• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Railroad crossings and other traffic props

Started by jondor, May 31, 2011, 02:21:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jondor

Quote from: mrtnrln on June 23, 2011, 08:19:28 AM
@jdenm8: Well, I guess that's the problem when you're making a T21 mod compatible with all texture sets...
@TiFlo: I've checked my files and I couldn't find anything what's causing the problem. I can't even replicate the problem...

When it's a question of Road and Avenue intersections, I always suspect the RTL and ATL plugins.  Those plugins use different intersections from the standard Maxis ones, so if you've created props for one, but not the other, some people will see them and some won't depending on who has those plugins installed.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

MR.Y

Hmm,
@jondor: I think the older version looks better
@maarten: Do you will make german ones, too?

MandelSoft

^^ yes, even better, these are already included in the first test version  ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

TiFlo

Quote from: jondor on June 23, 2011, 09:44:51 AM
When it's a question of Road and Avenue intersections, I always suspect the RTL and ATL plugins.  Those plugins use different intersections from the standard Maxis ones, so if you've created props for one, but not the other, some people will see them and some won't depending on who has those plugins installed.
I just tried with an empty plugin folder and a brand new installation of the NAM. Same thing, the new custom poles are there on road intersections, but avenues remain the same and the light are the Maxis ones in all cases.

On a side note, my avenue intersections don't put the lights on the opposite side (as it is in North America), and instead put them on the same side. The road intersections are fine though. I'm kind of at a loss now...

MandelSoft

Maybe it has to do with render settings. Try to set it so hardware...
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

TiFlo

I'm already on Hardware rendering. I tried switching it to Software, to no avail. This is weird.

jondor

Hey guys, sorry there hasn't been any development on the RR props the past few days.  I'm gearing up to go on a much needed week long vacation starting next Friday and getting things squared away for the trip has been taking a lot of my time.  &mmm

I've been playing around with timing for some delayed closing gates for a 4 quadrant setup, but I'm not happy with it yet.  I'm also checking out the model tweaker to see if it will save me time making mirrored and diagonal props.  I may or may not have one more update to show you before I take off, but rest assured, when I return it will be full speed ahead once more!  :thumbsup:

Edit:  I got the delay on the 4 quadrant gates set as best as I can.  Any more delay and the gates don't close until the train starts through the crossing, any less and there might as well not be a delay.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ki62sNft6t4?hl=en&fs=1
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

j-dub

Why is there one frame at 0:01 where both the cars on the TLA-3 and gates with lights disappear  ??? Also, why did whoever rate you dislike? I don't get what could of triggered that, maybe they do not like getting stuck in traffic for trains?

jdenm8

A bug in either the game or capture program, either is as likely.

As for the dislike, I have one word. Troll.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

jondor

Quote from: j-dub on June 26, 2011, 10:42:03 PM
Why is there one frame at 0:01 where both the cars on the TLA-3 and gates with lights disappear  ??? Also, why did whoever rate you dislike? I don't get what could of triggered that, maybe they do not like getting stuck in traffic for trains?

Trolls, yes.  Forget them, youtube is full of them.  I got some troll comments on a couple other videos that I axed and blocked.

If I wasn't working on animated props, I'd just post images.  But I think videos are more appropriate here, and youtube is convenient, so I'll take a few trolls.  I'm not out to get votes through youtube anyway.

As for the popping, it's the capture software grabbing from the screen buffer after the game has drawn all the static items, but before any of the animated items.  The animation is perfectly smooth in game.

That popping is present in all my videos unfortunately.  I'm not sure if I need better capture software, a better computer or both.

Turns out the model tweaker worked perfectly for creating mirrored and diagonal versions of animated S3Ds, so once I rotate and re-export some diagonal versions of my static props, I can start on the diagonal road x rail intersections.

Tarkus

It turns out these props can be offset and still function with the game's signal functionality, too, which wasn't the case with the old AVP/ATC props.  A test I did with Model Tweaker the other day:

This, of course, means we can have an American-style setups on non-TuLEPs intersections, without having to do RUL overrides on the T-intersections.  (Rather fortuitous development on Independence Day. :D)

With a 32m offset, it'll be possible to do this on NWM triple-tile networks as well.

-Alex

SC4BOY

Good observations.. will be neat if you can work the offsets properly for the general case

Tarkus

Thanks, SC4BOY! :)

Some additional progress on that front . . . got the MAVE-6/MAVE-6 + intersection signalized using this technique.

-Alex

Ramona Brie

Are these going to be built into the NAM or separate?

Opkl

Quote from: jondor on June 26, 2011, 01:38:28 AM
Hey guys, sorry there hasn't been any development on the RR props the past few days.  I'm gearing up to go on a much needed week long vacation starting next Friday and getting things squared away for the trip has been taking a lot of my time.  &mmm

I've been playing around with timing for some delayed closing gates for a 4 quadrant setup, but I'm not happy with it yet.  I'm also checking out the model tweaker to see if it will save me time making mirrored and diagonal props.  I may or may not have one more update to show you before I take off, but rest assured, when I return it will be full speed ahead once more!  :thumbsup:

Edit:  I got the delay on the 4 quadrant gates set as best as I can.  Any more delay and the gates don't close until the train starts through the crossing, any less and there might as well not be a delay.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ki62sNft6t4?hl=en&fs=1

Jondor, this is great!  I just had to go to youtube myself to see all of the other networks.  IMHO, the AVE-6 is the best. ;) For the TLA-3, do they really need the ped. gates?  It looks a little too cramp.

Blue Lightning

Wow. REALLY nice developments on traffic lights and crossing gates! Keep it up!
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Ryan B.

Gotta echo Vince's thoughts - I've gotta find me some time to be more active around here!  I had NO IDEA this stuff was going on!  Great work!

Oh . . . and any thought to some Texas-style horizontal signals?  ;)

jondor

Quote from: Opkl on July 08, 2011, 07:14:41 PM
Jondor, this is great!  I just had to go to youtube myself to see all of the other networks.  IMHO, the AVE-6 is the best. ;) For the TLA-3, do they really need the ped. gates?  It looks a little too cramp.

Most of these setups are just to show off functionality at this point.  They're all subject to change in the final release.  I do rather enjoy the AVE-6 crossing, glad you do too!

Quote from: Ryan B. on July 08, 2011, 11:38:01 PM
Gotta echo Vince's thoughts - I've gotta find me some time to be more active around here!  I had NO IDEA this stuff was going on!  Great work!

Oh . . . and any thought to some Texas-style horizontal signals?  ;)

The best part is, that would only take a few minutes tweaking to rotate the model and recenter it, so I imagine if you ask nicely someone would be willing to do it.  :)

It's been a fun vacation, but now I get to go back to work for a couple days and in the evenings get a Wordpress blog running.  On Monday I'll be back to work on the RR crossings and hopefully churning out some more videos for you all!  :thumbsup:

threestooges

I've been consistently amazed by the developments in this thread by everyone in it. Also, jondor, I agree, the wigwags, particularly the SP style, are my favorite. Easier to ignore, and highly possible for people to jump, but still very cool. Looking forward to seeing them released.
-Matt

MR.Y

Hmmm, could it be, that you forgot 45° crossings, or do you make them later?