• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM 31 Central Bug Tracker Thread

Started by MandelSoft, March 02, 2013, 07:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swordmaster

Quote from: roadgeek on March 27, 2013, 11:51:38 PM
Quote from: roadgeek on March 27, 2013, 05:14:11 AM
Quote from: Indiana Joe on March 24, 2013, 04:55:22 PM
Yep, they've already tackled that one.  You can see the list of all the reported issues and their status here.

I looked for the issue I reported, and I don't see it.

OK, feeling ignored here!  &hlp I know it cannot be intentional, but it feels like a slap in the face to get totally blown off like this! I would really like this fix to be included in NAM 31.1.

I have some more I don't think have been reported.

http://imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img707/5421/l2overl0rhw8sdiagandl2o.jpg

It took me over ten minutes to find out what you were actually talking about. The Indiana Joe reply you quoted wasn't even directed to you. And your first pictures are behind a registration wall, so that's not helpful either.

Issues with RHW intersections and their stability have been reported multiple times and they're the one thing that is still on the to-do list for the bugfix release. There are hundreds of possible bugs related to it, all of them in the form of networks reverting to others or vanishing completely, so not everyone of them is going to be reported yet.

As for the draggable FAR and NWM problems, that's not something anyone else has mentioned, so it's probably due to a faulty installation. Please re-run it and go through all the options in custom install. You specifically need to check NAM Networks and Network expansions -> Fractionally angled networks -> Draggable FAR. The NWM is in the same section.

Cheers
Willy

CocoJones

Couldn't find a report of this issue on github:

NWM 4-lane OWR has loopy paths on the inner lanes (LHD if that makes any difference).

Tarkus

That's because that's not an issue.  Those are crossover paths, designed to allow traffic to cross between the two tiles of the network.  They can sometimes cause strange automata behavior, but they're vitally necessary to the functionality of the network.

-Alex

CocoJones

Quote from: Tarkus on March 28, 2013, 11:44:28 AM
That's because that's not an issue.  Those are crossover paths, designed to allow traffic to cross between the two tiles of the network.  They can sometimes cause strange automata behavior, but they're vitally necessary to the functionality of the network.

-Alex

The crossover I can understand, but these don't just cross over like the multi-tile RHWs, but loop back on themselves causing automata to get in endless loops and blocking traffic.
I haven't done long tests yet to see the real impact on traffic though (not enough volume to cause jams atm).

Tarkus

I have tested it quite a bit.  It's mostly a visual issue, with only occasional minor issues with the actual simulation.  The automata, by and large, are stupid, and they'll do stupid things, and can't always be considered a reliable indicator, and this is especially so with the strange behavior on the OWR-4.

The reason it occurs on the OWR-4 and not the RHW networks is because the OWR-4 is One-Way Road-based, and the .exe-controlled "tidal flow" mechanism play a factor.  The standard paths for each lane will reverse like normal, but the crossovers are unaffected.  As a result, we have to put crossovers going in both directions in order to handle both directions that traffic on the OWR could be going.  There's actually no conceivable way to fix this on an OWR-based network--I've tried for many years.  The only possibility of which I'm aware is to switch it to being AVE-based, but that's a whole other can of worms that we're not going to explore now.

-Alex

CocoJones

Ah k thanks, I appreciate the explanation!  :thumbsup:

vinlabsc3k

Sorry if already posted, but no GitHub issue. :-[
The lamps opposite to yellow line on Steel Girder RHW-4 bridge are the AVE or MHW one. ???
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on March 28, 2013, 12:43:41 AM
There's a lot of reports that come streaming in--sometimes, particularly if it's a similar issue to what's been reported, and there's some more critical issues that pop up at the same time, it can slip through without a reply--our apologies.  (Posting your image as a link instead of embedding it in the forum also diminishes visibility.) 

I've basically been treating Issue #80 as a bellwether for all issues relating to L2 networks, which are well-established as unstable across the board.

-Alex

Awesome! Thanks!

Paul 999

I can't drag out the diagonal avenue bridges whit the RHW. The terrain is good, min. 15m high.

I think that this i a bug by the new NAM. Before i can build diagonal bridges whit no problem.

Tarkus

That's a known issue and already fixed on our end.  The main holdup on NAM 31.1 is me--I'm fixing up the code on the L2 and L0 RHWs.

Also, a couple more on which to comment.

Quote from: Gamma4815 on March 25, 2013, 03:35:29 PM
Avenue x Avenue T-intersection seems to be missing some paths, although still functional

That's how Maxis designed the paths for that one.  It's not a bug, but it looks a bit strange.

Diagonal Avenue x Orthagonal OWR-3 paths are diagonal in the wrong direction.

As described in the NWM Readme, diagonal NWM intersections are not supported and offered as-is.  There's a very few of them that are in place and working, and we won't be fixing them until NAM 32.

-Alex

Rabbyt

Ok, 1st I'm on a G4mac not intel. My old NAM controller was destroyed because of a chinese "IM" conversion plug-in that activates when double clicking a .dat file, arrgh. I tried to extract the new NAM31 using the exe installer in an emulated Win98se environment which has the PC version of SCdlx installed. First thinking I could simply transfer the files across, but a few things went wrong. Not all of the resources were extracted using the default normal install and I couldn't transfer the files because the file names were too long for the older G3 mac that the emulator runs on.

2nd I think I was successful in extracting everything using Keka but there is no list of files to confirm. I attempted to copy the directory structure of the PC install but again it may be incomplete because there is no example to review. I removed the old NAM from September 2011, SAMv3, Suburban GLR & early RTMT resources prior to installing the new NAM 31. Long slow and tedious process of determining optional, necessary and alternate files.

In the old NAM "NetworkAddonMod2.dat" there would appear to be an instruction or texture? required for Oneway Roads. My existing OWRs do not display using NAM31 and trying to create new OWRs results in two end stubs with an invisible OWR in between them. Sorry no pictures I'm not familiar with picture storing sites. Side note I can draw new OWRs without NAM but the NAM drawn ones are invisible without that NAM file.

Also the GLR puzzle piece (1x1) for a straight segment appears as a multi-colour  square as does the preview of the starter piece for drag-able GLR. After the latter is dropped it displays normally as one square of straight segment.

Finally the alternate drag-able GLR starter pieces, is one of the two supposed to have an invisible base only showing the tracks on top of the ground texture?

Thanks for making this an interesting game nearly ten years after release,
LARRY

z

Unfortunately, simply extracting the files will not work.  Among other things, the directory structure of the files inside the installer is different from how the installer puts them in your NAM folder.  What you need to do is to run the installer in you Windows 98se environment, if that's possible.  (Otherwise, you need to find a more up to-date Windows environment in which to run it.)  Once you've run it, pack up the directory structure and transfer it to your Mac.  Notice that there are now two main directories:  the standard Network Addon Mod directory, and the new z___NAM directory.  You need both of them.

This is the only way to get the new NAM working on the Mac.

Gamma4815

Quote from: Tarkus on March 30, 2013, 10:46:21 AM
That's a known issue and already fixed on our end.  The main holdup on NAM 31.1 is me--I'm fixing up the code on the L2 and L0 RHWs.

Also, a couple more on which to comment.

Avenue x Avenue T-intersection seems to be missing some paths, although still functional

That's how Maxis designed the paths for that one.  It's not a bug, but it looks a bit strange.

Diagonal Avenue x Orthagonal OWR-3 paths are diagonal in the wrong direction.

As described in the NWM Readme, diagonal NWM intersections are not supported and offered as-is.  There's a very few of them that are in place and working, and we won't be fixing them until NAM 32.

-Alex

Thank you Alex for your reply. Been playing for 8 years and I barely just noticed those paths on that intersection. Never noticed it until now. I know that NAM 32 will be more focused on NWM but I was thinking that there were some fixes in NAM 31. I guess we will have to wait until then.

Don't worry about trying to hurry NAM 31.1. Take as much time as you need.

Nosimx

This Diagonal Rail Bridge ignores LHD mode.

The brown boxes: what am I doing wrong?

Uzil

RHW6S's pieces doesn't have the same sizes.

Tarkus

Yes, that one's been reported.  It's a minor cosmetic issue--I don't know that we'll be fixing that for 31.1.

-Alex

Smeel

Found a bug while using your 7,5m Road puzzles(which is a fantastic addition, love it). It seems like the orthogonal road over rail tile block rail traffic. The Road over diagonal rail works alright. Here are some sceenshots:

roadgeek

Quote from: Swordmaster on March 28, 2013, 07:23:10 AM
Quote from: roadgeek on March 27, 2013, 11:51:38 PM
Quote from: roadgeek on March 27, 2013, 05:14:11 AM
Quote from: Indiana Joe on March 24, 2013, 04:55:22 PM
Yep, they've already tackled that one.  You can see the list of all the reported issues and their status here.

I looked for the issue I reported, and I don't see it.

OK, feeling ignored here!  &hlp I know it cannot be intentional, but it feels like a slap in the face to get totally blown off like this! I would really like this fix to be included in NAM 31.1.

I have some more I don't think have been reported.

http://imageshack.us/content_round.php?page=done&l=img707/5421/l2overl0rhw8sdiagandl2o.jpg

It took me over ten minutes to find out what you were actually talking about. The Indiana Joe reply you quoted wasn't even directed to you. And your first pictures are behind a registration wall, so that's not helpful either.

Issues with RHW intersections and their stability have been reported multiple times and they're the one thing that is still on the to-do list for the bugfix release. There are hundreds of possible bugs related to it, all of them in the form of networks reverting to others or vanishing completely, so not everyone of them is going to be reported yet.

As for the draggable FAR and NWM problems, that's not something anyone else has mentioned, so it's probably due to a faulty installation. Please re-run it and go through all the options in custom install. You specifically need to check NAM Networks and Network expansions -> Fractionally angled networks -> Draggable FAR. The NWM is in the same section.

Cheers
Willy

Ok, I'll try that. Thx.

EDIT: Silly me...I thought that if you select Complete Build, you get the works.
Draggable FAR ROCKS!!!

smf_16

No matter what I tried, I couldn't get this working:

EDIT: Well, I continued messing around, and now I noticed that my L2 MIS system is completely broken.. I can't drag anything underneath it.. I tried restarting the game, restarting my computer and reinstalling NAM 31, still this happens:

Tarkus

That's well-known and fixed on our end.  We just need to check to ensure the new controller build (which has shed about 500,000 lines) isn't going to cause CTDs for the same people who were affected with the original NAM 31 release.

-Alex