• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM: El-Rail over Avenue

Started by memo, March 08, 2013, 09:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDO29Anagram

Enough progress has been done such that both ELR over Avenue and ELR over RD-4 will be made available. Both have their own perks, and people can decide for themselves on what to use.

Quote from: Kuewr665 on November 01, 2013, 05:35:39 PM
I thought both would be done.

Also, I do not think an avenue is under that railroad; maybe a creek. That reminds me of a few parts of Line 2 in Seoul.

I think it's an ELR over RD in between two OWRs.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Kuewr665

Ah, you may be right. I see a few cars there.

jdenm8

Quote from: Meeston on November 01, 2013, 12:23:04 PM
the El-Rail over RD-4 is not possible in the real world.

Various sections of the Chicago El would disagree with you.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

APSMS

Quote from: Meeston on November 02, 2013, 04:25:04 AM
Quote from: jdenm8 on November 02, 2013, 03:41:33 AM
Quote from: Meeston on November 01, 2013, 12:23:04 PM
the El-Rail over RD-4 is not possible in the real world.
Various sections of the Chicago El would disagree with you.
it's only Chicago. but other cities don't have El-Rail over RD-4.

Let's not pick hairs here. Most cities in the world do not even have EL-Rail over road, much less any sort of El-Rail to speak of. And Chicago has a ridiculous abundance of EL-Rail over road widths of all types (New York also has a bunch, if I'm not mistaken, but it's not as prominent a feature of their MT system). So I think it best to just acknowledge that perhaps your comment was really poorly worded and perhaps also 9 months late. I would read the thread (or some of it) before posting, as both pictures and discussion on development would have answered your comment very quickly.

A question to memo: have transition pieces from TIA to ELRoAVE (and others) been created for direct integration into our cities, or is the mod currently isolated?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

Swordmaster

There's a transition from TIR to EL over RD, so that's where you could connect the two. The piece you describe doesn't exist (yet), but I wouldn't call the network isolated.

Cheers
Willy

Meeston

i find another photo. but at this time it's a El-Rail over Avenue. this is the Manila LRT Purple Line. also created in the middle of a Avenue.
this is Meeston. the best SimCity gamer.

Kuewr665

Looks like light rail over Ave-6.

droric

I have a night render to post as promised.  Let me know what you guys think.

PC Specs: i2700k @ 4.9 Ghz, 16 GB @ 1600-8-9-8-16, 2X GTX 580 SLI, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R, 120 GB Vertex 3 SDD, 3 TB RAID1, 1200W SilentGold, Antec P180B case, Win 8 x64 Pro

strucka

Awesome job!  &apls

P.S.: Just one architectural comment. It would be far better if a station like this would have the passage between platforms underneath them. This way there is less walking.

Swordmaster

I think you nailed it Mark. Looks perfect.

Cheers
Willy

Kuewr665

Indiana Joe

Quote from: strucka on November 02, 2013, 02:57:40 PM
Awesome job!  &apls

P.S.: Just one architectural comment. It would be far better if a station like this would have the passage between platforms underneath them. This way there is less walking.

It's called the ground.   ;)  There are doors on the bottom...you walk out, and go to the other side.

Meeston

Quote from: Kuewr665 on November 02, 2013, 09:23:50 AM
Looks like light rail over Ave-6.
i think you right. i know that is a El-Rail over AVE-6.
this is Meeston. the best SimCity gamer.

strucka

Quote from: Indiana Joe on November 02, 2013, 09:28:09 PM
Quote from: strucka on November 02, 2013, 02:57:40 PM
Awesome job!  &apls

It's called the ground.   ;)  There are doors on the bottom...you walk out, and go to the other side.

Yes of course! But, in this situation, the ground is 15m lower. That is 5 storeys of steps, or by a slow elevator.

droric

The sim's either walk up the stairs or they take an elevator.  In a real life situation there isn't much reason to use the overpass since you normally would just enter the station from the other side.  The station's overpass is more for handicap people and to cross lines to transfer.  Most traffic comes up the stairs and right to the platform.  If it is assumed that most traffic enters at street level and only traffic entering from the platform uses the overpass then there is no advantage to having the overpass under the station platform.  I can't do anything about the fact that the El-Rail is 4 stories up in Simcity 4 land that is simply how Maxis created the game and the original scale.  A little exercise never hurt the sims!

Thanks everyone for your kind comments!  I am also welcoming any photos of any other stations that might be suitable for the Simcity landscape that will fit on these networks.

PC Specs: i2700k @ 4.9 Ghz, 16 GB @ 1600-8-9-8-16, 2X GTX 580 SLI, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R, 120 GB Vertex 3 SDD, 3 TB RAID1, 1200W SilentGold, Antec P180B case, Win 8 x64 Pro

APSMS

Quote from: strucka on November 03, 2013, 06:56:06 AM
Yes of course! But, in this situation, the ground is 15m lower. That is 5 storeys of steps, or by a slow elevator.

Well, the ground is 15m lower, but Sims are .8 meters taller (2.5m), so it's not really 5 storys worth to them. Droric, it looks good. Are you going to release a Darknite version as well? The MTA on the side would be potentially story breaking, but it's a good enough BAT that I think it ought to stay (to preempt any criticism on that end).

droric

Quote from: APSMS on November 03, 2013, 09:26:47 AM
Quote from: strucka on November 03, 2013, 06:56:06 AM

Well, the ground is 15m lower, but Sims are .8 meters taller (2.5m), so it's not really 5 storys worth to them. Droric, it looks good. Are you going to release a Darknite version as well? The MTA on the side would be potentially story breaking, but it's a good enough BAT that I think it ought to stay (to preempt any criticism on that end).

I do not have any plans to release a darknite version but I guess I didn't really consider it either.  I don't follow your comment about the MTA on the side being 'story breaking'.

APSMS

Well, for CJs, at least. In the region I've been working on, MTA was dropped ages ago, and the transit dept. changed to SDART first, and then SMART (San diego Metropolitan Area Rapid Transit). That's what I meant. I wouldn't worry about it, though. The station actually looks better for having the lettering, probably because so many stations are often devoid of such marking (especially in SC4).

Indiana Joe

Quote from: APSMS on November 03, 2013, 10:10:47 AM
Well, for CJs, at least. In the region I've been working on, MTA was dropped ages ago, and the transit dept. changed to SDART first, and then SMART (San diego Metropolitan Area Rapid Transit). That's what I meant. I wouldn't worry about it, though. The station actually looks better for having the lettering, probably because so many stations are often devoid of such marking (especially in SC4).

You have to remember that he's trying to model it precisely after the Morgan-Lake station.  So he won't be adding or taking away anything.  It's like asking a BATer to remove the "Wal-Mart" logo from a Wal-Mart BAT.  It's a real-life BAT, not a generic one.

The challenge is to somehow incorporate it into your city journal.   ;)

z

Quote from: Indiana Joe on November 03, 2013, 10:55:10 AM
You have to remember that he's trying to model it precisely after the Morgan-Lake station.  So he won't be adding or taking away anything.  It's like asking a BATer to remove the "Wal-Mart" logo from a Wal-Mart BAT.  It's a real-life BAT, not a generic one.

Good analogy. :thumbsup: