• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

VDK Bats

Started by vester, August 16, 2013, 03:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vester

There you go:

Close up:

A little tribute.

On T-shirt you sometimes see Nørrebronx instead of Nørrebro.

APSMS

The pictures in your previous post is what SC2013 should have looked like, but that's for a different topic.

I think the benches look good; they might be slightly oversized, but as long as they are more subdued, I think it's acceptable.

The station is really coming together nicely; I especially like the desaturated yellowish-green; the RL color was...well, you know. I really like the clear roof. There aren't that many stations that we have that do this, and it's always fun to watch as they enter. Too bad Heavy-Rail trains don't stop at stations. Will this be released as an El-Rail station, too?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

gn_leugim

a small change but a great improvement I would say

vester

Thank you both.

Quote from: APSMS on November 15, 2013, 04:35:58 PM
I really like the clear roof. There aren't that many stations that we have that do this, and it's always fun to watch as they enter. Too bad Heavy-Rail trains don't stop at stations.
My was bat was an EL-station. You can find a link in my showcase (check my signature).

Quote from: APSMS on November 15, 2013, 04:35:58 PM
Will this be released as an El-Rail station, too?

That was the plan.

EDIT:
Did a export of the station:

...you can read it, Norobronx Carpets :P
... and you can just see a poster of one building I am thinking of doing ;)

Have to reexport it, as some of the zooms is missing in export :(

rooker1

Love the model and the name of the store. :D

Robin &apls
Call me Robin, please.

art128

Quote from: vester on November 16, 2013, 03:51:58 PM

Have to reexport it, as some of the zooms is missing in export :(

Ah. I know that feel. I once had to re-export a big model because one of the far zoom wasn't perfectly rendered, probably a FSH problem.  ()sad()

Anyway, looks fantastic ingame, Arne!
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Jmouse

Those last three photos are about as near perfect as you can get. I like the green texture now that it's a bit more subdued. The night lights look great, too. I'm eager to see the station in an actual game setting.

noahclem

Quote from: vester on November 15, 2013, 11:59:00 AM
A little tribute.

On T-shirt you sometimes see Nørrebronx instead of Nørrebro.

I see something else on the T-shirt  :D  Love it!!

The station is looking fantastic Arne  &apls  You really ought to get that RRW installed though :p

krbe

Nørrebro station is beautiful. A lot better than the original!

vester

Been working on get some bats exported. It takes foreveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer !  /wrrd%&

Yesterday I started playing around doing a version of the Roskilde Cathedral anno 1650:

Started by changing the apse roof.

vester

A little progress on the north side:

droric

Quote from: vester on November 24, 2013, 07:26:09 AM
Been working on get some bats exported. It takes foreveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer !  /wrrd%&

I would suggest setting Mental Ray's final gather preset to low.  I have considered making this the default for BAT4MAX6.  High final gather settings don't really net much in this situation.  I rendered my Morgan-Lake station using the low preset in final gather so it would cut down on the render times significantly.

PC Specs: i2700k @ 4.9 Ghz, 16 GB @ 1600-8-9-8-16, 2X GTX 580 SLI, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R, 120 GB Vertex 3 SDD, 3 TB RAID1, 1200W SilentGold, Antec P180B case, Win 8 x64 Pro

gn_leugim

or dont use mental ray at all  ;D ;D

droric

Quote from: gn_leugim on November 25, 2013, 04:00:35 AM
or dont use mental ray at all  ;D ;D

I do have VRay working for both night and day now...  Or were you referring to scanline?

PC Specs: i2700k @ 4.9 Ghz, 16 GB @ 1600-8-9-8-16, 2X GTX 580 SLI, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R, 120 GB Vertex 3 SDD, 3 TB RAID1, 1200W SilentGold, Antec P180B case, Win 8 x64 Pro

gn_leugim

No, I was refering to the render engine :p but that's me, I don't like mental ray in SC4   ::) ;D

noahclem

Nice progress on the church  &apls

vester

Thank you Noah.

gn_leugim + droric: So no none of you have any comments on the model itself ?

Scanline is another render just like Mental Ray.

Maybe it time to open up a new thread on bat4max here on sc4d.

droric

The couple things that come to mind when taking a look at your model are the different colors of textures in the roof.  Same with the brick it seems to be different colors/styles in different sections of the model (they don't seem to belong).  Other than that it looks fantastic!  Did you have orthographic projections to make this or did you do it by hand off of images?  I struggle with interpolating data when I only have a couple pictures of something.

vester

Remember that this building is about 800 years old, so if some of it have different materials that is due to the progress to use of materials.
The church was started sometime before 1200 and last chapel was added 1919-24.

Brick is very depended on the quality of the clay that they are made of.
Have been thinking of toning that difference on the dark brick used on the north east porch.
The last picture is seen from the north-north-west. The tower is facing due west.

[Click on images to enlarge them]

If look at this images you see two different materials, copper and zinc.
When you look at the copper it goes from brown to green. Stay green for long time, for then turning slow dark like on the towers in the above picture.

On this project I got my hands on a thick book on the cathedral with some good drawings in.
Here on the last version of the cathedral, the details is a lot sketchy. 
I started of my doing the basic volumes:

When I started this project I was living in Roskilde so I took some images, but the back of the cathedral was covered by scaffolding:

If you look at this image, you see that the copper on the towers has been replaced and is dark brown.

On the chapel on the left, the copper is started to turn green.

If I don't have a lot of picture of something, I use normal practice as a reference point.
Sometimes it can be good to look at buildings from/in the same firm / period / style.

gn_leugim

Ok, of the "I dont like the Max" to the "let's help this bat to get even better".

in parts:
-Model: It looks very well done and detailed, sometimes to a point where is no point in doing so, unless you plan the render in HD, which I urge you not too, because the file would be huge. But overall, it looks great and I wouldn't change nothing!  :thumbsup:

-Textures: about these I have something to say.  understand the reason why some have different hues and textures, ok. Nevertheless, in most cases, I see that the  textures tend to tile in repetitive pattern. For instance, in the main body of the church, you can see a consistent "line" of darker bricks on the texture, at least at three different heights (by the ground level, in the middle of the bell tower and at the level of the bells). this is the most notorious pattern of the brick textures, but others are visible. Also, the texture you applied is rather raw (one factor that contributes for the tileness) and look a bit naked, void of life. You say that the church is 800 years old, yet, not a single crack, moss, liquen or piece of little dirt can be found in the walls. Ofcourse, I am not telling to make it look like it is in ruins, no, but one or other detail, here and there, would do wonders ;) Finnaly, I see no gradients in the textures. they are essential IMO to make any model look 200% better. I can extend these tips to the roof textures as well.

I hope you find these tips useful :)  :thumbsup: