• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Typographia

Started by etherian, May 28, 2008, 07:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paroch

Hi Etherian,

First up, congrats on your OSITM award, in my opinion very well deserved.

You deliver something with a different twist here and I have to say that Joanna is a fine looking place.  Your use of verious elements together work well, particularly your use of ChrisAdams RRP stuff.

Your explanation of the typeface and your interpretation of it in the city makes sense to me here - so maybe I'm slowly getting it (sometimes my brain hurts and takes time to warm up!)

Enjoy your time in OSITM, and I hope to be here again soon.

Paul

CarmineHilton

WOW! Some fabulous updates you have here ;)
Can I ask where you got those beautiful farmlands? I have some of them, but not all :s

etherian

Now and then, I would like to revisit cities that have already made their debut. Especially those cited as metropolis in-nature, the first of which will be Lucida. A major reason for revisiting is usually because I have had to demolish large parts of the city and rebuild/rezone. Grotesque has suffered the same fate - it is in this second reincarnation, same as Lucida as of now. I would like to think that each "new version" of the city improves on the previous - as cities in reality should. This quick little post will show a few teaser pictures of the revamped Lucida. Enjoy!

thundercrack83: Thank you Dustin, you always seems to be the first to comment - just goes to show your dedication to the forums and your continual support of all the Diaries. I will definitely be up to the challenge with keeping this thing rolling!

threestooges: Welcome back Matt, and although using those narrow flowerbeds were purely an aesthetic decision - I can see the merit of your observation, and am actually glad you pointed it out as your interpretation has added something else to my interpretation of the typeface. I invite all readers to point out little nuisances whenever you spot it - whether it be good or bad. Thank you for the words Matt, although I'm trying to keep myself grounded for a little while yet and you are not helping! :P

bat: Thanks! That should be just around the corner...

rooker1: Hello Robin, thanks for the tip with the RRP fences, sometimes I'm a little poor at calculating the required space for agriculture and that is what happens ;D Hope to see you in Typographia soon!

paroch: Thank you Paul, I'm glad that Joanna makes a little more sense to you ;) I make no guarantees about the next type debut though :P

CarmineHilton: Hello Carmine, thanks for the dropping by, I shall reciprocate in the very near future as I have been lurking for a while! As for the farms, I believe they are packs JMyers here on the LEX. The dependencies for them were a little tricky to find, but I think they are essential for getting the different looking fields - hope that answers your question.
Typographia - Type as Cities" border="0

Types as Cities | Now Showing: Lucida

threestooges

You should be careful when you invite me to comment on nuances (I'm long-winded enough with a basic reply as it is, heh heh), but I will certainly give it my best. I'm glad to see you will be revisiting areas too. As you mentioned, cities in the real world change (hopefully for the better) and it will be interesting to see how you maintain the theme of the city through its process of development. As for staying grounded...who would want to do a thing like that? (kidding of course) You seem to be keeping your head about this and I'll be waiting to see what the next installment has in store.
-Matt

bat

Three fantastic new pictures there, etherian! Looks wonderful!

and looking forward to more...

thundercrack83

The new and improved Lucida looks fantastic, etherian!

That's an oft-overlooked concept (overlooked by me, at least!) that you've brought up here, that as cities grow and age, they change, sometimes in major ways.

I hope you'll share the new aspects of Grotesque with us, too, my friend!

Take care!

Dustin

paroch

Hi Etherian,

Some nice shots there you've given us, and  I recognise the area from the picture comp.

I really like the houses in the top right corner of picture 1 - do you recall where they came from?

And as for cities having more than one attempt/incarnation, hey I think we've all experienced that one from time to time!

All the best,

Paul

art128

Hi Etherian,

your update is very nice  :thumbsup: realistic and bieautiful &apls

Looking forward to see your new update  &apls ;)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Speedbump Joey

Outstanding shots. Seeing your work is giving me new ideas! Thanks!

Questions:

Do you have a large Mass transit system in place? What is the transit companies name, and what is the breakdown in terms of bus, rail, light rail usage?

Also, do you have an airport in place, or is that on the planning table?

Can't wait for more updates.

etherian

Welcome to the new and (in my humble opinion!) vastly improved Lucida, I'm working on a Mosaic and an overivew of the city at the moment just so we know where everything is in terms of each other. For this update though, its a familiar zoom level that I find shows off just enough for its size, but retain the details quite well. Speedbump Joey gave me some good questions too, I'll reply to it in a little more depth than usual - more on that later.

For now, enjoy the splendor of the Lucida metropolitan area!

The main boulevard serving the CBD, this stretch of road has been updated several times in the cities life-cycle but has continued to retain its name - The Grande.

Densely vegetated parks are frequently used in the city to separate residential areas from commercial and industrial developments.

A different view of the afore-mentioned green space, this time of the opposite side that is more suited for living.

Above ground rail is a great public transport alternative, the Intercity Rail currently boasts three lines, with one that runs all the way to neighbouring Didot

Parking space comes at a premium the closer you are to the CBD, these ground only spaces will soon give way to multi-level concrete containers.

Above ground rail lines was the cause of some major traffic delays during construction, but the benefits far out-weight the temporary inconvenience as they save space, cuts down on travel times dramatically and reduces the pressure on Lucida's road networks.

Open, green areas are vital in keeping a city healthy.

Well-to-do residents flocked to this part of the city, attracted by its location as well as the perk of being newly developed.

A new freight rail yard was constructed to keep up with the industrial demand, brought on by the continual strong growth in manufacturing as well as the technology sector.

Accommodation blocks were purchased by the city to allow visiting patient families from faraway areas to board while they undergone treatment.

West Grande, often considered the beginning of the CBD, businesses who set up here are usually more of the sought-after type.

The CBD, restrictions on the height of developments near the Intercity Rail is only currently enforced on the commercial side.

A freight route that cuts through some raised parklands, this currently marks boundary of dense developments within Lucida.

threestooges: I am also keen to see how I might keep the theme present through each "reconstruction", I find that I assign certain architectural styles and certain lots to specific cities as a basic means of differentiating them. More subtle ones for example are bus skin replacements to give a clue as to where the city is in proximity to its neighbours. Thank you for your continual encouragement, I hope this update serves in the tradition of Lucida!

bat: Thanks mate ;)

thundercrack83: Hello Dustin, Grotesque will come in time, but I would dearly love a new computer. SC4 starts to chug and shudder when the population starts to git 50,000. And Grotesque is coming right along to that mark rather quickly. As a matter of fact, I can't believe I stuck with Lucida for so long as its population is almost at the 100,000 mark.

paroch: Thanks Paul, the houses are from SimGoober's mega residential pack. I don't have a clue as to which volume they are in exactly, but from what I've been able to grow, they are all quite excellent - you won't regret getting them all ;D

art128: Thank you, hope to see you in Typographia again soon!

Speedbump Joey: I'm glad that this diary can inspire you, I myself often find inspiration from the great Diaries and Journals that are present on various SC4 websites.

As for the question, I'll have to admit that I had not given enough/proper thought to them. Although little tidbits of information have already been revealed in several posts - I'm assuming you are referring to two particular networks: Intercity Rail, the el-rail line which is prominent in Lucida and also connects to Didot; and TransContinent Rail is currently only active in Didot but is growing into a large corporation that should span the entire region.

There are also currently two established bus companies, funded by public money and managed by councils consisting of several delegates from participating cities. You've put me on the spot with trying to name them, so instead of giving them some meaningless one off the bat, I'll reserve my thoughts and name them properly at the next post :P

Light rail does not currently exist within Typographia, it has been earmarked for development though - but not in any existing cities.

Road networks that brings residents from one city to another are usually highways, again, I have not began to name or given much thought to how I am to represent them as one coherent entry, so that will have to wait.

Airports? Small prefab ones are employed in Grotesque and Lucida. Although I have the AC modular airports, I am having trouble making the terminals and therefore have refrained from putting that part of development on show for a little while longer. Rest assure, they will make their debut because the cities do require it :)

I hope that answers your questions, and anyone else who has similar questions, don't hesitate to speak up and ask away!
Typographia - Type as Cities" border="0

Types as Cities | Now Showing: Lucida

art128

waow  :o absoluty amazing  :thumbsup:

I like the station in the road curve  :D where did you get the bleu flower   ()what()
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

rooker1

Super update. 
I too love the El station on the curved road peice. 
You have some very interesting pictures and I hope to see you enter some of them in the SC4 Picture Contest.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Godzillaman

Your use of green space is pretty sweet. But where'd you get the station on the el-rail curve? ()what()
"With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound he pulls the spitting high-tension wires down..."

Speedbump Joey

Outstanding work! Seeing your CBD layout is very nice. I love the parks and the diagonal intersecting roadways. The one-ways that are next to the buildings in the CBD, is that a custom design by you, or are those simply one-ways that you placed there next to the parking spaces? Great work once again, I hope to start my area up soon!

ben_meissner

Great MD, etherian!
As a designer and typography buff, I find the concept and presentation especially interesting. Can't wait to see more.

Cockatoo-210893

Wow, how on Earth did I manage to miss this on ST! This is so awesome. You've given me some much needed inspiration.
Congrats on getting an OSITM award too, this deserves one for sure.

bat

Lucida is looking very nice there! Great shots of that beautiful city... :thumbsup:

turtle

I really like your idea. But as someone said earlier about the link between city and font, it is a little vague to me too. Maybe you could elaborate a bit on how they are spefically related. I mean I get the big picture, but if you could go more in to details about it I would be glad :)

I agree that Lucida improved a lot. I love the picture of the Grande, that works much better now. What are those parkingspaces that runs parallel to the grande? I'd like to get my hand on them, there are alot of them in Copenhagen so they seem very familiar to me.

Anyways, great MD and congratulations on the OSITM. It's well deserved   :thumbsup:
My name is Thomas...

S_imon

Your region is so beauty... Especially I like green places - those little park, grass and more.
You are showing us beautiful cities with most of Maxis building, in the past I was thingking it's impossible but when I saw your region...
I'm waiting for more!

&apls  &apls  &apls

bohort

Bravo, Typographia is realistic city  :thumbsup:
The whole is very beautiful, there is not fault  ;)
Congratulation  &apls
We have only planet ! Stop Global Warming !
I'm French, so sorry for my bad english !