• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Nauset - Teaser - June 6th

Started by evanator, February 08, 2009, 02:44:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

evanator

Today's update will start at Ampleforth Square, and we'll travel down Girding Road, where we'll begin our tour of the last area of Iyannough squeezed between Route 45 and the railway tracks. This update also features a majority of night shots as an experiment, hope you enjoy it!

Here's a 3rd generation map to help you get your bearings. I'm quite pleased with this style, and will hopefully not have to change it again.

Here's Girding Road. Just to the right, the park trails lead to Ampleforth Square. Roule Hill is one of a few hills in Iyannough that break up the flat terrain. Unfortunately Roule Hill, and most others in Nauset have lost their former grandeur, as they have been leveled out by the centuries building on them.
      The entire area is a little strange. For one, the yellow house that sits among the row homes and apartments has long been a mystery to residents, and perhaps forever will. Also Roule Park is right next to the busy railway, and there isn't even a fence to keep unsuspecting pedestrians out of harms way. Luckily no one has ever been injured here, but residents still are lobbying for a fence to be put up.

Here's some of the buildings in the Roule Hill area. As you can see the dense urban environment has obscured the Hill over the years.

This is where Route 525/Samoset Street crosses the railway. Due to the overly awkward turns in the roadway near the crossing, this is Iyannough's most dangerous rail crossing. The nearby traffic light at the Lansdowne Street intersection only complicates the situation further.

For the first night shot, this is along Lansdowne Street, just west of its termination at Route 525.

A shot of the same area from a different angle, and during the day. As you can see, this neighborhood backs right up onto the train tracks.

Moving along Lansdowne Street, here is where Pompano Road branches off and goes toward North Riverside. We'll follow Pompano Road and explore more of North Riverside next update.

Heres a mix of apartment buildings between Lansdowne and Stanley Streets, near Lansdowne Square. There's something I really like about this shot, it gives a good sense of what this area of Nauset is like, a jumble of buildings and styles, an American melting pot.

Nearby is Lansdowne Square. Here's a shot looking down Dartmouth Drive.

A stretch of Dartmouth Drive, between the square and where it goes under the highway.

A night shot of the area between Lansdowne Street, Dartmouth Drive, Route 45 and Pompano Road.

Here's a shot at dusk of the intersection between Pompano and Hyannis Roads. I edited it in the gimp, and am not really entirely happy with it. The color seems off, yet I don't know which way it needs to be adjusted.

A shot of another rail side neighborhood, west of Hyannis Road.

Finally, to close out the update, a shot of the Leonard Staag Building. We'll be continuing across the highway on Pompano Road next time.

Topcliff - Thanks I'm glad you enjoyed it. About the tan midrise, I thought that I had gotten it from JBSimio's wonderful creations, but when I went back, I couldn't find it! I do believe I downloaded it on the LEX, and will have to look into my plugins folder. Sorry!

Guillaume(Sciurus) - Thanks for your compliment, and for stopping by again!

danielcote - Thanks, I try to do limited planning, and mostly just see where the city takes itself, with a few nudges here and there. I know how you feel, the main street in my town had it's boom in the 60's and is now all run down.

- Thanks for your comment, and for stopping by again!

sebes
- Thanks for swinging by again, and for your compliment!

Nexis4Jersey - Thanks for your comment!

evertonforever - Thanks for your comment, and congratulations on your new pc. Hope to be seeing your MD soon!

Battlecat
- Thanks for passing by again! I appeciate your support and comments. As for that area, if everything goes to plan, we'll get to visit it around update 11 or 12.

Till next time...  Evan

Battlecat

Another great update.  That one intersection looks quite dangerous indeed, what with the blind corner.  Jaywalking there would be quite hazardous. 

I like what you did with those trails there in the first picture.  Which set is that? 

danielcote

hold up, I wasn't talking about you're downtown I was talking about my RL cities downtown Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. You're downtown is nice. 

I really like dart mouth drive and the highway seams to contrast well.

evertonforever1

Very Nice update.

This is actually my favorite MD.  Probably because it is exaclty how i like my cities.

What Park Path Set are you using?  I really l;ike your parks winding inbetween different neigbourhoods.

evanator

In today's update we'll cross Route 45, and return to the North Riverside region for the last time for awhile. In the process, we'll conclude the tour of all of Iyannough north of the rail line, and so I have a special (hopefully) surprise at the end. Heres a map of the area. So let's get to it!

Here's a shot of the shoreline of the Scargo River by Exit 18. In the upper right is Landowne Street/ River Street. River Street curves off north to the area seen in Update 6, while Lansdowne Street continues on as a minor road before it curves and terminates at Wesley Avenue by Exit 19.

You may wonder, as many do, why Exits 18 and 19 are literally mere meters from each other. The answer is that Exit 19 was an afterthought exit. As traffic became a nightmare in Lansdowne Square, Exit 18 was being used far more than intended. Therefore the the half-exit Exit 19 was created to allow easy access to people coming from North Riverside, and going downtown, without the need to go through the square.

The same area from a different vantage point, looking northwest towards the river.

Here you can see that development starts to die off as we approach Pompano Point to the west. The row homes here are generally nicer than in other parts of Iyannough, reflecting the area's greater wealth.

Recently a number of mid-rise buildings have sprung up in between Wesley Avenue, and Route 45. Here's a shot of them off Wesley Avenue facing northeast.

Taking a right on Pompano Road we come to the Wesley Gearson Memorial Plaza. The namesake of Wesley Avenue was a prominent figure of local 19th century life in Nauset. While no one really knows what he actually did, he is immortalized in a statue here anyways.

As we follow Pompano Road down to Pompano Point, the hulking monument of the Pompano Residences building appears. The recently constructed apartment tower takes advantage of the splendid views of the river to the north and west, Iyannough to the east, and the far off skyscrapers of downtown to the south.

The trail to Pompano Point. The point is little more than a sandbar created by the movement of the river, but it serves as a nice retreat to nature from the hectic city life. To the right the river current rushes by, but the the left the water is stagnant and marshy, giving the area a unique ambiance.

Where the trail, and several others begin and a parking area for those outdoors enthusiasts. Here Pompano Road ends in a roundabout before the marsh.

Continuing along the marshy riverside we come to this neighborhood, backed right against the marsh side.

Going around the roundabout we head back along Pompano Road going east. Some small commercial development lines the roadway here.

Here's where Dartmouth Drive crosses under Route 45 and heads into the commercial lined Dartmouth Square.

Here is Dartmouth Square. Pompano Road runs vertically through and eventually ends up terminating at Lansdowne Street if followed under the highway. Dartmouth Drive continues on south past the square towards the 'wasteland'.

Some new commercial development across from a neighborhood on Dartmouth Drive.

The Sim Trust Bank seems to have a hankering for Nauset. It's branches are all over the place, with this being one of them. Needing more space, it seems they forwent hiring an architect, and simply built the same building over again, and connected them all together! In all seriousness though, does anybody know of a lot/lots that could replace the monopoly of this building? It's a great building, but it grows far too much for my liking.

Here at last is the 'wasteland'. This whole area used to be low income neighborhoods, besides the train station, until the city council approved the 'Route 45 Realignment and Infrastructure Consolidation Project' of 'RRICP'. The project, costing millions, is currently 1/3 of the way complete. The area has been cleared, the temporary parking lots and roadways have been constructed and the brand new Department of Infrastructure Tower is complete.
      The second part of the project, slated to begin soon, involves more neighborhood destruction, and the realignment of the railways that intersect here. The DOI Tower will eventually be the hub of the area, but now it sits as a bleak tombstone over the graveyard of the wasteland that it has created. When completed, there will be rail, bus, and ferry access all bundled together. The elevated Avenue in the right of the picture is the last bit of Route 320.

As you can see some of the project zone borders the marsh, and so workewrs are constantly battleing the mud and gunk as they work. After the rail bridge the marsh ceases, and the clean riverbank returns. The bridge is also being considered to be replaced, for although it has a draw bridge in the center, it severly limits commercial and industrial activity along the river.

And finally, the surprise: a mosaic! Starting at Pompano Point, it goes through some hopefully farmiliar areas, until it reaches the Joseph Torrie Memorial Rotary. A first for Nauset, so enjoy!

Battlecat - Thanks for your comment! The park set is the wonderful SFBT medium welath set, found here. Unfortunately a good portion of the lots, the orthogonal ones, are for some reason inaccessible from the install.  :(

danielcote
- No fear friend, I was also talking about my real life downtown, or main street! Also thanks for your comments!

evertonforever1 - Thanks! To think that this mere MD of mine could be someone's favorite is overwhelming! :) As I mentioned to Battlecat, the SFBT park set can be found here , minus the inaccessible pieces.

Till next time...     -Evan

P.S. The mosaic unfortunately didn't upload to photobucket full size, due to their file size limits, and switching to a different file type only compromises the quality, so I apologize that it's slightly smaller than it should be!

evertonforever1

Ohhhhh... a new update.  Looks very nice and detailed!!

Really like pampano residences.  They really fit the area and if i were to live in Nauset that would be were.. tehe!

i must ask what the river side texture your using is?

thnks

Battlecat

Nice job on this update!  That marshy area looks fantastic, great use of the RRP materials!  That mosaic looks amazing, you've done a fantastic job with the detailing there! 

evanator

Well I've been working on Update Nine which should be released within the week, probably more towards the end of next week, as I have finals approaching. The update will feature the area around Route 320 in central Iyannough.
      I do however have a few pictures to tide over until then:

This is Route 320 as it rounds a bend and becomes Gossamer Avenue.

Gossamer Road splits off from 320 at the bend and crosses over Route 20. Here crews begin work on the Gossamer Road/Exit 5 Project, which we will be following in full in a later update.

evertonforever1 - Thanks, Pompano Residences is one of the things I like about the 'growing' in SC4. It just grew up there amongst all the low rise homes, and I like it! As for the river side texture, its just the default one from the Italia Terrain mod, (linkie).

Battlecat
- Thank you! Such a comment coming from the king of detailing himself is a high honor indeed. Thanks for stopping by again friend.

Topcliff - I have found that tan mid rise you asked about. It is the Badger Row tower made by none other than the fantastic SimGoober! And can be found here (linkie).

evertonforever1

love the Medium Density core to your city.  Looks nice

Im just gearing up for my MD now... I am runnning into a few stumbleing blocks at the moment but shout have it up by the middle of the month

Im looking forward to Update Nine. Mabye it will have some of your suburbs??

danielcote

oh you were talking about you're city too  $%Grinno$%

well well well this city seems to be getting more eye candyish as we go on here.

Don't tare down any nice buildings in the process of the highway exit project.

Battlecat

Nice teaser!  I like what you've done with that low-medium wealth area.  Looking forward to seeing the rest of the update!

danielcote

Wow is there a rule that only canadians can post in this CJ other than evanator thats the author because all I see on this page is canadians eh. isn't it ironic.  $%Grinno$%

peter007

very cool  pictures :thumbsup:
I like that you use rail especially that train that is riding on that picture a really beautiful train

very good

antimonycat

A nicely thought out MD you have here! On the most recent update, I especially like where the marshy areas/foliage meet the urban ones, like the 'riverside homes' screenshot. Good job on your well made map too.

Sciurus

Woaw, Nauset is still beautiful since I quit SC4D. &apls &apls I hope to stopping by ore times during my holidays ;)

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Tomas Neto