• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Joelyboy's Downunder Stuff - Air NZ Engineering Services

Started by joelyboy911, November 09, 2009, 10:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thingfishs

&apls &apls Awesome. Only 20 minutes ago (I kid you not) I was saying to a mate (in a conversation prompted by fayrov's anz buillding) that it would be even better to have the regular banks and that all you'd need to do is one and then change the textures for westpac etc. and then BAM here they are. And they look fantastic. Massively appreciated!

-The only one missing is the (red & white) National Bank (I gather your National Bank is the NZ version?) If you can be stuffed...
Banks are one of the most ubiquitous buildings in the urban landscape. And they go to a lot of effort to stand out (ANZ's trademarked shade of blue for eg.) So for us that have grown up surrounded by these, I would wager there are few things that would have as much impact. Nicely done!

(hmm, maybe even one of the big credit unions could fit the same format...)

-oh & nice work on your first building BAT &apls

Diggis

Ohhh, I like that one.  Very NZ bank in the 70's.  :thumbsup:  So many examples of them around Christchurch.  Many of the same comments apply, and I always forget about making the ground floor higher.  :(

Again, the windows for me are the biggest cuplrit...

I know there is a tutorial about my JBsimio on good techniques for windows and floors, I think it hasn't been publicly posted, but I'll bug him again about it.  It basically changes the floor pattern to a series of random images (he uses billboards) and then adds opacity to the windows so they show up.    Then when you add lights for night, they also look like objects in the rooms.

Finally, on Canopies... I'm with out on that, done well, they could add a lot to the game.  A good example of what I was talking about can be found here: Queenstown, NZ where the architect Michael Wyatt has interspersed glass canopies over the main entrances with solid canopies between.  (I use this one in particular as I used to work in there and worked on the design for the landscaping out side)  Details like this would serve SC4 models quite well as they are realistic and also show off the ground floor.  And modeled correctly, with tight LODs under the canopy you could have it overhanging the sidewalk nicely.

Oh, and for a first building, fantastic start, and I'm glad you have taken my comments well and are keen to improve on the models rather than rush them out.  They are good, with some more work they'll be great.

joelyboy911

Quote from: RippleJet on December 01, 2009, 05:19:54 AM
I would recommend that you make the first floor taller than the second floor.
The pedestrian sims are quite tall in the game... and I would hate to see them hit their heads in your canopy. ::)
By raising the entrance floor you might also be able to get the first floor to show under that canopy.

Will do, or... rather... have done.

Thanks Tage, I sure hope the sims don't hit their head...

@ Thingfishs Thanks. Yeah the green National Bank is the New Zealand one. I would like to do more varieties, but I could go on for ages with all the banks from Australia and New Zealand. I thought the ones I had now were balanced. BNZ and National are from New Zealand, Suncorp and Commonwealth are in Australia while Westpac and ANZ belong to both. If you personally want that red and white one, I could render it for you and give it to you, but I don't really want to put any more companies in the set. Sorry.  ()sad()

Quote from: Diggis on December 01, 2009, 05:59:51 AM
Ohhh, I like that one.  Very NZ bank in the 70's.  :thumbsup:  So many examples of them around Christchurch.  Many of the same comments apply, and I always forget about making the ground floor higher.  :(

Again, the windows for me are the biggest cuplrit...

I know there is a tutorial about my JBsimio on good techniques for windows and floors, I think it hasn't been publicly posted, but I'll bug him again about it.  It basically changes the floor pattern to a series of random images (he uses billboards) and then adds opacity to the windows so they show up.    Then when you add lights for night, they also look like objects in the rooms.

Finally, on Canopies... I'm with out on that, done well, they could add a lot to the game.  A good example of what I was talking about can be found here: Queenstown, NZ where the architect Michael Wyatt has interspersed glass canopies over the main entrances with solid canopies between.  (I use this one in particular as I used to work in there and worked on the design for the landscaping out side)  Details like this would serve SC4 models quite well as they are realistic and also show off the ground floor.  And modeled correctly, with tight LODs under the canopy you could have it overhanging the sidewalk nicely.

Oh, and for a first building, fantastic start, and I'm glad you have taken my comments well and are keen to improve on the models rather than rush them out.  They are good, with some more work they'll be great.

Hehe, of course the same comments apply, I basically just took the canopy away and there it was. I'm very interested in seeing this tutorial, it sounds as though I could use it, right?

As for the canopy on this building, I don't think I'll go for any glass bits on this one, but I'll try adding some structural elements instead. However, the next building I have planned, there will be some glassy bits. Its another wall-to-wall bank, with a mid-rise office above. Its actually just one block away from the other, in Palmerston North.

Of course I took your comments well, how could I be upset at being helped by someone so experienced as yourself? I definitely want to get these really good. I'm sure I could upload these on the STEX now, and get rated between 3.8 and 4.2 out of 5, but I would rather get them really nice, lot them and mod them properly (I need to learn the PIMX) and upload them onto the LEX. 
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Tarkus

Joel, these banks are looking fantastic here--something that's definitely been missing from the game for too long. :)  I think the canopy looks great there now that you've raised it as well.

-Alex

joelyboy911

Thanks Alex.

Here's the latest, complete with a little roof-junk, and some more structural elements. I haven't changed the windows or night effects yet.

SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

tooheys

Joel great work.

As much as I liked your original bank models, the later versions are superb. :thumbsup:  Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I know I can certainly find a use for them.

Dave

Diggis

Yes!  Thats more like it.... Funnily enough, I now feel the canopy is a little small  ::)  I don't think you're going to win that one.  $%Grinno$%  But the addition of the struts to the canopy work well.  A few more pipes etc on the roof, and some water/rust spots on the texture and it'll be looking sharp.

thingfishs

top stuff, the canopy looks great.  :thumbsup:  Really looking forward to using these

joelyboy911

Here's my in-game test. As you can see, its too tall. I'm going to have to make it shorter again. I'll report back later.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

joelyboy911

More progress for today, I think I'm just about done now.

I intend to put all of the different banks into a building family, and that should reduce the risk of it appearing in a way that makes them too repetitive. For the non-canopy one, I'll completely redo the roof junk, however.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

thingfishs

Nice one joel, the windows & night lighting looks great. Love the neon sign at night, that looks sweet. The only thing I'm not too sure about is the black spot on the roof in the lower left corner, what is that? Top stuff.

joelyboy911

Hehe, its just a bit of filth of some kind. You know how unclean rooves are. None-the-less, I think it needs some attention as well.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Diggis

Joel, that is looking fantastic.  Yeah, the black spot needs a bit of work.  Are you using Photoshop?  If so, or if something similar, use a dark grey, not black (black is always too absolute i find, and you're better using a dark grey) and have it on a low opacity (10% or so).  And just discolour patches of the roof.  If you want to do a little more damage in an area, go over it twice.  I LOVE the rust round the aircon unit.  Just to give it slightly more interest maybe a couple of small vents or something.  Like a pipe with a cone on top to keep the water out.

A final trick (sorry, I keep forgetting this one too) that the great guys use is a gradient on the wall textures.  Again, I know there is a tutorial on this by gascooker, I'll see if I can find it for you.  I know JBsimio (I know i keep referring to him, but it's cos we've had some pretty in-depth discussions on BAT) does a whole texture per wall so adds the gradient there.

And finally, I've got the nightlight tutorial up: Here

But looking at what you have done I think you understood.  Also, see how you're windows are no longer black but have some life during the day too.  They really look good!

I would suggest a building family.  Maybe move some of the items on the roof around, and light a different window for them just so if they do grow together there is some differences apparent.  :thumbsup:

tooheys

Well perhaps I went a bit overboard with my comments last time, because these are better still  :thumbsup: You've got the heights balanced nicely and the roof top is looking a lot better. The only slight negative I can see has been commented on already (the black spot). Hope you can get this set onto the LEX soon.

Dave

dobdriver

Joel that's looking really terrific. and the narrow eaves when used on an open lot like your ingame pic works very well.

I think if you did produce these as w2w it would need the wide eaves, as every aussie and probably kiwi as well town with 1-3 floor buildings have eaves that stretch across the footpath.

but like was mentioned make them get different props.

I think your on a winner.

night lights on a bank? when was the last time you saw a bank manager work after 5 o'clock :D

take it easy

Diggis

Quote from: dobdriver on December 03, 2009, 02:24:19 AM
night lights on a bank? when was the last time you saw a bank manager work after 5 o'clock :D

You clearly live further north than I used to.  It gets dark about 4 in the south of NZ.  ;)

joelyboy911

SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Diggis

Joel,  Here is the tutorial by gascooker which outlines the gradients and the reasons for the:  http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=5230.0

Very useful and good read.

joelyboy911

Thanks.  That tutorial was very useful, and I put a little gradient on the wall texture now. I think some of the things in it will have to wait until 'next time' to be used, as I've come so far with this, and I kind of want to get it done and not have to re-do everything. So I'm going to alter the roof junks, make the no-canopy one and get to rendering and lotting.

I'd like to know what the appropriate way to name the buildings and lots is. I see the maxis lots names CO$$ 2x2, so should I call my lot 'CO$$ 2x2 JLY W2W Bank', and 'CO$$ JLY Bank ANZ' for the building exemplar? I'd like to know, because ideally, first time right would be good when I submit this in my LEX candidacy. Any other tips would be welcome also.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

xxdita

Quote from: joelyboy911 on December 03, 2009, 05:53:01 PMI'd like to know, because ideally, first time right would be good when I submit this in my LEX candidacy. Any other tips would be welcome also.

I have no doubt you'll do fine in your candidacy, let me know when you're ready. If you have any problems using SC4PIM, I'll be glad to help.
If you plan on this being a growable, it's also important that you include the stage of the lot. So "CO$$5 2x2 JLY W2W Bank" or whatever stage it may be.
If it's a plopable, make sure you have PLOP in the lot & building exemplar names.
If you're using SC4PIM, it's easier to name the building exemplars properly before you create the lots.