• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

ÆRDEN ~ new streets!

Started by vortext, May 31, 2013, 11:31:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nos.17

Quote from: vortext on September 28, 2016, 05:05:30 AM
So all things considered it's already clocking in at around 12 dependencies, and I actually do want to include flowers & bushes too. If you think I've overlooked some prop pack please let me know, but keep in mind it has to be High Definition props – no SD allowed! Also, I'd really like to have diagonal parking bays, too.  ::)

I definitely can't wait to see the progress on this one! I have been meaning to make my own to cover the base networks (+SAM), but have never gotten around to starting. This looks just like something I would use.

As for prop suggestions, try Neko's prop set vol01. There's guardrail, fences, planters, telephone poles/wires, manhole covers, etc. All HD too, I believe.

kbieniu7

Congratulations on your graduation!  &apls (By the way I've just don the same  ;D ) I don't know if you have already said it, but could I ask, what was your field of study? ;)

That's a nice photo, you've posted there. A lovely village in the middle of a rural landscape! I had the same, waiting until "I finally finish it" and eventually being finished by the project itself. So, some photos are worth showing, even if they are WIP - because sometimes viewers actually don't figure out, that an unfinished shot - like now in your update ;)

Regarding your modding, that's an impressive list! Are you really able to find enough time when you finally find a job? An european street-side mod would be an awesome addition especially, if seasonable. However, I'm skeptical about an idea of using seasonal flora there. You said, it would need to re-zone or re-build a street tile every autumn to fit in the "timetable" again. It would be very inconvienient in my opinion. Having a big city on a large square as a giant all-time-changing organism if someone is not using "historical" tool (although regarding myself, I'm using it)... well, just imagine.

So in my opinion - having timed-props, even if it means changing a specie every three months, is a better idea anyway.

À propos the video/streaming - I think that creating a video tutorial will be much better than streaming. I don't think if you could collect too many viewers at the same time - it'd be better to create a video tutorial, designed as a efited video, maybe with some cut-scenes, instead of a stream.

Whatever you choose - good luck and fingers crossed!  :)
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

mgb204

A seasonal / HD street side mod is something I think many would like to see, I've started on a similar project myself. Not surprised to see you are using many props from WASNL and Girafe here, the props you've selected should look great in any Euro Environment.  :thumbsup:

Seasonal Flora Families: I kinda knew they existed, but does that get around the problem of prop families? Where the trees can cycle through the family when seasons change? If so, I need to be using these myself. Because I was planning just to make multiple T21s as a solution, but families would be so much less work. I'm pretty sure that's the gist of what you were saying anyhow?

Quote from: kbieniu7 on October 01, 2016, 12:27:31 PM
However, I'm skeptical about an idea of using seasonal flora there. You said, it would need to re-zone or re-build a street tile every autumn to fit in the "timetable" again.

I think this simply means, if you draw a street/road with a seasonal T21, you won't see the trees until the next change in season. So if you re-draw the roads/streets, modify them (add an intersection, etc.) or a building changes, which alters the T21 used. You have to wait once again for the next season change, before the trees re-appear. I've some very early previews of a similar mod you can download, attached to this post. That should allow you to see how this works in practise. Whilst this behaviour isn't ideal, it's far from annoying. Personally, I'd hate to see say an Ash Tree in Autumn, become a Oak tree in Winter. So for me, this is absolutely the right way to go.

feyss

Seems I haven't posted here since a while.

Your work looks like an entire new SC4 add-on. You've got reat modding skills  :thumbsup: One question though, I'm a little bit curious: Are your towns functionals or 100% eye-candy ?

Regarding the T21 mod, I really think it's a nice idea. I'm looking forward to it. By the way, you chose a good selection of trees  :thumbsup: (I just say that because having giant sequoias or other conifers in a W2W cities as with some NWM side mods is quite annoying).

kelis

The overview of that village is just great ! I like your ability to create diagonals and curves, they give a fantastic touch to your pictures.
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

vortext

Time for the long overdue replies, but first of few remarks regarding the T21 and picture competition. With regard to the former, I can be brief because I simply forgot to mention an evergreen version will be available as well. Hopefully that'll quench some concerns regarding the seasonality (is that a word?! :D).

As for the picture competition, while I can certainly understand how 'banning' photoshop pictures from the competition can be perceived as restricting it, that's not how I intented it to come across. And to be clear I'm not opposed to photoshopped pictures, heck, I've indulged myself more than once. However, over the years I've seen this discussion regarding the picture competition more than once, too. And as I see it the biggest issue quite simply is consistent throughput. Or to put that even more bluntly, quantity trumps quality when it comes to the longevity of the competition and a healthy participation rate. Because as paradoxical as it may sound, too many times the competition gets stuck up on quality.

To clarify I'll consider a less contentious state of the competition than the current one, which was about two weeks ago when Alkallan won a round with an impressive, MMP filled mosaic. And then the competition stalled again and a week passed before anyone entered with another picture, why? Well, I can't speak for everybody but personally I didn't have any pictures up to par. Sure, I could enter a simple screenshot and probably get a few votes but I was highly likely to lose anyway. Now, is it fun to enter a competition where you're almost guaranteed a loss upfront? No, it's not. And likewise I don't feel it's worth the time to make a massive mosaic myself just to increase my change of winning in a head-to-head competition.

Quite some text already but I hope it's clearer where I was coming from, and why I'd favor leveling the playing field a bit. And also just to make sure once more: I'm not dismissing mosaics, or photoshopping, or whatever – far from it. However, seeing this discussion regarding eyecandy & photoshop flare up once more, and having given this some thought over the last few days I came up with a new idea – which isn't new at all since some of you already suggested it, I'm just shamelessly stealing it.  ;D

Namely, what about having two competitions? One would be for simple ingame screenshots which runs continuously, and pretty much under the current rules, i.e. head-to-head, 3 wins in a row is HoF, though limitations are up for discussion. Besides this 'daily' competition, we could introduce a new competition for extravagant pictures (mosaics, photoshops, ect) which could be held, say, once a month and with a prolonged voting period, e.g. over a weekend or something.

At any rate. Here's another picture of Haefwold to break this wall of text, and then it's onward to replies!

Note btw the replies are work in progress, going from oldest to newest so check back later if I haven't gotten around to yours yet.
All replies are up!  :)

Quote from: Vizoria on July 05, 2016, 04:21:59 PM
Became a classic after posting medieval entries. Makes sense.

&apls &apls &apls

Fantastic pictures and here is to seeing this medieval city/area completed.

Yeah, makes total sense, right?! Thanks!

Quote from: Akallan on July 07, 2016, 03:51:39 AM
Congratulations! This is a CJ who deserves to be seen by all! &apls ;D

Thanks for the kind words!

Quote from: kbieniu7 on July 17, 2016, 04:32:58 AM
Congratulations for being moved to Classics! Good luck with your gaming and batting projects! Now it's definetely time for your medieval city to grow into a powerful kingdom  :thumbsup:

Thank you! I agree it's time for the next phase, how to go about practically remains to be seen tho/  :-\

Quote from: noahclem on July 17, 2016, 12:22:26 PM
Huge congrats on such a well-earned promotion to the Classics  :bnn: &dance :squirrel:

I had a chance to catch up on the most recent goings on here a few days ago and very much enjoyed it. Your unique style of playing, modding, and presenting, along with your immense skill, set Ærden apart and I'd consider it among SC4D's biggest assets. Great work and cheers to the next 500 posts!

Thank you Noah!

Quote from: Tyberius06 on September 21, 2016, 10:23:07 AM
Oh, very nice little village. And those future plans :)
I can't wait for the cobble stone streets/road :) They are very nice and I could deffinitly use them. :)
Any tutorial would be nice and very welcome. Especially as the most of the tutorials are quite broken on the site because of the dead pictures. :(

Anyway nice to see you are active and have such a nice plans... :)  :popcorn: &apls

Thanks, it helps to know people will actually use them!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: Themistokles on September 21, 2016, 10:28:08 AM
First of all, a belated congratulation to the very well deserved move! :) And that image is simply wonderful. It looks so well constructed and lay-outed and real and stuff. &apls

And, by the way, all those projects sound breath-taking. They'd make it so much easier to build realistic cities.

Thank you! And yeah, I'm hoping to add a touch of realism without too much work (for the user that is!  :D).

Quote from: belfastsocrates on September 28, 2016, 05:18:17 AM
So regarding the picture competition, Tyberius made a good point. It's daunting to put a snapshot of your latest work up against a highly polished, multi-tile-spanning mosaic. To me it seems quite obvious that to invigorate the competition the threshold the entry needs to be lowered one way or another. So I was thinking, as an experiment, what if we tighten the rules a bit: no photoshop, nor mosaics allowed.

Now, this may seem counter-intuitive but imho it will level the playing field somewhat. As in, pictures will be judged on individual SC4 building skills, and composition of said picture. Both these skills can be trained with time, and do not depend on whether you have access to, say, photoshop. And yes, I realize there's gimp, and you can train polishing skill as well but that's is besides the point I'm trying to make – which I hope comes across because I also realize I'm rambling a bit. :D

Anyway, another idea. Since we're having the like system in place, what if we used that for voting? Say, the first picture to reach 10 likes wins? yes, no, maybe? Discuss.  "$Deal"$

I agree completely.

There's always a place for photoshop and mosaics, perhaps every other month we dedicate that month for the showcasing of photoshop work or mosaics? That way everyone gets to take part?

Not sure about using 'likes' the current simple way of indicating a preference is quick and easy enough IMO

Fabulous work in regard to the T21 mod utilising HD props as well, very very exciting!

As you can see I shamelessly pretended your idea was mine, hope you don't mind!  ;D But yeah, I think once a month mosaic photoshop extravaganza would be a good idea, and have an ongoing competition which is strictly screenshots only. Thanks for the input!  :thumbsup:

Quote from: matias93 on September 28, 2016, 07:05:12 AM
About the picture competition, I remember there was a similar discussion on simtropolis about the huge assymetry between contestants' skills, and one of the ideas that rised was to separate the contest on some kind of leagues, even if that division has its cons too.

Now, about that magical and perfect idea of a T21 mod, it is evident that a landmark mod is in construction here, and unless get some portable liquid nitrogen cooler, I wouldn't be capable to use it: so much HD seasonal props are not a thing a humble work-oriented laptop could manage.
Only one thought about the method for updating the trees: even if is a very intuitive way to do it, it would be fatal for players that use network tags, because they get erased irreversibly when networks are updated, even only with wealth changes. Maybe a warning would be useful to avoid alarmed comments.

Yeah imho splitting the competition into two leagues would be a good way to address the current concerns with regards to highly polished pictures versus quick screencap. Honestly I think it'd also be more satisfying for the 'skilled' players, so to speak, because it's little fun being in a competition where no one is going to challenge your picture. As for the seasonal trees, there will be an evergreen variant as well so you can call off the order for a liquid nitrogen cooler.  :D

Quote from: michae95l on September 28, 2016, 08:45:37 AM
I would oppose the change.
There is one simple reason for this stance: "SC4 Picture Competition" implies it is about the image as a whole, including photoshop edits and mosaics. If you want to judge city building skills, a competition named, "SC4 City Building Competition" would be more appropriate.
The Picture competition is not just, and should not just be about the quality of the city, it should be about the quality of the image, and in a competition, there will always be better and less-good entries.
Photoshop and mosaics widen the reach this competition, and banning them outright, I belive,  would but put a lot of users off. I'm aware of very few CJ/MD that has never enhanced any of their images, and why because they want to make the best pictures. The best pictures, for the Picture competition.

And a word on the T21 mod - It looks like it could a fantastic mod. I will definitely be using it, if you release it!

Yeah that's a fair point. Narrowing the scope of the competition by splitting it into two competitions does run the risk of, well, both competitions not working properly. However as I said, over the years it's been my observation that more often than not the competition tends to stall on a high quality picture simply because people don't want to loose 'by default' so to speak. And even if they have a highly polished picture themselves I reckon most will hold out because of the 'all or nothing' nature of it - at least I've been guilty of doing so in the past.

Quote from: APSMS on September 28, 2016, 08:58:52 AM
Not so sure about changing the rules, but I can say that unless likes are time stamped, I would say they are not the way to go, since many times posters even now forget the rules about time limits, and it would be very difficult to discern the winner if people vote after the fact, or at least, after the requisite 24 hours, especially in cases of ties.

The biggest benefit, besides exemplar saving, that I can see with seasonal flora is that the trees don't change as they might when using a timed prop family (for variety). The tree remains the same. It will, however, still be pretty annoying. I suspect I'm going to using that historical button significantly more than I already do just to keep the trees from going out of sync making me redraw everything.

Still excited about the idea, though. We've needed a good HD street mod for a while now.

Ha yes, that's a good point about timestamps on likes. Clearly I hadn't thought it through. Disregard the idea, repeat, disregard it.  :D  And yep, you hit the nail on the head, trees will remain the same type throughout the seasons though admittedly it's a bit annoying when they're out of sync.

Quote from: Themistokles on September 28, 2016, 12:20:47 PM
HD streetside T21 mod... I'm all for it :thumbsup: (Regarding seasonality, I'm personally not using it so much because, yes, in SC4 I'm something of a control freak. I want my trees to be when I want them, where I want them and as I want them. With seasonal trees, for that's way too much going back and forth between the seasons for me. But it's your mod, you make it the way you want. :) )

On the matter of the Picture competition I agree with michae95l, I think the picture competition should be for all images, whether they're edited or not is a stylistic choice. And as I like to like posts because I like them, would I be liked or disliked if I'd like both competitor's images? :P Seriously though, I'd like to like also the image I end up not voting for, just to send a signal of appreciation of their hard work, too.

Really interesting discussion raised though! I'm happily surprised to see how much has been going on over here the latest days.

Yeah it's an interesting discussion. With regards to the trees, I'm wondering would evergreen trees be an option for you? Or did you mean you don't like semi-randomized street trees at all?

Quote from: Akallan on September 28, 2016, 12:33:27 PM
I'm like you about the trees Themistokles! :P

In terms of images, of the same opinion that michae95l. To each his own style!
You can create a subject image contest where one is free to do whatever we want, without rules. And create another image contest where there there are rules to regulate and bring everyone to the same level.

Well, than I've got the same question for you as I had for Themistokles!  :D  And with regards to the competition, that's basically what I was - and am - proposing. Two competitions: one free-for-all photoshop mania, and one head-to-head with some limitations imposed to level the playing field. 

Quote from: korver on September 28, 2016, 01:13:40 PM
Well, originally I posted some of my thoughts into the SC4 Picture competition thread, but wasn't really sure if that was the right place and didn't want to get too off topic so I edited them out. But anyways, I still think that there needs to be some drastic changes so I'll share what's on my mind..

Probably the number one complaint I have is the severe lack of pictures being inducted into the HOF these days. I took a look at the HOF and how many pictures were inducted per year - I believe the high water mark was 2008 where we had 128. In recent years, we've had 12 in 2014, 4 in 2015, and only 2 this year. I know the player base is smaller, but there's virtually no representation from recent years - which is a real shame, considering how far the game has progressed, with all the newer buildings and mods being released and whatnot.

I think that Michael brought up a great point. Putting more limitations on the Best Picture competition probably won't help, and there's the very real chance it could backfire even more. And besides, many people in the past already were posting unedited pictures and the competition was stalling for months at a time. I predict we'll still see the exact same scenario play out, with overall activity remaining very similar to what it is right now.

Originally I suggested a couple of changes to the SC4 Picture competition to hopefully alleviate some of these issues, like lowering rounds from 3 to 2, putting in some sort of safeguard to stop the competition from stalling for months on end - it might help some, but more than likely the competition will still remain pretty stagnant. I just wish there was a better way to get current pictures better representation in the HOF. Now, I don't know the exact number of pictures that should be inducted.. but the current pace that we're at, with 2-4 pictures being inducted yearly, isn't enough..

I think one possible solution is to supplement the Best picture competition with something else so we can get more pictures inducted. Maybe there could be some sort of alternate competition where each user can submit one picture - no restrictions on photoshop, mosaics, or anything else. Once we get X amount of pictures submitted, or after an allotted amount of time, users can "like" the pictures they believe are HOF worthy. The top 5 pictures with the most likes get inducted to the HOF. Keep on doing this periodically until a healthy amount of pictures are inducted yearly. I know it's similar to the ST Challenges (but without being so strict in regards to subject matter, so that should hopefully attract more attention) - but IMO it just makes much more sense for this day and age. You also don't have to worry about one particular user "overtaking" competitions or scaring away other people too much - since they can only submit 1 picture and everyone else will have a chance.

yeah I agree with you on pretty much all points. As I said throughput is most definitely the biggest issue to keep the competition running over a prolonged period, hence my idea to impose some limitation so to lower the bar to entry. And as you said, I reckon the head-to-head nature plays a role as well - as in people don't want to submit a picture they're actually proud of until they deem there's a good chance of winning. An alternative competition, free to enter for all is certainly an option.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: nos.17 on September 29, 2016, 01:45:36 PM
So all things considered it's already clocking in at around 12 dependencies, and I actually do want to include flowers & bushes too. If you think I've overlooked some prop pack please let me know, but keep in mind it has to be High Definition props – no SD allowed! Also, I'd really like to have diagonal parking bays, too.  ::)

I definitely can't wait to see the progress on this one! I have been meaning to make my own to cover the base networks (+SAM), but have never gotten around to starting. This looks just like something I would use.

As for prop suggestions, try Neko's prop set vol01. There's guardrail, fences, planters, telephone poles/wires, manhole covers, etc. All HD too, I believe.

Ha yes good suggestion! Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Congratulations on your graduation!  &apls (By the way I've just don the same  ;D ) I don't know if you have already said it, but could I ask, what was your field of study? ;)

That's a nice photo, you've posted there. A lovely village in the middle of a rural landscape! I had the same, waiting until "I finally finish it" and eventually being finished by the project itself. So, some photos are worth showing, even if they are WIP - because sometimes viewers actually don't figure out, that an unfinished shot - like now in your update ;)

Regarding your modding, that's an impressive list! Are you really able to find enough time when you finally find a job? An european street-side mod would be an awesome addition especially, if seasonable. However, I'm skeptical about an idea of using seasonal flora there. You said, it would need to re-zone or re-build a street tile every autumn to fit in the "timetable" again. It would be very inconvienient in my opinion. Having a big city on a large square as a giant all-time-changing organism if someone is not using "historical" tool (although regarding myself, I'm using it)... well, just imagine.

So in my opinion - having timed-props, even if it means changing a specie every three months, is a better idea anyway.

À propos the video/streaming - I think that creating a video tutorial will be much better than streaming. I don't think if you could collect too many viewers at the same time - it'd be better to create a video tutorial, designed as a efited video, maybe with some cut-scenes, instead of a stream.

Whatever you choose - good luck and fingers crossed!  :)

Hm good question regarding time & job, I guess time will tell!  :D As for seasonal flora vs. props, you raise good points though with some consideration for how the game operates (e.g. actually zone low density for suburbs) and some patience for a neighborhood to develop it isn't that bad imho. Another reason why the flora route is beneficial is that I'll end up with a complete set of flora exemplars. .  ::)

Quote from: mgb204 on October 01, 2016, 07:08:13 PM
A seasonal / HD street side mod is something I think many would like to see, I've started on a similar project myself. Not surprised to see you are using many props from WASNL and Girafe here, the props you've selected should look great in any Euro Environment.  :thumbsup:

Seasonal Flora Families: I kinda knew they existed, but does that get around the problem of prop families? Where the trees can cycle through the family when seasons change? If so, I need to be using these myself. Because I was planning just to make multiple T21s as a solution, but families would be so much less work. I'm pretty sure that's the gist of what you were saying anyhow?

However, I'm skeptical about an idea of using seasonal flora there. You said, it would need to re-zone or re-build a street tile every autumn to fit in the "timetable" again.

I think this simply means, if you draw a street/road with a seasonal T21, you won't see the trees until the next change in season. So if you re-draw the roads/streets, modify them (add an intersection, etc.) or a building changes, which alters the T21 used. You have to wait once again for the next season change, before the trees re-appear. I've some very early previews of a similar mod you can download, attached to this post. That should allow you to see how this works in practise. Whilst this behaviour isn't ideal, it's far from annoying. Personally, I'd hate to see say an Ash Tree in Autumn, become a Oak tree in Winter. So for me, this is absolutely the right way to go.

Yes, it gets around the issue with prop families indeed, though the downside it the winter shadow issue which is inherent with flora. And yeah, the ideal solution is to make an individual T21 per tree with timed props, so to have best of both worlds (i.e. correct shadows, and static tree throughout the year). In fact, I've done that in the past, and actually considered doing that now as well. However a rough estimate put the number of T21s well into the hundreds so, yeah, that's a no-go, even for a perfectionist like myself!  :D

Quote from: feyss on October 03, 2016, 07:24:56 AM
Seems I haven't posted here since a while.

Your work looks like an entire new SC4 add-on. You've got reat modding skills  :thumbsup: One question though, I'm a little bit curious: Are your towns functionals or 100% eye-candy ?

Regarding the T21 mod, I really think it's a nice idea. I'm looking forward to it. By the way, you chose a good selection of trees  :thumbsup: (I just say that because having giant sequoias or other conifers in a W2W cities as with some NWM side mods is quite annoying).

Thanks for stopping by! And yes, my cities are fully 100% functional! Though I do make use of functional landmarks quite a bit. I might make an update sometime on the functional aspects?  &Thk/(

Quote from: kelis on October 03, 2016, 09:23:34 AM
The overview of that village is just great ! I like your ability to create diagonals and curves, they give a fantastic touch to your pictures.

Thanks for the kind words Jonathan!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

noahclem

Lovely picture  &apls  While I can sympathize with you losing some enthusiasm for your project I'm certainly ready for plenty more of AErden--what you've done here is both unique and startlingly impressive.

Going the flora route with the T21s is an interesting call but if it allows you to accomplish what you're after better than I'm sure it's the way to go and I'm certainly not qualified to second guess you in these kinds of areas :D

As for the picture competition, I think there's been a consensus that some change is needed for a long time but I'm still not sure what that could be. If one thread is struggling to stay active then two threads could very well make the problem worse. To be honest almost all my pictures in that thread have been 'shopped but usually it's only for traffic, etc. Dividing that from more drastic changes could be a bit tricky. My thought is that the best way forward (though there could be multiple, simultaneous ways forward too) would be making voting more accessible: being able to do so with a click versus a post should drive voting up and I've been thinking for a while that having it somehow as part of the front page would be awesome (maybe hover over each picture to see full size and have an option to click for one's favorite without leaving the page). Changes in how to qualify for HoF could help as well. We could set a percentage of winners that should get HoF status and put them to a later vote, for example. We could even try to do something like that this November for the birthday month....

compdude787

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Silur

Hi, Vortext ...
Always love Your works!!!
Your diagonal houses are LM or real Residental with Id and CS connections? Thank You.

APSMS

Quote from: feyss on October 03, 2016, 07:24:56 AM
Vortext and Simcoug (of New Sorgun fame) share an affinity for fully functional cities. It's a level of dedication far beyond my commitment to the game, but seeing their stuff always makes me want to try (until I actually do, and then I realize that I might do my desk (and head) a favor if I don't :D).

As re: the Picture Competition, It would be interesting to leave the current one as is, and then use a second competition for only functional, unedited city pictures. So anyone could compete, but no Photoshop, no eye-candy only scenes, and no mosaics (?). This would still give a degree of freedom for experienced players, as well as encourage newer players with no photoshop or MMP skills. I'm not sure this would alleviate the primary problem, but short of having a Vanilla only competition (which would get attention from all of 2 players) and a beginners-only thread (what defines a beginner), I think this would be the only feasible way to open up the thread to less intense/perfection oriented players.

Personally I do almost no photoediting to my pictures, and it would be nice to have a place where only your skill as a city builder was challenged, rather than your Photoshop skills (which, I have to admit, in korver's place seem to be phenomenal). Obviously attention to detail is still key, but we don't really have the user base to set up dedicated challenges like ST, and even ST has problems sometimes with participation, nor do I think it's ideal to set up something highly regulated (like a monthly contest). I like the idea of a prolonged voting period, but I'm not sure we have the manpower or userbase to set up something that structured.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Silur

Re: APSMS
MMP is part of SC4 and has nothing to do with Photoshop . This is the tool for the real job. This is for closing holes in SC4 lots. It requires less work with some lots.  :bnn:

APSMS

Quote from: Silur on October 22, 2016, 04:14:00 PM
Re: APSMS
MMP is part of SC4 and has nothing to do with Photoshop . This is the tool for the real job. This is for closing holes in SC4 lots. It requires less work with some lots.  :bnn:
Yes, I agree, MMP is indeed a significant part of the game (and is separate from Photoshop, which is why I mentioned it separately). However, the point of my suggestion is that we have one competition that showcases only functional cities, so MMP scenes can stay in the normal competition.

I admire MMP skills, but you have to admit there is a certain degree of skill and time effort involved in their use. The idea is how to get more people to participate in the Picture Competition if the bar is set so high, and one way to do this is to focus on actually playing the simulation (i.e. economy, residential + jobs, no LE based cities). It is only a suggestion, and one that was aimed at a separate contest, rather than the main one as a way to get newer less experienced players involved and help them up their game, so to speak.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Silur

kbieniu7

Hah, that's almost the same photo. It's just turned 90 degrees and in autumn colours, who you want to trick?  :P You'll make as you wish with your mod. Good luck!  :)

A propos de picture competition. Maybe, it would be a good idea to set the border between in-game and photoshop- and other-external-help-allowing photos. However, lack of MMPs seems for me to be a little bit too far limitation.

kelis

Love it !! Still in love with those diagonals  $%Grinno$%

Perhaps a bigger square in front of that little church could be a good addition  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

vortext

So, it's no secret I've gotten a bit bored with the region, however, last week I've spend a couple of evening just exploring the region, looking over old plans and yeah, that sparked the enthusiasm to continue. Funny thing is, the region as it is at the moment is almost the inverse of where I stranded previously with Enseade - as detailed here. That is to say, Enseade was 'the big city' in an otherwise empty region, while Traelonisk is the 'small satellite' city properly embedded in the region. Or to put that in other words, I still have to actually get started with the 'big capital grandiose metropolis' I've always wanted to build! :D

Anyway. I really enjoyed looking at Traelonisk and just soaking in the atmosphere, so to speak, and I actually took some pictures! Yay. Now, apart from some very obvious mosaic artifacts I did not bother with polish. Enjoy!  :)

ps: click pictures for fullsize.

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

kbieniu7

Why you don't want to bother with Polish? :( When, we've just shared a medieval town gate from Kraków that, I believe, would perfectly fit into your grandiose capital :(

http://www.simcitypolska.pl/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=492

Just joking, I know the English language enough, I know what the second meaning of "polish" is ;P

When I looked at the first and second photo, my first thought was: "dear God, how much smoke and air pollution", haha! I read about your words about looking and "soaking" into a region and I perfectly understand you. I had the same with mine, sometimes I like to watch it, see the towns and villages I've built and sometimes haven't visited for months or years, looking at the market squares, churches, roads etc. Even if it may sound a little bit narcissistic of us  :D

Sometimes I see, I've built a big history about the region inside of my head, but I always wonder, how to present it to the others, so it won't be boring nor chaotic  :-\

manga rivotra

QuoteAnyway. I really enjoyed looking at Traelonisk and just soaking in the atmosphere, so to speak, and I actually took some pictures! Yay
And i enjoy these pics a lot too !  ;D
Great job with these little vegetable garden and this beautiful little medieval port. The historic atmosphere is perfectly rendered. &apls &apls

FrankU

Vizoria

Good stuff! Those textures of yours are fabulous!