• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Canal Addon Mod (CAN-AM)

Started by daeley, April 23, 2009, 11:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carny

Hi to everyone.
I have a little problem: some time ago i removed CAN AM files from my plugins (or Nam) directory (don't ask me the why and the how). Recently i decided to try the Mod for the first time, but i realized i haven't anymore can-am puzzle pieces into my menus (i looked for them everywhere, but i found only the eyecandy pieces into the park menu).
Is there a way to re-download only the Canal addon mod files without reinstalling the entire Nam?
Thanks in advance for the help. :)

CaptCity

Quote from: Carny on June 21, 2011, 05:37:36 PM
Is there a way to re-download only the Canal addon mod files without reinstalling the entire Nam?
Thanks in advance for the help.
You could download the MAC version and just copy the from the Plugins included in the download into your Network Addon Mod/Plugins folder in your plugins. You'll need the NetworkAddonMod_CanAM_Plugin file as well as one of the prop files - either CanAM_Props_SG or CanAM_Props_CAL - depending on which you use.

Carny

Yeah, already done.  :thumbsup:
I directly re-downloaded the entire NAm into another folder, then i copied the CAN-AM files into my Nam/plugins folder. Everything now work correctly.
Thanks anyway for your help, CaptCity.  :)

CahosRahneVeloza

After months of struggling against the alluring possibilities of using CAN-AM, I finally gave in & am now very, very addicted to it  :thumbsup:

The primary reason why I fought off this awesome mod was because of my Canal preferences. Personally, I love Oppie & Jeronij's canal sets because they just look spectacular. Unfortunately they lack the greatness that is the CAN-AM.

You might then say, well if you use Diggis' Multiple Canals CAN-AM Mod then you can interface said canal sets to the CAN-AM.

Problem is.... I know nothing about modding with the iLives Reader.

And I will admit that I am one of those folks who just download custom content & never tweaks whatever I download just because I can't... or rather am afraid I might screw things up.

I actually wanted to learn how to use the reader, unfortunately the warning that if I do something wrong that I can brick (brick - ruin due to modding) SC4 totally scared me into even trying.

Anyway enough of me being such a greenhorn... As I said I Finally gave into CAN-AM, changed my canal sets to SimGoober's & am now absolutely in love with my new mode of mass transportation  ;)

I just wanted to post on here to thank you for this fantastic mod & to ask/request for several CAN-AM interface pieces for NWM & RHW Networks. I'm also into those two NAM Add-ons but the lack of CAN-AM interface pieces for them has left me to depend once again on the Maxis Highways as that's the only highway system that currently allows for the CAN-AM to pass under it. It would really be great if there would be ERHW pieces that can cross a strip of CAN-AM canal in the future :)

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: CahosRahneVeloza on October 04, 2011, 09:33:20 PM
It would really be great if there would be ERHW pieces that can cross a strip of CAN-AM canal in the future :)

I have a different proposal. Since there are a number of puzzle-based networks being planned to become draggable (such as the double-height Monorail pieces), why not add CanAM to the list?
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

FrankU

Quote from: CahosRahneVeloza on October 04, 2011, 09:33:20 PM
And I will admit that I am one of those folks who just download custom content & never tweaks whatever I download just because I can't... or rather am afraid I might screw things up.

I actually wanted to learn how to use the reader, unfortunately the warning that if I do something wrong that I can brick (brick - ruin due to modding) SC4 totally scared me into even trying.

Well, let me assure you of one thing: relly screwing up SC4 totally will not be so easy. If you modd a file in a bad way you often will find out quick, because the game will crash. The only thing you have to do after that is deleting the new file from your plugins folder and go ahead where you have left.
A very good tip: make a backup of your complete SC4 directory (including plugins, regions etc), before you test the mod and store this on another location.

CahosRahneVeloza

Quote from: GDO29Anagram on October 05, 2011, 12:05:25 AM
I have a different proposal. Since there are a number of puzzle-based networks being planned to become draggable (such as the double-height Monorail pieces), why not add CanAM to the list?

Woah! This is indeed better! I Definitely agree &apls

Quote from: FrankU on October 05, 2011, 12:34:54 AM
Well, let me assure you of one thing: relly screwing up SC4 totally will not be so easy. If you modd a file in a bad way you often will find out quick, because the game will crash. The only thing you have to do after that is deleting the new file from your plugins folder and go ahead where you have left.
A very good tip: make a backup of your complete SC4 directory (including plugins, regions etc), before you test the mod and store this on another location.

So if I am only going to fiddle around with custom content does that mean I need not concern myself with the warning about making a backup of Simcity_1.dat? That bit was what absolutely scared me in the beginner's guide:

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/21372-the-reader-beginners-guide/

FrankU

Ha, ahem... I don't know. I never did, but maybe this concerns deeper modding than I ever did? I do not fool around with the original SC files. I only play around with plugins.
But even if you do that: I'd say make an ZIP out of the whole SC4 directory and store it on another location on your HD. If something screws up, you just replace the whole bunch. That's easier than reinstalling.

CahosRahneVeloza

Thanks for the insight FrankU :)

I'll try to sum up the courage to try out the reader once again.

Anyway, can I ask a question regarding a dependency for the SG Freight station for the CAN-AM?

I know I need the Small Wharf add-on as a dependency, but do I need both the wharf & the 2x1 barge channel? Or do I just need to keep the wharf & can toss the barge channel?

I just wanted to clarify this as I am currently in the process of removing every 1x2 canal related pieces from my SG Canals folder as those can not be incorporated with CAN-AM as CAN-AM requires a canal at least 3 tiles wide with the middle as the CAN-AM path. The various bridges & overhang pieces had to go too as the stuff that comes with the CAN-AM is the only ones I need.

Of course, the various reward & add-on lots will stay though :)

Reason for Edit: Had to fix my typo.

whatnameshouldi

Loving the CAN-AM idea and versatility (diggis multiple set enabler already installed), but Im still slow on figuring out somethings, therefore my question, how do I make bridges/any kind of crossing of CAN-AM enabled tiles? Is it possible?
I searched a lot but couldn't find an indepth tutorial on CAN AM.

Thanks a lot,
whatname

CaptCity

Quote from: whatnameshouldi on November 13, 2011, 05:46:42 PM
...how do I make bridges/any kind of crossing of CAN-AM enabled tiles? Is it possible?
I searched a lot but couldn't find an indepth tutorial on CAN AM.
You can use a combination of the Can-AM pieces and the raised avenue, road, highway, rail viaduct, etc. pieces to make bridges. Or use the FLUP pieces to go under. If you TAB through the Can-AM ring, you'll find the Canal overpass and FLUP pieces. Here's a simple example...

Wiimeiser

The CAN-AM definetly needs to be worked on. L1 crossings (optionally that look like drawbridges) and RHW, NWM and HSR crossings should be given a huge priority.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

CahosRahneVeloza

Quote from: Wiimeiser on November 13, 2011, 08:45:13 PM
The CAN-AM definitely needs to be worked on. L1 crossings (optionally that look like drawbridges) and RHW, NWM and HSR crossings should be given a huge priority.

This is also my reason why I opted to go back using Maxis Highways as they're currently the only high capacity road based network that has CAN-AM crossings.

Also my playing style currently is focused on CAN-AM usage, I've stopped using rail (both heavy & light rail) & instead use the CAN-AM freight transfer station to handle all outbound freight. As for public transportation, I use both bus & water bus  ::)

Tarkus

Kinda interesting there's suddenly a ton of interest in CAN-AM.  We had drifted away from the project a bit as its main developer (daeley) hasn't been around in awhile, and we had gotten the impression that there weren't that many folks using it nowadays.  Knowing that there is still interest in it, however, I'll see about some "gap-filling", particularly on the RHW side. 

-Alex

whatnameshouldi

Thanks a lot CaptCity, I had forgotten searching there. Now I got it and have my first transit enabled crossing, sims rejoice! shame there is nothing on the other side yet.

Tarkus, I really like the concept of CAN-AM, I was just shy to try it cause of the many dependencies. Eventually I realised I already had most of them and here I am, loving each bit of it.

ivo_su

Oh  Alex (Tarkus) believe me there is interest in the project CAN-AM and on my part. I long ago I wrote about my idea to do a similar set of Oppie's channels. Even I remember that Diggis  gave me advice on how  this can happen, but I seemed  too complicated. Definitely road announces water to be incorporated into urbanized  city traffic. Even now when I thought my idea for dragable network  CAN-AM. I agree that the CAN-AM  should receive wider support especially in terms of RHW, NWM and HSRP.  FLUPs models is planned that Matt would have done 80-90% of this task. And to top it off, I pray the boy from the Czech Republic  to be able to make this  set of channels Oppie's because I prefer them over any other.

Best,
- Ivo

mike3775

Quote from: Tarkus on November 14, 2011, 02:34:16 PM
Kinda interesting there's suddenly a ton of interest in CAN-AM.  We had drifted away from the project a bit as its main developer (daeley) hasn't been around in awhile, and we had gotten the impression that there weren't that many folks using it nowadays.  Knowing that there is still interest in it, however, I'll see about some "gap-filling", particularly on the RHW side. 

-Alex

I think the main problem with CAN-AM is that it really requires a flat region to be effective, and many like to build in hills and mountainous regions.  I like to use CAN-AM sporadically, but the regions I like to play on, are not conductive to using it frequently as its usually a hilly type region for the most part.

But I do like using it as another means of transport though

CahosRahneVeloza

Quote from: CaptCity on November 13, 2011, 07:37:21 PM
...If you TAB through the Can-AM ring, you'll find the Canal overpass and FLUP pieces....

Good sir I seem to be lacking said FLUP crossing pieces in my copy of the CAN-AM TAB Ring  ()what()

I'd definitely love it if I could make GLR go under the CAM-AM like that :)

And it would really be cool if we could make Tram in street, Tram on Road & Tram on Avenue be able to cross the CAN-AM as well :)

Quote from: Tarkus on November 14, 2011, 02:34:16 PM

-Alex

RHW CAN-AM crossing pieces would also be very mind-blowing too  :thumbsup:

CaptCity

Quote from: CahosRahneVeloza on November 16, 2011, 02:49:46 PM
Good sir I seem to be lacking said FLUP crossing pieces in my copy of the CAN-AM TAB Ring  ()what()

I'd definitely love it if I could make GLR go under the CAM-AM like that :)

And it would really be cool if we could make Tram in street, Tram on Road & Tram on Avenue be able to cross the CAN-AM as well :)

You'll need to use the canal-edge FLUP piece for the two edges. It should be the 7th one in the TAB ring - in amongst the Raised Road pieces. Use the regular straight FLUP piece (the first one) for the inner sections - be sure to line up the brownish strips.

CahosRahneVeloza

Quote from: CaptCity on November 16, 2011, 07:29:02 PM
You'll need to use the canal-edge FLUP piece for the two edges. It should be the 7th one in the TAB ring - in amongst the Raised Road pieces. Use the regular straight FLUP piece (the first one) for the inner sections - be sure to line up the brownish strips.

So that's  how it's done  :thumbsup: Thanks CaptCity.

Now off I go to update my road networks with Tram in/on pieces :)