• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rural Renewal Project

Started by Chrisadams3997, September 11, 2007, 03:54:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisadams3997

he, he, if I actually pull it off.  Merging it into the terrain is the hard part.

Pat

Chris,
 I do know from the earlier comment I made, I guess its soo hard to tell anything online and only one can assume the best  ;) otherwise,

&apls &apls &apls &apls wow!!!!!!!! OK you do got my full attention here and all I can do is sit and watch with excitment here and watch you work with BCP....  All the possiblty's here with this is simply opening up a new world!!!

gaaaaaaaaah I hate taking to long to think and type but anyways Chris I think it shouldnt be too much of a problem to get this to fit in the terrain properly...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Ennedi

This is very good idea. If you will have any specific problem with the terrain, we can discuss it, maybe I will be able to help?

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

mightygoose

that land bridge looks awesome but forgive me i have my acronyms all in a twist, what is TPW?
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Chrisadams3997

Transparent Ploppable Water

CasperVg

Looks great, it will be though to pre-align the terrain for it tho  ::)
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Ennedi

Quote from: caspervg on June 05, 2008, 03:54:03 AM

I think not too much :)
New Horizons Productions
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

klaascornelis

Quote from: Ennedi on June 05, 2008, 04:41:19 AM
I think not too much :)

Since the fences are usable on almost every slope i think it will be fine  :satisfied:

threestooges

That's a very interesting approach you are taking there. I know discussion had been had regarding lotted bridges, but I don't recall if anything was actually done or if it was just talk. I do like the idea though, and while it is not a "bridge" in terms of drag and drop roads, this should fit the bill nicely for those short spans over tpw. Good thinking.
-Matt

Chrisadams3997

Quote from: Ennedi on June 05, 2008, 02:23:11 AM
This is very good idea. If you will have any specific problem with the terrain, we can discuss it, maybe I will be able to help?

Adam
Quote from: caspervg on June 05, 2008, 03:54:03 AM

Ah, my mistake.  By 'merging with the terrain', I wasn't referring to terraforming the spot in game, that'll be specific, but easy.  It's being built to be placed in a 10m deep depression(compared to the road), no complex terraforming if you've got hole digger lots.  Rather, I was referring to the LOD and modeling work to make it graphically 'cut out' the terrain I want it to, then merge down into the smaller stream at each end.  There is still some testing to see if it will even act as I think it should.

Pat

Chris I do hope you can get it done the way you want!!! I will be watching with excitment to see you do it too!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

thundercrack83

You never cease to amaze me, my friend! You are doing some fabulous work here! Keep it up!

Chrisadams3997

Thanks guys.  I've got the basic model(still a lot to do on that front) exported and lotted, and for a first draft it works well.  Indeed better than I'd hoped for.

If you're wondering(like I would be) why there aren't any sidewalks, it's because that and the guardrail will be a separate prop(to simplify the LOD issue with them,) so they'll be there.  Just not yet.  The road is of course a real road, just like with many canal set bridges.  The big difference of course is that they are built on level ground...  Here's what's going on underneath:

Note the tile here--there's ground there, but then there's not.  No, it's not magic, just a little illusion.  The LOD's carve out an area of the ground just up to the road.  Here's what's actually underneath.

Finally, a look at the LOD's themselves right now.  Also shown is the outline of the actual terrain being built into.

Chris

JoeST

That is seriously ACE!

wow....

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Pat

Chris wow!!! Talk about making it look easy to do!!! Are you planning to dirty up the base there at all to give the dirty slimmie look???

Ennedi

Very good! :thumbsup: But what about water?
New Horizons Productions

Pat

Hey Adam I belive Chris is doing this for TPW use as a bridge...

Pat Riot

Great, looks like those bridges they have between the gillete stadium parking lot and the actual stadium.  :thumbsup:

Chrisadams3997

What, there's supposed to be water under bridges?!  :D ::)  It's not going to have a lot of water under it per say, no deep water.  This particular bridge is being made for small, low volume streams.  There'll be a small stream of water in the middle, with some small pools of water besides.  Then there'll a transition piece based on this pic:

The water will broaden out at the end of it to meet up with the TPW,   hopefully.

And Pat:
QuoteAre you planning to dirty up the base there at all to give the dirty slimmie look???

Does this answer your question:

The texturing has only just begun...

Chris

threestooges

Very good progress so far. I'll look forward to seeing what you do with the textures (something I've always had trouble with). I may have to try this system myself (if you don't mind) for a model or two of my own.
-Matt