• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simpson

A big happy birthday for you:
Happy Birthday
And also great pic, I'm until forward to the next update my friend

Welcome to page 242
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

threestooges

Better to be waking up in the hospital than... well... I think I'll leave it there. Glad to hear things seem to have gone well with it, and Robin's right, it's not where you are on your birthday, but who you spend it with. I'm glad you chose to spend part of it with us. I left a card of sorts for you in the Dave's Day thread if you haven't seen it yet. I've never seen crabapple jelly before (much less ripe crab apples); how's the taste? At any rate, enjoy the day, recover well, and Happy Birthday.
-Matt

deathtopumpkins

Said it on the happy birthday thread, and I'll say it again here, Happy 56th, David!
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Sheep49

Happy 56th Birthday!

Hope this day will be a very special one for ya! :thumbsup:
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

dsrwhat316

Happy birthday, David! I hope you make a speedy recovery, my friend. I'll have a drink for you tonight (hope you like bourbon!) ;)

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)

ben_meissner

Happy Birthday, David! As always, great pics. I hope to someday visit your beautiful state in person, but for now the photos are appreciated. Good luck with your medical issues.

sithlrd98

Yeah,I mentioned a few times today but....

(I would sing it but I don't have an extra 10k sittin around)

Haljackey

Happy Birthday David!  Hope you're doing well!

Best,
-Haljackey

wes.janson

Happy Birthday David!

Last time I was up north in the Yukon I made my way to Alaska; unfortunately it was the middle of March so the colour scheme wasn't quite so vibrant. Being a huge fan of living around nature (Which is why I made Vancouver my home, for a metropolitian city they sure take their trees seriously here) I might have to trek up there one fall and see some of this scenery with my own eyes.

All the best, I hope the stay in the hospital isn't too stressful. After recently having two knuckles replaced as well as some tendons in my hand (I lost a fight with a table saw) I have an idea how unenjoyable those places can be. All of us in that weird little country due south of you wish you well.

Tyerel (wes.janson)

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

art128

Happy birthday David  &apls your picture are very nice  &apls I realy love the last picture  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Darmok

David, I'll borrow John, Paul, George and Ringo's talent to say...

HEARING BEATLES MUSIC.....

You say it's your birthday
It's my birthday too--yeah
They say it's your birthday
We're gonna have a good time
I'm glad it's your birthday
Happy birthday to you.

Yes we're going to a party party
Yes we're going to a party party
Yes we're going to a party party.

I would like you to dance--Birthday
Take a cha-cha-cha-chance-Birthday
Dance

Take a cha-cha-cha-chance-Birthday
Dance

Well it's my birthday too--yeah
We're gonna have a good time
I'm glad it's your birthday
Happy birthday to you.

END OF SONG

David, I hope you had a great time on your birthday
I regret not being there to raise my glass to your health in person
and I hope that you'll make a toast at my 100th birthday!

Here's to you my friend!

Slainthe Mhath (pronounced slawn'-che-va)

-John

EDITED :
Picture taken from The Whisky Grotto http://www.whiskygrotto.com/2007/12/08/bowmore-single-malt-whisky-targeted-by-thieves/ 
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=112.last#last

If you have a closed mind, do the same with your mouth

BigSlark

A late Happy Birthday, David. I hope all is well with your health and your family.

May you have many more happy and healthy birthdays!

Cheers,
Kevin

psander5

Happy birthday David, belatedly! 

I have to say, you're really selling Alaska well.  Have you ever worked for the Alaskan tourist board?  The pictures you're sharing are stunning.

Grneyes

Happy Belated Birthday, David!!!  &apls &apls /&HiPP/%

MaryBeth

dedgren

Well, we blew by 130,000 page views a little earlier today.  That's over 10,000 this month, 500 per day, and we still have a third of September left.

..Woo hoo!  We're on a roll!...

I don't have much for you this minute- I had a needle biopsy of my thyroid gland this morning, and need to go take a nap.  I did do this early this morning, though, as my birthday gift to all of you great folks.

Our great friends and incipient Rail Gods Dave (bighead99) and Jonathan (warrior) are working overtime to get single track rail to you soon.  Prepare to be amazed!

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

metarvo

I hope you had a happy birthday, David, and I wish you a speedy recovery.  I was right, though.  You definitely were up to something while you were away.  I love that single track rail!  It looks so much like the railroad tracks that I see commonly in RL.

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

van1357

Well, after a long period of time without a post, I thought I would again say how much I enjoy all your wonderful work David (and to say Happy Birthday!). It's great to come here and see what you've been up to and what wonderful new project is underway. Thanks for sharing 3RR with us all!
Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.
Albert Einstein

threestooges

I've seen what they've been working on, and it is impressive. I hope the biopsy turns out well. Again, happy birthday. Rest well, and I'll keep an eye out for new updates.
-Matt

thundercrack83

More mind-blowing work coming out of 3RR--I love it, David!

I hope the biopsy was as painless as possible, and I hope you're feeling OK!

Take care of yourself and I'll be looking forward to whatever else you've got stashed away that you're working on!

Dustin

dedgren

Turning a prop into a plop - A tutorial (Part One)

This is the first part of the long-awaited (mainly because I've been so slow) tutorial where we reveal the innermost secrets of the 3RR Plopperizer™.

First, some background.  My chosen title is actually a bit misleading- what we're actually turning into plops are what are called in the game ".SC4Model" files, which are the end result of the BATting process.  I'll use as a starting example of a .SC4Model file what Matt (threestooges) sends me as his output when he sends me his work.

Fig. 1

These are Matt's now infamous phone poles- the ones that have sparked what seems to be a flood of interest (and skilled BATters, such as our good friend metarvo) in the topic.  Now, you'll notice that (imho) Matt names his files his files very carefully. He starts with his custom content creator code "TS"

Fig. 2

followed by the generic name of his BAT, in this case "phone pole".

Fig. 3

He then follows with the type, in the first case "3bar".

Fig. 4

He then adds the orientation- for ortho poles, none, but for other orientations the amount of the angle: "18.4" for FAR/FARR angle 1, "45" for diagonals, and "30" and "60" for in-between orientations.

Fig. 5

n.b.If I were naming these BAT files, the only thing I would change would be to expressly name the orientation "orth", "diag", "FA18", "FA71" and then "30", "60" and other lesser used angles.

Now, by this point you're probably saying to yourself, "Heck, I don't make the .SC4Model files- I just want to make them into plops!"   Well, OK, but, #1) I'd really like to see everyone be as meticulous as Matt has been about naming them, and #2) As you know from earlier tutorials, I just don't assume folks start with any more knowledge than I had when I puzzled my way through this.  So, if you see something you think you already know, feel free to skip ahead.  We'll catch up with you somewhere.

The remainder of the file name consists of a string of numbers that, at first glance can look like gobbledegook to the uninitiated, but are very useful to have in an .SC4Model file name if you are going to use it as a basis for creating further custom content.  Why?  Well, the game allows you to create .SC4Model files named anything, so Matt could have named his first four phone pole files "John," "Paul," "George," and "Ringo" if he'd wanted to and they would have worked just fine.  That would have left us, though, having to go into the Ilive Reader

...which, if you are going to follow along and don't have, can be DL'd from the LEX here [linkie]...

in order to get this information, which we will need in order to create the plop.  These numbers

Fig. 6

are actually three discreet numbers starting with the alphanumeric "0x".  Without a great deal of further discussion here (we'll get into that later in the tutorial), these numbers represent the "type," "group," and "instance" of the BATted object contained in the .SC4Model file.  Taken together, these type, group and instance numbers are called "TGI" numbers.  While the scope of explaining the TGI numbering system even at the most basic level is far beyond the scope of this tutorial, they act sort of like a street address so that the game can find a BATted object (among other things- TGIs are used for many purposes) when it goes looking for it.  Just note here for future reference that Matt's phone pole .SC4Model files all have the same type and instance numbers, but different group numbers.

So, we'll select a particular phone pole BAT to make ploppable- let's use the basic one crossbar ortho pole- this one.

Fig. 7

Now, we're actually at another point of departure here, one I'll just mention.  If the .SC4Model file was all you had, and you didn't care about making the BATted object ploppable, could you use it in the game at this point as a prop?  The answer to that is no.  You would need to create a second file to go with it- a .SC4Desc file.  We won't do that here, as our friend Matt has created a great tutorial here [linkie] that explains the process in detail.  It's good to know, though, that the purpose of a .SC4Desc file is to make a BATted object into a prop usable in the Lot Editor- nothing more.  I know- it seems odd, we've talked about ploppable props for years- actually what we're creating are ploppable BATs.  So that's why, as I noted at the start of this post, the title of this tutorial is misleading.  You can certainly make an existing prop (to wit: a BATted object contained in a .SC4Model file with an accompanying .SC4Desc file) ploppable, but you can also make any BAT that is in a .SC4Model file ploppable.  Remember that for later.

I'm going to wrap Part One of this tutorial here.  Here's where to find Part Two [linkie].  See you there.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax