• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Canal Addon Mod (CAN-AM)

Started by daeley, April 23, 2009, 11:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeST

Quote from: FrankU on June 24, 2009, 01:58:22 AM
And Diggis: so you do have CAL's canals for the CAN-AM? I understood that they were named in the NAM-installation, but were not actually there, so I chose SG's canals.... Did I understand wrong? Is it so that Cal's canals are there, but that installation is not recommended, because the terminals aren't ready yet?
I could live with the wrong water texture on the terminals when it is known that the right ones will will be available within some weeks...
They are there, just there were no stations for them ;)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

BarbyW

CAL's canals are in the installation BUT the terminals have not yet been completed and released. They should be available quite soon so if you can live with the different water texture then go for it.
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

FrankU

OK, thanks a lot....

So now I have to choose between the beautiful texture by Cal (with Diggis'ponds as extensions..) and the larger amount of lots by Simgoober.... ()what()

Nothing in life is easy.. :'(

Andreas

Quote from: joelyboy911 on June 24, 2009, 01:27:04 AM
Thank you for those lovely explanations. However, what I wanted to know was, how did those little waterbusses come to be? Do they replace ferry automata in-game? Are they generated by a special lot as are the trams from the tram museum? Are they UDI capable? (I haven't tested yet, as I have not downloaded the Canal sets - due to a slow connection).

No, they won't replace the in-game ferry automata, but they are created in the same way as the museum tram. :) Not sure about UDI; I never use that feature anyway. ;)
Andreas

Diggis

Quote from: FrankU on June 24, 2009, 02:25:58 AM
OK, thanks a lot....

So now I have to choose between the beautiful texture by Cal (with Diggis'ponds as extensions..) and the larger amount of lots by Simgoober.... ()what()

Nothing in life is easy.. :'(

Having looked into this, there are a large number of canals with Lee's water, and Citynut has his CCPW with Lees as well.  For me, it's a no brainer.  ;)

miggoycor

So.....

In the future, is it possible to use more than one canal in the Can-AM? I use Simgoober's canal for industrial districts and I use Cal's canal for emulating in-game water.
φ    =    1+√(5)
                ---------

≈ 1.6180339887

FrankU

Quote from: miggoycor on June 24, 2009, 02:48:16 AM
So.....

In the future, is it possible to use more than one canal in the Can-AM? I use Simgoober's canal for industrial districts and I use Cal's canal for emulating in-game water.

That might be a very good option for me.... I'll consider this too.

Quote from: Diggis on June 24, 2009, 02:43:20 AM
Having looked into this, there are a large number of canals with Lee's water, and Citynut has his CCPW with Lees as well.  For me, it's a no brainer.  ;)

I don't exactly know what lots are available from Citynut, but as far as I know Simgoober made lots with waterpumps, small docks and one tile wide canals. Cal did not (well he did the coal dock). And indeed, he did the aqueduct and the millenium bridge....

Maybe I'll consider Miggoycor's option.

Anyway, thanks.

joelyboy911

Thanks Andreas.  ;D This is a cool new network!
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

Diggis

Quote from: miggoycor on June 24, 2009, 02:48:16 AM
So.....

You mean something like this?

It would be pretty cool, pity we can't.

miggoycor

φ    =    1+√(5)
                ---------

≈ 1.6180339887

carkid1998

Sendona... Coming soon!

Diggis

RebaLynnTS

Quote from: Diggis on June 24, 2009, 05:57:44 AM
Do you have any idea how we can do it?  ()what()

Personally, I don't see why you have to put the canal pieces on the lots at all. It seems to me, as long as there are overhanging pieces, a generic version, with no water on them, could be done. Granted, not all canal sets have the proper overhanging pieces, but most can be made.

For those that don't have them, I'd be will to make them, if the makers are willing to share the textures and/or models needed.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Diggis

Becca,

While I can see where you are coming from it would turn out to be almost as complicated as the way it is now.  You would have to render a new bank piece with an extra water tile for every set... as well as outside corners, inside corners, another that overhangs to get under the bridge... etc

Now off the top of my head I can think of the following sets:

SG's Canals
Cal/SG's Canals
Diggis Ponds
CityNuts CCPW
Oppies Canals
Pegs Ponds
Pegs canals
RLTS ARS

Thats 8 sets, 4 new lots a set say... 32 new lots, at least.

Now SG and Cal's models are available on the LEX, I could do mine easily enough and CityNut may be enticed to do his.  However, experience has shown that Peg is reluctant to involve himself with anything NAM or BSC related.  Now you may have better luck than us, but I would be suprised if you got his models, and Oppie is gone.

Cal and I basically share the same water, CityNut has one for both SG and Cal's sets meaning the options from the NAM team at the moment cover 4 of the sets above.  Over half, not a bad start really for one more icon.  ;)

Now lets say that I haven't photoshopped that image above and it's a real ingame shot  ;) that would mean all 4 would be supported in one puzzle piece.  Add that to this image which shows that I have also used my water texture, not Cals (rougher water) and you will see I could possible have done 3...

And lets for arguments sake say I actually knew how to add more with still the one puzzle piece and was testing it at the moment and you may see that we are working on this.  ;)

RebaLynnTS

Well, Peg has shared much with me, and given me permission to use them as I see fit. My new canal sets use the same water texture as Peg, so if you want to use mine, they will match Pegs quite well.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

bob56

I have a question about the UDI and pathing of the CAN-AM.

I built a test water block with T, corner, and intersection pieces. The path looks like this

It seems correct. When the automata runs it moves all over the area

however, when you enter the boat in UDI, you are stuck to the ourtside edge, or a straight circle where the boat started. You cannot change 'lanes'. This means, (i've tried this), you can't change to a different canal section via a t-piece.

Is this because the default boats don't have turn signals, since they drive non-path-conforming on an ocean, and the 'bus' network the CAN-AM ferry is is modeled as a boat, which doesn't have signals?

I was just wondering if there is a way around this. It isn't that big of a deal, just something I noticed.

Thanks

You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

miggoycor

Quote from: Diggis on June 25, 2009, 12:29:46 AM
Becca,

How did you do that! That looks cool!

What am I doing wrong now? I downloaded your pond set from LEX but it seems it doesn't match.
I'm sorry in advance, but what am I doing wrong?
φ    =    1+√(5)
                ---------

≈ 1.6180339887

Diggis

Yes, sorry, I didn't mention here, when I started my ponds the intention was to have it match Cal's water.  He sent me a water texture he was planning on using to update his set, but RL struck so I had a different texture to the existing.  I've rerendered my models with his texture and it's in testing at the moment.  It should be released this week I hope.

miggoycor

Thanks! I thought I was doing something wrong.
φ    =    1+√(5)
                ---------

≈ 1.6180339887

daeley

Quote from: bob56 on June 25, 2009, 03:21:17 PM

however, when you enter the boat in UDI, you are stuck to the ourtside edge, or a straight circle where the boat started. You cannot change 'lanes'. This means, (i've tried this), you can't change to a different canal section via a t-piece.

Is this because the default boats don't have turn signals, since they drive non-path-conforming on an ocean, and the 'bus' network the CAN-AM ferry is is modeled as a boat, which doesn't have signals?

yes, that's pretty much the reason. There are no stop points or junction switches on the T and + intersections, so the boats just go straight ahead in UDI. These might get added though in an update, but they're not high on my priority list to be honest. There are some more pathers so around so if you ask nicely maybe somebody else will do it :)
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!