• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

choco's attempts at BATing bridges

Started by choco, June 03, 2008, 09:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

choco

well, i wasn't going to show this....but it turned out fairly well.  extremely tedious, but the results of adding the textures directly to the model are well worth it.  furthermore, i figured out a way to use the default RHW10 textures for these bridges....so i dont think we'll need symmetrical textures.  this means, that any RHW texture mod will automatically update the bridges as well.....so those worldwide will not have to deal with american textures on your bridges..... ;)

please dont mind the lights......it was a simultaneous test to figure out these T21's......

deathtopumpkins

Nice choco!  :thumbsup: Can't wait to use these wider RHW bridges.

And that's a neat thing you figured out with the textures... it sure will be nice for people with international textures.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

KoV Liberty

So... How will the RHW 10 and the bridge connect if it is a Maxis Highway Bridge (transit not texture  ;))?

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

KoV Liberty

Possibly... But then the bridge would not function properly.

Drift

Adrian, I miss you man.

io_bg

If it has proper paths and if it's modded correctly it will function properly ;)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Pat

OMG Choco that is amazing!!! I cant wait to see you complete the pathing on this bridge!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

choco

in so far as connecting these bridges, i think there will be an override written.  since i can't RUL, this is in the hands of others atm.  the NAM contains no lots, so another solution was required; and there's already a good amount of puzzle pieces...... ;)

Pat: well, howdy stranger!  i'd love to show a pic of the pathing, but my laptop is hosed.  i have to recover the data pronto or risk losing the last months work.  USB ports dont work, wireless is down, and DVD writer wont recognize discs.....

basically, the bridge uses a single path file with 3 paths going 1-3 (N-S), and 2 paths from 3-1(S-N).  this just means the rotation of the piece is 180 degrees different, allowing ony a small texture replacement for the rotated pieces.  i looks very busy with drawpaths on.....

once i get back to the BAT, im going to try my hand with nightlights.....i was planning on starting the nightlight update for all the bridges soon.....provided i dont lose all my source files.... &mmm 

KoV Liberty

Hey any chance you ca create a bridge with a hump in the middle? Like the 7 Mile Bridge in the Florida Keys? Could you create it for a road?

Adrian, I miss you man.

Nardo69

Nice bridge.  &apls A wonderful candidate for the bridge type that is on top of my wishing list: a GLR-in-Avenue bridge ...  ;)

BTW....

I don't know much about bridge engineering in Sc4 but would it be a big problem to turn the two covered road bridges (ingame + the one from Threestooges) into street bridges? IMHO they are not the best choice as road bridges but both would fit a hole as a street bridge (maybe even with SAM functionality ...)

Take care my friend!

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

threestooges

You ask a very good question with the covered bridges Bernhard. I have a street bridge for my covered one, but I've yet to release it (and I think it needs some editing now anyway) mainly because we have not yet found a way to get SAM textures to automatically conform to bridge textures. If that gap can be bridged (so to speak) there will certainly be some street bridges coming. The main issue right now is that, to have SAM bridges, you would essentially need one for each texture which would overwhelm the menu, though it's not outside the realm of possibility.

As for the Game Covered Bridge, I don't know about changing the road texture on the model (except perhaps with a t21 override, but I can't make head nor tail of those, perhaps choco might know), but it should be possible to get one working as a street bridge. Correct me if I'm wrong choco, but it should just be a matter of copying the bridge model files into a new exemplar, or having the exemplar reference the proper model files.
-Matt

choco

Driftmaster07: i was giving it some thought, and may implement it in a current design......there is some extra syntax in the RUL to figure out, and a amny, many models to create.  for the time being, i'm working on RHW....but those bridges can be easily ported to other networks. :)

Nardo69: thanks! perhaps i'll create a little experiment...... ;)

to convert the covered bridges would be relatively easy.....if the existing transit texture doesn't bleed thru the additional flat model i'd have to add, then there shouldn't be any other problems.  SAM functionality is an altogether different problem, but it may be possible with some RULing.

threestooges
: you about covered it.....

i'll run a test to see if the textures bleed thru....

edit: ok, so the DVD burner will burn CD's.....better than nothing i guess.....

the paths for the RHW10...

here's the test i explained above.  these's a few glitches, but otherwise there isn't much to it. 

Andreas

Quote from: threestooges on May 24, 2009, 03:29:30 PM
The main issue right now is that, to have SAM bridges, you would essentially need one for each texture which would overwhelm the menu, though it's not outside the realm of possibility.

Well, you don't need a bridge for every SAM style that is available now - dirt road bridges don't make much sense, and of course we don't need a "parking lot bridge" either. So it's maybe three or four bridges (asphalt, cobblestone, red brick) which are feasible.
Andreas

Pat

LoL Choco I know been a busy bee lately lol...... Looking good and is that the bridge that was on the laptop btw lol  ;)

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

CasperVg

@ Andreas: I'd say a dirt road bridge would actually make sense to some extend;

All pictures courtesy to their respective owners.

Okay, maybe such bridges would look extremely unrealistic with a very long span, but I'd say that using them to cross smaller creeks would certainly be useful.

Your bridge designs are really nice, I've been using many of them in various cities of mine, and I like the outcome of them all. I'm looking forward to the release of many, many more!

Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Andreas

@caspervg: Yes, this particular bridge "style" would make sense indeed, but I mainly wanted to point out that a bridge with a dirt road texture on it would look a bit odd. ;)
Andreas

choco

Pat: unfortunately, they all were.  i travel alot, and mostly work on a notebook.  it was a good while since i backed up, so i would have been back to the March release files.....no worries now... :)

caspervg: thank you!

Andreas: its not like we're running out of ID's....so i dont see much of a problem either.  with Matt's new model, we could have roughly 4 styles, say 4 or 5 SAM texture variations.....giving a nice selection for users to choose from.  i tend to use a different SAM texture per region, so it was something i was going to come across sooner or later (if i actually played the game anymore.... :D).....

threestooges

Oh there's no likelihood of running short on IDs any time soon. I'm just thinking of the practicality of scrolling through 4 bridges for each style. Granted, you'd only need to install the ones you'd want to use, and then there aren't many street bridges out there as it is. I'll just need to get ahold of the textures. I remember there was some way to do that with the SC4Tool I think, but I can't remember how.
-Matt

carkid1998

I'd actually quite like dirt road bridges.

It could work for Peg's dirt roads and trolca's dirt roads if you used a wooden plank texture like the bridges shown in the pics
Sendona... Coming soon!

choco

Quote from: threestooges on May 26, 2009, 01:34:26 AM
Granted, you'd only need to install the ones you'd want to use, and then there aren't many street bridges out there as it is.
hehe.....well, it is my job to clog those menus..... :)

i'll get to the technical bits soon, but im thinking of adding the flat model at +0.3m, then offsetting (via exemplar) the Z height of the models -0.3m, as to remove the graphic glitches.  at that point, its just copying the exemplars and changing a couple values.

i'll start with my street bridge and make a set, and we can all pow wow on how we'd like to implement it.   :)