweaking? All and all, good luck with the new forums and I enjoy this MD CJ whatchamathigger. :P ;D

Shadow Assassin

Glad yer still lurkin!  I haven't seen you post anything on my blog site though - have you visited it?

I visit the site regularly, just haven't signed up, that's all.

Anyway, looked at update 85 - it's pretty cool - also it looks like it's the first FAR segment you've done in this region... I like.

How is it going to link up to the rest of the rail network, is the question.

As for that duplication, I mean, is that RHW-4 going to get extended closer to Broadbeach in the future?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

scott1964

RickD

Just wanted to let you know that I am still following your MD.  ()stsfd() It is fascinating to see the region grow.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Tomas Neto

Great update again my friend!!!  :thumbsup:

Nanami

CSGdesign

Well my apologies for it taking so long to update... I've been very, very busy over at CSGforums setting it up the way we want it.  It's growing so rapidly I can't keep up, but it's all good now that I've recruited some help!
Come and check it out - we've got a file exchange which is set up a bit differently to everywhere else to try to help with searchability.  Plus live chat!  And a fun atmosphere... you'll all be extremely welcome.   :)

Soon we'll be announcing a quarterly awards system... that's right, every 3 months!
So get yer journals and images and content in for some well deserved recognition.

Quote from: jdenm8 on March 22, 2010, 04:59:22 AM
I sense a once in fifty years storm event pretty soon!
Haha yer spidey sense is a bit off - there wont be any devastation ... not yet at least.

Quote from: limeyfox on March 22, 2010, 05:19:09 AM
Hi CSG,

Sorry to bring this up in this topic, but I'm having a problem registering for your blog forum  ()what()

I've had about 10 attempts at inputting the Confirmation Code, I'm certain I'm getting it right but each time it tells me I've got it incorrect.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers,

Limeyfox
Hi Limeyfox... I dealt with this by PM and you've been on CSGforums fer awhile now.  If anyone else has any difficulty I'll be very pleased to help.

Quote from: nedalezz on March 22, 2010, 05:49:52 AM
Another great update. I am sure the rail link will ease travelling traffic significantly, and bring a developing city closer together. The CBD, due to easier access, should see more activity, and more people wanting to take jobs there, as well as better retail sales.
Thankyou nedalezz.
It has already brought a lot of growth, not even one game year on.

Quote from: canyonjumper on March 22, 2010, 07:16:47 AM
Great stuff, and I bet the area is getting a big sales boom.

Your friend,
Yes it's already grown heaps!  :)

Quote from: Battlecat on March 22, 2010, 09:40:29 AM
Looks great!  That low elevation rail segment is pretty risky as has been observed!  Some seawalls or something would be a good start to prevent erosion.
They'll come - just got my eye on other balls atm.

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on March 23, 2010, 02:49:05 AM
I visit the site regularly, just haven't signed up, that's all.

Anyway, looked at update 85 - it's pretty cool - also it looks like it's the first FAR segment you've done in this region... I like.

How is it going to link up to the rest of the rail network, is the question.

As for that duplication, I mean, is that RHW-4 going to get extended closer to Broadbeach in the future?
I don't know how it will link up to the other rail just yet...  we'll see  :)
The RHW will be extended in many ways in the immediate future.

Quote from: scott1964 on March 23, 2010, 10:47:51 AM
Nice update.  :)
Thanks Scott! :D

Quote from: RickD on March 25, 2010, 02:51:12 AM
Just wanted to let you know that I am still following your MD.  ()stsfd() It is fascinating to see the region grow.
I'm very pleased that you're still reading!
Sorry it's taken me so long to update, I've been quite busy over at CSGforums.

Quote from: Tomas Neto on March 25, 2010, 03:56:13 AM
Great update again my friend!!!  :thumbsup:
Thankyou Tomas :)

Quote from: 976 on March 31, 2010, 11:55:06 PM
Nice a lot!
Muchness of thankyous.   :D

We have only been in Boston for a couple of days, for the Big Boys Toys exhibition at the Keoto convention, just north of our motel.

But my wife wanted to visit the home of the Boston Big Cats, the stadium in East Central Boston, across the harbour.

We'd heard that the new Boston Harbour Tunnel had just been completed, so we decided to take it to our destination... it's always fun to drive in a tube with no windows filled with stacks of other cars and no way out if the water comes rushing in while you're... *breathes heavily* it's ok, I'm ok...

So we asked for directions.

Turns out it was a lot simpler than we thought.

Simply follow the Boston Central Motorway until you pass the Greck Corporation building (can be seen easily from the Keoto Convention Center), then turn right at the main intersection.

Immediately after that they're be a big signpost saying "Boston Harbour Tunnel" - it's really hard to miss actually.

That's the main road that will take you under the industrial docks and harbour and out the other side into East Central Boston.

If you see the stock-exchange, you've gone too far... (We got some nice shots of it while we were there though, so it's all good!)

They didn't tell me it was a toll but whatever... it's only §4.20.

Then you plunge into the tunnel itself... all that lovely claustrophobia, death pressing itself up against every window of your car... the sound of the tunnel creaking under the strain of the earth, ready to burst at any  ... it's ok, I'm okay.  It's actually really well lit and ventilated down there... you could almost forget that it wasn't a near-death experience!

The drive is noisy and unpleasant (but I'm bias, I'm very claustrophobic), and lasts for around 5 minutes, until you pop up the other side to sweet fresh air and natural light.

I'm not sure how much the tunnel cost the city, or how long it took but it's very fancy... nothing like that back where we live...

It's been quite a nice holiday... two more days and we go home.

I'm thinking of buying that flying car I saw at the Big Boys Toys show... a very reasonable §780,000...