• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

io_bg

Something odd (at least to me ;D). Any ideas how to fix it? Is it because of the nearby Elrai over road pieces?

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

kassarc16

Regarding the elevated road models:
I'm not sure how easy it would be to do, but I'd prefer Swamper's El-RHW models; they just seem to fit better.

Tarkus

Quote from: kassarc16 on August 09, 2009, 06:03:45 PM
Regarding the elevated road models:
I'm not sure how easy it would be to do, but I'd prefer Swamper's El-RHW models; they just seem to fit better.

Funny you should mention that . . . I had actually started retrofitting Swamper's models for that purpose awhile back.

I basically switched the concrete barrier texture over to the Elevated Rail guardrail texture on the railing there.

-Alex

sithlrd98

kassarc16

Awesome! I had the thought awhile back, but never got around mentioning it until SC4BOY brought up the El-road models. One step ahead as always. 
&apls  :thumbsup:

dragonshardz

That does look better!

io_bg: I dunno maybe redraw the RHW?

io_bg

I redrew it a few times, but this doesn't solve the problem ()sad()

Tarkus  - Looks great &apls
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Bottesford

Hi I'm new to NAM/RHW and after much reading & chronic headbashing have decided to post.
I'm trying to make a basic diamond interchange using the raised junction pieces (in this case road to EMIS 4 way).
Having placed the 4 way EMIS to road piece I am now unable to insert the MIS elevated to ground ramps - they just will not place at all.
Here's what I mean using a very basic test example (minus the bridge and RHW road but its the same when doing it properly):
OK lined up as I want it...

Now move a tile nearer - and it flips direction. Pressing Home key only gives this direction or 180 degrees and not the way I want it.

Another tile nearer and still no joy:

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?
I've tried a completely fresh install of the game, freshly installed NAM/RHW using default options, in a new city in a new region. No joy.
It's the same with ON or OFF ramps and on either side of the EMIS junction. Also same for elevated avenues & one way streets.

Are there any basic guides that include exactly what piece to select & exactly what buttons to press? I'm certainly no novice user and I'm always one to read help files etc. but having now spent hours messing around with this I'm getting a little fed up!

MandelSoft

Slopes could be the problem. Level the surface and try again.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

z

Often the order of placement of the pieces makes a differences.  Try placing the ramp first, and then the intersection piece.

Bottesford

Levelled it - no change.
Can place ramp, then place junction but of course then the ramp the other side won't fit! Also the junction is always the wrong way round (meaning Home must be pressed). Now that makes me feel that the pieces are not linking correctly. Does NAM/RHW have any 'logic' as far as trying to link to other pieces sensibly? Or are you literally just forcing things together and hoping the road works at the end?

z

I don't understand the reasoning behind all of this, but it's encouraging to hear that changing the order of placement works.  This should work completely if you place both ramps first, then slide the intersection piece in between them.  Give that a try and let us know how it works.

Tarkus

Also, you need to place the ramp piece one tile away from the intersection.  There's a one "starter piece" on each end of the ramp, one for the ground-level MIS and one for the elevated MIS.  Things should line up properly then.

-Alex

Bottesford

Quote from: Tarkus on August 10, 2009, 12:43:13 PM
Also, you need to place the ramp piece one tile away from the intersection.  There's a one "starter piece" on each end of the ramp, one for the ground-level MIS and one for the elevated MIS.  Things should line up properly then.

-Alex

Yes OK but I can't get within two tiles before it flips another direction. This is the nearest I can get:

And how about this - just trying to create a simple bridge & ramps. I've done it once absolutely fine- but move along the same straight piece of RHW-6C road, in a totally flat area and we get this:

OK then..

And off it goes again...
I've had the same with simple exit ramp stubs - they work fine until they hit a certain area then just simply won't place where you want them almost like there's some sort of forcefield in place in that area.
I keep thinking my game files are screwed (hence the earlier reinstall) as this seems very, very hard to get the hang of. I'm a computer programmer so am very used to these sorts of challenges but this has really thrown me! Please tell me I'm missing something simple...  ()what()

Tarkus

The ground you're trying to lay those pieces on is actually very bumpy, too, from looking at those screenshots.  It's by no means "totally flat".  The starter piece ends are very sensitive to slopes (particularly if you've got a slope mod installed), so that's probably a large part of the issue there.  You can get back into God Mode by holding Ctrl-Alt-Shift while clicking the God Mode icon--you can access the more powerful leveling tool that way.

Also, you might want to try dragging with the RHW tool out of that Elevated MIS Ramp starter.  You might be able to connect it to the intersection that way.

-Alex

z

I agree with Alex - your ground doesn't look completely level, and it's been my experience that using the leveling tools will often fix problems such as the ones you have displayed.

deathtopumpkins

Just flatten the tiles you want to plop the ramp(s) on using the road tool.  ;)
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Rady

I experienced the same like z described with some other onramps of the puzzle pieces too (e.g. the elevated heavy rail).  You definitely need to place

FIRST: the onramp puzzle piece
SECOND: the offramp puzzle piece
LAST: the remaining puzzle pieces in between

(Of course the placement order of the on- and offramp is exchangebale  ;D)

Won't work out the other way for me.

EDIT: This way I even don't have to take care of terrain levelling (I would do anyway due to optical reasons)
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps

Bottesford

OK thanks everyone - glad it's just me and not something wrong with my install!
Quite a lot of learning & fiddling around to be done before any impressive interchanges can be made - will certainly need plenty of money in the bank for the repeated building & smashing down as you go.
Certainly makes me appreciate some of the fancy interchanges I've seen on here - they must have taken hours/days and no doubt with a hell of a lot of swearing!
Anyway will give it all a go later when not at work.

Rady

Quote from: Bottesford on August 11, 2009, 01:52:39 AM
OK thanks everyone - glad it's just me and not something wrong with my install!
Quite a lot of learning & fiddling around to be done before any impressive interchanges can be made - will certainly need plenty of money in the bank for the repeated building & smashing down as you go.
Certainly makes me appreciate some of the fancy interchanges I've seen on here - they must have taken hours/days and no doubt with a hell of a lot of swearing!
Anyway will give it all a go later when not at work.

Don't worry - was the same with me. My first el-rail nearly ended my city in a financal fiasco :'(. I placed the stations first, than thought I would now simply drag the rail across and that's it. Actually I needed to demolish and start over a few times unless I figured out how to flatten the terrain correctly in order to connect the rail to the station. And the same for normal rail, puzzle pieces, highway junctions ...

However, once you're over that, you will LOVE IT .. believe me ;D
If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.

Visit my BAT thread: Slow BAT steady - Rady's first BAT attemtps