• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vlasky

Amazing job on the bridge! And that reminded me that a few months back I did snap a few pictures especially for you guys cuz I was thinking you gonna like them:

http://imgur.com/a/MGqhP/embed

Sorry I don't want to take up much space in your thread and I have no idea how to post album so that was the best possible thing I could do. Hope you like them.
My Thread - Vlasky going global BATs - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15573.0

Kuewr665

That looks perfect for older railroads. I love it.

Gugu3

FlyHigh

Quote from: noahclem on November 21, 2013, 02:33:23 PM
Is no one else going to give Willy a K-point for two days of work on such an amazing conversion of the best maxis rail bridge?  ::)

Just give us a bit of time, noah :P

Very nice job, Willy!  :thumbsup: I didn't remember maxis' rail bridge was so... SD! :-X

Although, I think most steel rail bridges with that span (at least the ones I know) have no ballast at all. The slippers are directly set of the bridge structure which absorbs and dissipate the load of the train. Examples here, here or here.

PS: Vlad, my friend, you're link is showing a #404 error. What is the picture about?

PPS: By the way, I just love that train skin! The NAM *has* to make that available! (hoping really hard  :'( )
>>> Maxwell R. Black <<<

Vlasky

oh I am sorry. I tried to avoid posting big pictures since I don't know how to resize them but here it goes:

Thanks Serge for pointing that out!
My Thread - Vlasky going global BATs - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15573.0

APSMS

Well, that is one nice looking bridge, even if it's standard Maxis.

@FlyHigh, I think the reason that the ballast is there is because Willy only did S3d editing, which would have probably caused issues trying to introduce transparency into the textures that are displayed under the bridge (if the under-bridge pieces even have textures to display).

Also, anyone know the purpose of the apparent guide rail that both bridges and tunnels/underpasses have? Is it really a guide rail? I'm curious as to the rationale behind it and since I have no idea what's it's called I'm not sure Google would help.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

FlyHigh

Quote from: APSMS on November 21, 2013, 05:06:56 PM
@FlyHigh, I think the reason that the ballast is there is because Willy only did S3d editing, which would have probably caused issues trying to introduce transparency into the textures that are displayed under the bridge (if the under-bridge pieces even have textures to display).

Yes, it seems to make sense!

Quote from: APSMS on November 21, 2013, 05:06:56 PMAlso, anyone know the purpose of the apparent guide rail that both bridges and tunnels/underpasses have?

The check rails (I think guide rails are also a possible name in english) that are common in bridges, tunnels and curve spans of railway are there to prevent derailment (to some degree) caused by horizontal movements due to track layout or by the natural horizontal oscillations caused by the cone-shape wheels. They can run parallel to both rails or used only to 'check' one of the rails (this last situations is used quite often when the layout is a tight curve).
>>> Maxwell R. Black <<<

whatevermind

Swordmaster

Thanks everyone!

Quote from: FlyHigh on November 21, 2013, 05:26:56 PM
Quote from: APSMS on November 21, 2013, 05:06:56 PM

Yes, it seems to make sense!

APSMS is right. It can't have transparent textures, so there has to be some kind of base. I made it dark enough to suggest it's not ballast but some kind of plating or wooden structure. Anything more elaborate than this isn't gonna play nice with zoomed out views either.

Here's the bridge I based the texture on, and it isn't transparent either.

@Vlasky: Thanks for those pictures. I hope the engineer never has to get off his engine on that bridge :D

Cheers
Willy

kelis

WOW, The bridge texture is so realistic, I love it !! Excellent job as always Willy  &apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

rooker1

I missed this until just now.....I almost fell out of my chair. That has to be the best bridge ever!!!!
Fantastic work Willy!! Hope you can find time to do more.

Robin &apls &apls &apls
Call me Robin, please.

metarvo

Nice work, Willy.  This bridge will be just right for RRW.  Everything looks so smooth!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

vester

Quote from: Vlasky on November 21, 2013, 04:27:37 PM
oh I am sorry. I tried to avoid posting big pictures since I don't know how to resize them but here it goes:

There two ways of doing this.
One way is to open them in a editors. For resizing I use Irfanview. Open the images press [ctrl]+[R].

or by by adding width= or height= to the img tag:
[img width=600]http://i.imgur.com/XhbW21Gh.jpg[/img]
[img height=450]http://i.imgur.com/XhbW21Gh.jpg[/img]

eggman121

Great work on the bridges Willy.  :thumbsup: Hope to see more...

So I have been coming back to the catenaries lately and have started work on the Mini-Curves. Here is the first set of right Mini-Curves. There will be more to come so watch this space.

-eggman121

Kuewr665

Jack_wilds

:thumbsup:  the progress from the railway to the bridges to the cantenaries; its all very promising...  :)

Gugu3

Seems like I've missed your post eggman!
The catenaries just look wonderful!sooo real!
Willy any progress so far?have you ever thought about making a "secret weapon" video for the RRW?
Cheers
Guglielmo

FrankU

I missed it too. But hey, that are real fine beauties! Great developments here.

DJSun1981

APSMS

I think Moonlight's mod is all that will be done for a while, though eggman has shown interest in eventually porting the caternaries over to the EL-Rail network. I'd say it won't be for a while, esp. since all of his most recent work on curves is for the modified radius RRW ones, while the El-Rail retain the standard Maxis radii curvature (whole new set of T21 parameters for some of the trickiest parts of the network).

Because of the nature of the base network and the modding team responsible for GLR/ELR being mostly inactive, I'd suggest that reason as being the primary difference between the two potential projects; Heavy Rail is probably much simpler to mod.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation