• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CSGdesign's NATURAL GROWTH

Started by CSGdesign, November 20, 2009, 12:50:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aspirin4o

Oh, a flying car! I think I will buy one also ;D
"Gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā!"
"Gone, gone, totally gone, totally completely gone, enlightened, so be it!"

jdenm8

Gee. The way you talked about it in CSGchat made it sound huge!  :o A good update and I should do one on my CJ... eventually. (Must out-do CSG. Must out-do CSG.)

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

canyonjumper

A flying car! Can it time travel too ;D? Nice use of the Big Dig lots, CSG!

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

ComputerGuy

Ooh..the tunnel seems like an interesting concept.

I love your CJ so much that I dedicate my first SC4D post to you, CSG!

dedgren

Just checking back in.  Can't wait for the next update!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

marsh

Great idea With the tunnle  :thumbsup: Downtown is growing big, it was needed. ;D

Also, did you know that in reality that the Big Dig was in Boston? So this kinda fits  :P

Battlecat

Nice job with the tunnel!  That's a great addition to the area. 

Nanami

Nice update! This MD is awesome!

CSGdesign

Quote from: Aspirin4o on April 08, 2010, 05:52:18 AM
Oh, a flying car! I think I will buy one also ;D
Awesome huh.
I've seen a few at similar Big Boys Toys style shows and they're pretty damn cool.
Personal subs too.  I'd love a personal submarine.

Quote from: jdenm8 on April 08, 2010, 06:39:47 AM
Gee. The way you talked about it in CSGchat made it sound huge!  :o A good update and I should do one on my CJ... eventually. (Must out-do CSG. Must out-do CSG.)
The tunnel is almost 1km long... and is the single largest crossing in Boston so far.
Originally I had it cross the same distance into the neighbouring tile and pop up on the east side of the suburbs but I wasn't getting any traffic so I tried making it smaller and it seems to have worked.
I've heard since that in fact it can cross city borders so I'll try extending it later on in Boston's time-line.

Quote from: canyonjumper on April 09, 2010, 04:06:48 PM
A flying car! Can it time travel too ;D? Nice use of the Big Dig lots, CSG!

-Jordan :thumbsup:
No the flying car can't time travel.  You gotta buy a seperate time-traveling Delorian for that.
I likez the Big Digs - very very useful mod.

Quote from: ComputerGuy on April 09, 2010, 06:24:11 PM
Ooh..the tunnel seems like an interesting concept.

I love your CJ so much that I dedicate my first SC4D post to you, CSG!
Well thankyou.
Of course since this first post you've totally spammed our new forums to death.  :P  ;)
Glad to have you.

Quote from: dedgren on April 17, 2010, 05:29:45 PM
Just checking back in.  Can't wait for the next update!

David

Here 'tis!
A very warm welcome to CSGforums too.  Nice to have you. :)

Quote from: marsh on April 18, 2010, 08:44:44 PM
Great idea With the tunnle  :thumbsup: Downtown is growing big, it was needed. ;D

Also, did you know that in reality that the Big Dig was in Boston? So this kinda fits  :P
Ya downtown is getting out of control but the towers are still all small ones.
Mostly this is because of the complex street network, as outlined in the entry "Making Room For the Big Ones", but over time that will become a more and more gridded network to accomodate CBD traffic, like most CBDs worldwide... it's a steady process, one development project at a time... in a similar way to this entry, actually, except not just upgrading the road but often completely re-aligning it or removing it altogether.
I was aware of Boston's Big-Dig... in fact I have the Boston Big Dig lot, as well as a few others.  I intend to do much more tuneling in the future as Boston v2 grows.

Quote from: Battlecat on April 19, 2010, 09:32:03 AM
Nice job with the tunnel!  That's a great addition to the area. 
Thankyou Battlecat!
It works well - it now has more traffic traveling on it than the Carlson Esanda Memorial Bridge (the big avenue bridge that's been there for like 80 years).
It has also relieved a lot of traffic traveling from the CBD up north and then east into the western areas, creating a shortcut to the east.
I expect it to get much more used than it currently is... simply because it's a direct link to the second largest part of Boston v2 - the east.

Quote from: 976 on April 22, 2010, 08:37:20 PM
Nice update! This MD is awesome!
Cheers 976!
Nice to see yer still reading.  :)

SimCorp Stadium, the first Stadium built anywhere in Boston, sat opposite the Keoto Convention Centre, just to the south of the Boston Central CBD.

The road that ran between SimCorp Stadium and the Keoto Convention Centre (Milankovitch Road) had served the community well for many years, but as Boston Grew it became one of only a few roads leading off the main Boston Central Motorway into the western areas of Boston CBD and inner suburbs.  As a result it had become one of the more conjested roads in the city, and needed to be upgraded.

The Marsdom Stadium in Boston's inner northern suburb of Birdknob Park hosted the majority of games in Boston (due to its size and crowd capacity), making the SimCorp Stadium largely obsolete and used only for smaller and less popular games like Stuffed Poodle Hockey and Women's Soccer.

In addition the Marsdom Stadium had better access (being right next door to a bus stop, subway and rail stations), and was located well out of the CBD, so that it wasn't on such valuable real-estate.

As a result, after much debate about "historical values" and "the city needs to expand" and "won't somebody please think of the children" it was decided that SimCorp Stadium had served its purpose and the space was better used for the growing CBD, and to allow the expansion of Milankovitch Road to the western inner suburbs.

So it was that SimCorp Stadium got the bag, and work was done to upgrade this section of Boston CBD, including the infrastructure... which was the whole reason this debate began.

Milankovitch Road was upgraded to higher capacity, and a new subway line was installed.

The first developer to take advantage of the new real estate was the Barrimont Family Trust, who constructed the Barrimont Tower as rented office space.  Construction was completed several months later.

And so through death and rebirth, Boston continues to grow at an accelerating pace.

marsh

I always loved that Barrimont Building. Alot of detail compared to other buildings by maxis. Its alos neat how two of the original buildings are still there at the base of that dense peninsula. Im egar to see even taller buildings in Boston since your updating more often now.  :thumbsup:

Aspirin4o

There's not much that can be said  :) Every update made by you, CSG, is pure genius  &apls
"Gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā!"
"Gone, gone, totally gone, totally completely gone, enlightened, so be it!"

limeyfox

Nice update again.  Please can I request a subject for the future - a complete summary of the rail / subway network in Boston?

Many thanks!

CSGdesign

Quote from: marsh on April 25, 2010, 09:15:01 PM
I always loved that Barrimont Building. Alot of detail compared to other buildings by maxis. Its alos neat how two of the original buildings are still there at the base of that dense peninsula. Im egar to see even taller buildings in Boston since your updating more often now.  :thumbsup:
The Barrimont Building is Maxis' Lucky Lizard Lofts.  Its the first that has grown for me.
Taller buildings will come soon - the CBD is spreading outwards fast and very large inner city blocks are beginning to form ... it's only a matter of time until very large towers like Xylo's awesome Oak Ridge begin to grow.

Quote from: Aspirin4o on April 26, 2010, 12:20:10 AM
There's not much that can be said  :) Every update made by you, CSG, is pure genius  &apls
Thankyou very much Aspirin4o!  :)
I hope to see you on CSGforums sometime  ;)
Now that we've set them up to a reasonably developed level I can afford to let it idle a bit while I focus back on playing and journaling - where it all started and where the real fun is.   ;D

Quote from: limeyfox on April 26, 2010, 01:18:19 AM
Nice update again.  Please can I request a subject for the future - a complete summary of the rail / subway network in Boston?

Many thanks!

That's a LOT of work but you're right it's long overdue and well worth the effort.
I'll put some thought into how I'd do it and whether I could.
Thanks for the awesome suggestion!

Boston had grown a great deal in the two years since the Eastern Seaboard Highway Project was completed.

So much so in fact that traffic traveling in from out of town or passing though Boston was causing some real headaches in the inner city region.

So an Inner City Bypass to the east was proposed, with the added benefit of further connecting the now thriving eastern suburbs.

The key area of concern (besides the astronomical cost of the Gateway Bridge or underpass (not yet decided) was the passage through the eastern suburb of Hiccup and across Brackish Inlet to Oogley on the north shore.

This was a very heavily built up area, with some complex infrastructure already in place.  As a result some very careful planning and most likely some of the most expensive infrastructural upgrades of Boston v2's history would have to be made.

Development plans are open to public debate, before council starts drafting the final plans...

emgmod

I would recommend building a bridge. Besides the landmark effect of a bridge, buses and trucks can use them, unlike the Big Dig.

Battlecat

Wow, the urban core of Boston is growing rapidly of late.  It looks great!

canyonjumper

I would recommend the bridge, not only (as emgmod said) because of the landmark status, and it will undoubtedly be easier and be more cost friendly.

Your friend,
                                  Jordan
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

limeyfox

With the limited space available, how will the ring road intersect with local roads of Hiccup?  Failure to provide a connection may see the area get left behind development-wise.  Better mind that high school east of the tower blocks as well!

Definitely a bridge job in my opinion BTW.  Why not follow the Public-Private-Partnership (PPP) model and allow the bridge to be built, maintained and operated by a private company, who can charge entrance tolls to fund its costs?  I predict it will pay for itself in a few decades given the expected level of traffic, and this relieves the council of much of the price.

Seb

Nanami

Rady

I definitely opt for the bridge version. Not only for matter of costs, but the bridge would be a nice landmark on the entry point of that bay (given you will choose an extraordinary design for that bridge).

Apart from that - still love your MD!
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

SeanSC4

Since I live just north of Boston, I always find delight in reading your MD CSGdesign. Great work as always.