• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

What do we know about the Phantom Slider Bug?

Started by woodb3kmaster, April 23, 2010, 12:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodb3kmaster

Title says it all, really. I have a quad that's suffering from the slider bug for educational buildings, and I want to know as much about this problem as I can before attempting to fix it. Here's what I've learned through searching for "slider bug" in the forums:

It's caused by either 1) uninstalling a civic building without demolishing all instances of it first or 2) modding the capacity or monthly costs of a civic building.
Funding sliders in the affected department increase or decrease by a fixed percentage until reaching either zero or the maximum of 120%, depending on whether the modded building cost was decreased or increased, respectively.
Ridding a quad of the bug requires all civic buildings in that quad of the affected department to be demolished, the quad saved and then reopened, possibly with a wait of a couple months after reopening the quad before rebuilding the demolished civics.

Am I right on all of the above? Is therer anything else we know about the slider bug (especially something that would help me get rid of it)?

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

RippleJet

Quote from: woodb3kmaster on April 23, 2010, 12:50:00 AM
Am I right on all of the above? Is therer anything else we know about the slider bug (especially something that would help me get rid of it)?

There isn't really much to add to it...
You might want to read the thread Health and education funding problem though. ;)

ScottFTL

Quote from: woodb3kmaster on April 23, 2010, 12:50:00 AM
Am I right on all of the above? Is there anything else we know about the slider bug (especially something that would help me get rid of it)?

To the best of my knowledge, that is correct. Do you know how the phantom slider bug was caused in this city?  To fix this, you will need to delete the affected buildings, then save and exit the city.  Reload the city and rebuild these buildings to correct the problem.  If you deleted a civic building, you should restore this building to your plugins before deleting any instances in this city.  You can remove it again once you have confirmed that the phantom slider bug is gone.  If the problem is a building with changed stats, then you can simply delete all instances, save and exit, then rebuild them.  There will be a short-term affect on education, but it will stabilize once the sims start using the "new" schools again.

apeguy

Sorry to bump this thread, but I have also had the same problem in the past with my schools and hospitals. I must say that this information is very useful, and will mean I won't have to give up and delete my city when this happens.

However, A few days ago I had the same problem with my police stations in one of my cities, they all dropped to zero funding. I tried moving them back to their original positions (I initially set them all to maximum), then they dropped again. Wherever I set the funding, they always moved back to zero again. I was just wondering, could the same things mentioned above work for my police buildings?

Also, these were the police buildings I was using in the city:

JRJ Maritime control tower
SNM military police station
Maxis small police station

Do any of these have any known issues? I have checked to make sure I have all the dependancies for all of them, so I'm not a typing monkey.

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

PlayStation Network ID: theapeguy

RippleJet

Quote from: apeguy on August 20, 2010, 02:37:56 PM
JRJ Maritime control tower
SNM military police station
Maxis small police station

As far as I know, the first two ones are not modded to replace any ingame police stations, so they should be safe.
The latter one could have been affected by some mod changing the funding for the ingame police stations though...

Indisguise

That why it best when modding is done on any of the original maxis lots or mods that change the stats on other material it's best to make a new clone lot of it. It can look the same just give it a new name "Acme whatever". Specially if you add or remove any values or new abilities.

Changing a plopable lots stats if your already used the lot  in a city or wish to trade cities with others, or like to open older regions or play differnt regions is a good way to corrupt a city file, yep a dead throwaway file.
Aviod the have to demolish the original lots with the old version, then add mod replop issues when ever possible
I do realise there are few mods like this, noteable example's toraco's opera house fix and ripplejets private school funding mod. Which I use myself, sure there are others ones you may use. As long as you know when using the you know how to use them properly. In the start of a new region willing to demolish all the old lots that been used or do a switcharoo with file folders in and out of your game when changing cities or region you play.

One other problem is that you need to check the lots downloaded elsewhere and  make sure it's not a plagerised that only been modded and overwrites  the original that you may already be using in your game.
WIL CAUSE CTD ISSUES.

Avoid any funding that 0, set it to at least 1, maybe 2, 4, or 10, specially any that are  adjustable funding that can be done over all  through the budget sheet. eg. schools power plants, fire or police etc.

Think it confuses the game that funding of zero is also the max. The lot in question may not have funding adjuster itself but if any other lot that your using does that in the same catagory as it may effect the funding.

Yes this will give you more stuff to cycle in the menus, but sure beats the sliderbar to zero and the CTD issues.

Colossus X-rated

apeguy

I just checked my Plugins folder, and I don't have any mods that change my police stations. I have the 2x radius mod for schools and hospitals but nothing like that for my police stations.

The Deltan Empire is here! Click the Banner to have a look! | Kanalka City, Capital of the Barrier Islands

RippleJet

Have you tried to delete all police stations in the game, let it run for a month or two, saved the city, exited and restarted?
At that point you should be able to replop your stations without having the phantom funding sliders.

Btw, check in the budget window that there's no police station remaining when you save and exit!

apeguy

I got rid of all the police stations, replopped them after a few months, and it worked! thanks very much everyone. :thumbsup: