• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

VDK Watertaxi and Harbour Bus

Started by vester, March 04, 2007, 11:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmyers2043

I was looking at your white water taxi and it reminded me of another boat. I am wondering if you have given any thought to making something whimsical??  Something with racing stripes or checkered flag.

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

vester

I could do that, well I think I can. I might have to rework the uvw maps for the hull. Can't remember how well they are done.
Have found a program called LithUnwrap, which has helps me a lot speeding up placing textures on the models.

Do you also what the rainbow ?

jmyers2043

The boat is just an example.

I just thought that it may be nice to have a water taxi with some sort of racing theme ... for the sim passengers that wanted to get to their destinations fast.  :D
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

vester

Its been a while, where this project has been laying around. Have picked it up again.
Have started the modding part, but could not help myself, when Hogmeister posted some pictures of the Staten Island Ferries:

So I did a new version of the Venice Watertaxi:

Not quite the same size, but the colors.

figui

it's great to hear you're picking this project up again :thumbsup:
the ferrys are great and so the watertaxi.
nice addition to the game.

mauricio.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

SC4BOY

They all look fine.. studied and thoughtful.. There is a "hydroplane" type ferry that offerrs like 50kph speed on the Great Lakes here in Ohio.. I'll have to try to find some pics.. you could make one pic with it "on foil" hehe.. its pretty big too.

vester

SC4Boy: No need to fine any pictures. At the moment, my ONLY plan is to finish off the modding for the once I that is done textures for now

Well, have just finished of one last one:

This is also inspired by colors of the Staten Island Ferries.

vester

Here is one for our German friends:

Hrolf Kragi / Rolf Krage / Rolf Krake..... is a legendary Danish king.

I have chosen the name in honour of Rolf from Germany, and the other German members.

The colors is inspired by the S-Bahn in Berlin.

vester

Here is a new boat color scheme:

inspired by the Dockland Lightrail.

Guthrum Æthelstan was king of Danelaw. Londinium was the roman city, now known as London.

snorrelli

Very happy to see this project revived! New liveries/designs look great! :thumbsup:
Have you ever had the Prop Pox? Join us to help find a vaccine or a cure.

Totuna e dac-ai murit flăcău ori moş îngârbovit;
Dar nu-i totuna leu să mori ori câine-nlănţuit.

RebaLynnTS

Is there some where to get details on what angles to make the Bow, and hull of the boat. That has always proved to be the hardest part for me.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

vester

A really don't have a lot of data on the boat.
The original two boats (look at the first page I think you can find a picture or two of it) is sailing in the Copenhagen Harbour, connecting the city across and a long the harbour.

In 3ds max I started out with a box, decided on the number of of segments. 2, 4 and 3 on the different sides.
Then I made the box into a mesh. After that I started moving, scaling the vertices, by the eye.

It takes a lot of time.

I have tried to do as many details in the textures with the help of an alpha channel.

I then exported the mesh to MilkShape3d, to clean up the mesh. Together with an unwrap program I placed the texture.
Now I am just working with an picture editing program to do the textures.

Andreas

Those new color schemes are looking great! I can't wait to see them in the game. :)
Andreas

RebaLynnTS

Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

vester

Andreas, RebaLynnTS and Patrick: I am glad, you like it.

Have now done 7 ferries, skin and modding all done. There are still a few ferries to go, but I am getting quicker at it :D

Here is a list of the once done so far:

Venice Water Taxi:
original colours
Staten Island Ferries colour. orange/blue

Harbour Bus:
the original yellow color (København/Copenhagen)
Berlin colour: Yellow/red
Staten Island Ferries colour. orange/blue
Oslo Trikken (tram), lightblue/blue
Docklands Lightrail: Blue/red/white.

Beside this I have the following ones almost done. Need to recheck the textures:
The Gothenburg version.
The Oslo T-bane.
The Helsinki version
a blue/red version

The I might just try do one more, so it get to 12 mods in total.

vester

Changed the color of the Dockland Lightrail one:

Well, it's the same colors, but just in changed places. Named it after, Olaf Tryggvason. He is said to have founded the city of Trondheim
Why, you ask! Well the colors reminded me of the Norwegian flag.

figui

i like both, the newer and the older

mauricio.
first forums inhabitant from Uruguay..   first forums citizen from Uruguay..  first forums councilman from Uruguay..   first forums mayor from Uruguay..  first forums governor from Uruguay..
...i'm still the only one from Uruguay!

________

vester

Don't worry. Both the new and the older is going to be released.
The new one, was just the 12th and last (I think) in the package.

vester

Have finally got around to finish the skins of last ferries:

You will be able to have more than one ferry mod install at the same time.

Hope to release these soon.

Swesim