• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

What causes this?

Started by BuildingUp, December 12, 2008, 04:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuildingUp

Ever since I downloaded Sim City 4 to this new computer with Vista, I get these lines on different things.

RippleJet

They are called Tesselation Lines, and they were once discussed here: ;)
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=3418.0

BuildingUp

Thank you for the article, but it raises one other question, on my nvidia control panel, the two options that I needed to select are already selected. And there are different types of anti aliasing selections.

RDL

I am lousy with linking but this should help you better get a feel.

http://www.lunaloca.com/tutorials/antialiasing/

ubjazzed

OK. I got another one.
When visually scanning my cities using the mouse or arrows I get screen 'ripping' or 'tearing' where I get these yellow lines and very blurry or 'stretched' displays. The only way around this is to either zoom in or out.  &sly

No screenshots from here at work but will post if needed.

I'm runing XP on a P4, two gigs memory and a Nvidia 8200.

Very annoying but no play problems.
Prethanks.

j-dub

From what I am hearing is, you have have a lot with no base texture, that can cause the yellow lines from pausing the game can rip there. Also there is this three button combination on your keyboard, if you press it you will get giant yellow lines on the edges where you have major elevation changes in the land.

I would not usually come here, but I noticed something very unusual happening, it actually rained in SC4! Today when I was playing, the game was paused, I did something to the land. There was this weird rattling noise, sounded like something spilling. I move over, turns out it was the game rain. What rain in SC4?! I have never noticed this before. There were the usual clouds, planes flying around and the unusual fireworks happening, all when the game was paused. This was too much or something because I tried going back to build something, crash! So does this mean in addition to stopping the day and night cycle they did this to the rain, because unsuitability? I played the city again, and within a short time after loading, it rained again. The difference was the fireworks did not happen at the same time, I didn't crash then. I have to say the rain animation is really tiny, and does not hit the ground, compared to the loud noise it makes. I don't
think you could hear it if you had the game music on. 

Swamper77

J-dub,

You wouldn't happen to have Gizmo's Rain Mod installed, would you? This is the only way I know of for having rain fall on it's own. Gizmo created a new effect that is stored in a custom EffectsDirectory to do this. The effect is attached to "Rainwater Collection Plant", which is a copy of the Maxis Water Purification Plant with the rain effect prop placed on it.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

ubjazzed

Quote from: ubjazzed on February 25, 2009, 11:54:04 AM
OK. I got another one.
When visually scanning my cities using the mouse or arrows I get screen 'ripping' or 'tearing' where I get these yellow lines and very blurry or 'stretched' displays. The only way around this is to either zoom in or out.  &sly

No screenshots from here at work but will post if needed.

I'm running XP on a P4, two gigs memory and a Nvidia 8600.

Very annoying but no play problems.
Prethanks.

Thanks for responding Dub. I should have checked here before today. Sorry for not.

This 'yellow line ripping' will occur as I move around my regions. I think I might have installed a 'background texture' a few weeks ago because the background is sometimes blue, sometimes black. I haven't seen the background texture in any of my downloaded folders so there, I'm stuck. Any other way to check for this? Certain file names to check?

No base texture? Do you mean on one of the lots I may have downloaded? This problem started just as I began downloading added content. Had hardly anything installed in my plugins folders besides NAM, (which may lead me back to that background tex). I do have Goobs commercial package that is giving me a background colored grass/pavement texture but that was just added recently.

Feedback?

TheTeaCat

Quote from: ubjazzed on March 04, 2009, 10:52:37 AM
This 'yellow line ripping' will occur as I move around my regions. I think I might have installed a 'background texture' a few weeks ago because the background is sometimes blue, sometimes black. I haven't seen the background texture in any of my downloaded folders so there, I'm stuck. Any other way to check for this? Certain file names to check?

This means that for some reason you have no Background.png in your Maxis\SimCity 4\Plugins folder. $%Grinno$%
Thats the cause of those "rip" you see

:satisfied:
TTC

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II