• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gugu3

Simcoug

STR users everywhere are jumping up and down right now  ;D

Themistokles

Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

dyoungyn

It still AMAZES me how creative thinkers are breaking the GRID barrier.  The only limitation that really bothered me is straight and diagonal roads/highways.  NOW, even wider roads and FARR both Highway, roads and NOW rail is really making the game even more and more attractive. 

We should ALL be soooo thankful that this game is not given up on and forgotten over the past 13 years and a HUGE thank you coming from DIE HARD SC4 players such as my self.

mgb204

Quote from: Simcoug on January 18, 2016, 12:20:56 PM
STR users everywhere are jumping up and down right now  ;D

For me FlexTrack really started me off with this network, the usefulness of dragable overrides direct from DTR cannot be understated, not to mention how stable it makes STR in practise. Maybe needs some improvement in terms of intersecting with other networks though.

eggman121

Quote from: mgb204 on January 18, 2016, 01:22:06 PM
For me FlexTrack really started me off with this network, the usefulness of draggable overrides direct from DTR cannot be understated, not to mention how stable it makes STR in practice. Maybe needs some improvement in terms of intersecting with other networks though.

There are plans for extended STR overrides to make it more stable. Some coding including the connection between two pieces are on the cards as are the FARR STR and R4 and R5 STR curves.

Having Willy back is an absolute blessing! Even if it is for a small period of time.

FlexTrack is due to be rapidly expanded with new track pieces and functionality. But that won't happen overnight.

All the comments I feel are really encouraging and I am so glad the creations are making people happy  :)

I think for SC4 and in RL there is a shift to mass transit and I am glad to be on board for the ride!

-eggman121

Vizoria

Incredible, incredible stuff! It seems soon all networks will be draggable and need only starter pieces to get going. This will finally complete wealth tile unification and/or $/$$/$$$ tile consistency across all transport networks.

Swordmaster

Speaking of stable coding...

This took me a while to figure out. The original RAM included only three STRxSAM crossings, so I had to wade through the RAM IIDs to find some new spots for the rest. And update the T21s ;)

There's a decent amount of stability on either side of the crossing, as per your usual NAM standards ;)

I should probably add wooden beams to the two dirt crossings. This way it isn't very convenient to get across the rails.

Cheers
Willy

Gugu3

That is great!Willy are you back just for a short period of time? &mmm

woodb3kmaster

The recent development here is stunning! Between the improved/expanded NWMxRRW and draggable FARRW, I'm really looking forward to playing around with everything that'll be in NAM 35. I just hope that draggable $Network$xFARRW at-grade crossings are in the works as well - not to mention elevated $Network$xFARRW crossings (maybe in NAM 36)?

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

Swordmaster

Don't worry Gugu, the specifics of why I wasn't around don't apply anymore. Just regular RL may pop in now and then.

As for FARR crossings, that will depend on when the base is done. I'm gonna let Stephen do his work first, rather than have us both get mixed up right now. Coding is hard enough as it is. But long-term, we'll make as many crossings as technically possible.

Cheers
Willy

selles

The RRW development looks amazing! Thanks for all your hard work. I was wondering, is there's any way to get the RRW to cooperate with the Diagonal Bridge Enabler?

Gugu3

Great to know Willy!With you and Stephan together we can just expect amazing things to come :thumbsup:

kbieniu7

Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

mgb204

Quote from: selles on January 19, 2016, 01:41:13 AM
The RRW development looks amazing! Thanks for all your hard work. I was wondering, is there's any way to get the RRW to cooperate with the Diagonal Bridge Enabler?

The textures should show RRW on the bridges (that fix should be in NAM 33). But I can't draw a DBE when RRW is installed in my plugins folder. The workaround I've been using is to switch to a non-RRW setup to get the bridge in place. The problem with that, if you save whilst RRW-Only content has been plopped, you may find you need to rebuild it when returning from using the DBE. Therefore this is best done at an early stage of development. The DBE, renamed the ABE (Advanced Bridge Enabler) will be updated eventually, at that point hopefully this will be unnecessary.

APSMS

Is there a reason why RRW doesn't currently work with the DBE?

Is it the model based network, or is there some hidden slope coding preventing it from working?
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

eggman121

Quote from: APSMS on January 19, 2016, 11:53:55 AM

Is it the model based network, or is there some hidden slope coding preventing it from working?

None of those. It is actually because the RRW uses a different IID base. So the DBE is referencing the Maxis Rail Base while the RRW Diagonal Base is different. We should put it on the list of things to fix up for NAM 35.

-eggman121

mgb204

Quote from: eggman121 on January 19, 2016, 11:58:16 AM
Quote from: APSMS on January 19, 2016, 11:53:55 AM

None of those. It is actually because the RRW uses a different IID base. So the DBE is referencing the Maxis Rail Base while the RRW Diagonal Base is different. We should put it on the list of things to fix up for NAM 35.

-eggman121

I think the problem is there, if we change the IDs, then the DBE won't work for legacy users. So such a change needs to be managed to ensure it only overrides the DBE if RRW is installed. Is this reference in the NAM or within the DBE package? If it's the later, we'll need to offer users the choice somehow.

Tarkus

There's nothing in the process of making an IID able to support what's needed for DBE/ABE functionality that requires it be one or the other.  We can simply add the necessary exemplars for RRW and leave the Maxis Rail ones in as well, without issue.

The Rail exemplars are in the actual DBE file, however, as having them outside the temporary files was found to cause sidewalks to show up on the ends of Rail bridges.

-Alex

mgb204

Thanks Alex.

Stick the attached file in the DBE folder and it will enable RRW support. It's a temporary patch until the new release.