• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thingfishs

holy crap!
I was very skeptical reading this post, but I did as instructed, planted a whole mass of them, then on the first day of the new year BAM!! they ALL changed AT ONCE. Big ups to the whole team behind this completely unexpected and thought impossible breakthrough.
&apls &apls &apls &apls

that is so cool... I look forward to the "technology" being freely available

FrankU

So these are ploppable single props that change overtime?
Fantastic work!

thingfishs

there are already ploppable props that change over time but you can't get them to all change at once (so simulating seasons is impossible) That is until now...  ;D ;D

FrankU

Ah, so it's not the changing, but hte timing of the changing that is the great feature here?
I admit that I am a bit ignorant in this respect. A while ago I experimented with seasonal trees, but I abandoned it because it took a lot of resources and also there were too many trees without seasonal changes. So I would always stay with green trees in winter. I left the whole as it was and at the moment I only work with trees that stay green all year. In fact I don't care about Simcity dates at all whatsoever.

But a beautiful development has the right to be praised, hasn't it?

rooker1

Wow....congrats to all involved and thank you for all the hard work.

&apls

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Ryan B.

Solid work, my friends - ten bells to you!

&apls

turtle

Wauw, that's absolutely amazing!

I look forward to trying them out.

Thanks for this superb addition!

Thomas
My name is Thomas...

dedgren

So, let's take a look at these...

January

February

March

April

May

June

July

August

September

October

November

December

Sorry about the nuclear blue water [linkie]

my testbench quad plugins folder doesn't have anything in it but default stuff, a few necessary enhancements (the extra cheats DLL, for example) and whatever I'm working on at the moment.

Here's the menu shot.

This was really timely, as it allows me to send out collaboration quads in the form I originally intended.  I won't say we waited three years for this to happen, but you might take note of the coincidence... just sayin'.

The possibilities of this technology are endless.  Autumn leaves and duff, seasonal flowers, tall grasses on the verges of summer fields... you name it.  Make me some suggestions- if there's a BAT model out there, it can be done.

The lilypads are attached to this post.  Enjoy!

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

rooker1

You are just going to go crazy now, aren't you David? ::)

Robin &apls
Call me Robin, please.

JoeST

Quote from: rooker1 on April 08, 2010, 12:14:01 PM
You are just going to go crazy now, aren't you David? ::)

Robin &apls
going? hehe, he went years ago :p
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

threestooges

Nothing wrong with nuclear blue water when you're on the cutting edge of developments. Now we know where you get the energy to get all this stuff done. If you're looking for flora suggestions though, any of Chrisadams' wild flower plops would make excellent seasonal plops.
-Matt

metarvo

It's another 3RR breakthrough.  Once again, the bar has been raised.  Good work, David and everyone else involved.  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Jmouse

Simply amazing! :)

Later...

Joan

ldvger

Like everyone else, I think this is a fantastic breakthrough and the possibilities do indeed seem to be endless. 

But, I just gotta know what it was I said or wrote that contributed!  Please don't make me search back to find it and guess?  I need to know when I have an idea or thought that works out...I am such a noob when it comes to understanding game mechanics, I am taking wild stabs in the dark more often than not.  So to know what I said or thought that actually steered others down the path to discovery could be very helpful to me in gaining greater understanding of the game. 

Also, explaining, in layman terms (as much as possible), how this breakthrough was achieved...many curious minds would appreciate that, I am sure. 

Lastly, being as how you are on such good terms with Brian (c.p./cycledogg) perhaps you could convince him to unlock the secrets of tree controllers?  I'd love to learn how to mod or create a tree controller!

Oh and...anyone think it may be possible to create seasonal hardwood forests in God Mode rather than Mayor Mode? 

Lora/LD

Andreas

Lora,

what David meant was your posting about the weather exemplar which might contain the properties for controlling seasonal trees. When I opened SimCity_1.dat for checking this, I stumbled upon the Flora Tuning exemplar, noticing that there was some cycle set to 24 month, which reminded me of one of David's earlier postings that his first seasonal test trees changed their appearance every two years. So I suggested 12 months, but Vladimir (vil) actually found out that you'll have to use 1 month for making the game checking the flora every month and switch to another seasonal model, based on yet another property. Four eyes see more than two, as we say here. :)
Andreas

ecoba

Wow, that is some simply amazing work, David. This is really a technological breakthrough :thumbsup:

Great job, my friend.  &apls

Ethan

io_bg

That's awesome! Looks like I'll have to leave the big city developing for while ;D (and sorry for lurking for sooo long)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

cubby420

This is really amazing. TY all who contributed for you hard work. Since you asked for suggestions, I'll shoot: I'm a big fan of sorchin's wildflowers - http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=17099 and of course any of chrisadams beautiful flora. Again thank you. Your work is well appreciated.  &apls

kimcar

&apls &apls You always have great idea , and this one do not be an exeption . Great one David :thumbsup:

dedgren

Haven't you always hated stuff like winter camping in SC4?

Now you don't have to.

Pics at 11:00.

OK, now it's 11:00 p.m. (AST/GMT-9) and I'm back.  I must have baffled everyone with my reference to winter camping...

Here's the issue.  The way we've played the game the last seven years, we were more or less stuck with summer trees and stuff in the fall and winter.  Someone would do a great winter resort BAT, and just down the street would be a home with a flowering lilac tree and folks in the pool.  Always drove me nuts.

Same deal with campgrounds.  John (Pegasus) has done some nice camping stuff as part of his MTP set.  It just doesn't work for me in game December, though.  Not everyone lives in Florida or Southern California (or Equitorial Guinea, for that matter- I'm going with what I know).

So, here's a tent in a grove of aspens.  Been there, done that.

By fall, though, the temps have dropped into the low 40s (~5 C) at night, and the campers should be packed up and gone...

...and, by gosh, they are.  Winter- the chain's long been locked across the campground entrance, and the tent's folded in the attic or crawl space.

Our friend Silvio (Rayden) has a campground to create for us in Pink SW.  I bet we'll be seeing more of these puppies.

You can check it out right now by DLing the file at the bottom of this post.  You'll also have to DL John's PEG MTP Mountain Trails REC Pack 1 at ST [linkie] as a dependency, but that's a small price to pay for keeping those former Sim winter campers at home and safe and warm.

Anyone know of any pup tent BATs out there?  Or one of those sherbet green Coleman canvas family tents?

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax