• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rural Renewal Project

Started by Chrisadams3997, September 11, 2007, 03:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisadams3997

Captcity:  You certainly can call me Chris :).  I'm glad it helped out.

Diggis:  lol, does that mean you can get him to do it :D.

Newsimaddict:  The gravel tracks are more inspired by the ruts left in pastures and fields where trucks commonly pass than a prepared road bed of any sort, though often to avoid mud problems, shells or rocks may be brought in.  Then of course the grass grows up around it outside of where the tires keep it worn.  That's of course the case for these, but a lot of them don't have any rocks, etc., it's just dirt.  What I'm thinking of doing eventually is taking the present textures and making a dirt version of them.  I'd give them the same texture IID's as the present one, so that you can pick which texture you want them to have.

Of course I could also give them new IID's and make new lots so that you could use both textures at the same time, but there's a lot more work that goes into that, and I doubt most people would want the extra lots, I personally wouldn't.  So...  Furthermore, if it does get turned into a draggable network, you'd be using up two texture slots for basically the same network.

Andreas:  I actually hadn't thought about using the diagonal helper puzzle pieces with the SAM.  If that works, then that's great.  But then there's still the old issue of how it would be pathed... or if you even want it to be.  Lot of questions, that I don't have answers to.  If you or Diggis could work as a go between with the NAM people, we can see if you come up with some solutions.

Chris

Diggis

I would suggest it doesn't get pathed and just becomes a draggable network to avoid pathing issues as it is essentially a 1 way network.

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: Diggis on May 21, 2008, 11:48:06 PM
I would suggest it doesn't get pathed and just becomes a draggable network to avoid pathing issues as it is essentially a 1 way network.

I wouldn't recommend that.

Pathing the tiles are necessary... otherwise the game would just slow down too much when laying down the stuff. Besides, it can be made unidirectional... I mean, this would look great even if it was pathed for both directions. ;)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Diggis

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on May 22, 2008, 04:19:18 AM
I wouldn't recommend that.

Pathing the tiles are necessary... otherwise the game would just slow down too much when laying down the stuff. Besides, it can be made unidirectional... I mean, this would look great even if it was pathed for both directions. ;)

But will we have a lot of head on collisions?

Shadow Assassin

Ah, pfft, who cares about those sims? :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Andreas

Personally, I think these particular tracks should be made into draggable ped-mall items. If we'd use a network that is able to carry car traffic, it might be a bad influence for the pathfinding engine, since sims might use them as shortcut. Also, it would look odd to see cars driving on them, but a few pedestrians now and then look rather convincing, I'd say. There are similar textures like these, such as the SFBT asphalt paths (using the good old Toronto Bike Path textures) or deadwood's and PEGs forest trail textures. All of them are suitable for rural regions, and car traffic would be rather rare on them - but not so much pedestrian traffic. I don't know if it's possible to recreate all the small bends and curves in a draggable environment, but perhaps we could use additional puzzle pieces for this.
Andreas

Pat Riot

which menus are the paths found in? i see them in my plugins folder but they do not show in game. I'd assume they are in the trees? but they are not there  ()what()

dragonshardz

Sweet, the RP has a beta and hanks for emailing me the files Chris.

~~Dragonshardz~~

Chrisadams3997

To reply collectively here, given the connected nature of the discussion, I like the idea of making them as draggable ped mall tiles.  All the solutions involving cars seem to have one problem or another, so limiting them to pedestrian traffic seems to me the best solution.  I think you've got it spot on Andreas in your post, as long as the implementation is all practical.  That question I leave to those who know more about the subject.  But I can produce any additional textures needed.

And PatRiot:
I depends which 'paths' you mean, we'll have to detiremine some nomenclature to destinquish them :D.  If you mean the gravel then:
QuoteI've placed the lots into the water utilities menu
, if you mean the draggable paths, they are in the flora menu, right below all the c.p. trees in my game.

Dragonshardz:  thanks, and you're welcome

I'm out of town right now without my computer, so won't have anything new for a bit.

Chris

Chrisadams3997

I'm back, and with just a little bit of eyecandy ;)

Chris

Pat Riot

I prefer vegetables but still, excellent  :thumbsup:

girlfromverona

Chrisadams3997

I found a number of ideas to work on during my recent road trip, one of them being several examples of overpasses.  So, here's a (really bad) picture of the overpass that the previous pic was based on:

This one is a much more urban design than the others I had in mind.  It's also the only one I've got a RL picture of, hence I started with it.  The next one I'm showing here however is very commonly what you can see on I-10 in rural areas, and is little more than concrete coming down to the ground level where there is usually some concrete barrier, and some support columns.  This is purely from memory, so if anyone sees anything that could stand to be changed for realism's sake, let me know:

Reed Grass

Also seen in the above pics are two new flora I've worked on.  The first I'll mention is the what I'm referring to as Reed Grass, as seen in the pic above, though there are a number of species it could represent.  This is commonly used in the US ornamentally on many overpasses, hence why I chose to make it, though it can be used just as well in a natural setting.

Johnson Grass

I also wanted to make a taller, more precise grass model, for smaller areas and more precise masking of borders between textures.  Or where one just wants a thick tall stand of grass.  For this I chose Johnson Grass as my model, a perennial weed across much of the southern US.  Here is a picture where I placed down a number of grass tiles and lined them with the Johnson Grass to give it a more irregular transition that covered up the texture change:

Chris

Ennedi

Rural bridges: that's an excellent idea!

The first one you showed (followed by RL picture) is very good!  :thumbsup: I only think it would be good to work a bit with brick textures, especially their colors.
The second one is modest, but it will be extremely useful. Road overpasses without any finishing don't look good in many cases. The underbridge texture will be also very good. We can't use offset wall pieces in some situations.

New grass: zip please!  :D Looks very good, but needs testing.

I'm preparing some test pictures for you, I will be ready tonight or tomorrow.

Adam :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

TheTeaCat

new flora oooh yes please  :thumbsup:
Look real good too

As for the underpass - excellent idea anything that covers up the area under bridges
I would agree with Ennedi about the colours and textures but for a draft its very promising &apls

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

andymort19832007

great fences! any europeans out there? im looking to recreate english farms, i need hedge rows and a way to make smaller fields. any ideas anyone?

toxicpiano

Well, everything looks great!  &apls &apls
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

Pat

Chris simply stunning stuff there!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

TheTeaCat

Quote from: andymort19832007 on May 27, 2008, 10:44:58 AM
great fences! any europeans out there? im looking to recreate english farms, i need hedge rows and a way to make smaller fields. any ideas anyone?

I know what you mean. I tried something similar linkie here
(see first pic) for my MD. While it works, it looks a bit clumsy but is that sort of what you had in mind?

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Chrisadams3997

Thanks to everyone who has commented.  To start off with, I've got the two new flora packaged up, and available HERE (link).

Edit: Superseded by new release.

Ennedi:  I'm thinking I'll bring the saturation down a little on the bricks, but the original is rather bright(though you can't see it in the pic, lol.)  I think I'll also stretch the bricks a little horizontally.

And I'll be looking forward to your pictures.

Derry:  Thanks for the thoughts on the overpasses.  I'm hoping people find them useful, I know I will  :).

Andymort:  It's an interesting idea.  TTC's lots could be a good option for now.  I might eventually get around to making some hedge props based around your pictures.  You could potentially combine lots and flora to make a fairly flexible system of hedges, and if the number of types of farm fields, you could make diagonals that would seamlessly connect different fields.

Toxicpiano:  Thanks a lot!

Pat:  Glad you like it.

Chris