• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ram - Initial thoughts and Draft ideas

Started by Tolsome, January 30, 2008, 06:57:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MassHelper

It seems to be that dedgren added a single rail switch in his 3RR topic. (Click on shadow's link)

:) Mass
SC4 Modders' Assistant and Adviser

Jonathan

That's not all that's been thought of, some of the more basic stuff has been added into game already, keep your eyes open for more  ;)

Jonathan

MassHelper

MassHelper

FARR is almost ready to go....

Just need to wait for the single line (or three-track) rail to pop out...

:) Mass

TRD121

Dexist

is there already a air date know or something near that?

thanks

GNUCyberKat

I am very excited for this project to be released. ;D

I am a model railroader (N-scale) and really enjoy bringing rail to life in my regions.  Single track rail (the beta) so far has been an interesting addition that is helping me create much better visualizations of rail service.  I enjoy building railyards, interchanges, and more realistic rail operations.  The RAM should really help this along.  Hopefully I can begin to start figuring out how to build/lot some more industries that have rail connections for simulating rail traffic.  Plus more rail-realated buildings for yards, etc.

Thanks for all of your work on this mod.

Scott

spinmaster

This has been one of the most important additions to the game for me, since NAM itself. Always hated running the default dual-track through little towns that rarely see enough traffic for even a single line. Thank you!!!

Question (of course  :P): am I the only one not seeing train automata appear on it though? I do get those little green "things" (someone please enlighten me as to what they're really called), I can UDI a train just fine, I do see trains on the dual-track, and route-query shows the STR rails are being used with no breaks or gaps... yet I never see the game's automata trains on them. I don't want to post it as a bug if that's expected behavior though.

sim-al2

The automa appears only sparingly if the line does not have high usage. Those "little green things" are called track checkers. :D
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

spinmaster

"Track checkers" ... seems oddly uncreative, but if that's what they're called... eh, better than "little green things" I suppose, thanks  :thumbsup:

"Sparingly" ... I know, but I'm talking I can literally stare at the screen for several game days, zoomed at or near max, and not see a single train, even though according to the route-query the rail is carrying 1000+ passengers. I know that's still not "a lot" but with dual-track it was more than enough to see a train at least occasionally. Well anyway, I shall surmise from your reply though... it is in fact "just me" having this problem, so I guess I'll have to troubleshoot it myself. must be something conflicting, though I haven't added anything new in long time except this and the new NAM (along with RHW). Anyway if I figure out what it is I'll reply, just in case someone else runs into the same thing.

Figured it out - my own thick head. I had believed the adjacent-style stations wouldn't care if the track was dual or the new STR. Even noticed that when placed, they "worked" just fine... but only sort-of. The simulator will use them, hence why route query worked. But no automata - until I converted the track immediately next to the station to dual. Not to blame anyone else for my own lack-of-thought, but it's not clear in the readme that this would happen (or is it yet another "only me" thing?), just a mention in there about "if someone wants to make stations...". The TE'd stations with dual tracks obviously would need at least a visual change, but I didn't think the adjacent stations would need any fixin'. Makes sense though, I suppose... if the simulator's automata tries to start at some position relative to the building, for STR that would put it half off the track unless that position is tweaked. So... anyone have a tutorial how to do that tweaking (assuming it's even possible)?

sim-al2

I think there may a problem with a NAM componet, because several people on ST have reported problems. &Thk/(
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

zakuten

Of course, you could always take that bug as a strange-unintentional dash of realism, after all, don't more than a few single-track-line stations widen out to two for passing in the station?
Visit my MD Respublikii Anaksii , or the reboot CJ "Kara`i Shores" since the region wiped, at http://www.simtropolis.com/cityjournals/?p=toc&id=919 !
All comments are welcome! (Hopefully someday I can re-splice 'em together, but we'll see)

j-dub

What bug? I could of sworn actual used trains would appear at the station and take off on the STR. I tried it and that was the case. However, personally I like to widen up to two rails by the stations, then narrow down. You should not encounter a problem as in the simulator with Maxis stations next to the STR as the track should not be a part of the lot anyway, or are we talking about dare I say TE-ed stations? The bigger Maxis station with the junction would not make sense with STR going through it anyway.