• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beskhu3epnm

Looks like one of the most beautiful early winter days over there... go easy on that vodka, pal!

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?board=79.0
New Horizons Productions Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio dedgren ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite M4346 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Pat

David the map is simply put stunning and wonderful... I do soo love the stream shot in the morning, with snow on the banks and the wee bit hint of the ice lol.... Ohh the last pic is by far the best yet.... Talk about showcasing vodka  &apls :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

A peaceful aspen grove with a little stream running through it. Who could ask for more?

Until next time...
Joan

threestooges

Quite an area you live in. Nice bibliography you have for the atlas, and some interesting titles for reference. Hope the trip is relaxing and that spirits are suitably fortified. Enjoy the trip.

dedgren

Court this morning, and stuff to do I hadn't expected.

In the meantime, here's an oddity that occurred while I was moving things around a bit ago.

3RR tends to push various aspects of the game to the limit, but that's one I had not seen yet.

Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Pat

LoL david it looks as the BLACK hole has struck you... Oii I hope you can get this figured out....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

wouanagaine

make a backup, and try to load the region with SC4TF or SC4Mapper. make a subtle change in that quad and save only that quad, maybe it will help

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Tarkus

Not yet elected, eh?  I guess you're ahead of your time.   :D  I've never seen that error before--that's just plain weird.  Awesome seeing more of the 3RR atlas as well.  You've got the whole roadgeek community here excited.

-Alex (Tarkus)

threestooges

Well that's certainly one for the "show us your oddities" thread. Is it a bad sign when the experienced members of the site tell you to make backups and that they haven't seen things like it before? At any rate, I hope it's fixed easily... don't want anything to happen to this.

Shadow Assassin

I've seen that before.

It's possible that the game was interrupted when it was saving that quad. Try and reopen that quad and save it again. Or, just import it from your 'eyecandy' region (the OTHER 3RR map :P)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Jmouse

Waiting to exhale.

Until next time...
Joan

mightygoose

i think its quite easily explainable. you see with such a large region, comes great mass, similiar in fact to a galaxy in SC4 terms, what has happened here is merely the same as what happens in the centre of a galaxy, a black hole, its existence in fact may be key to holding the region together, but as a side note its effects on time and space would explain the apparent oddity in the timeline displaying the ast as the present as no light can escape from within the event horizon, thus showing the image of the black holes inception. to correct one must wait for the hole to evaporate by thermodynamic means after sufficient hawking radiation has been emitted(a requirement to conserve entropy). in this context having experienced such a problem myself also, to rectify the hole without the several million year wait one can as shadow pointed out open then close the affected region of space to trigger an instantaneous collapse of the singularity, return spacetime to a normal and far less interesting state  "$Deal"$ :thumbsup:
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Ryan B.

Quote from: mightygoose on October 29, 2007, 09:04:01 PM
i think its quite easily explainable. you see with such a large region, comes great mass, similiar in fact to a galaxy in SC4 terms, what has happened here is merely the same as what happens in the centre of a galaxy, a black hole, its existence in fact may be key to holding the region together, but as a side note its effects on time and space would explain the apparent oddity in the timeline displaying the ast as the present as no light can escape from within the event horizon, thus showing the image of the black holes inception. to correct one must wait for the hole to evaporate by thermodynamic means after sufficient hawking radiation has been emitted(a requirement to conserve entropy). in this context having experienced such a problem myself also, to rectify the hole without the several million year wait one can as shadow pointed out open then close the affected region of space to trigger an instantaneous collapse of the singularity, return spacetime to a normal and far less interesting state  "$Deal"$ :thumbsup:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?  Let me sign you up to appear on the next The Universe documentary on the History Channel.   :P

Seriously, though - good read (especially for those of you taking any astronomy classes).

Besides, I didn't know this kinda stuff was applicable to 3RR, since 3RR has gone above and beyond the real world.

thundercrack83

Besides, I didn't know this kinda stuff was applicable to 3RR, since 3RR has gone above and beyond the real world.

I must say that I'm certainly not surprised that, somehow, 3RR has now delved into the realm of Hawking. It was only a matter of time.

Hope you get that quad straightened out, David!

Shadow Assassin

Hmm, MightyGoose brings up an interesting point.

3RR has its own black hole!  :D
New Horizons Productions

dedgren

This is a format I'm pretty much decided upon for the 3RR Road Atlas.

If you would have any suggestions, speak now.  It takes about 10-15 minutes to create each page, and once I start, that's what the Atlas will look like for a while.

Update on the "Not Elected Yet" pic.  As some of you have figured out from different things I've said, I shuttle quads in and out of my 3RR working file pretty often, as I generally work on individual ones in a one or nine quad "workbench" region.  Someday I do a few pics for those who like to see sausage made.

Anyway, the NEY quad just showed up after reloading a bunch of fine terraformed quads into the master region.  I don't know why it happened- I might have simply left the quad file out of the folder after having it in there before.  Whatever, it's clear the game engine was looking for it because it retained the quad name ("100").  The fix was to simply make sure a good quad "100" was imported the next go round- cleared things right up.

I really am jazzed to see the remarks about backing things up.  I'm about hip deep in backups- I never plan to lose anything associated with this project, but it does my heart proud to see the message sinking in.  There is nothing- I repeat, nothing- in the cybergaming world worse than knowing you've done something wonderful in this game and then not being able to open it or access it because of data loss or corruption.  Save several copies back of your regions and plugins folders (I have all of mine  through all the changes back to late 2006).  Don't just trust hard drives- save onto CD or DVD every so often.  I still see way too many MDs that die because of a crash or data corruption.

It doesn't need to happen.

Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Shadow Assassin

I suppose it would be cool to see a white border (maybe about 10px or so) with black 1px outline around the map, divided into sections based on the township boundaries. :P
New Horizons Productions

kalanc69

Hmm...Did anyone remember I had the 2000 comment and the 100th page?? Just wondered... &cry2

OH YEA!! I forgot to tell everyone....My wife gave birth to our first daughter on the 28th!! Bethany Ann was born at 9:20am and weighed 6lbs 8 ozs. She measured 19 inches!! WOOT!! That makes number 4!! Three boys prior to this.... :thumbsup:

bat

Very great looking maps there :thumbsup: , looking forward to more... ;)

dedgren

OK, I've added a grid of faint (10% visibility) grey lines in the township to show the quads, a small quad index to the right of the scale bar and a "neat line" around the entire page.  Thanks, Shadow!

I think that looks better.

kalanc- hey!  Haven't forgotten, just want to make sure we suitably honor the occasion (and big grats, too, on the latest addition to the fam- we'll expect a picture or two, and our best to mom and Bethany Ann!).  I also owe Douwe induction honors into the 3RR Fact Checkers.  I do keep a list...

Lots of things happening as we turn the last corner and head for the Birthday Bash.  SC4D is a great place to be!

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...